PDA

View Full Version : IF Kelly O Leaves

GUnawinit
04-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Is the GU cupboard empty? (Meaning to make another run)

Will GU ever see another #1 with their showing in this years tourney?

It hurts, this years showing may allow NCAA tourney officials and sports writers....a chance to have an issue with mid-majors.

Was GU exposed....OR

Not making a point here..

Just curious...whats on you're mind?

Ekrub
04-06-2013, 01:57 AM
Wichita state is a mid major.

jazzdelmar
04-06-2013, 03:33 AM
Half empty, not threadbare.

24 wins give or take.

Guard oriented offense but not DD Steppe level

Coleman is key

Weakest front court in a decade.

Not in long time.

Zagdawg
04-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Karnowski gets his opportunity to shine.

Hopefully he makes the most of his offseason -- conditioning-- free throws etc.

Enroll him in the Kelly O big man clinic and lets see what happens next year.

VinnyZag
04-06-2013, 08:15 AM
They're gonna have to score a lot next year. Defense looks bad, especially the bigs.

It has typically taken GU 3-4 years to reload. The last serious contender was '09. Before that, '06. Etc.

But, who knows? Wichita lost almost everybody from 2012, and now they're in the Final Four.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Butler, VCU, and Wichita have shown us how to do it. It isn't with flash, skill, or offense. It's cheap defense. We need to start hacking more early in the season and develop a reputation for playing hard defense. We may take a lot of losses during the season, especially early, but in the postseason refs tend to look the other way if you have the reputation. That's how all these other mid majors are making the FF. It's like that uncalled hack on Kelly late in the game that led to a transition NBA range contested 3 by Wichita. Sure, it's an obvious foul at any level of basketball, but WSU is not known for offense so it was just another cute, "good" little defensive play that won them the game. Look at our game @ Butler this year, they have that reputation for defense so it leads to them getting away with an unreal amount of fouls EVERY game.

We will always have the potential to make it past the first weekend, it's a matter of whether or not we will be playing our best ball in March. We never will as long as we are in this conference, but I do love being in the tourney every year.

DixieZag
04-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I am an optimist at heart. Thus, I am a big believer in Karno. I saw the skills early in the year when he had confidence and I think he simply needs time - - we will not have the inside game we had last year but it will not be bare.

I also think we have help on the way and don't know what our roster will look exactly like, so it is pretty speculative.

It would be great to get a defensive identity early, we will need it.

I also think that the guys are going to play pretty angry next year. They certainly aren't going to be the celebrated "talented" group that this year's team was. I have to think that this season's end was a bitter bitter disappointment to them and next year, without the hype, they might feel far losser and able to play "mean." That will not make a big difference during the reg season but it sure could late in the year.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-06-2013, 11:51 AM
I am an optimist at heart. Thus, I am a big believer in Karno. I saw the skills early in the year when he had confidence and I think he simply needs time - - we will not have the inside game we had last year but it will not be bare.

I also think we have help on the way and don't know what our roster will look exactly like, so it is pretty speculative.

I also think that the guys are going to play pretty angry next year. They certainly aren't going to be the celebrated "talented" group that this year's team was. I have to think that this season's end was a bitter bitter disappointment to them and next year, without the hype, they might feel far losser and able to play "mean." That will not make a big difference during the reg season but it sure could late in the year.

Well said, Dixie. I agree with all of that.

cjm720
04-06-2013, 01:44 PM
The trajectory will continue to trend up as long as Few is coach. Enjoy the ride

TravelinZag
04-06-2013, 02:01 PM

Love your optimism, and hope you're right. But, to be fair to Karno, KO had huge talent, huge motivation, great maturity and worked very hard for 18-19 months. Karno is younger, far from home, and only has 6 months to work before next season. A defensive identity simply cannot happen without one or two key additions to the present roster.

The loss of talent is great, but the greater loss is the experience and leadership. KO aside, Harris & Hart gave so much that doesn't show up in stats, and replacing their contributions is nearly impossible.

Maybe, just maybe, your optimism is rewarded: Karno makes great strides and two seasoned transfers who can play D show up. Wouldn't that be great!

DixieZag
04-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Love your optimism, and hope you're right. But, to be fair to Karno, KO had huge talent, huge motivation, great maturity and worked very hard for 18-19 months. Karno is younger, far from home, and only has 6 months to work before next season. A defensive identity simply cannot happen without one or two key additions to the present roster.

The loss of talent is great, but the greater loss is the experience and leadership. KO aside, Harris & Hart gave so much that doesn't show up in stats, and replacing their contributions is nearly impossible.

Maybe, just maybe, your optimism is rewarded: Karno makes great strides and two seasoned transfers who can play D show up. Wouldn't that be great!

There is one other reason for optimism on the defensive side of things, next year's team is going to go as far as Kevin and Gary take them. Gary is Gary - we all know that - but late in the year, Kevin seemed to really buy into the defensive side of the ball (also showing up with Barham). IF Kevin decides that everyone IS going to play D next year, he alone (along with Gary's example from way back) could simply "decide" that that is what this team is going to do. I think that last year's team was still Kelly/Harris's team to some extent (not that that was a bad thing), next year's team is definitely Kevin/Gary and will need other skills to get over the hump.

Pargo the Destroyer
04-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Shreks best games were against the doldrums of the OOC schedule. How playing against short inferior opponents translates into anything other than extremely cautious optimism is beyond me.

DixieZag
04-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Shreks best games were against the doldrums of the OOC schedule. How playing against short inferior opponents translates into anything other than extremely cautious optimism is beyond me.

I was lucky enough to have been invited to the Illinois game and he was the best Zag on the floor that night, imho, he was the only guy shoving back.

I am choosing to be optimistic about him, the coaches do VERY well coaching up our bigs, his confidence took a huge hit and he knew he had a diminishing role as Kelly kept poring it on, tough to keep one's head in the game in those circumstances. . . I love his attitude and his natural feel for the game, he is going to be good as soon as he feels comfortable again.

Oregonzagnut
04-06-2013, 07:18 PM
To quote Jack Palance:
Confidence is sexy. Don't you think?

Both Florida Gulf Coast and Wichita St had that confident swagger like no one else in the Dance. If confidence makes you sexy, then those guys were super studs.