PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Mariners season: "True to the blue"

gu03alum
04-02-2013, 05:18 AM
I'm not sure what the M's theme (true to the blue) means this year, but who cares. They won and Felix was awesome! Brett Anderson was also awesome. The M's offense looked very similar to the one we had last year even though they added "veteran power hitters". I almost turned off the game after the first four batters struck out for the M's. Luckily, Felix was throwing a perfect game at that point and I didn't want to miss history. Obviously, it's just one game, but I have a hard time believing the team will be any better than last year. The rotation after Felix is very worrysome. I don't really trust any of those guys, especially with the ballpark getting smaller. I guess I need to enjoy the win now and worry about the rest later.

webspinnre
04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Got a little dicey late, but we pulled through. Felix was outstanding. The downside is we've only got one Felix, and we've got the same hitters every night.

Eroop22
04-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Its always nice to start the season with a W. I am going to try and stay positive. I am hoping that Oakland kind of drops back to the team they were in 2011. Combine that with playing the quadruple A Houston Astros 19 times I think 85-90 W's isn't just a pipe dream.

gu03alum
04-03-2013, 02:08 AM
Good win last night. I fell asleep as soon as the game started, but luckily woke up as Morse hit his 3 run home run. This is the M's team I think the front office was hoping to get. The real test will be the next 3 days when Saunders, Maurer, and Beaven pitch. I hope they pitch well.

webspinnre
04-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Exactly. Felix, Hisashi and pray for rain?

Eroop22
04-03-2013, 09:20 AM
The real test will be the next 3 days when Saunders, Maurer, and Beaven pitch. I hope they pitch well.

Still trying to be positive hopefully at least one of them steps up and has a good year.

gu03alum
04-03-2013, 09:22 AM
If the M's win 80% of Felix's starts, 60% of Iwakuma's starts, and 33% of the starts of Saunders, Maurer, and Beaven, they could have a decent record this year. If that's going to happen though this team needs to hit like they did yesterday.

webspinnre
04-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Not optimistic on Beavan, he appears to be mostly terrible. Saunders might be able to give us the standard 4/5 starter routine, and then I'm hoping either Maurer or Erasmo Ramirez can be useful, and maybe by July we'll get Hultzen up if he can get the command taken care of.

gu03alum
04-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Joe Saunders sucked last night. I was feeling pretty good with the two home runs in the first inning. I think we will see a lot of solo shots this year because this team is not good at getting on base.

gu03alum
04-04-2013, 02:40 AM
"@RyanDivish: Joe Saunders on struggling with the grip: "It was hard. I felt like the balls had some funny stuff on them. ""

What a bunch of bull ####. Pitch better Saunders

Eroop22
04-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Joe Saunders sucked last night. I was feeling pretty good with the two home runs in the first inning. I think we will see a lot of solo shots this year because this team is not good at getting on base.

He really did suck last night. It could of been worse if not for that pretty awesome relay play in the 2nd to get Freiman out at the plate. He was also lucky to get out of the 3rd inning only giving up one run.

webspinnre
04-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Just terrible control, all over the map. When you have the kind of stuff he has mediocre, you can't get away with poor command.

willandi
04-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Well...there goes the undefeated season!

gu03alum
04-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Morse with a solo shot. We need some base runners. I didn't get to see the game, but it's disappointing that Maurer gave up 6 runs and only struck out one hitter.

sittingon50
04-04-2013, 07:15 PM
for rain?

Web, are you showing your age?

:D

webspinnre
04-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Heh. Student of the game. Loved baseball all my life, and that's one of my favorite sayings. Just has a ring to it, "Spahn, Sain and pray for rain."

sittingon50
04-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Being an "old" lefty myself, Warren Spahn has a special place in my heart.

gu03alum
04-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Felix has a no hitter through 3 1/3 innings!!!

gu03alum
04-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Felix has a no hitter through 3 1/3 innings!!!

Damn it, I jinxed it.

gu03alum
04-06-2013, 10:35 AM
M's have 2 runners on with no out and shoppac at the plate in the fifth inning and wedge is bunting. 2 foul balls and then a strikeout. Way to kill the inning Eric Wedge.

gu03alum
04-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Awesome, double play.

FIRE Eric Wedge!

gu03alum
04-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Have I mentioned Mike Morse sucks at everything except home runs. What a terrible play on that ball giving up the triple. Felix doesn't deserve having Ibanez and Morse in the outfield behind him.

gu03alum
04-08-2013, 06:38 PM
2 innings into this start, Joe Saunders looks so much better than his last start.

ziggerzagger
04-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Certainly seemed to be in better control tonight, but this Astros team is probably worse than the one that lost 107 of 162 games last year. Most of these players are stretch AAA players or scrap-heap castoffs. Alex Rodriguez makes more than the Astros Opening Day roster does this year ...

