PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk likely to declare per SSF

Pargo the Destroyer
04-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Bah.

While recruiting will likely consume the bulk of our offseason coverage, the first hump we need to get over is the NBA Draft. This season, the major headline is Kelly Olynyk. The former redshirt-turned star-turned All-American is high on everyone's draft board but he has yet to publicly state his intentions for the future. That obviously won't stop the speculation and today, Chad Ford updated his mock draft which has Olynyk as the 16th best prospect in the draft should he elect to come out. Ford also included this blurb about the Gonzaga All-American:

There's nothing really new to report on Olynyk except that Gonzaga's second-round loss to Wichita State doesn't look so bad after the Shockers did the same thing to LaSalle and Ohio State. We are waiting for Olynyk to officially declare, but multiple sources believe he'll be in the 2013 draft.

We obviously have no idea who Ford's sources are but he has historically been very keyed in to who is staying and who is going. Personally, I've heard far more rumblings that Kelly will forego his senior season than the other way around.

At this point, I have seen Kelly projected in the 15-20 range of the first round. With his size and skill set, there will be a number of teams in the mid-first round that will be able to take a chance on selecting a guy that has the skill to score from anywhere on the court. The test will be whether or not teams buy in to the physicality aspect as it relates to defending and rebounding. In the NBA, teams are far more likely to opt for a guy that can do three or four things well vs. a guy that can just do one thing very well.

This story will develop over time and it will all be a bunch of rumors until it comes from Kelly's mouth but I'm mentally preparing for a very different looking team next year that operates from the outside in with talented guards and relatively inexperienced post players. It will put a lot of pressure on Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell, Kyle Dranginis, Gerard Coleman, and company to perform at a high level but, if Kelly does leave, I think they will be up to the task.

BroncoZAG615
04-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Just as a quick note - it is per Chad Ford of ESPN.

His sources believe KO will be in the 2013 Draft.

Nothing official. Here's a link to Ford's big board: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/id/9123354/2013-nba-draft-nerlens-noel-remains-no-1-ranking-top-30-prospects

Mojo13
04-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Good for KO. Hard to argue about it.
If you are certain to be drafted in the mid-first round you need to go and get that gauranteed contract. It is the logical, rational thing to do.

titopoet
04-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Bah.

I maybe in a minority, but I think it smart for him to go. 1 round means a guaranteed contract, his stock is as high as will be. He has degree already. He has given GU a great run and another All American plus a narrative to entice future recruits. Come to GU for the best player development in the country. GU can maximize your abilities like GU did with Olynyk.

His dream has always been to play in the big league, and now the NBA wants him.

Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled if he returns. It just makes no sense for where he finds himself.

If he goes, I hope he continues his trajectory of improvement. Another good pro that loves Gonzaga will only help in the long run.

Mojo13
04-02-2013, 11:45 AM
I dont think you are in the minority. Every sane person on this board has their brain knowing he should go, but their heart wanting him to stay.

This is the best thing for Kelly - Go!

gu03alum
04-02-2013, 11:54 AM
here is a link to the blog post:

ESPN's Chad Ford: Kelly Olynyk Likely To Declare (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2013/4/2/4175298/espns-chad-ford-kelly-olynyk-likely-to-declare)

GPGUgrad
04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Opportunity only knocks once.

and you have to take it.

Good luck.

webspinnre
04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
I dont think you are in the minority. Every sane person on this board has their brain knowing he should go, but their heart wanting him to stay.

This is the best thing for Kelly - Go!

Yep. Desperately want him to stay, but it sure makes sense for him to go now.

sittingon50
04-02-2013, 12:03 PM
hijack this thread & I am in the camp that I wish he would stay but will thank him for his services if he doesn't.

OTOH, why did Austin Daye catch so much crap on these pages for doing the same thing? He was also a mid 1st rounder.

BroncoZAG615
04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
OTOH, why did Austin Daye catch so much crap on these pages for doing the same thing? He was also a mid 1st rounder.

Austin caught unfair crap for everything he did at Gonzaga.

