PDA

View Full Version : Blanchette: Spokane could host Regionals

BobZag
04-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Men's Regional, that is. A very interesting piece about how the NCAA has changed its capacity requirements and how the area will soon seat 12,000 for basketball events. Spokane will host a subregional next year, as it has a few times before, but now a regional is possible for the first time.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/apr/01/arena-wont-have-to-take-backseat/

Who loves ya, John? ;)

CDC84
04-01-2013, 09:27 AM
What I don't understand is why the west regional is being held in southern California three years in a row:

2013 = L.A.
2014 = Anaheim
2015 = L.A.

I think there has been some talk (if I recall) that the NCAA might loosen its requirement that final four's only be played in domed stadiums. Less and less domes are being built, and a number of key cities ranging from New York to Chicago to L.A. to Charlotte will never host the event unless this restriction is eradicated.

azzagfan
04-01-2013, 10:36 AM
When Michigan and Florida tipped off, it looked you would have heard the echo of a paperclip dropping...not great to see all those empty seats for an Elite 8 game between two really good teams (looks terrible on TV). Why not Spokane if they could fill it?

rennis
04-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I see Los Angeles as being a natural site for hosting games due to the ease of travel to the area. Frequent flights, lower cost, higher volume, multiple airports...the works.

Spokane is a relative no-man's land for travel. I think it's a great city for first round games, because enough fans from enough schools will find a way to get there. But a Regional? I think that's a stretch logistically.

As for Final Fours being hosted in domes/large arenas, I agree with what's been said. Terrible venues for games. NBA style arenas with 20k capacity is ideal in my opinion.

Really hope Seattle gets to host some NCAA events once/if the new Sonics Arena is built. Man, that is going to be an incredible venue if it takes form.

former1dog
04-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Who's hosting?

spike_jr
04-01-2013, 12:05 PM
As a taxpayer, I feel duped by the PFD. Put the damn seats in the west end as was on the ballot!

jbslicer
04-01-2013, 12:37 PM
As a taxpayer, I feel duped by the PFD. Put the damn seats in the west end as was on the ballot!

The PFD conned a lot folks.

CDC84
04-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Who's hosting?

Washington State for games played at Spokane Arena

kclubfounder
04-01-2013, 04:35 PM
The Sonics will be back in Seattle in 6 months. The newest and best arena in the nation (with regional-hosting ability) will be located in Seattle in 2016.

Here's to hoping Few lasts for another 20+ years, and nobody freaks out and changes the incredible formula that is currently in place simply because lady luck has not visited us in a while during the crap shoot of the Big Dance.

Hoopaholic
04-01-2013, 08:21 PM
So do we bypass playing in the arena so we possibly could land there if we make post season, region matches up with seeding?

My understanding, albeit, limited is you can't play in the arena you get seated at or am I all washed up?

KStyles
04-01-2013, 08:28 PM
So do we bypass playing in the arena so we possibly could land there if we make post season, region matches up with seeding?

My understanding, albeit, limited is you can't play in the arena you get seated at or am I all washed up?

IIRC, as long as you play less than 4 regular-season games at the venue, you're eligible for postseason play there.