PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Brad Stevens turns down UCLA too

thespywhozaggedme
03-29-2013, 11:48 AM
First Shaka, no Brad. I can't say that I feel bad for them.

Oregonzagnut
03-29-2013, 12:01 PM
First Shaka, no Brad. I can't say that I feel bad for them.

They just need to go for what they all really want in LA. Hire Reggie Miller, and have Bill Walton, Gail Goodrich and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as assistants.

Better yet, just make them all "CO-headcoaches", and have Tyus Edney as the towel boy.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Those guys made wise decisions. Whoever steps into that UCLA job is going to have to deal with so many pressures and distractions that they just don't have in their sleepier little hamlets. Brad Stevens has built enough cache with his fan base that he can afford a couple of down years without feeling the hot seat. Shaka Smart has the same situation. If they move into UCLA, they will be expected to win from the first day on the job and there will be no mercy if they have an off year. At UCLA, an off year can include a year that includes an outright Pac-12 championship and a trip to the NCAA Tournament.

In their current programs, those guys have the luxury of building winning programs that match their own coaching styles. If they go to Westwood, they will always be competing against the memory of Coach Wooden.

CDC84
03-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Kareem is actually interested in the job:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/27/sports/la-sp-abdul-jabbar-ucla-20130328

A name that could show up in the coming days - and I am serious about this - is Kerry Keating:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-03-26/ben-howland-fired-ucla-bruins-ncaa-tournament-2013-shaka-smart-pac-12

This is the story of what has been problematic regarding UCLA basketball in particular and the Southern California basketball in general: its location at the corner of Agents Inc. and Runners Ltd. It’s likely there are more agents (and wannabe agents) located in LA than in the rest of the nation combined. That’s a constant problem for whomever is in charge of the Bruins program, and also for those who work for the man in charge.

It is not an area Howland managed well, particularly as that issue has escalated in recent years. Agents are becoming involved with players at younger ages, and they are less trusting of college coaches. Holiday’s development into a successful pro even after he cut short his college development is a sort of template for many. Whether Holiday would be better still if he’d arrived in the NBA as more of a finished product is viewed as immaterial, even as Lee and Honeycutt, among others, have struggled to gain any sort of footing in the league.

Howland’s replacement will have to find a way to manage this situation. And the answer isn’t simply recruiting players the pros wouldn’t want, because that’s not going to keep the Bruins in step with Arizona inside the league and such powers as Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas and Duke elsewhere.

The new coach should be someone who can recognize the value of relationships with those in the Southern California basketball culture who can help the program and those who, while unable to present any particular assistance, certainly have the power to hurt it.

UCLA’s last truly great period came when Santa Clara coach Kerry Keating was working under Howland. He helped spot such overlooked talents as Darren Collison and Russell Westbrook. He helped manage the relationships with obviously elite talents such as Jordan Farmar and Kevin Love. Keating is in the process of reiterating his talents as a coach, with a second 20-win season in the past three years and, fresh off an impressive road win at Purdue, a spot in the CBI semifinals Wednesday at Wright State.

It’s a hire that would require vision, as when Jeremy Foley took a chance on Billy Donovan following a 17-win season at Marshall. Keating does not have the star power UCLA appears to be seeking as it begins its search, that many Bruins fans might feel they’re entitled to see on the sidelines. Really, though, if UCLA wants a star it ought to offer the job to Denzel Washington or Ben Affleck. If it merely wants a coach, it should have kept the one it had. Howland has one of the finest minds in the game.

UCLA needs someone who can both run a practice and run a bad guy or two out of the basketball office suite. It needs someone who can recognize the unique complexities of the SoCal basketball scene and attempt to navigate them

If UCLA is concerned with Keating's coaching abilities on the floor, they can afford to hire a first rate assistant.

former1dog
03-29-2013, 12:17 PM
A name that could show up in the coming days - and I am serious about this - is Kerry Keating:

I'd be sorry to see Mr. Pinky Ring go.

That said, he's shown a penchant for post season winning even if its just the CBI.

Isn't this Santa Clara's second championship game appearance in 3 seasons?

MDABE80
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
The culture is SO bad there. Without complete cleaning of the house and regaining control of the place, I cannot see UCLA going anywhere.
The AD is a disaster who does the political thing to keep his support up. Guerrero should be long gone and he must be ousted to regain control.. Until then, there is very little hope.

thespywhozaggedme
03-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Pat O'Brain was just on the radio saying that his "inside sources" are gonna make a hard push for Pitino.

CDC84
03-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Pitino would just use UCLA's interest in him to get a bigger contract from Louisville. He's been an east coast guy his whole life. Louisville is probably the best team in the dance right now. Just don't see it.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Pat O'Brain was just on the radio saying that his "inside sources" are gonna make a hard push for Pitino.

Pitino will be thrilled to find out that he was Plan C when the guys at Butler and VCU saw the UCLA job as a bad career move. They are wasting their time with that offer.

After Pitino turns them down, they can target Roy Williams, then Tom Izzo, then Bill Self, then Jim Boeheim....

rennis
03-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Buuuuuuzzzzz Williams should be on their radar, if you askin' me.

siliconzag
03-29-2013, 02:36 PM
He has a more compelling resume than KK.

Sili

MickMick
03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
The pay would have to be great to take on that short leash.

There are plenty of coaches capable of turning things around for UCLA. When you get first choice for every kid up and down the entire Pacific Coast, you have a great shot at success. It is a head scratcher that Howland couldn't consistently field a top 15 team.

Keeping the program clean would probably prove to be a challenge. Immense pressure can corrupt the most well intended folks and this job is certainly a pressure cooker.