That said, Welcome to the AL West Astros! Maybe the Mariners can go 19-0 against them? :pray:

Eroop22
04-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Since I am trying to be positive about the Mariners this year. I would like to point out that Ackley is only hitting .087 but he has scored every time he has got on base. Which is pretty awesome so lets hope that trend continues and he ups his average to somewhere near the Mendoza line.

gu03alum
04-25-2013, 04:01 AM
I love the Mariners. They are my favorite team in my favorite sport. Man this season sucks already. I'm seriously regretting purchasing mlb.tv. I have plans to go up to Pittsburgh on May 8 to watch them play the Pirates. I don't know if I can subject my wife and daughter to this torture.

Eroop22
04-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Yeah I am pretty much done for the season already. Hell we cant even beat the Astros.

gu03alum
04-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Yeah I am pretty much done for the season already. Hell we cant even beat the Astros.

So frustrating. I want to start rooting for the Nationals since I work a mile from the stadium, but it feels like I'm cheating on my wife. So like my marriage I'll just casually watch and flirt with the Nats.

sittingon50
04-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Other than watching Felix shut someone out (& MAYBE get a win) it's like a policeman doing crowd control:

"Move along folks. Nothing to see here."

Eroop22
04-25-2013, 12:52 PM
So frustrating. I want to start rooting for the Nationals since I work a mile from the stadium, but it feels like I'm cheating on my wife. So like my marriage I'll just casually watch and flirt with the Nats.

My biggest problem with the Mariners is that there seems to be no hope. Even in the Seahawks darkest days there was always hope they could get better. Sometimes I wish I could pick a different team. But when it comes to my sports teams I am like a Bald Eagle and mate for life.

webspinnre
04-25-2013, 01:15 PM
And there's no hope because there's not much of a plan. Witness this offseason. Where's the vision? We traded one version of a bad offense for a different version of a bad offense.

gu03alum
04-29-2013, 04:10 AM
After two days of Felix and Iwakuma I'm back on the bandwagon. I expect to be off again in three days.

bullzag23
04-29-2013, 11:56 AM
After two days of Felix and Iwakuma I'm back on the bandwagon. I expect to be off again in three days.

Loving what Iwakuma's doing this year, but the offense needs to step up behind him (or really anyone for that matter). He's on my fantasy team and I'm getting tired of no decisions...

gu03alum
05-01-2013, 05:42 AM
It's bad, but at least we're not Angels fans

The Mariners got very lucky this winter (http://www.ussmariner.com/2013/04/30/the-mariners-got-very-lucky-this-winter/)

What the Angels are going to do in a few years when they’re paying Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton a combined $60 million per year to be average players is going to be pretty interesting, especially given that they probably have the worst farm system in baseball right now. The Angels were supposed to be mortgaging their future for some present greatness, and then they’d use the revenues from all that winning to offset their future problems. That plan might work if you’re winning, but right now, the Angels are a mess and their 2013 season might result in the same kind of organizational reboot that I think the Mariners are headed for. Only their reboot is going to have to work around a few hundred million in bad contracts, and they have little help coming through the farm system.

So, next time you look at the Mariners roster and wish it was better, just remember, you could be an Angels fan…

gu03alum
05-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Loving what Iwakuma's doing this year, but the offense needs to step up behind him (or really anyone for that matter). He's on my fantasy team and I'm getting tired of no decisions...

I wish I would have drafted him. I believe he went late in my draft and cheap in my auction.

gu03alum
05-01-2013, 08:55 AM
pretty bleak article (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/60417/woe-be-the-mariners-offense)about the Mariners by one of my favorite writers, Jonah Keri, but at least he linked to a really cool commercial featuring Bret Boone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-kjJPPVoCIg)

On April 17, the Seattle Mariners played a 14-inning game that doubled as a perfect embodiment of their team.

Felix Hernandez, the team's one true star, twirled a masterpiece, firing eight innings of one-run ball with 12 strikeouts and no walks against the potent Tigers offense. Just about everyone else was terrible. Prolific outmaker Franklin Gutierrez, leading off the game for some unknown reason, struck out four times, helping to sabotage a potential game-winning rally in the 10th inning with a truly hideous at-bat. Dustin Ackley and Justin Smoak both failed miserably in big spots. Jesus Montero reminded us he can't run. Eric Wedge reminded us he can't manage. The Mariners finally lost when the slothlike Smoak ran into the final out of the game, nullifying Ackley's first extra-base hit of the season. For M's fans, this was no ordinary game. It was a baseball snuff film come to life.

bullzag23
05-01-2013, 09:01 AM
pretty bleak article (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/60417/woe-be-the-mariners-offense)about the Mariners by one of my favorite writers, Jonah Keri, but at least he linked to a really cool commercial featuring Bret Boone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-kjJPPVoCIg)

Went to my first game of the year last night.....over after the 1st. Thanks again M's.

gu03alum
05-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Went to my first game of the year last night.....over after the 1st. Thanks again M's.

I did draft Brandon Maurer. I'm as terrible at fantasy baseball as the Mariners are at real baseball.

webspinnre
05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
I did draft Brandon Maurer. I'm as terrible at fantasy baseball as the Mariners are at real baseball.

Ouch. My condolences.

bullzag23
05-01-2013, 10:49 AM

I tried to draft him near the end based on what I'd heard from spring training, but for some reason he wasn't showing up in the list in our Yahoo! draft. I guess I got lucky.

