PDA

View Full Version : Wainwright's Take on U-19

kickball
08-15-2007, 09:05 AM
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=701757

gonzagulous
08-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Matt Bouldin, Gonzaga, MPG: 13.2 PPG: 13.0 3-pt FG: 33% (5-of-15)

"Really busted his tail. Matt had to way out of position for us because our frontcourt was so thin. He had to play at the four and even the five at times. But, he never questioned anything."

Nice to hear the positive remarks from Wainwright about Matt, it sounds like his apparent struggles weren't quite what they seemed. I was pleasantly surprised to see he averaged 13 ppg - I swear every time I saw anything posted here he had like 6 points.

Way to go Matt! Playing with everyone's favorite Zag characteristic - guts. Stick him at the five! He don't care!

hockeyzag
08-15-2007, 10:01 AM
http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2007/07_mu19_stats.html#TGBG.TEM

Not to be a downer but it looks like that was a typo. Matt averaged 4 points a game with 13.1 minutes per game. 3pt % was right on though.
Poor Matt is always having to play out of position it seems like.

lothar98zag
08-15-2007, 10:41 AM
His D may not be as good as many of us want it to be, but the above comment would seen to show that some of his foul trouble in the tourney was out of his control (guarding players a lot taller/bigger than him).

Of course it would have been nice if his O had been better...

CDC84
08-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I am of the belief that so many of Bouldin's issues on defense are the result of poor footwork and positioning. I noticed this last season and even while watching some of his FIBA games on the net. These are things that good coaches can correct. Matt has the height, bulk and necessary quickness to be a solid defender out on the perimeter. Maybe not great, but solid to the point where he stays out of foul trouble and can do a decent job containing dribble penetration.

MDABE80
08-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Saddens me greatly to read the RIvals comments about the crowd being very anti-American. Surely it's the politics of the day but I can't understand taking it out on kids playing some basketball. Such is life these days. Might explian all those fouls on the American kids .......all the while getting battered by the Euro style play. It's rugged and physical in International competition.

Matt will make that frosh to soph jump. He'll be much more mature for his experience. 12 games in 9 days though???? Rest up young fella! It's about 75 days will the season opens. All this talent.......it's been SO much fun watching the kids and the program develop at GU. This team will be most talented. I hope this team has the most heart as well. Matt will be better than he was in the first few games of the past season why most scribes had him earmarked for the NBA. Man ! Those tools!

LongIslandZagFan
08-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Saddens me greatly to read the RIvals comments about the crowd being very anti-American. Surely it's the politics of the day but I can't understand taking it out on kids playing some basketball.

Abe... I'd have to say that your comments are a bit of a stretch and a tad elitist. Lets keep politics off the board please.

former1dog
08-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Abe... I'd have to say that your comments are a bit of a stretch and a tad elitist. Lets keep politics off the board please.

LIZF,

I think that Abe was commenting on this part of the article, which was posted above. Not quite sure how you're interpreting Abe's comments but I would agree with Abe that it is sad that our kids were spit at and things were thrown at them.

"It was a very anti-American crowd," said Wainwright, who was aided by George Washington's Karl Hobbs and Drexel's Bruiser Flint. "The players were spit at and had things thrown at them. There are a lot of hard feelings there, and unfortunately your politics follow you. But the guys stayed focused. We had great chemistry. None of our players were in the top 10 in scoring, but we created the most steals of any team. They played hard, and I couldn't be prouder of what they accomplished."

MDABE80
08-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Yep...that was it Former. LIZ must have read something into my comment that just wasn't there.

Rangerzag
08-15-2007, 07:59 PM
I read it that Abe thought it too bad politics crept in shown by the poor reception the USA young men received.

LongIslandZagFan
08-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Yep...that was it Former. LIZ must have read something into my comment that just wasn't there.

It wasn't that I was focusing on, it was the hint that the fouls were politically motivated. I think I removed the wrong part of the quote and perhaps I misinterpreted. Yes, I think it is sad that people in other countries would assume that because they dislike our government, rightly or not, that it is OK to take it out on kids from the US or any non-governmental official.

former1dog
08-16-2007, 01:23 PM
It wasn't that I was focusing on, it was the hint that the fouls were politically motivated. I think I removed the wrong part of the quote and perhaps I misinterpreted. Yes, I think it is sad that people in other countries would assume that because they dislike our government, rightly or not, that it is OK to take it out on kids from the US or any non-governmental official.

:) You know we love ya, LIZF! :)

BobZag
08-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Sounds like Lance Armstrong in France.

Matt will get back to playing the 1, 2 & 3 at Gonzaga, and he'll be fine. Maybe this just made his post game that much better. Work on his D and, voila, bring it on.

Zags-Bsee
08-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Maybe this just made his post game that much better.

With the right person gaurding Matt, I love him posting up, especially with a bunch of great 3 point shooters he can pass too. He seems very comfortable in the post, more comfortable then Josh.

And Josh seems more comfortable shooting the 3.