PDA

View Full Version : O.T. PAC 12 officials

Pargo the Destroyer
04-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Oh man.

Pac-12 Head Of Officials Investigated For Bribing Officials To Make Example Of Sean Miller

Ed Rush—current Pac-12 head of officials, former NBA referee and director of officiating from 1998-2003—reportedly told referees officiating the Pac-12 tournament he would give them money or pay for a trip to Mexico if they "rang up" Arizona head coach Sean Miller.

Rush, according to a source within the Pac-12 officiating group, told a group of referees on the Thursday of the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas that he would give them $5,000 or a trip to Cancun if they either "rang him up" or "ran him," meaning hit Miller with a technical or toss him out of the game. Rush then reiterated during a Friday morning meeting, according to one referee in attendance, that officials should take similar action against Miller if he did anything on Friday in the Pac-12 semifinals against UCLA.

"He was emphatic about not dealing with him (Miller)," the ref told CBSSports.com. "He made that perfectly clear."

In the Pac-12 Tournament semifinals against UCLA, Miller was T'd up by referee Michael Irving—who, according to CBS's source, was present when Rush made the offers—with less than five minutes left in the game. Miller disputed a double-dribble call that went against Arizona guard Mark Lyons and argued with Irving that UCLA had touched the ball before Lyons picked it up.

UCLA was awarded two foul shots and eventually won the game 66-64. After the game, Miller was incensed about the technical and claimed he hadn't cursed or been warned or otherwise antagonized Irving.

The Pac-12 has investigated and issued a "Nah, it's cool. He was just kidding" statement, but CBS's source is convinced the only reason Irving rang up Miller is because of the meeting with Rush. The referee claims such a technical is out of character for Irving.

"It was absolutely because of what was said in the meeting. There's no doubt in my mind. It's a bad position to be put in."

"As a basketball referee, it's a horrible position to be put in by your supervisor," he continued. "If you don't do anything, you probably won't get any good games down the road -- or you may not get any games at all. That leaves us in a tough spot."

"He's a bully," the referee said of Rush. "He just bullies everyone. That was his whole tenor of the meeting on Friday. We're all afraid of him. He's the most respected basketball officiating person on the west coast and he's been given all the juice."

Bogozags
04-02-2013, 06:02 AM
Great Find!

Interesting, very interesting in that I watched Miller's lips and it sure did appear to be anything obscene that was said...not like Coach K's cursing at officials...

jazzdelmar
04-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Miler seems to be among the least obnoxious coaches, nothing compared to Crean, Coach K, KK, Randy, et al. Seems to focus mostly on his players.

Birddog
04-02-2013, 06:11 AM
"He's a bully," the referee said of Rush. "He just bullies everyone. That was his whole tenor of the meeting on Friday. We're all afraid of him. He's the most respected basketball officiating person on the west coast and he's been given all the juice."
Well, that is just a wee bit incongruous. Besides, everybody knows that it's really Dave Libbey that holds that lofty spot.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2013, 06:12 AM
PHOENIX (AP) -- The Pac-12 said Monday that coordinator of officials Ed Rush was joking when he told officials to target Arizona coach Sean Miller during internal meetings before the conference tournament.
Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said the conference investigated a CBSSports.com report that Rush offered a group of officials $5,000 or a trip to Cancun if they hit Miller with a technical foul or ejected him during the tournament.
It concluded that Rush was not serious in offering the incentives.
''I consider the integrity of our officiating program to be of the highest importance and immediately ordered a review of the matter,'' Scott said in a statement. ''Based on the review, we have concluded that while Rush made inappropriate comments that he now regrets during internal meetings that referenced rewards, he made the comments in jest and the officials in the room realized they were not serious offers. Following our review, we have discussed the matter with Rush, taken steps to ensure it does not happen again, and communicated our findings to all of our officials.''