Because he came to Spokane with hype and NBA aspirations, he was always viewed as a guy who had one foot out the door. Thus, he was never embraced by some as a 'true Zag'.

JPtheBeasta
04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
hijack this thread & I am in the camp that I wish he would stay but will thank him for his services if he doesn't.

People never warmed up to him, often complaining about his demeanor on the court. He is almost a forgotten Zag. It probably helps that Kelly was here longer (due to the redshirt)

combatcorpsmangulaw
04-02-2013, 12:10 PM
KO is gone -- Zero chance he'll stay in college. And, if he does, he's making a potentially devastating mistake.

Too much $$$$$$ at stake for him to forego the Pro Draft.

former1dog
04-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Austin caught unfair crap for everything he did at Gonzaga.

+Infinity

rijman
04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
I consider KO to be gone, if he returns it will be a shock and very welcome surprise.

Regarding Daye, part of the difference with KO is that KO was here 4 years and played 3 rising to AA. Daye only played 2 years and averaged 12.7 PPG his 2nd season, but hadn't reached the potential many thought he had. We didn't get a 3rd season, which may have been a big season. In the end we got a solid player with lots of potential, but not the great season like KO and Ammo gave us.

MDABE80
04-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Whiner and facial Contortionist in Chief Joking of course).....I liked him a lot though. Great kid...a bit immature but Austin did a good job.
As for Kelly.....it's the culture of money (ie get it while you can). He'll go but..... but ....but.......I do wish him the best of everything. Good family and good kid.

BobZag
04-02-2013, 02:02 PM
PG - Pangos / Stockton
SG - Bell / Coleman / Dranginis
W - Coleman / Barham / Dranginis / *Nunez
F - Dower / *Nunez
C - Karnowski

* Eligible mid-December

Needless to say, Few will be bringing in bigs.

cjm720
04-02-2013, 02:11 PM
I wonder where Angel Nunez will fit in. Bigs where are you?!

229SintoZag
04-02-2013, 02:24 PM
PG - Pangos / Stockton
W - Coleman / Barham / Dranginis
F - Dower
C - Karnowski

Is there a JP Batista available out there?

Pargo the Destroyer
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Wichita States' 2 best players are jucos IIRC. Gotta be a diamond somewhere out there

LynetteG
04-02-2013, 02:59 PM
PG - Pangos / Stockton
W - Coleman / Barham / Dranginis
F - Dower
C - Karnowski

This is good! I am sure there is a diamond out there somewhere!

OZZY
04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Let the prospecting / mining begin!

Mojo13
04-02-2013, 03:38 PM
I got one!
Kevin Thomas - Palm Beach St. sophmore. 6'9 PF.
Orginally committed to Texas, but didnt qualify academically (backetball prep factory screwed him over).

Great team player, not a big scorer (low double digits in Juco), but very good rebounder and highly efficient shooter (60% or so FG%). Great defender with hustle stats - steals, blocks.

Canadian - Pangos and KO know him well.

Palm Beach St. was the #1 ranked Juco team at one point this season, but ended up in the teens.

Minnesota and Nebraska are courting him. Go get him!

I must have more Canadians at Gonzaga... or I shall wither away.

exclusivelee
04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GJRO6Yf.png (http://imgur.com/GJRO6Yf.png)

I'm not giving up on Kelly. He still has 8 days to declare.

2 bigs coming for next year.

UKWildcatsFan
04-02-2013, 04:09 PM
I hope he does go pro, for his sake.

primal23
04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Can't say I blame him, weak draft, his stock is high. Wish he would return but wish him the best is the nba!!

Rbo
04-02-2013, 07:30 PM
If KO goes pro, Bakamus and Bhaskar need to step up big time.

GeorgiaZagFan
04-03-2013, 06:49 AM
KO is gone -- Zero chance he'll stay in college. And, if he does, he's making a mistake.

