PDA

View Full Version : If you were the Coach (Offense)

ZaggyDog
03-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi Everyone, (First Post)

About me: I've been an active reader for the last several years and fan of the Zags for the last 7 since moving to the NW. I've never played much basketball, but consider myself educated to the point where I have opinions and enjoy reading the opinions of others. I started thinking about basketball in a more analytic way a couple weeks ago and thought I would share pieces of that with all of you, and hopefully start a good conversation.

What kind of offense do you like the most/wish the Zags would use more of?

I really enjoyed the increased Pick and Roll (PnR) action we got out of KO and KP as the season progressed. I believe the primary Zags' offense is the Motion Flow (MoFlo), which which has definitely served them well, but if I were Coach, I would make PnR the primary offense for the following (debatable) reasons:
1) It requires less energy that MoFlo from the team as a whole to run it,
2) It appears to be more fun for the 3 and 4 positions and might increase recruiting interest, and
3) I think it lends itself to easier game-time decision making.

Go Zags!

SLOZag
03-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Welcome aboard, ZaggyDog! I look forward to your contributions.

doug2
04-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Basketball is emerging from a long period where offense was king and defense was an after thought. Now, the best teams are playing great defense, too.

The Zags are starting to play better defense, too, but more work is needed.

I always liked watching the defense at Washington State when the Bennetts coached there. The players' body language on defense was much more confident than when they were on offense. That's probably due to spending over half of each practice on defense to where each player knew exactly what to do.

Their offense suffered at times probably because they spent less time practicing it and because they expended so much energy on defense.

Your point about the PnR requiring less energy could be a key consideration if the Zags decide to place more emphasis on defense going forward.

Postplayer57
04-01-2013, 12:56 PM
I agree with Doug2 on Bennett's defensive expertise. I follow UV basketball casually since he left the Cougs, it appears that it might be hard to find a player who can work as hard as Virginia's kids do on defense and have the energy to move around in a motion style offense for maximum minutes? Young Joe Harris had to supply the majority of their scoring this year, and while he is a fine player, it appeared to this fan that he ran out of gas at the later stages of many games? Our Zags, I think?, played good defense most of the time, getting hurt mainly when Harris or Dower suffered sudden brain farts and disappeared?, and the obvious fact that our guards, while ultra talented, seem not tall enough/athletic enough to shoot over, or defend the 6'2" plus sized guards of top caliber opponents. It also seemed to me that when G.U. varied their defensive scheme often it kept the opposition uncomfortable and off balance on many occasions.