Angelo Roncalli
04-02-2013, 06:18 AM
The last paragraph of the Times story was very interesting:

Veteran Dick Cartmell of the Tri-Cities, a five-time Final Four official, recently submitted his resignation from the Pac-12. Monday, he cited to The Seattle Times "personal differences with the direction of the officiating program."

http://seattletimes.com/html/collegesports/2020688931_officials02.html

mgadfly
04-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Miler seems to be among the least obnoxious coaches, nothing compared to Crean, Coach K, KK, Randy, et al. Seems to focus mostly on his players.

I sat behind Miller's bench a year or two ago when we beat them. After that, he is my least favorite coach in all of basketball.

Not defending the ref.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2013, 07:20 AM
I sat behind Miller's bench a year or two ago when we beat them. After that, he is my least favorite coach in all of basketball.

Not defending the ref.

why?

willandi
04-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Somewhat curious that the refs present didn't cover their own butts, and collectively file a protest AT THAT TIME! Kind of means that they went along with it.
Also seems like its on a par with joking with TSA about a bomb. Sure its a joke but YOU JUST DON"T DO IT!

And once again the Puke 12 assures us that their officials are fine, they do no wrong and it all gets swept under the rug anyway. Seems as though the P12 has lost institutional control of its refs, and their refs should be collectively banned from at least post season, if not get the death penalty. It will be interesting to see the NCAA response to the allegations. Don't think that they can just ignore it and hope it will go away!

cjm720
04-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Miller seems like a total ass out there...but this referee supervisor should be fired.

McZag
04-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Sad stain on the Pac 12. The conference needs to make a few changes, fast.

johno
04-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Wow, he makes those comments and the coach it T'd up. There should be a penalty. Just like judges, even the appearence of unethical behavior is wrong. Too big to fail?

CDC84
04-02-2013, 09:58 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-04-02/pac-12-official-sean-miller-arizona-coach-ed-rush-technical-foul

Astonishingly, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott’s reaction, following an investigation by the league office, was to declare that although the comments were “inappropriate,” the league concluded “he made the comments in jest and the officials in the room realized they were not serious offers. Following our review, we have discussed the matter with Rush, taken steps to ensure it does not happen again, and communicated our findings to all of our officials."

So it was all just a joke, and maybe the late-night bookers will be calling on Rush soon to see if he’d like to do a short set for their audiences.

This is not good enough for college athletics, just as it would not be good enough in the case of a coach joking about gambling and point spreads. I asked a former Division I athletic director what he would do in the case of that fictional coach, and he said he’d fire that coach immediately. “In my book, he’s crossed the line.” Which is precisely what one would expect.

Officials who work any sporting event have no quality more essential than integrity, and the games they work are the same. The major professional leagues and the NCAA have worked relentlessly to keep legalized gambling from spreading beyond the Nevada borders to other states on the stance that it would have the potential to compromise the legitimacy of those events.

Given that atmosphere, in which integrity is viewed as paramount, it’s impossible to see how the Pac-12 office could view Rush’s comments as merely an alleged attempt at alleged humor and not an action that undermines the foundation of fair competition.

rijman
04-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran Dick Cartmell of the Tri-Cities, a five-time Final Four official, recently submitted his resignation from the Pac-12. Monday, he cited to The Seattle Times "personal differences with the direction of the officiating program."
Refs work multiple conferences, but I have often wondered if say the WCC and Pac 12 head officials have different instructions for their officials. Are there slight differences on emphasizing or de emphasizing certain calls? Would Cartmell call a WCC game slightly differently than a Pac 12 game?

BobZag
04-02-2013, 10:42 AM
If I'm the Arizona prez or AD, Ed Rush would not be allowed to step foot on my campus.

rennis
04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Miller seems okay on TV, but I lost a lot of respect for him last season when he defended the actions of the players at Xavier in the "Zip 'em up" ######ation.

West coast officiating is terrible. A lot of banter on this forum since March 23rd blames the WCC on "not preparing the Zags for the NCAA tourney." Yeah, I think the west coast reffing hurts the team far more. The way WCC/P12 games are called has NO resemblance of how NCAA games are.

bartruff1
04-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Not defending the ref.