I too think he's gone ...but "potentially devastating???" a bit over-dramatic :) there have been a number who remained another year in college and benefited greatly from the decision...Noah and Horford, Tim Duncan, and Curry just to name a few off the top of my head. Very unlikely that devastation would occur ...more than likely that if he's NOT ready for the NBA ...an "Austin Daye" career may occur which I guess is also "potentially devastating" :)

titopoet
04-03-2013, 07:21 AM
As for Kelly.....it's the culture of money .

I don't think it is about money. Kelly's goal has been to play in the best league in the world. That is his dream as it is for most players. It is now within reach for him ... to play with and against the best players in the world ... to prove to yourself how good you can be. The money part is icing on the cake, but the goal is to play in the NBA.

Mojo13
04-03-2013, 07:57 AM
I am almost 99% certain KO would not get drafted higher in 2014 than he will in 2013. Even if he was POY.
This years draft is so weak and 2014's so strong no senior will be picked higher than 20 next year.

He could easily slip to the 2nd round if he gets hurt or doesnt improve.

MDABE80
04-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I don't think it is about money. Kelly's goal has been to play in the best league in the world. That is his dream as it is for most players. It is now within reach for him ... to play with and against the best players in the world ... to prove to yourself how good you can be. The money part is icing on the cake, but the goal is to play in the NBA.

Oh tito.....STOP!

zag944
04-03-2013, 08:46 AM
I wonder if KO has actually revealed anything to Chad Fords sources, or if they are just assuming he will because he should, as the majority of people here believe (myself included).

KStyles
04-03-2013, 09:18 AM
I wonder if KO has actually revealed anything to Chad Fords sources, or if they are just assuming he will because he should, as the majority of people here believe (myself included).

I'd guess some of his sources are probably NBA guys that may have info in regards to phone calls Mark Few has been making or not making on Kelly's behalf, etc. No way to know though.

Marcus
04-03-2013, 09:32 AM
One thing we do know is that Kelly's family will be very well informed on his draft position/potential. It has been reported that his family has some NBA ties and relationships with people in the league. Kelly's dad has also stated in interviews that agents have been calling him a lot. I'm sure he already knows how high or low he will go. I wonder if Kelly will wait to declare until the last minute. I think the longer the wait is a better chance for a return. Could mean he is struggling with the decision. Could be just wishful thinking too.

DixieZag
04-03-2013, 09:42 AM
I believe that Kelly's family has ties to the Raptors owing to the time they lived in Toronto -- so I suspect that they will have good info on his position.

Last time I looked, draftexpess had him going to the Jazz.

Oregonzagnut
04-03-2013, 11:22 AM

I agree, but sadly, I can understand why he got so much crap. Everyone knew Austin would be gone and Few took Austin in spite of that fact. I agree with Fews experimentation with a "2 and Done'er". Austin only spent 2 years here and Kelly spent 4 years here. He was a lock to be in the NBA before he even played a game at GU and that was a huge distraction for everyone. Austin had an aura of entitlement IMO and it is very possible that that sense of entitlement came from everyone else, not him. But still it was there IMO and it had an effect on the chemistry of the team and the overall team cohesiveness.

Also Austin didn't graduate from Gonzaga, Kelly did. Kelly redshirted and clearly sacrificed his time in a gamble to help both him and the team. Austin just seemed to be biding his time till the draft. Kelly seemed to use his time at Gonzaga for his personal benefit in EVERY way, especially academically, I cannot say that about Austin.

Academically, Kelly is not leaving early and since college is about an education first, I don't consider Kelly to be leaving early. He was on the team 4 years, but only played 3. Still, Kelly graduated, so he is nothing like Austin or Adam. Adam Morrison is closer to the situation than Austin was in because even Ammo only spent 3 years and left early. Adam gets far more accolades here than Austin does and Austin is still in the NBA.

I am very happy we had Austin and i do not think he failed himself or Gonzaga. I just think having a kid come in with the expectations that he is already going to be a millionaire NBA'er changes the dynamics of the team and isn't fair to all the upperclassmen who had to work that much harder to make up for the genetics and family history that Austin Daye naturally had.

MDABE80
04-03-2013, 11:46 AM
OK...here's the point: Austin =good, Kelly= good.
They're going to make lots of many with their basketball skills.
THE END.

