PDA

View Full Version : I like this article from Bud Withers!

MDABE80
03-28-2013, 11:52 PM
http://seattletimes.com/html/budwithers/2020654895_withers28.html

Balanced and fair.

ZagaZags
03-29-2013, 01:05 AM
I remember that team well. They had Steve Johnson from La Jolla H.S on that team. If I remember right, Steve Johnson turned out to be older than people thought.

bartruff1
03-29-2013, 03:51 AM
Bud is a Pro as opposed to....(your term here)....

A to Zags
03-29-2013, 05:49 AM
I don't like the article because it is so well written that it hurts. I was on the faculty that year at Oregon State and the gut shot feeling of that loss was the same feeling I got last week. Very interesting and similar connections as Bud points out. The Beavers recovered and went on to some great years after that game with Charlie Sitton, A C Green, Gary Payton, etc. So lets hope the similarities continue! I will not mention Greg Wiltjer was also an important piece of the puzzle as it would assuredly start another thread on a well worn topic.

MJ777
03-29-2013, 06:06 AM
That OSU team was great, but I thought Peyton played a few years later. Anyway, the reference to the beavers made me think of the early 80s Don Monson coached Idaho Vandals. In 81-82 they went 26 and 3 losing to OSU in the sweet 16 and were ranked as high as number 8 during the season. I think that wAs pretty amazing for a small university that does not have a cool name that is hard for many to pronounce.

A to Zags
03-29-2013, 06:25 AM
That OSU team was great, but I thought Peyton played a few years later. Anyway, the reference to the beavers made me think of the early 80s Dan Monson coached Idaho Vandals. In 81-82 they went 26 and 3 losing to OSU in the sweet 16 and were ranked as high as number 8 during the season. I think that wAs pretty amazing for a small university that does not have a cool name that is hard for many to pronounce.

You are very correct. I didn't mean to imply Gary was on that team but that the Beavers were able to still recruit top players after that horrible loss and continue to have great teams. Looking for some sunshine these days.