PDA

View Full Version : When can a transfer play immediately?

TravelinZag
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Remind us, please. Transfers may play immediately if:

1. They have finished a degree & will pursue graduate study?

2. Their school receives specific sanctions? Which ones?

3. The head coach leaves or is fired?

4. The school releases them w/o restrictions, or w/ restrictions that do not
apply to the new school (i.e., not in the same conference)?

5. Other?

jazzdelmar
04-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Remind us, please. Transfers may play immediately if:

1. They have finished a degree & will pursue graduate study?

2. Their school receives specific sanctions? Which ones?

3. The head coach leaves or is fired?

4. The school releases them w/o restrictions, or w/ restrictions that do not
apply to the new school (i.e., not in the same conference)?

5. Other?

1. only if their new schl has a course not avail at old school...see Barham
2. case by case, see Oriakhi of Ucon
3. never happen...that wd produce a land rush and poaching galore
4. i dont think so....still sit a yr...except st joe which never releases anyone :)

why? someone in mind? :)

KStyles
04-05-2013, 11:39 AM
2. I believe they're eligible to play immediately if the sanctions preclude their school from participating in postseason play for the duration of that student-athlete's eligibility. I think this also involves a waiver, although if a student-athlete is eligible, I don't see why it'd ever be denied. UConn would've been banned for the rest of Oriakhi's eligiblity. I believe this is also the exception most Penn State football players used when transferring after their sanctions were handed down last year.

5. There's a lot of them, pretty much all requiring a waiver of one kind or another. With a health-related waiver, some financial aid/pay for play situations (with a waiver), academic program discontinued at current school, sport discontinued at current school, etc.

ZagHouse
04-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Could someone explain Nunez to me. It's my understanding he didn't log any minutes for Louisville this season...only practiced. Does that still eat up a year of his eligibility?

titopoet
04-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Could someone explain Nunez to me. It's my understanding he didn't log any minutes for Louisville this season...only practiced. Does that still eat up a year of his eligibility?

Yes it eats a whole year, but his year started in winter semester, when he transferred. He won't be able to play until the end of the Fall.

DagsZags
04-05-2013, 11:56 AM

I've been curious about this too. It was originally thought that Nunez would be available in the second half of next year because of the time he made his transfer. But because he didn't play at all during OOC is there a possibility that an appeal be made and he could use the 12/13 season as a redshirt year, and thus be available at the beginning of the upcoming 13/14 season?

titopoet
04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
5. Hardship. If a player moves to help an ailing family member as example.

KStyles
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I've been curious about this too. It was originally thought that Nunez would be available in the second half of next year because of the time he made his transfer. But because he didn't play at all during OOC is there a possibility that an appeal be made and he could use the 12/13 season as a redshirt year, and thus be available at the beginning of the upcoming 13/14 season?

No, he's required to complete the one academic year in residence at the new institution (Gonzaga).

TravelinZag
04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Yes it eats a whole year, but his year started in winter semester, when he transferred. He won't be able to play until the end of the Fall.

Okay, further confusion. I thought if a player did not play in any game, other than an exhibition, they did not use a year of eligibility. Do they have to be designated as a redshirt? Is the issue whether they were on a scholarship, even though they didn't play at all? What is the rationale?

KStyles
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Okay, further confusion. I thought if a player did not play in any game, other than an exhibition, they did not use a year of eligibility. Do they have to be designated as a redshirt? Is the issue whether they were on a scholarship, even though they didn't play at all? What is the rationale?

He didn't use a year of basketball competition in 2012-2013, so he's still got 3 of those remaining.

His issue is he's butting up against the "5 to play 4" rule, where a student has 5 years of college for 4 years of competition. He spent 1.5 years at Louisville and will have spent another one sitting out at GU, so come Christmas he'll only have 2.5 years of college left in which to complete his 3 remaining basketball competition.

In his case, half a year of basketball competition was essentially wasted by sitting out and then transferring midseason. He'd still have 2.5 years left if he had played for Louisville last fall, but of course the concussion took precedence.

Cush
04-05-2013, 12:32 PM
He has five years to complete four years of eligibility. To fit that requirement, by not playing in any games last season, he will burn his redshirt year. While he can't play until the end of the Fall semester next year, he'll still use a year of eligibility to play, because he will play part of the season. Had he played at Louisville in the fall, he would have lost that year of eligibility as well.

So the NCAA sees eligibility in terms of a season. You either played a season or you didn't. But with a transfer, they decide you sit based on an academic calendar rather than an athletic season.