Zagger
04-04-2013, 05:40 AM
KO has put in some serious time @ GU. He's going - just dragging his feet a bit. Why be rash or hasty? He's very likely putting in time with pals (teammates), coaches, family, friends, etc. in making his plans. I wish Kelly all the best and that he ends up with a team that he will excel with.

As for bigs ... Karnowski - Bet he comes back in 13-14 in a similar fashion that Kelly did after the redshirt. Karnowski & Dower are good. Dower's improving too. IMHO I think we have bigs nailed down for 13-14. With another year under their belts both Kevin and Gary are going to be very hard for another team to control. Add the rest of the supporting cast and ....... wouldn't surprise me if the Zags at least sweep the WCC next year.

McZag
04-04-2013, 05:59 AM
I hope he does go pro, for his sake.

Agreed. It's a win win for both him and the program. Turning out 1st rounders helps us in the long run.

There are worse things to be than a west coast NBA factory.

Nevada Don
04-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Nice thread GU.

If Delly got drafted (a big, big "if," but possible), it would be pretty cool if by some small chance they ended up on the same team.

DADoZAG
04-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Agreed. It's a win win for both him and the program. Turning out 1st rounders helps us in the long run.

There are worse things to be than a west coast NBA factory.

There are some that might say turning out busts, as Mo is seen by many, ISN'T good for the program.

That said, I'll support KO 100% no matter which way he goes.

Go ZAGS!

OZZY
04-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Nice thread GU.

If Delly got drafted (a big, big "if," but possible), it would be pretty cool if by some small chance they ended up on the same team.

Yes ND that would be rather ironic and cool at the same time.

It make it easier for me to follow the team that's for sure.

RRZagFan
04-04-2013, 01:21 PM
KO asked a ? On twitter about 20 minutes ago.

@BigKellz13: #shouldIstayorshouldIgo

MississppiZag
04-04-2013, 01:31 PM

That's the parody account, not actually Kelly.

KStyles
04-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Kelly Olynyk
@BigKellz13
#official K.O. parody account

ZagNative
04-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Has this, from Andy Katz (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/82874/3-point-shot-no-hurry-on-nba-decisions), been posted yet?

3-point shot: No hurry on NBA decisions

1. The NCAA's random date of April 16 to declare for the NBA draft isn't pressuring a number of players into making quick decisions. Coaches are now savvy to the date as being meaningless. That's why Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk may wait to decide until the NBA's own early-entry deadline of April 28. Olynyk is probably going to be the same player in the NBA whether he declares next season or this. He is a Wooden All-America and, if he were to return, would be one of the contenders for player of the year. Missouri's Phil Pressey is also weighing a similar decision over the next few weeks. A number of players haven't outlined their intentions but have plenty of time, like Miami's Shane Larkin, Kansas' Ben McLemore, Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart, Georgetown's Otto Porter, Ohio State's Deshaun Thomas, Syracuse's C.J. Fair and Michael Carter-Williams, Louisville's Russ Smith as well as Indiana's Cody Zeller. Cal's Allen Crabbe joined the list of draftees earlier Wednesday. I fully expect Indiana's Victor Oladipo, Louisville's Gorgui Dieng, UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad and Michigan's Trey Burke to declare soon. No official word out of Connecticut, but the staff is anticipating -- at this point -- that guards Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright will return (smart move if it happens, since they don't have an NBA home to go to next season).

jazzdelmar
04-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Katz doing his best.

Olynyk is probably going to be the same player in the NBA whether he declares next season or this. He is a Wooden All-America and, if he were to return, would be one of the contenders for player of the year. Missouri's

gamagin
04-04-2013, 03:17 PM
to turn pro. (1) he's finished school, been there for four years. He even has a masters in accounting; (2) he's 22, which is considered older in draft parlance (so I read). misc. fodder: Great year. 1st team AA. Healthy.

These signs spell opportunity. Too good to pass up. I say he goes for it.

MDABE80
04-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Katz doing his best.

