PDA

View Full Version : Summer Plans

DixieZag
04-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Rightly so, talk has begun of next year, at least I am over things enough to do so.

It seems to me that it has been shown that getting as many guys as possible to stay on campus over the summer has helped us tremendously in the past and I think is a key to how good we can be next year.

I am speaking about everyone but it applies especially strongly to Karno - who I am very high on - who we need to step up big time next year. I am assuming that Kelly is gone (and you should too). Kelly and Elias need to take Karno aside before leaving this year and tell him how much he will benefit if he stays here and works out. I am almost as concerned about Karno staying over the summer as I am about any possible transfers or recruits, I think it is that important.

I would love to hear what anyone knows or others thoughts on this.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm with you, Dixie. I'd love to see PK spend the summer on campus. The aspects of PK's game that need work (FT shooting, conditioning) will be best addressed by a consistent, steady workout schedule rather than travelling for international tournaments. At the same time, I can't fault the kid if he wants to head home to put in work there, or play for his country.

As for my summer plans, I plan to make it out to Petco to watch the Padres lose as many games as I can. ;)

MDABE80
04-01-2013, 02:27 PM
He'll never be much if he doesn't spend Summer in training. Just won't he got"raw-er" as the season went on. Catch drills, He cannot hold onto the ball and he's just SO clumbsy. He will get better if he works at it. Still a young kid. He needs a lot fo work.

Dower too. Still hasn't developed a move to his left and his right hand is invisible.

Pargo the Destroyer
04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Hopefully PK goes home, charges his batteries, spends time with family and friends, hits on some honeys. Stuff like that. He's a kid. Don't be gone all summer and come back ready to work. Guaranteed that Coach wants his kids to have some balance in their life and 24/7 hoops isnt balance. Especially in the summer/off season.

Mantua
04-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I guess it's tempting for homesick international players to play close to home during summers. They must be led to understand that the experience doesn't produce as good an outcome as hanging around campus with the rest of the team. Does anyone know what the practice and training week looks like for the kids who decide to play out of the U.S.?

Bogozags
04-02-2013, 06:28 AM
PK is a youngster and still needs to enjoy his teenage years as much as he can. With regards to his work during the off season, I think the coaches will give him a list of things to work on, which he can do on his own. We can see his improvement from game one to his last game. He has developed a much smoother shooting motion from the FT line. He also put himself in better position to rebound, when he did play at the end of the season/tournament. If he lived in Spokane then he would just have enormous opportunity to work and play every day and develop much faster BUT he lives nearly on the other side of the globe from Spokane. I would love to hear the response EH would have given, if asked whether he should have stayed in Spokane after his freshman year. IMO, these foreigners that matriculate to the US to play basketball, have for the most part, developed a pretty good work ethic as most have not had the luxuries that US kids have had growing up so they take less for granted.

One more thing, EH and KP returning to their home countries and playing with other young players, makes it so noticeable just how much they have improved their basic skills as well as gain strength from playing in the US, which can make Tommy’s recruiting trips to the US even more beneficial.

Oregonzagnut
04-02-2013, 06:52 AM
Hopefully PK goes home, charges his batteries, spends time with family and friends, hits on some honeys. Stuff like that. He's a kid. Don't be gone all summer and come back ready to work. Guaranteed that Coach wants his kids to have some balance in their life and 24/7 hoops isnt balance. Especially in the summer/off season.

I agree this is true, to a point. Very true. If he is a little burned out. But I think he is ready for more and I think the whole team had a feeling of unfinished business. All ready for the party but then it was cancelled.

A two or three week visit back in Poland would be perfect to "recharge". Then back to Spokane for his chosen career training and studying basketball. Summer school if you will. There is no better time than the present to work as hard as you can on his career. IMO, that is what college is for and that is what training for the NBA is about. They sacrifice the social life and many other areas of life.

Again, like every off-season, I hope the team chooses to stick around together and be gym rats and basketball junkies. If that is what they choose.

