Should GU support so many sports (e.g., cross country)? Tied to the WCC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cair3
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

Should GU support so many sports (e.g., cross country)? Tied to the WCC...

Serious question: from the University's perspective (not just Men's hoops), is it a good idea to support all the teams GU currently supports? Assuming moving out of the WCC would be good for GU (I have serious doubts), should the complications from finding a home for sports like cross-country hold GU back?

Going further, even if GU stays in the WCC, should funds currently supporting some of these sports be diverted elsewhere? I think each sport should be evaluated on the costs and benefits it provides to the university as a whole.

Benefits:
    1) Increase awareness of GU.
    2) Help foster a sense of community at GU. Sporting events provide a source of common interest and "something to do". Sports help maintain ties with local community and alumni.
    3) Attract desirable students. Athletes may only choose GU because of the sport. Many of these athletes are smart, outgoing, ambitious, and leaders. They also drastically increase the attractiveness of the student body (e.g. women's soccer). Good sports should help attract a larger/better pool of non-athlete applicants. Most likely GU hoops is the only sport that could really help in attracting non-athletes.
    4) Attract/retain desirable faculty. It raises the prestige of a school. It gives you something extra to consider when deciding between two jobs. It makes a college town/small city a better place to live (something to do factor again), so faculty might be less likely to leave once they arrive at GU.

Cons:
    1) Divert resources from other more valuable alternatives
    2) Keep GU hoops tied to a conference that may not provide the most value

IMO, the only sports at GU that are worth officially supporting are:
    1) Hoops M/W (winter sport)
    2) Soccer M/W (fall sport)
    3) Baseball (spring sport) and it comes with volleyball for Title 9 purposes.
    4) Tennis (maybe).

All the other sports at GU could be club sports (e.g., GU hockey and Lacross). All the other sports do not really draw much interest from students or the community (at least when I went to GU). It is "nice" they exist, but they really only improve the experience of the participants (and those that are happy the participants came to GU rather than another school that supports the sport). "Student-athletes" who care about the "student" dimension more than the "athlete" dimension are actually the regular students who play on club teams, the intramural sports, and exercise in between school and work.
  • MBAGael
    Kennel Club Material
    • Apr 2012

I think i read that a college must have at least 12 teams in various sports to be in the NCAA.

Comment

• hondo
      Zag for Life
      • May 2009

In order to stay a D1 team the NCAA has rules as to the number of teams a school must keep.

Comment

• MTZag03
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2012

My experience on the track/cross country team:

No scholarships. The only benefit we received was one free pair of shoes per year. We were also given a stipend for food as well as hotels for the meets where we stayed overnight. We travelled by bus. The track team at least in my day was only distance runners, so we couldn't possibly compete in another conference as we wouldn't field a team.

Total costs to GU are minimal. I'm sure the dance teams probably cost about the same.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
          • Mar 2008

Crew may disagree with your position. Or at least three family members who were on the crew teams
          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• gamagin
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

so,

Originally posted by MTZag03 View Post
            My experience on the track/cross country team:

No scholarships. The only benefit we received was one free pair of shoes per year. We were also given a stipend for food as well as hotels for the meets where we stayed overnight. We travelled by bus. The track team at least in my day was only distance runners, so we couldn't possibly compete in another conference as we wouldn't field a team.

Total costs to GU are minimal. I'm sure the dance teams probably cost about the same.
            you can't pack multiple lunches and pay for, say, the cost of one of those shoes ? Y'all are all light and skinny enough so you could sleep on the bus. Or ten to a room. The front desk at the Motel 6 wouldn't notice.

C'Mon, jet fuel is expensive . . .
            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
              Bleeds Bulldog Blue
              • Feb 2007

The issue raised in the OP is a non-issue. Under NCAA rules, a D-1 school must field at least 7 sports for men and 7 for women (or eight for women and six for men). This must include two sports for both men and women. Moreover, every separate college season (fall, winter, spring) has to be represented by sports for both genders.
              You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
                The issue raised in the OP is a non-issue. Under NCAA rules, a D-1 school must field at least 7 sports for men and 7 for women (or eight for women and six for men). This must include two sports for both men and women. Moreover, every separate college season (fall, winter, spring) has to be represented by sports for both genders.
                Do they have to be in the same quality of league?
                "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• Zag 77
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

NCAA requirements

NCAA Division I Sports
                  Number of required sports: Division I members must offer at least 14 sports (at least seven for men and seven for women, or six for men and eight for women). The institution must sponsor at least two team sports (for example, football, basketball or volleyball) for each gender. The school also must have participating male and female teams or participants in the fall, winter and spring seasons.

Scheduling: Each Division I program must play a minimum number of contests against Division I opponents. The minimums vary by sport.
                  * Division I members may not classify any of their sports in other divisions.

By the way, Big Sky does not offer baseball, mens soccer, Mens Golf or M/W Rowing.

Mountain West only has about 2/3 of their schools offereing baseball, and it is crap. Does not offer M/W Rowing. About half the schools have Mens tennis.

Western Athletic Conference offers baseball, but it is crap. No Mens soccer, no soccer and no rowing.

Keep in mind that GU has just spent a $hitload of money to build a baseball facility capable of hosting NCAA Regionals and a $hitload of money to build the soccer facility.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2011

The entire school supports all the "curriculum". IMO, if Gonzaga wants to offer sports within the NCAA guidelines, as opposed to "club" sports, then the basketball program will help support crew just as much as it does art or music classes.

Apples and oranges yes, but all our athletics have stepped up a notch since 1999.
                    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2008

Anyone know the recent baseball home attendance stats for GU?
                      "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• cair3
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Feb 2007

Thanks for the NCAA. Reaffirms fit with WCC IMO

Considering the 14 team NCAA requirement and the WCC's strengths in some of these other sports (e.g., soccer & volleyball), the WCC probably remains GU's best option. The good news is GU hoops will not slide back to the middle of the pack as long as they stay in the WCC. BYU is here and there will be at least one other good opponent each year (BYU has a great recruiting class). If the rest of the league ever improves, GU will benefit from coverage by lots of desirable media markets. I'm not concerned with St. Mary's falling off. I think Santa Clara and USD are in the great long term positions to develop strong programs. They have decent facilities, great locations, strong alumni bases, and better academics. I think BYU and GU will raise these other teams up. There is no reason the WCC can not quickly become as strong as the A10 or MVC and in 50 years it might challenge the "new" catholic 7 big east. If George Mason, Wich St, VCU, and Butler make the FF then so can GU and so could any other WCC team. I'd rather GU hoops be consistently good by living in the WCC than take a big risk trying to taste greatness by jumping ship.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cair3 View Post
                          If George Mason, Wich St, VCU, and Butler make the FF then so can GU and so could any other WCC team. I'd rather GU hoops be consistently good by living in the WCC than take a big risk trying to taste greatness by jumping ship.
                          It is worth noting that except for WSU, which has just newly joined this club, all of these teams have jumped conferences to improve their recruiting profile.
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Working...
                          X