PDA

View Full Version : Three Simple Requests...

McZag
03-29-2013, 04:07 AM
Miami and Indiana won 1 more game than Gonzaga and perhaps did not deserve a 1 seed either and.......

Wichita St is a very good basketball team. Some would say, Elite.

cbbfanatic
03-29-2013, 07:23 AM

give me a break, nobody is calling wichita state elite. if they are, they need to recalibrate their understanding of the word "elite." WSU was in the 8/9 game for a reason.

syracuse or marquette, they are not.

(and there is a significant difference between rd of 32 and sweet 16, (and each step further at that point) -- as a GU fan, you should know that)

229SintoZag
03-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Miami and Indiana won 1 more game than Gonzaga and perhaps did not deserve a 1 seed either and.......

I look forward to the year, some year, when we can celebrate an epic tournament win instead of rationalizing another tournament loss like this by basically pointing out that misery loves company. Just because life is tough for Indiana and Miami fans today doesn't mean it shouldn't be tough for us. And by the way, both lost to top 4 seeds from major conferences to established teams with prior final fours and national titles. Both lost to legit programs. Neither lost to Wichita State, a 9 seed.

Someday.

Ekrub
03-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Syracuse would have been our demise as well. Horrible match up for our guards, and the way they took care of zeller..... Kelly is probably glad we didn't play them as well.

MDABE80
03-29-2013, 08:58 AM
EK no doubt. But your last comment is telling........lots of long tough leaper type athletes in the NBA. Not sure Kelly wouldn't have more fun staying here.

I do think Wichita St is a lot better than most think this time of this year. We had em and we lost em....late in the game. SOmetimes teams just heat up at the right time. Both Syracuse, Florida Gulf Coast and WSU are this year's examples.

demian
03-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Syracuse would have been our demise as well. Horrible match up for our guards, and the way they took care of zeller..... Kelly is probably glad we didn't play them as well.

agreed

demian
03-29-2013, 09:04 AM
EK no doubt. But your last comment is telling........lots of long tough leaper type athletes in the NBA. Not sure Kelly wouldn't have more fun staying here.

I do think Wichita St is a lot better than most think this time of this year. We had em and we lost em....late in the game. SOmetimes teams just heat up at the right time. Both Syracuse, Florida Gulf Coast and WSU are this year's examples.

i totally agree with your first paragraph

BobZag
03-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Shwaedenfredeinanenshawaden

Zageist
03-29-2013, 09:54 AM
yeah, I'd still rather lose in the round of 16 to a 3 or 4 seed then in the round of 32 to a 9 seed. I love em, but GU looked horrible against Wichita State and played worse. Lots of reasons for it, but in the end, they got beat by a team that was, on that day at least, better.

McZag
03-29-2013, 11:47 AM
give me a break, nobody is calling wichita state elite. if they are, they need to recalibrate their understanding of the word "elite." WSU was in the 8/9 game for a reason.

syracuse or marquette, they are not.

(and there is a significant difference between rd of 32 and sweet 16, (and each step further at that point) -- as a GU fan, you should know that)

Touchy.

Let me ask you, were we better than Florida in 1999? Think hard.
What matters is we won the game. Wichita brought a great game against LaSalle and won a Sweet 16 game. That fact, in the eyes of basketball watchers everywhere defines them as a very good basketball team. If they beat OSU, they will become legendary.

I understand your point completely but we cannot judge our expectations of how our Zags should have performed against WSU until we see how the rest of March plays out. The 1999 Zags look great in part to how UCONN finished the year and then how Mich St. finished in 2000 etc.

Saying that an Elite 8 team is playing "better than they are" defeats the point of the tournament. If they play well enough to win three tournament games, then they are that good. Period.

McZag
03-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Shockers. Nough said.

McZag
03-30-2013, 06:49 PM
1. Please refrain from discounting the Shockers as a fluke or "playing better than they are".

