PDA

View Full Version : Too Small World?

75Zag
03-31-2013, 09:50 AM
I know that this Blog was created because the founders were unhappy and upset with the harsh criticism of GU's BB team on the ESPN and Scout and Rivals and other national sites. So we all retreated here, inside the cozy walls of the Spokesman Review where we could all offer endless and unlimited praise of the coach and staff and team without those nasty outside folks offering negative comments.

Now that GU has F'd up yet another NCAA opportunity, I see many posts here which suggest that the NCAA Tournament is not all that important, and that we Bulldog fans need to evaluate our team according to some standard that does not include NCAA success. My favorite post was the suggestion that GU should really be considered as the winner of the WSU game, because Bell was injured and we "would have won" absent his injury. I suspect that several of you are busy in your basements creating "Would Have Won" National Championship banners to be hoisted in K2 next season.

I think this summer would be a good time for some realistic reflection as to the present and future. What would it take to move GU's program ahead? Luck alone seems insufficient. Adding money for better facilities and recruiting (and perhaps bribing a few select AAU coaches) would be one answer. A high profile conference would help get high profile recruits, but other than the MWC what higher profile conference could we join without a football team? How about scheduling a few OOC games against teams with a minimum of 2 NCAA NC banners on their ceiling? I get it that Few does not want his tender young team to play elite opposition in the fall, but maybe we are at the point where if we don't play elite opposition we will continue to F up in March / April?

And by the way, Happy Easter! Easter is one of my favorite holidays. They are serving Mimosas and Screwdrivers and Bloody Marys this morning. It seems odd that 364 days a year they whine at me for drinking in the morning, but today it is not only tolerated but seems to be part of a religious celebration.

Good News!

Go Bulldogs!

kclubfounder
03-31-2013, 10:00 AM
I think we would beat Wichita State 4 out of 5 times, and they are now in the Final 4.

I think we have a pretty good recipe right now. And I know you disagree, but mix in a little good luck and I think our dreams can be realized.

Funny final paragraph, 75.

:cheers:

rijman
03-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Now that GU has F'd up yet another NCAA opportunity, I see many posts here which suggest that the NCAA Tournament is not all that important, and that we Bulldog fans need to evaluate our team according to some standard that does not include NCAA success. My favorite post was the suggestion that GU should really be considered as the winner of the WSU game, because Bell was injured and we "would have won" absent his injury. I suspect that several of you are busy in your basements creating "Would Have Won" National Championship banners to be hoisted in K2 next season.

And by the way, Happy Easter! Easter is one of my favorite holidays. They are serving Mimosas and Screwdrivers and Bloody Marys this morning. It seems odd that 364 days a year they whine at me for drinking in the morning, but today it is not only tolerated but seems to be part of a religious celebration.

Good News!

Go Bulldogs!
This post cracked me up.

You are in rare form this fine Easter morning. Happy Easter to you and all GU forum members as well.

BobZag
03-31-2013, 10:09 AM
I know that this Blog was created because the founders were unhappy and upset with the harsh criticism of GU's BB team on the ESPN and Scout and Rivals and other national sites. So we all retreated here, inside the cozy walls of the Spokesman Review where we could all offer endless and unlimited praise of the coach and staff and team without those nasty outside folks offering negative comments.

Eh? Scout wouldn't pay and demanded an article per day, even in offseason. S-R went Brando on us, making an offer we couldn't refuse. No horse heads, though.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2013, 10:11 AM
75, spectacular post. The revisionism is rampant, as you so brilliantly point out. Nothing matters except that which the Zags accomplish -- winning the WCC regular season, well, winning the WCC tourney; beating st Mary's, well staying close with st Mary's; winning 25 games vs a lot of scrubs, well, papering coach Few's almighty won lost percentage; recruiting a four star, well, recruiting some really high potential twos; having five alums in the NBA, well Louisville has only three......on an on. Managed expectations as directed by the coach.

Oregonzagnut
03-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Apparently we just need to mix in some good luck because I am tired of bad luck in March.
BTW, I have four "woulda coulda shoulda" Championship trophies in my basement and I also retired Mike Harts jersey. PLUS, I recruited Andrew Wiggins and Malik Pope.

So we are all good.

zag67
03-31-2013, 10:21 AM
I would like to add to the Jaz list. That is the types of players that we graduate are the type of person we would all enjoy being around. Also the work that they have done with the community. Yes that is not basketball, but I would rather have them than the Cinci team of last year.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2013, 10:27 AM
I would like to add to the Jaz list. That is the types of players that we graduate are the type of person we would all enjoy being around. Also the work that they have done with the community. Yes that is not basketball, but I would rather have them than the Cinci team of last year.

