PDA

View Full Version : Name game

jazzdelmar
04-03-2013, 02:19 PM
The American Athletic Conference is the new name for the former Big East Conference, according to sources.

The league is expected to formally announce the new American Athletic Conference name as early as Thursday.

In the Big East's final season in its current make-up, the league is going out with a flourish. Louisville upset Florida in the AT&T Sugar Bowl and five league teams reached the men's and women's Final Fours, the most from one conference in NCAA history.

Last month sources told ESPN that commissioner Mike Aresco favored America 12 Conference as the league's new name. However, the league presidents rejected that name because they didn't want a number included.

Besides the Catholic 7 schools leaving, the league also loses Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse to the ACC on July 1. In 2014, Louisville (ACC) and Rutgers (Big Ten) also depart the league.

To compensate for those defections, the American Athletic Conference will add full members UCF, Houston, Memphis and SMU on July 1; East Carolina, Tulane and Tulsa on July 1, 2014; and football-only member Navy on July 1, 2015.

The American Athletic Conference will be the third Division I conference with a variation of America or American in its name. The others: America East and Mid-American. There's also Conference USA, which, ironically, is the league where nine of the 12 teams in the American Athletic Conference came from.

KStyles
04-03-2013, 02:37 PM
I believe that'll bring the AAC to look like this:

Connecticut
Temple
Cincinnati
USF
Central Florida
SMU
Memphis
Houston
Tulane (2014)
East Carolina (2014)
Tulsa (2014)
Navy (2015, Football Only)

realtydog
04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
will only be 5 BCS conferences now?

229SintoZag
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
I believe that'll bring the AAC to look like this:

Connecticut
Temple
Cincinnati
USF
Central Florida
SMU
Memphis
Houston
Tulane (2014)
East Carolina (2014)
Tulsa (2014)
Navy (2015, Football Only)

Man, that really sucks for UConn.
They go from one of the best hoops conferences in America--to that.
Ouch.

CDC84
04-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Memphis probably wishes it had remained in C-USA. When they made their move to the Big East, this wasn't the plan.

Oregonzagnut
04-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Man, that really sucks for UConn.
They go from one of the best hoops conferences in America--to that.
Ouch.

On its face I agree this is a demotion. But if Uconn, Memphis and Cincy can't be consistently in the top 3, it will go a long way to show that the difference between major mid-majors conferences is a myth.

BobZag
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
You don't want to be the one holding the bag.

VinnyZag
04-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Memphis probably wishes it had remained in C-USA. When they made their move to the Big East, this wasn't the plan.

Looking at that list of schools, I think maybe they did remain in C-USA.

229SintoZag
04-03-2013, 06:54 PM
On its face I agree this is a demotion. But if Uconn, Memphis and Cincy can't be consistently in the top 3, it will go a long way to show that the difference between major mid-majors conferences is a myth.

I wish that were so, but there will be an explanation. UConn is not competing because they stopped getting recruits because they were in a weak conference so comparing the new UConn to the old UConn that could recruit and that had Calhoun is apples to oranges.

Or something. It's always something.

willandi
04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
...and now for something completely different (sorry Monty Python fans), and yet incredibly similar. The Missoulian had an article on the number of high end teams in the FCS (Div 1 AA) football that are joining BCS conferences. The latest 2 are Appalachian State and Georgia Southern.
What seems to be happening is that as the older BCS schools leave, re-align, change conferences, the FCS schools are being recruited to take their place, and there-by keep a viable conference. I believe those two schools are going to join C-USA, and it is expected that more schools will be enticed by the allure of potential monies.
Montana, and Montana State, along with Eastern Washington and most of the smaller football schools out west, are happy with the current status, the extra travelling and expenses make it less attractive to move up, while the 1 AA schoold in the populated areas are lured away.
Probably not the right place for this, but it seems that the topics actuallt do tie together!