Baseline
04-02-2013, 10:44 AM
For PK to get the real benefit of a summer stay at Gonzaga he needs to want it for himself. I think PK was disappointed with his playing time, but I'm sure he realizes ho he was playing behind and the unique opportunity he had to learn. He is more than likely feeling good about where he will be next year and may not have he burning desire to sacrifice.
Kelly had two disappointing years where he was not achieving what he had wanted for himself. He was strongly motivated, beyond most, to work and achieve. This dedication is rare.
PK is not there on the missed expectations to sacrifice like Kelly did. He may soon realize that he may have to do similar things to make his NBA dreams real.

CB4
04-02-2013, 11:59 AM

Disagree. He's a young man. If you want something in this world, whether you're a business major, engineering major or an athlete, you have to work toward that goal, especially during the summer. Gain experience, build your skills, take steps forward while your peers do what you mentioned.

Pargo the Destroyer
04-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Disagree. He's a young man. If you want something in this world, whether you're a business major, engineering major or an athlete, you have to work toward that goal, especially during the summer. Gain experience, build your skills, take steps forward while your peers do what you mentioned.

You really can't be that naive. Every person I work with, including myself, went to college. If you would like I can take a poll on what we all did during the summer while in college.

CB4
04-02-2013, 12:48 PM
You really can't be that naive. Every person I work with, including myself, went to college. If you would like I can take a poll on what we all did during the summer while in college.

Attending college and getting a good job versus working at the highest level of your industry are entirely different (i.e. AECOM, Goldman Sachs, the NBA, etc.).

Angelo Roncalli
04-02-2013, 01:09 PM
How about both? Spring semester ends around May 9. The first HS team camp start son June 25 and the second session of summer school begins a few days later. That would give him time to go home for an extended visit the return for the remaining two months of summer to work the camps, take a summer school class, work with the coaches and play pick up.

Pargo the Destroyer
04-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Which is what I said. Balance. As much as some people just want these kids to be machines, they certainly are not. Some may drink alcohol and have premarital relations with females! All I am saying is that balance is key, just like anything in life.

cjm720
04-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Dower and PK have the blueprint, but do they have KO's desire. They may never reach KO's level, but a big jump is very doable with a similar program.

RenoZag
04-02-2013, 06:26 PM
What are the indicators Sam Dower will make a big jump between this season & next ?

ZagsGoZags
04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
I would be shocked if Sam improves a lot next year over his skills this year

he can't get his buns down and move horizontally

I wish he would take lessons from Sacre on that type of defensive focus

and, like Josh H. he shies away from contact, a lousy trait for a man his size in this game

On the other hand is a great guy and a true zag, and nobody would like to proven wrong more than me on this one

hooter73
04-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Dower and PK have the blueprint, but do they have KO's desire. They may never reach KO's level, but a big jump is very doable with a similar program.

ding. Desire. These guys all have the skills, they are even dedicated, but if you dont push every day, every minute, then its not going to happen. nothing good comes easy.

And No, history says Dower wont make a big jump, or even a noticeable one. Really hope he proves us wrong though.

MDABE80
04-04-2013, 09:27 AM

I worked and went to school to get A's. I was focused on one thing..getting into a highly competetive thing called "medical school". It's that kind of discipline that gets a person to the upper deck......Karno can me mediocre and sit or spell someone else or he can be special. The work MUST be done if he wants to excell. This past year we all saw a project. If he does his part, he'll get better/good. If he doesn't the pine awaits him. Poor play and softness will not get him a continued scholarship.

We need tough kids who work hard. Kelly did that as did Pargo....neither naturals but they are in the NBA or are headed towards it. WORK WORK WORK is key to success. It's up to Karno as to how far he wants to go. Motivation is what coaches love to see.

spike_jr
04-04-2013, 12:10 PM
We need tough kids who work hard. Kelly did that as did Pargo....neither naturals but they are in the NBA or are headed towards it. WORK WORK WORK is key to success. It's up to Karno as to how far he wants to go. Motivation is what coaches love to see.

Abe, I agree. If you want to excel, you need to work harder than everybody else. I wish Pargo would have figured it out while he was at GU. I always thought was undisciplined and a bit lazy. He got by on having superior inate talent IMHO. Had he had a drive anywhere near KOs while in college, he probably would have skipped his two year overseas vacation and went straight to he NBA. Karno is a great talent with tons of potential, but he needs a lot of polishing. I hope he is dedicated and reaches his full potential.