I don't have any doubt about what a jerk Miller is...but there MUST be more to the story about the refs...that is loony..

CDC84
04-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Coordination of officials at the conference level needs to go. It needs to be centralized. The problems will continue until this change is made.

surfmonkey89
04-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Coordination of officials at the conference level needs to go. It needs to be centralized. The problems will continue until this change is made.

Commie :)

CDC84
04-02-2013, 11:12 AM
In this particular case, I am a proud commie :)

This stuff being handled by the conferences just leads too much patronage and recycling of bad officials.

sittingon50
04-02-2013, 11:58 AM
I wonder if this was an issue r.e. March Madness?

Was checking all the box scores along the way to see which WCC Officials were working the Tourney & didn't find Cartmell anywhere. For a guy that has done multiple Final 4's this seemed odd. Assumed he was hurt (which he may have been).

DADoZAG
04-02-2013, 12:27 PM

Was checking all the box scores along the way to see which WCC Officials were working the Tourney & didn't find Cartmell anywhere. For a guy that has done multiple Final 4's this seemed odd. Assumed he was hurt (which he may have been).

Please fill us in on what you found as far as WCC officials in the tourney.

I've been fairly vocal about Libbey's gang in the past, but was somewhat pleased toward the end of the regular season.

Still, would like to know how many were in the tourney compared to other conferences.

Go ZAGS!

MDABE80
04-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Joking or not.what a terrible thing to say. It's something in a brain that needs to be expunged. The trouble is.that concept is in a brain forever.
He needs to be gone.
Seems like there much of this looking back on our games...less so this year but in the past, I 've been absolutely shocked at some fo the reffing one sided slants. Never can I forget the Nevada game in Seattle.som eof our kids ( Ronny comes to mind) would get called for breathing the wrong way. Worse----> fouls NOT called.
Fishy stuff. No doubt the structure of who does what should be centralized.and have a short leach on it as well.

sittingon50
04-02-2013, 01:06 PM
I tossed my notes (along with my remote & a few other things!@#$%) after the Zags exit, DADo. Too lazy to go back & look, but think there were about 14 guys that worked the first Thurs. & Fri.

There were 4 guys that worked the Sweet 16 that we see in the Kennel, 3 on a fairly regular basis.
There were 2 (different) guys that worked the Elite 8, but do more Pac games than WCC.

Hoopaholic
04-02-2013, 01:07 PM
only one I saw was Greg Nixon assigned to the Iowa regional...early round game

I couldnt find any other WCC assigned to a game for NCAA

sittingon50
04-02-2013, 01:33 PM
28th: Michael Reed (Cuse/Indy)
Greg Nixon (Marq/Miami)
29th: Mike Syphers (MSU/Duke)
Tommy Nunez (FGCU/Flor)
30th: Verne Harris (Cuse/Marq)
31st: Scott Thornley (Duke/Louis)

Hoopaholic
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
So how does Harris and thornley get third round games without doing second round games....thought it was all be merit and scoring of first or second round games. Interesting

sullyzag66
04-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Two years ago Cartmell made a controversial five-second violation call on an inbounds play during the NCAA Tourney. (http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/03-20-11-texas-charges-ref-with-robbery-rick-barnes-says-official-acted-inappropriate-in-controversial-heartbreaker/) He caught so much grief over the call that he made a decision to not officiate in NCAA Tournament last year and this. I did hear that he was scheduled to officiate at the WCC Tournament this year but had an injured ankle.

sullyzag66
04-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Refs work multiple conferences, but I have often wondered if say the WCC and Pac 12 head officials have different instructions for their officials. Are there slight differences on emphasizing or de emphasizing certain calls? Would Cartmell call a WCC game slightly differently than a Pac 12 game?
I'd be surprised. He left the Pac-12 for a reason.

