PDA

View Full Version : OT: NPR Story on Hoops Effect at GU

Angelo Roncalli
04-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Some interesting stuff...

http://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/post/gonzaga-uses-basketball-boost-academic-profile

Once and Future Zag
04-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Minor factual error - first NCAA tourney wasn't in 1999, but in 1995.

Otherwise, it's obvious for those who were around there right at that crux, that it was definitely basketball...

MTZag03
04-05-2013, 07:58 AM
I was part of the class that started the fall after the 1999 EE (and yes I can say that I had my application in prior to the run). I can definitely attest to the rise in class size year by year. I remember a lot of people dropped out/transferred after the first semester though. Still it has really grown. The campus is hard to recognize now after only 10 years after graduating. I can't speak to the academic standards, but they were never exactly easy. Here's hoping to more successes for GU basketball and as an institution!

sittingon50
04-05-2013, 09:07 AM
My son started in the fall of '02. His first roomie was from Texas. He had been a HS basketball player & had heard of GU because of that. And though he never availed himself of a tryout, he stuck around & graduated.

jazzdelmar
04-05-2013, 09:27 AM
quite a contrast w our friends at Auburn......and Penn State, Rot Gut and Ohio State ....on an on....shld be a graduate course on how to build something.

Birddog
04-05-2013, 09:35 AM
quite a contrast w our friends at Auburn......and Penn State, Rot Gut and Ohio State ....on an on....shld be a graduate course on how to build something.

Well GU does offer the Doctor of Philosophy in Leadership Studies program.

jazzdelmar
04-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Well GU does offer the Doctor of Philosophy in Leadership Studies program.

the irony is that with all this Big East talk so many of its founding members and others followed much the same strategy in leveraging hoops to build academics -- closest to GU wd be St Joe, Providence, St Johns, Manhattan, Iona, DePaul....some were already pretty darn good -- GT, HC, Nova....i leave Fordham out of the mix as they have always wrongly considered themselves the Harvard of Mosholu Parkway....The Ram has been dead a long time, tyvm.