No argument there, 67. With a handful of exceptions, all great young guys we would love to be around. But as great as that is, that doesn't feed the NCAA bulldog, as it were.

demian
03-31-2013, 10:39 AM

I think this summer would be a good time for some realistic reflection as to the present and future. What would it take to move GU's program ahead? Luck alone seems insufficient. Adding money for better facilities and recruiting (and perhaps bribing a few select AAU coaches) would be one answer. A high profile conference would help get high profile recruits, but other than the MWC what higher profile conference could we join without a football team? How about scheduling a few OOC games against teams with a minimum of 2 NCAA NC banners on their ceiling? I get it that Few does not want his tender young team to play elite opposition in the fall, but maybe we are at the point where if we don't play elite opposition we will continue to F up in March / April?

Good News!

Go Bulldogs!

Great post 75

GorgeZag
03-31-2013, 10:52 AM
75Zag with a more positive feel to what ive been trying to say for a week. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
The program from top to bottom including the fans, needs to evaluate what it ultimately what's from the basketball team.

MDABE80
03-31-2013, 10:54 AM
No offense but the first 2 sentences to lead this jewel of post off are wrong. If you intended to base the rest of post on the first two thoughts, well.....meh.... Thanks 75.
Happy Easter to you as well.

ZagNative
03-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Dear God ... When will the pissing and moaning ever stop?

spike_jr
03-31-2013, 11:12 AM

Maybe when we win the games we should in March and a few that we shouldn't

jazzdelmar
03-31-2013, 11:12 AM

ZN, not for a very very long time. and why does it have to? to mix metaphors, the Zags brass ring has left the station.....probably forever. and so the essential debate here has been distilled into: are you ok with winning 20-25 games, more often than not the WCC and going out in the first wkend, or do you want a realistic chance at the F4. And good points have been made on both sides.

bartruff1
03-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Dear God ... When will the pissing and moaning ever stop? It will never stop...it validates them...use the ignore feature.

Zagsker
03-31-2013, 11:34 AM
maybe when we win the games we should in march and a few that we shouldn't

bingo

MickMick
03-31-2013, 11:39 AM

No doubt.

The whines are deafening. Like a nagging wife, you just tune them out. Fortuanately, my wife doesn't nag a whole lot. I'm tone deaf about the Zags now. The national discourse has done it to me. It isn't worth the effort to argue anymore.

Zags reload and give it another shot next year. Keep knocking at the door.

On to football season. Go Percy Harvin!

BobZag
03-31-2013, 11:40 AM
smh

Zagcity
03-31-2013, 11:41 AM

The problem with the cup half empty peeps is when they move on to hereafter somebody's always there to replace them. Just enjoy the ride. ;)

btzag
03-31-2013, 01:10 PM
No doubt.

The whines are deafening. Like a nagging wife, you just tune them out. Fortuanately, my wife doesn't nag a whole lot. I'm tone deaf about the Zags now. The national discourse has done it to me. It isn't worth the effort to argue anymore.

Zags reload and give it another shot next year. Keep knocking at the door.

On to football season. Go Percy Harvin!

So true. All the negative arguments just don't hold weight and can be disproven:

Not good enough recruits? Check out Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Indiana, UCLA and others this year.

Not good enough defense? Check out Wisconsin, Georgetown, Kansas, Ohio St. and Mich St. Top 10 D's in kenpom.

Crappy coaching? Check out UCLA, Kansas, UNC, Mich St and others with HOF coaches or multiple FF's or champs.

And how the heck did George Mason and WSU make FF4's and Butler make the champ game? What is the perfect formula?

I don't have a problem with debating these topics but the answer is that there just isn't an answer. We have a great program that puts us in position to make a run every year and that is all you can do, give yourself a shot. Oh and try and enjoy it!

maynard g krebs
03-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Tournament's a crapshoot. Before Pitt played Wich people were coming on here and moaning how Pitt was such an unfair 2nd round matchup with their top 10 Pomeroy rankings etc. And Wichita killed them. And Wichita killed Ohio State, despite the final score.

By the 2nd round, or 3rd round as the NCAA nonsensically calls it, everybody is good and anything can happen.

That is why sensible people value the entire season, and enjoy each game. Given the above, to say GU f@%^ed up is kind of ridiculous. They got beat by some freakish shooting in one game that happened to occur when nobody wanted it to.

There was a time when you had to win your conference to get to the NCAA tourney. Len Elmore and Tom McMillen can tell you about that. Second in conference and you went to the NIT. The current system gives a false value and unrealistic emphasis on the NCAA tourney.