KStyles
04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
So how does Harris and thornley get third round games without doing second round games....thought it was all be merit and scoring of first or second round games. Interesting

Thornley worked Iona/Ohio St. & Iowa St./Ohio St (http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/scott-thornley/schedule) on the first weekend.

Harris worked Wichita St./Pitt & Harvard/Arizona (http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/verne-harris/schedule).

sittingon50
04-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Sorry Hoop. As I mentioned, I was too lazy to go back thru all the games after having deep sixed my notes.

Thanks Styles for pickin' up the slack.

And thanks Sully; I hadn't heard about Dick's past issues r.e. the Tourney.

bmaczag
04-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Two years ago Cartmell made a controversial five-second violation call on an inbounds play during the NCAA Tourney. (http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/03-20-11-texas-charges-ref-with-robbery-rick-barnes-says-official-acted-inappropriate-in-controversial-heartbreaker/) He caught so much grief over the call that he made a decision to not officiate in NCAA Tournament last year and this. I did hear that he was scheduled to officiate at the WCC Tournament this year but had an injured ankle.

Cartmell worked the first weekend of games last year in Portland. http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/dick-cartmell/schedule?season=2011 Must have been the injury thing this year.

Hoopaholic
04-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks style

Birddog
04-03-2013, 03:07 AM
The longer Larry Scott keeps Ed Rush around and the more comments he makes on the subject, the worse this is gonna get. Any comment short of a termination announcement is fueling the fire. What the hell is he thinking?

willandi
04-03-2013, 05:49 AM
The longer Larry Scott keeps Ed Rush around and the more comments he makes on the subject, the worse this is gonna get. Any comment short of a termination announcement is fueling the fire. What the hell is he thinking?

Heard part of a radio conversation yesterday, and I assume it was Scott being imterviewed. If HE continues to maintain that it was a joke and that Rush was just kidding, then he (Scott) needs to go too. As somebody else has said, the ONLY thing that officials can consistently point to as a positive is integrity. They all will blow calls at one time or another, but with immpeccable integrity, it can be accepted. Now there will always be a doubt about the refs that heard the conversation AND DID NOTHING!!
Probably the best is to get rid of Scott AND Rush, bring in a new commisioner and watch every call and non call of every game, and see which refs deserve to keep their jobs. Get rid of any and all questionable refs and bring in some that are interested in calling the games right and making more money.

Zagpower
04-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Rush will be out by next season. They want to wait for a period of time to pass so it doesn't appear that there was anything to the allegation. The league will maintain this was a joke but a change will be made anyway I predict.

MDABE80
04-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Would anyone trust him to call a game honestly ever again? And that's the crux of it. He''s done......and he has to be.

DADoZAG
04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Would anyone trust him to call a game honestly ever again? And that's the crux of it. He''s done......and he has to be.

Agreed, Abe. Doesn't matter if you're talking about Rush or Irving, both will have integrity issues moving forward. Wouldn’t an educated student section have fun with this?

Understand, Sitting, about tossing things after the ZAGS loss, and thanx to you and KStyles for the info on the WCC refs in the tourney. Seems the conference was fairly well represented.

We all need to understand how difficult a job it would be to ref these games. There is so much action and things move so fast, it’s easy to grasp a missed call here or there. The human part of the game is what makes it so attractive.

That said, as posted by Jazz, officials must have integrity, must be trusted to call what they see, without bias, at least in so much as their humanity allows.

Since dead horses are common during offseason, and the OP is pending further info from the PAC12, has there been any further info on Dave Libbey’s practice of studying tendencies? If officials need to ONLY CALL WHAT THEY SEE, what good does studying a player’s tendencies do? Doesn’t studying past calls on a player actually increase the probability of an official’s humanity coming into play, of being bias?

Go ZAGS!

zag69
04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Confirmation bias.