Olynyk is probably going to be the same player in the NBA whether he declares next season or this. He is a Wooden All-America and, if he were to return, would be one of the contenders for player of the year. Missouri's

I noticed it too. Some kinda guy this Katz.....
Boy I wish we could have KO for another year....it's a wish......I'm usually not lucky with my wishes....

Bogozags
04-04-2013, 04:22 PM
to turn pro. (1) he's finished school, been there for four years. He even has a masters in accounting; (2) he's 22, which is considered older in draft parlance (so I read). misc. fodder: Great year. 1st team AA. Healthy.

The only thing we can hope for is whatever is best for him...I don't mean financially the best but for his career.

I personally don't think he will be a lottery pick and he might even go in the second round.

I think the way he was defended against Southern and WSU shows he is not as strong as we think. He had several attempts blocked and yes, he might well of been fouled BUT at the next level he will be playing against quicker, stronger and taller big men.

I didn't think money was an issue with AD BUT his father talked him into going early because of the money. AD should of waited another year, got stronger and checked his attitude. He didn't and he isn't getting the playing time and might be out of the league after his contract expires OR he won't be getting the big contract he thought.

Again, I am looking at this from a different angle...I only wish him the best in EVERYTHING he does for the rest of his life. We know he is a super person and very talented so please don't misinterpret my thoughts.

I recall Blake Griffin stating on TV, that he wished he would of stayed and finished school...just saying...

MDABE80
04-04-2013, 04:51 PM
That's the parody account, not actually Kelly.

What is this? Parody account??

KStyles
04-04-2013, 05:08 PM

I believe he finished up undergrad (in Accounting) during this school year, but is still working on his master's degree. I don't see that being a huge factor though, I'm sure it could be finished during the offseason or online if he chose to leave school and wanted to finish his degree as the same time.

Zageist
04-05-2013, 07:08 PM
hope he stays, think he'll benefit as a ball player by it, but let's face it, smart move is going. Draft value unlikely to improve.

BULLDOG#1
04-07-2013, 04:29 PM
OK, first round is a guaranteed contract, but the 'real money' comes at the second contract.... Unless you are considered lottery, which KO probably isn't. Many have come out early as first rounders, gotten the initial contract for decent money, but then never stuck after the first contract.

I don't see KO's stock dropping if he stays another year (even with a more talented draft in 14). The upside of staying is that he'd likely rise a little, but could rise a lot -- especially with a strong senior year fronting a top 10 zag team. That could potentially make him a lottery pick.

KO was great this year, but another year of fine-tuning his game would make him more NBA ready.

For these reasons, plus the fact that he loves the zags and they'd be considered as a real contender next year, I'd make at least of 50% chance he'll come back.

Birddog
04-07-2013, 04:50 PM
OK, first round is a guaranteed contract, but the 'real money' comes at the second contract.... Unless you are considered lottery, which KO probably isn't. Many have come out early as first rounders, gotten the initial contract for decent money, but then never stuck after the first contract.

I don't see KO's stock dropping if he stays another year (even with a more talented draft in 14). The upside of staying is that he'd likely rise a little, but could rise a lot -- especially with a strong senior year fronting a top 10 zag team. That could potentially make him a lottery pick.

KO was great this year, but another year of fine-tuning his game would make him more NBA ready.

For these reasons, plus the fact that he loves the zags and they'd be considered as a real contender next year, I'd make at least of 50% chance he'll come back.
And, next year he'll be 23 years old!

DixieZag
04-07-2013, 05:01 PM
And, next year he'll be 23 years old!

Yeah, THIS

I think this is almost as big a reason as the fact that he has graduated that there is no chance that he is coming back. It would be a completely different conversation if he were 20 and still had a year of eligibility but he is now at the age when it will start to hurt him, I would think. . . .

Mojo13
04-08-2013, 09:15 AM
The strength or next yearss draft alone will push KO down 10-15 spots in if he stays another year.

BULLDOG#1
04-08-2013, 01:55 PM
The strength or next yearss draft alone will push KO down 10-15 spots in if he stays another year.

10-15 spots down? wow. Admittedly, I don't know a lot about next years draft, but 10-15 spots seems a bit much.

