PDA

View Full Version : karma is a twitch for gottlieb

jazzdelmar
03-29-2013, 05:26 AM
A CBS analyst apologizes for an offhanded racial comment while covering the NCAA college basketball tournament. CBS analyst Doug Gottlieb said that he was there to bring a "white man's perspective" to the tournament's pre-game show.

Gottlieb was the only white commentator on the pregame show, sitting alongside Greg Gumbel, Greg Anthony, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley. His exact words was that he was there to "bring diversity to this set" and to give the "white man's perspective." While it might be true, it still comes across as an uncomfortable statement, as his co-hosts showed after he said it.

Gottlieb defended himself by saying it was "called a joke." Some people didn't find it funny, such as ESPN analyst Mark May who said that Gottlieb "should be canned" for the comment. However, later on in the show, Charles Barkley came to his aid telling people it was a joke. Barkley said that no one on the set was offended so he said that the people who are talking bad about Doug Gottlieb should "get a life."

Ekrub
03-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Wow, I can't believe that became an issue for somebody.

sullyzag66
03-29-2013, 07:45 AM
A CBS analyst apologizes for an offhanded racial comment while covering the NCAA college basketball tournament. CBS analyst Doug Gottlieb said that he was there to bring a "white man's perspective" to the tournament's pre-game show.

Gottlieb was the only white commentator on the pregame show, sitting alongside Greg Gumbel, Greg Anthony, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley. His exact words was that he was there to "bring diversity to this set" and to give the "white man's perspective." While it might be true, it still comes across as an uncomfortable statement, as his co-hosts showed after he said it.

Gottlieb defended himself by saying it was "called a joke." Some people didn't find it funny, such as ESPN analyst Mark May who said that Gottlieb "should be canned" for the comment. However, later on in the show, Charles Barkley came to his aid telling people it was a joke. Barkley said that no one on the set was offended so he said that the people who are talking bad about Doug Gottlieb should "get a life."
Sir Charles!

Mojo13
03-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Seriously? this is an issue? Barkley has said a a 1000 things a 1000x times more racist than that.

Political correctness is nothing but the triumph of fear over the truth.

FuManShoes
03-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Funny, I thought he was brought there to bring a reactionary and specious BCS apologist's perspective to March Madness coverage

titopoet
03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Seriously? this is an issue? Barkley has said a a 1000 things a 1000x times more racist than that.

Political correctness is nothing but the triumph of fear over the truth.

Yeah, but so many people can't stand Credit Card Doug that they jump on any comment of his. He has a smug attitude. Should he be fire for that comment. No. Should he be fired because he is terrible and a drag on the Network, yeah. He could always take his schtick to talk radio.

MDABE80
03-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Doug brings the "athlete Banter" to everything. It's kind of an inside thing. People are SOOOOOO sensitive these days. It means nothing. "White men can't Jump"... didn't offend anyone....funny movie but racist? Not.

rennis
03-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Personally I don't mind it. if the set was all white dudes and Kenny came on and said "you guys need a black man's perspective" no one would have a problem with it.

It may not be tasteful, but it's funny.

If that offends you, watch modern stand up comedians. Culture follows humor, in my opinion, and I think we're starting to see a shift away from PC taboos, especially as it relates to generalities and idiosyncracies of race.

ever checked out the website "stuff white people like?" good example.

hegotit!
03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I didn't mind the comment, but there was an awkwardness on the set right after he said it. Gottlieb may know his basketball but is definitly a major tool!

Zageist
03-29-2013, 09:49 AM
tools say things that make them sound like tools. this is being overly sensitive.

thickman1
03-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Mark May is an idiot. Sir Charles with the +1 for being a rational thinker.

JLGutrocks
03-29-2013, 10:34 AM
surrussly, thas ruhdikuhluss

Oregonzagnut
03-29-2013, 10:54 AM
I posted about this on general basketball yesterday because I thought it was "general". Since I already don't really like Gottlieb, it is easy for me to say, "What a jerk, that is just like him."

That being said, everyones got an opinion about everything. I am no different. The PC police are armed and ready to arrest and incarcerate reputations. It is an internet media militia where humor is cruel, jokes are banned, political and religious extremists cannot be called out and if you attach the suffix "-ism" or "-phobia" on a word you instantly wield great power over freedom of speech and press.