Eroop22
05-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Wow the M's have won their last 2 series. If they make it 3 in a row I will probably still think they suck.

webspinnre
05-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Wow the M's have won their last 2 series. If they make it 3 in a row I will probably still think they suck.

But you'll think they suck less than you used to think they sucked, right? Either that, or you'll think that in addition to sucking, they also suck at sucking inasmuch as they suck less.

Eroop22
05-02-2013, 10:40 AM
But you'll think they suck less than you used to think they sucked, right? Either that, or you'll think that in addition to sucking, they also suck at sucking inasmuch as they suck less.

Yes and no well maybe not really sure. This is all so very confusing. But what I do know is the M's suck. But they are one of the better sucky teams.

webspinnre
05-03-2013, 09:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/35488/nothing-like-watching-king-felix

Zags11
05-05-2013, 02:08 PM
If we had good, or even average 3-5 starters on the mound, we would probably be 18-15 and not 15-18. smh

webspinnre
05-05-2013, 04:51 PM
And that's the problem with trading Jason Vargas for Kendrys Morales. It was basically just swapping one weakness (power) for another (starting pitching).

bullzag23
05-06-2013, 03:22 PM
If we had good, or even average 3-5 starters on the mound, we would probably be 18-15 and not 15-18. smh

To be fair we really have 2.5 solid starters. Remember, Joe Saunders is untouchable at Safeco for some weird reason.

gu03alum
05-08-2013, 11:35 AM
I wish I would have gone to the game today like I had originally planned. Damn you life - always getting in the way.

bullzag23
05-23-2013, 03:13 PM
:vomit-smiley-007:

This represents how I've felt about the past week's worth of M's baseball.

sittingon50
05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
How many to follow?

They say he's going to play 1B, DH! Sorry, but a 23 yr. old that can't play defense has very little value. I wish the kid well; it's the GM I have issues with.

Ackley's done an O.K. job but needs to move back to the OF where he doesn't have to stress as much about defense & just hit .300+.

I'm torn on Ryan. As an ex-pitcher I would love to have the best defensive SS in the league behind me. But if Nick Franklin is more than serviceable, I've got to believe he could hit better than .210 just by accident.

Pallet
05-25-2013, 08:47 AM
I think Jesus getting sent down from heaven is about the only thing that can help the M's offense.

webspinnre
05-25-2013, 09:21 AM
But, but... we were told that trading for proven power hitters like Morse and Morales was going to solve all of our offensive woes! Are you telling me that even though we've hit more HRs, our offense is pretty much as bad as last year? :o

New slogan should be:

2013 Mariners: True to the Suck

Eroop22
05-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Just heard that Eric Wedge blamed sabermetrics for Ackley sucking. Here is his quote.

"It's the new generation. It's all this sabermetrics stuff, for lack of a better term, you know what I mean?" Wedge said. "People who haven't played since they were 9 years old think they have it figured out. It gets in these kids' heads."

I really enjoyed the 9 year old one liner it made me laugh. I really don't care about sabermetrics I am a little old school myself. But I think Wedge is way off base here or its just a really poor attempt at an excuse. For this to be true Ackley would have to be incredibly weak minded and Wedge would have to be one of the worst managers ever. You telling me he couldn't just pull the young man aside and say hey buddy stop worrying about sabermetrics and just swing the damn bat.

webspinnre
05-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Exactly. What kind of MLB player pays more attention to a few fans than his own manager/coaching staff?

Far more likely that either Ackley has developed bad habits, or even more likely, that he's received bad coaching. Even if he did listen to sabermetric fans, it's kind of Wedge's job to make sure that the coaching staff fixes the problems, rather than just letting him do what the fans tell him. (and of course, the sabermetric fans have been pointing out that he actually needs to be swing more at the so-called "lefty strike", not swinging less and becoming super passive)

Eroop22
05-29-2013, 12:51 PM
I would almost bet money that Ackley or the coaching staff decided to make a change in his swing. Obviously a change for the worse and they continued to try a tinker with it until the point were Ackley had zero confidence left. Basically the same thing I have done with my golf swing at this point I don't even know why I have a driver in my bag.

Eroop22
07-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Apparently everyone has stopped watching the Mariners. Or we are all just to embarrassed to talk about them anymore. But here are my mid season thoughts. I kind of like the youth movement it has added some excitement heading into the all star break. If I had to throw down a mid season grade it would be C-.

webspinnre
07-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I'd have no problem with a C or C+ even. Miller and Franklin have been solid, and Seager has stepped up even more. Smoak is giving us glimpses again, but who knows, it might be another mirage. Ackley looks interesting in CF. Felix is still the King. The sweep of the Angels sure improved my overall mood.

sittingon50
07-16-2013, 12:02 PM
If they can continue to score 7 runs a game.....

Eroop22
07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Smoak is giving us glimpses again, but who knows, it might be another mirage.

My money is on mirage. I have given up on Smoak its probably time for the Mariners to move on. But then again I am not a GM for a reason.