PDA

View Full Version : Another perspective on this season

zagfan1
03-31-2013, 01:59 PM
A couple of thoughts.

1. Spangler should have been there and would have been a physical force.

2. Olynk was way better than everyone thought.

3. Dower underperformed this year compared to expectations.

4. Hart exceeded expectations this year and was the glue.

5. Edi did not pan out.

This year was supposed to be the transition year with Olynk, Dower, and Spangler really making inroads in terms of personal development. Harris was supposed to be the rock that helped them maintain a top 25 ranking and get into the tournament. Bell and Pangos were supposed to continue to gel more together and develop that needed consistency in scoring and defense.

If Spangler did not leave we might have had a different result this year in the tournament. Definitely something to think about during this offseason. Nevertheless, credit the coaching staff for making the adjustments this year to get us to a number 1 ranking and number 1 seed.

MJ777
03-31-2013, 02:07 PM
A couple of thoughts.

1. Spangler should have been there and would have been a physical force.

2. Olynk was way better than everyone thought.

3. Dower underperformed this year compared to expectations.

4. Hart exceeded expectations this year and was the glue.

5. Edi did not pan out.

This year was supposed to be the transition year with Olynk, Dower, and Spangler really making inroads in terms of personal development. Harris was supposed to be the rock that helped them maintain a top 25 ranking and get into the tournament. Bell and Pangos were supposed to continue to gel more together and develop that needed consistency in scoring and defense.

If Spangler did not leave we might have had a different result this year in the tournament. Definitely something to think about during this offseason. Nevertheless, credit the coaching staff for making the adjustments this year to get us to a number 1 ranking and number 1 seed.

I don't know. I wish Spangler was still here and happy for next year, but I think he would have gotten 10-15 minutes a game maybe this season. I read a quote from him on a blog where he said something like he is happy with his decision to transfer although he does miss "some" of the guys at GU. Maybe one of the guys he doesn't miss is the coach who wouldn't let him play much last year. He was a freshman, so I am not blaming Few for him transferring, just wondering.

He probably saw how good Kelly was in practice and with EH, Sam being there and PK coming in saw that he would not get a lot of playing time again.

BobZag
03-31-2013, 02:26 PM
[/B]

I don't know. I wish Spangler was still here and happy for next year, but I think he would have gotten 10-15 minutes a game maybe this season. I read a quote from him on a blog where he said something like he is happy with his decision to transfer although he does miss "some" of the guys at GU. Maybe one of the guys he doesn't miss is the coach who wouldn't let him play much last year. He was a freshman, so I am not blaming Few for him transferring, just wondering.

He probably saw how good Kelly was in practice and with EH, Sam being there and PK coming in saw that he would not get a lot of playing time again.

He was homesick. Simple as that. He likely would've redshirted this year, so this is kinda moot. Would've been ideal to step in for Harris or Olynyk next year, but... just a country boy who had never been far from home before.

MDABE80
03-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Nope...just like BZ says.....he had the blues from being away from home. Tight and very close family. It never resolved. Best for everyone.....very simple..........

Birddog
03-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Nope...just like BZ says.....he had the blues from being away from home. Tight and very close family. It never resolved. Best for everyone.....very simple..........
If either Travis Ford or Jeff Capel would have recruited him he never would have left OK.

zagco
03-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Zagco tends to think about the players who left us because they could not crack playing time. He also tends to think we could have used a couple of those guys, if we had actually given them playing time. But apparently we think the 7 or 8 guys who play the most on our team are all better than they would have been.

GoZags
03-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Zagco tends to think about the players who left us because they could not crack playing time. He also tends to think we could have used a couple of those guys, if we had actually given them playing time. But apparently we think the 7 or 8 guys who play the most on our team are all better than they would have been.

Huh?

zagfan1
03-31-2013, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't say it was best for GU that Spangler left. We did have a plan that involved Spangler and when he left the team we had to go to a plan B. I think maybe red shirting Dower might have been a good idea this year if Spangler was still around. I feel a little discouraged that Dower appeared lost in the Wichita State game. I guess my real point is that Spangler leaving made a bigger impact than maybe some of us realize. He was a good player and showed it when Gu played West Virginia in the tournament last year. Olynk offset things partially by really being good this year. Another thought that I have is a correlation to the success of the team and Few's experience with team USA basketball. Can we attribute any improvements based on what Few learned? And if we can what do you think those learnings were?

Birddog
03-31-2013, 05:34 PM
I think maybe red shirting Dower might have been a good idea this year if Spangler was still around.

Dower has already red shirted a year.

zagfan1
03-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Good point. I forgot that he did.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Dower has already red shirted a year.

Dower at least needs to get the program Kelly used during his RS and do that!!!!! during the offseason

willandi
04-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Good point. I forgot that he did.

Could we have sent him on a one year mission?

2wiceright
04-01-2013, 09:52 AM
One person left off the list by the OP was Kyle D. To me, he was a big disappointment (even though I love the kid!). Being a redshirt freshman, if he would have had half the impact of a Bell or Pangos his 1st year playing (even though Kevin and Gary were true freshman last year), I believe he would have made a major impact on the strength of our backcourt (let alone another pure shooter on the court at the 3 spot at times).

I sure hope next year he comes out of his shell and becomes an impact player on offense like I believe he can...

CB4
04-01-2013, 10:15 AM
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

zagfan1
04-01-2013, 04:35 PM
If he (Dower) went on a mission it certainly wasn't for basketball lol.