Worst of all the entire system is fed and fueled by the weakest link, the loudest mouth and the most extreme talk. Blow a air-horn into a library and see if you don't draw EVERYONES attention.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-29-2013, 11:24 AM
When you're an @$$ clown like Gottlieb, you don't tend to get the benefit of the doubt on things like this.

jazzdelmar
03-29-2013, 11:41 AM
When you're an @$$ clown like Gottlieb, you don't tend to get the benefit of the doubt on things like this.

bingo! a regular emmett kelly....

Caddie
03-29-2013, 01:18 PM
surrussly, thas ruhdikuhluss

+1

HOOTER
03-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Personally I don't mind it. if the set was all white dudes and Kenny came on and said "you guys need a black man's perspective" no one would have a problem with it.

Exactly. Gottlieb is a doosh, but not for anything related to this. Some people just want to scream racism at every opportunity, which only serves to perpetuate the problem. Get an effin life people.

RenoZag
03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Funny, I thought he was brought there to bring a reactionary and specious BCS apologist's perspective to March Madness coverage

Indeed

ZaginLaw
03-29-2013, 03:29 PM
I don't think May was offended, it was about professionalism, which Gottlieb lacks. May was correct in saying those comments are meant for the bar, not for a professional venue. Gottlieb's comment was pure bush league.

Karma, Karma, Karma.

Zagquette
03-30-2013, 09:51 AM
To play devil's advocate:

Not a big deal, but it is a sensitive issue for good reason. If you think access and equality are not issues in college sports, take a lot at coaches and the ADs (those in power) of the schools in the sweet sixteen. Notice something strange.

Gottlieb is not a racist, shouldn't be fired. But there are good reasons why some may take issue with his joke.

MJ777
03-30-2013, 11:42 AM
To play devil's advocate:

Not a big deal, but it is a sensitive issue for good reason. If you think access and equality are not issues in college sports, take a lot at coaches and the ADs (those in power) of the schools in the sweet sixteen. Notice something strange.

Gottlieb is not a racist, shouldn't be fired. But there are good reasons why some may take issue with his joke.

Tubby, Romar, Shaka and JTIII among other A-A coaches didn't make the sweet 16. George Raveling, John Thompson and John Chaney are retired and Kelvin Sampson has been banished. What does the make up of this year's SW 16 teams coaches have to do with race, devil's advocate or not?

Saxon_zag
03-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Tubby, Romar, Shaka and JTIII among other A-A coaches didn't make the sweet 16. George Raveling, John Thompson and John Chaney are retired and Kelvin Sampson has been banished. What does the make up of this year's SW 16 teams coaches have to do with race, devil's advocate or not?

I guess he's trying to say the "man" is holding someone down!

MJ777
03-30-2013, 07:22 PM
I guess he's trying to say the "man" is holding someone down!

I wonder who is holding down the short, fly fishing basketball coach of a certain "Mid-Major" school?

Zagquette
03-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Just saying that historically and systematically there has not been equal access for all folks in power positions in major college sports. So when diversity is an issue and you have gottlieb saying that he is bringing diversity on the set by bringing the whiteman's perspective it probably ruffles some feathers.

zagco
03-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Gottleib is not likeable. He comes across as pompous. His Q rating is probably not very good at all. That is why he cannot tell a joke like that. He will fail everytime he tries it. There are some people that could get away with it.

But, Zagco agrees it was a joke and not a big deal at all.

Mark May is a total d-bag.

ZaginLaw
03-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Spoken like a Bronco Football Fan.

Gottlieb's the Zags version of the Bronco's May.

zagco
03-31-2013, 06:55 PM
He is not well liked in Boise. But, he plays a role and his occasional slights completely overshadow the many other times he's been quite complimentary. Zagco sees him do this to many programs, though. He comes across as arrogant and stiff, which is probably why Zagco doesn't care for him much. Arrogant might be subjective, but he is clearly "stiff." It's kinda fun to see Lou Holtz poke at him, because Lou doesn't care! Hehehehe. Likewise, Gottleib just seems pompous. He's like one of those guys you semi-hang with at the bar after work. At first, he might seem cool, but then you realize he's a scammer and shallow as hell.