2. Please no more discussion about how good the Big 10 is and how it prepares its teams for March.

3. Please no more shortchanging the Zags accomplishments this year based on losing in the Second Round to Wichita State. Things always need to play out before judgements can be made. And given the facts of this tournament, the Zags had a fantastic year.

btzag
03-30-2013, 07:47 PM
1. Please refrain from discounting the Shockers as a fluke or "playing better than they are".

2. Please no more discussion about how good the Big 10 is and how it prepares its teams for March.

3. Please no more shortchanging the Zags accomplishments this year based on losing in the Second Round to Wichita State. Things always need to play out before judgements can be made. And given the facts of this tournament, the Zags had a fantastic year.

McZag you are contradicting yourself with these points, especially 1 and 3.

To be fair this is the impossible question to answer about CBB; is it all about how far you go in the tourney OR is it about your whole season and body of work?

I firmly sit in the corner of 'the whole season matters' but above you are making that argument in point 3 but points 1 and 2 are focusing solely on the small sample set of the NCAA tourney. You might argue that the Big East gets the nod over the Big Ten because of the tourney results but the Big Ten was the best conference heading into the tourney and they proved it on the court.

Additionally WSU proved on the court that they were a good but mediocre team through 34 games so now that they are in the final four I would say that they are playing 'better than they are'.

GorgeZag
03-30-2013, 09:09 PM
We had them beat. They caught fire, we let up. We went soft. Like some people's attitude on this board. If you want trophies for everyone and orange slices then go watch 3rd graders.

2wiceright
03-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Additionally WSU proved on the court that they were a good but mediocre team through 34 games so now that they are in the final four I would say that they are playing 'better than they are'.

I think you and many pundits aren't taking into account this Shockers team played most of the year with a number of their best players injured (thus the # of losses). Towards the end of the season kids got healthy and now they obviously firing on all cylinders. This is a Final Four team and we they should never have been seeded that low (9 seed). They proved that today against a very good Ohio STate team... (of course hindsight is 20/20, but our loss to them was no fluke- but perhaps not one of our better games). Ohio State, OTOH, came in to the game with their eyes wide open!

bartruff1
03-31-2013, 05:07 AM
One simple request.

I would like to see a " Critic's Corner " forum in here so that I could avoid all the expert analysis .

LongIslandZagFan
03-31-2013, 07:14 AM
We had them beat. They caught fire, we let up. We went soft. Like some people's attitude on this board. If you want trophies for everyone and orange slices then go watch 3rd graders.

Then by all means find a team that doesn't go soft.

TexasZagFan
03-31-2013, 07:58 AM

I challenge you to say that directly to the players' faces. :lmao:

Respect is earned...after 57 posts, you've got a long way to go.

GorgeZag
03-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Then by all means find a team that doesn't go soft.

I want that to be this team someday? I want the whole team to play with the fire of Calvery or Hart.

GorgeZag
03-31-2013, 09:46 AM
I challenge you to say that directly to the players' faces. :lmao:

Respect is earned...after 57 posts, you've got a long way to go.

Ah yes, our level of fandom is judged by how many post we have on a Internet site. Are you going to get somebody to go back and see which one of our usernames was created first on the other site too? Respect....

jazzdelmar
03-31-2013, 10:17 AM
I want that to be this team someday? I want the whole team to play with the fire of Calvery or Hart.

Pangos plays tough, hoping so too do the east coast kids Coleman and Nunez. Karno has potential. Maybe the others will get inspired.

LongIslandZagFan
03-31-2013, 10:31 AM

Here is the reality... In competitive sports, losing is as much a part of the game as winning. Plain and simple. The difference is how well one handles it. I've been part of competitive sports most of my life in some form or another. There are times where you have to learn to accept that at times the better team doesn't always win and that even the best teams have off nights. It happens... Stop blaming and start accepting.

Zagdawg
03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Well said LIZF.

Time to move on.

maynard g krebs
03-31-2013, 03:14 PM

Sounds like "going soft" is a problem for you. Sorry to hear that.

GorgeZag
03-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Sounds like "going soft" is a problem for you. Sorry to hear that.

You can do better. Personal attacks are so....