Birddog
03-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Kareem is actually interested in the job:
IMO that would be a disaster. Kareem was here in OK coaching a minor league team and he was a terrible. It wasn't the best of situations but he was a poor communicator with players and press.

bartruff1
03-29-2013, 03:50 PM
I can't imagine a better job or situation...better than Kentucky or Duke or Kansas....simply the best...

former1dog
03-29-2013, 04:07 PM
IMO that would be a disaster. Kareem was here in OK coaching a minor league team and he was a terrible. It wasn't the best of situations but he was a poor communicator with players and press.

From what I've seen of him in interviews and tv, he just doesn't seem to have the temperament of a man in charge. Great guy to have coaching your bugs, though. Hey, don't we have an opening?

zag69
03-29-2013, 04:07 PM
I think they should hire Gene Hackman. Plenty of star power+coaching experience in a winning program.

Birddog
03-29-2013, 04:40 PM
From what I've seen of him in interviews and tv, he just doesn't seem to have the temperament of a man in charge. Great guy to have coaching your bugs, though. Hey, don't we have an opening?
Exactly, you'd never call him warm and fuzzy and he's never been funnier than he was in Airplane. I can't see him doing the rubber chicken circuit at all.

MJ777
03-29-2013, 08:47 PM
I think they should hire Gene Hackman. Plenty of star power+coaching experience in a winning program.

No shots before four passes are made. Too bad Shooter died, he'll have to get a new assistant.

VinnyZag
03-29-2013, 09:48 PM
UCLA seems intent on hiring a "win the press conference" guy. That's certainly not Keating, who never got Clara into the tournament. I'd be stunned if they hire him.

zag69
03-29-2013, 10:07 PM
No shots before four passes are made. Too bad Shooter died, he'll have to get a new assistant.

Jimmy Chitwood, of course.

Zagsker
03-29-2013, 11:09 PM
I think college basketball coaches are just becoming smarter in job pursuits...coaches like Smart, Stevens, Few KNOW they have a great gig going on and why would you mess it up by going to a "name" school and get your rep possibly/likely tarnished with mediocre results relative to BCS standards

MJ777
03-29-2013, 11:13 PM
I think college basketball coaches are just becoming smarter in job pursuits...coaches like Smart, Stevens, Few KNOW they have a great gig going on and why would you mess it up by going to a "name" school and get your rep possibly/likely tarnished with mediocre results relative to BCS standards

Plus those bigger schools have more and bigger Message boards with many more fanatics waiting to pounce. :starwars:

ZagDaddy
03-30-2013, 05:51 AM
There's only one reason why any coach that values his health and his sanity would enter the insane pressure cooker of being UCLA's coach: The Golden Parachute you can get when they fire your behind.

Tubby maybe?

bartruff1
03-30-2013, 06:34 AM
" Winning solves everything "

Like Few, Brad will never know what his potential was... I doubt Butler will be more than a 4th place team in the Big East and in a few years he will have other opportunites but his stock will never be as high as it is now.

It could be as simple as " Happy Wife, Happy Life "... Colin Powell might have been President.

I am not criticising his decision.... He has his reasons.

ZaginLaw
03-30-2013, 07:19 AM
until you get caught cheating

bartruff1
03-30-2013, 07:32 AM
until you get caught cheating

They didn't catch the Wizzard and Sam... and I think the statute of limitations has run out by now.

ZagNative
03-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Apparently, they've found their guy.
Bruin Report Online ‏@BruinReport 4m

Steve Alford is the new coach at #UCLA. We'll have analysis up on the site within moments.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 1m

Steve Alford has agreed to a 7-year deal worth $2.6 million per year at UCLA, sources told CBSSports. UCLA will pay his buyout.

former1dog
03-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Apparently, they've found their guy.

The Lobo faithful are going to be pissed.

Insult to injury.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2013, 08:07 AM
apparently, they've found their guy.

wow!!!

Angelo Roncalli
03-30-2013, 08:07 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9114861/ucla-bruins-hire-new-mexico-lobos-coach-steve-alford-sources-say

bartruff1
03-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Excellent choice... I though of him but since he had just signed a 10 year deal that he intended to stay in New Mexico...

It is very good for College Basketball to have UCLA be a elite program....

McZag
03-30-2013, 08:26 AM
The Lobo faithful are going to be pissed.

Insult to injury.

Tailspin for the Lobos

former1dog
03-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Tailspin for the Lobos

They've got a good team coming back. They'll be better than UCLA next year with just an average coach.

MickMick
03-30-2013, 08:39 AM
What we learned from the Alford hire:

Fresh, new, long term contracts don't mean crap. They can be bought out and ripped up in the blink of an eye.

Rangerzag
03-30-2013, 08:42 AM
They can be bought out and ripped up in the blink of an eye.

And a load of dough.

MJ777
03-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Just bought the rights to firestevealfordatucla.com.....Score!

Birddog
03-30-2013, 10:25 AM
It is very good for College Basketball to have UCLA be a elite program....
They have to get there first and it's a ways off.

MDABE80
03-30-2013, 10:42 AM
What we learned from the Alford hire:

Fresh, new, long term contracts don't mean crap. They can be bought out and ripped up in the blink of an eye.

Apparently he agreed to a 10 yr extension but didn't sign the document. I guess he's free to go.....

bartruff1
03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
They have to get there first and it's a ways off.

I suspect he will get 3 years of grace...BUT, I also suspect he will bring in or build a organization that will have them knocking on the door of a final four in no more than 2 years, using the NBA Gateway Approach.

The resources there are considerable..