I think the more valid arguement for going is the age factor.

I'd still put him at a 50-50 should I stay or should I go. If he could play his way to the lottery, that would be best. Lottery pick money can set you for life, other rookie contracts and you're playing hard to catch a break and get a decent second contract.

With KO, the zags should be top 10. Two solid juniors in the backcourt, a great addition on the wing and Dower and Karnowski playing more minutes in the middle... tough team. I'm guessing Dranginis will make a splash next year as well.

MDABE80
04-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Moot points all! We'kknow in 3 weeks or sooner. I'd think he needs more work. Age.is only important when the one and done types are in the mix. Few of them make it to the NBA. Ho wmany stick? Not many.
SO were back to 23 being old. Garbage./ Just not true.
All these reasons put forth as why he should go or stay revolve around money. If he wants the money, he goes. If he thinks the QUALITY of his game will improve with another year, so be it.
Either way, he is improved. We're all for that.

CDC84
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Another thing that people need to think about here is endorsement value. It isn't all just about basic salary.

Mojo13
04-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Most scouts and NBA GM's say this is the weakest draft in a decade with next year's being one of the strongest. KO's best shot of being drafted in the top 15 is now.

MDABE80
04-08-2013, 02:52 PM
OK Mojo...then he'll be drafted low ($900 K NOT guaranteed) but still leave. See how simple this is??

mnzag24
04-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Another thing that people need to think about here is endorsement value. It isn't all just about basic salary.

disagree. most pro athletes dont get endorsements, it's just the ones that do get thrown in our faces. he won't be in a position to get major endorsements until he's a few successful years into the league, altho maybe he could get some "hometown" stuff, but unlikely to be substantial in comparison to his salary

CDC84
04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
disagree. most pro athletes dont get endorsements, it's just the ones that do get thrown in our faces.

Most first round 2012 draft picks signed multi-year sneaker deals. Granted, the money Anthony Davis signed for is exponentially greater than Perry Jones' deal with Adidas (picked at 28). Generally speaking, if you're in the lottery, you will see endorsement bucks that go beyond just pocket change. The money might not equal your basic pay in some cases, but it's not something to completely dismiss when it comes to making a draft decision. Kelly is being talked about as a possible 2013 lottery pick. He also has some marketable qualities away from the basketball floor (his personality, being a first team Academic All American) that might make him appealing to some companies.

UberZagFan
04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Most first round 2012 draft picks signed multi-year sneaker deals. Granted, the money Anthony Davis signed for is exponentially greater than Perry Jones' deal with Adidas (picked at 28). Generally speaking, if you're in the lottery, you will see endorsement bucks that go beyond just pocket change. The money might not equal your basic pay in some cases, but it's not something to completely dismiss when it comes to making a draft decision. Kelly is being talked about as a possible 2013 lottery pick. He also has some marketable qualities away from the basketball floor (his personality, being a first team Academic All American) that might make him appealing to some companies.

Plus the benefit of many local endorsements that most of us do not see, that still can be worth money. He may become a local fan favorite and cash in on that. Or he may be able to get deals in his hometown area or whatever. Buhner makes a pretty good dime schlepping everything in the Seattle market but doubtful he has any deals outside of that market. Still this ain't Jordan/Woods type deals but still adds to the pie.

jazzdelmar
04-08-2013, 03:58 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130408/patric-young-returns.ap/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_sports

rijman
04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130408/patric-young-returns.ap/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_sports
I read the article on Fox Sports. Young is projected 2nd round in the draft and he wants to get his degree, so not too tough of a decision to stay.

kclubfounder
04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
After thoughtful consideration of all the valid points on this thread, I've now come to the conclusion that Kelly should stay at Gonzaga for one final year.

Kelly, if you are reading this, I am a really smart guy. I hope you take my advice.

mnzag24
04-09-2013, 05:51 AM

never said it should be completely dismissed. Point is, for most NBA draft picks, the NBA salary should form the primary basis of the decision making. No question the possibilities are there with his personality, style, etc.