BobZag
04-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Tucson is a happy hamlet tonight.

rijman
04-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Not surprised, it's for the best.

caduceus
04-04-2013, 05:45 PM
https://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz/status/319962629831524352

Section 116
04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Katz : http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9135767/pac-12-conference-ref-boss-ed-rush-resigns-technical-foul-bounty-scandal

Angelo Roncalli
04-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Larry Scott doesn't exactly smell like a rose. It looks like Jeff Goodman investigated a hell of a lot better than Scott did.

Birddog
04-05-2013, 04:53 AM
Some of the better stuff from the linked article.

There was uniform disgust with tactics Rush employed this season, notably during the Pac-12 tournament. Officials confirmed that Rush made the "joke" twice in a meeting during the Pac-12 tournament and then again that Friday after Arizona played UCLA, during which Miller was given a technical after a member of his team was called for a double-dribble. UCLA beat Arizona by two points.

Miller was then fined $25,000 for his behavior, but Pac-12 officials say it had to do with the coach being warned.

"Ed Rush doesn't joke," one official said. "To say it was a joke is absolutely not true. If he meant it in jest, then he had time to correct it the second day and he didn't. And the only coach he mentioned was Sean Miller."

Officials confirmed that Rush went into the meeting before the UCLA-Arizona game and was banging a chair up and down, demanding the officials perform at a higher level. And then, according to the officials, Rush hurled a boxed lunch against the wall after the game, nearly hitting one of the officials in the head.

"It was absolutely a form of bullying," one official said.

One official said the officials were worried if Rush had stayed on that their credibility would have been called into question because of the perception that he was telling them what to do.

"The integrity of the game was being messed with," one official said. "There is stuff you don't do. There was no joking about it. He was managing by intimidation."

Another official said officiating was hard enough, but their integrity being called into question would make their jobs even more difficult next season.

"To be labeled like this would be the most uncomfortable thing in the world," the official said. "People were already saying the Pac-12 has the worst officials and then you think we're cheating and being compromised? I've never seen anything like this. This has been personal, and for him to bring us into that with him was unfair. It was very difficult."

Another official said the Pac-12 investigator talked to the 10 officials in the room, but not Scott.

"We are a tight-knit group of guys," one official said. "We can't change what happened. A lot of officials didn't want to be in this league if Ed Rush were retained. Some officials have options with other leagues, some don't."

The Pac-12 said it will begin a search for a new coordinator.

Rangerzag
04-05-2013, 05:20 AM
From the quote within Birddog's quote:

The Pac-12 said it will begin a search for a new coordinator.

Libby???

Please.

Birddog
04-05-2013, 06:32 AM
From the quote within Birddog's quote:

Libby???

Please.
Something in that article led me to believe that Rush was head of all officials not just basketball. I'm sure they felt that his previous job as head of all NBA gave him the cred. I'm not sure Libbey has enough experience to head it all, but who knows. Maybe Cartmell would take over if the "Tan Man" moves on.

Angelo Roncalli
04-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Larry Scott doesn't exactly smell like a rose. It looks like Jeff Goodman investigated a hell of a lot better than Scott did.

Rutgers AD was just canned for his shoddy handling of the Mike Rice investigation and punishment.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/05/rutgers-fires-athletic-director-tim-pernetti/related/

Will Scott receive some scrutiny for his handling and whitewashing of the Rush affair? He should.

DixieZag
04-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Just reviewed the whole thread and I am astonished.

If one were asked, "how do you propose that the Pac officials make themselves look even worse heading into the off season. . .?" you could not have made this up!

If someone had proposed a script about GSL officiating scandals, this type of behavior would be labeled as "too out there"

The thing that has to be very frustrating is that I am sure that 90% of officials work their ashhes off to not only do the best job they can, but to LOOK like they are doing the best job that they can and one incident like this throws the whole affair back years.

People across the country will look and think "well, if the Pac head of officiating could demand a T in the conf tounament, why not. . . ?"

Terrible.

willandi
04-05-2013, 07:27 AM

Scott has to go too. If you think that joking about the single asset that must be protected by referees is OK, he doesn't have the intellect or experience to manage the P 12