PDA

View Full Version : I'm all in with Pangos.

MickMick
03-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Without question, he will be GU's best player next season.

Perhaps a good thing. I hope his teammates are well schooled so that he can really run the show.

I hope Coleman can make opponents pay for swarming KP so hard. I hope Karnowski and Dower can get the screen game going to free KP up. I would love nothing more than for KP to become a higher volume shooter. It would open Dower up offensively.

gonwick
03-28-2013, 08:34 PM
I love Kp's work ethic, but if this team only goes as far as Kp takes them, they will have blowouts half the time, and get blown out the other half. It took me this year to finally realize that Kp is a short shooting guard more than a point guard. Imagine what Matt bouldin would have done with elias as a senior and ko. I'm glad to have kp, just coming to terms with what his dominance will mean for the team.

bartruff1
03-28-2013, 08:44 PM
He will be the player with the most wins in the history of Gonzaga.

tlark420
03-28-2013, 09:11 PM
kids a stud...wouldn't trade him for anyone

MJ777
03-28-2013, 09:15 PM
kids a stud...wouldn't trade him for anyone

Big KP fan but c'mon. Aaron Craft or Delly?

tlark420
03-28-2013, 09:17 PM

:vomit-smiley-007:no thanks KP 4 prez

cggonzaga
03-28-2013, 09:24 PM
So this is coming from the same Mick that last year stated KP had reached his ceiling after his freshman campaign?

MJ777
03-28-2013, 09:30 PM
:vomit-smiley-007:no thanks KP 4 prez

I would probably support Kevin for President, but since he is Canadian he's not eligible.

exclusivelee
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Someone's jumping the gun.

April 16th will tell us if we retain our best player from the 2012-13 season.

MickMick
03-28-2013, 09:56 PM
So this is coming from the same Mick that last year stated KP had reached his ceiling after his freshman campaign?

On a personal level, he is close to it, but then his personal ceiling was damn good to begin with.

I have always maintained that it was up to the rest of the team to make him better. They have to complete the plays. They are his limiting factor. As of now, his ceiling is the collective ceiling.

From my original post:

I hope his teammates are well schooled so that he can really run the show.

I want him to pick up more of the scoring load as well.

maynard g krebs
03-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Much rather see Bell shoot more.

TexasZagFan
03-29-2013, 04:48 AM
Much rather see Bell shoot more.

I think we'll see that next year, Maynard. I was heartened to see Gary become more aggressive on offense during the second half of the season.

loscontigos79
03-29-2013, 06:01 AM
with the deep group of guards we have coming back

BTB
03-29-2013, 06:27 AM
I agree, I think Pangos is going to be dominant next year. I think our team looks VERY good for next year

bartruff1
03-29-2013, 06:35 AM
I have read that Michigain made Kevin and Trey Burke a first come offer and Kevin decided on Gonzaga... I do not know if that is true but I read it on the internet and so it must be...that was our lucky day ...

cjm720
03-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Love the kid, love his toughness, and love his clutchness. He makes others better...

My only gripe is that our three primary guards average 6'...a bit short.

ZAGGED OUT
03-29-2013, 08:42 AM
First, I don't agree that Kevin is actually a SG, he had 5 dimes in our last game this year. I think he should have averaged that all year but we missed a lot of 3's and bunnies that he hooked up, it really made his assist numbers look worse than they are. Also, I would never in a million years trade him for Delly. Delly choked in EVERY big game damn near. Kevin has that fire and competitive spirit and I could see him becoming one of the most clutch players in the last 15 years or so at GU

bballbeachbum
03-29-2013, 09:36 AM
it's his team all the more next year, he'll be an upperclassman along with GBj, along with the hopeful emergence of KD and the freshman to balance the length on the perimeter

it'll be a different team in many ways, but Kevin with the keys again is a nice continuity for sure

tlark420
03-29-2013, 09:37 AM
First, I don't agree that Kevin is actually a SG, he had 5 dimes in our last game this year. I think he should have averaged that all year but we missed a lot of 3's and bunnies that he hooked up, it really made his assist numbers look worse than they are. Also, I would never in a million years trade him for Delly. Delly choked in EVERY big game damn near. Kevin has that fire and competitive spirit and I could see him becoming one of the most clutch players in the last 15 years or so at GU

+1 kid is just about every big shot this yr..ice water in his veins

Marcus
03-29-2013, 10:46 AM
I love everything that KP brings to the table. He has what it takes to be the leader of this team. He has the fire and does not seemed to be phased by the biggest moments.

former1dog
03-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Kevin has that fire and competitive spirit and I could see him becoming one of the most clutch players in the last 15 years or so at GU

Well, Wow!

Thats a pretty big claim. I hope you're right.

hegotit!
03-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Would love to see him step up his defense to the level of an Aaron Craft. That hounding on the ball defense of Craft is impressive.

ZAGGED OUT
03-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Well, Wow!

Thats a pretty big claim. I hope you're right.

Hopefully so. He's really showed his tenacity and ability to step up this year imo. Against Southern, we lose if he doesn't hit that step back mid-range and step back 3 on back to back possessions (I think it was back to back at least, not re-watching to find out). Against Wichita, he hit a lot of big 3's, especially late to keep us in contention. I know he did miss one with about a minute left but the kid is still only a Sophomore. I'm expecting big improvements from Pangos, Bell, and KD as they will all be needed night in and night out next year.

Unbiased
03-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Would love to see him step up his defense to the level of an Aaron Craft. That hounding on the ball defense of Craft is impressive.

I agree. This is a shortcoming of Pangos that I hope he addresses.

cjm720
03-29-2013, 12:25 PM

There aren't many players with Craft's defensive ability...sorry to say, Pangos will never be on his level and that's no knock on Pangos but complete props to Craft.

SteelZag
03-29-2013, 01:01 PM

Junior Pangos vs Craft? Senior Pangos vs Delly?

I'm all in for Pangos.

MickMick
03-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Pangos will not be an elite defender but he is a competent defender. For what he brings, that is good enough. The purpose is to put up more points than the other team. With Kevin, the net gain is well worth it.

I would like to see Coleman be a real offensive threat to take the heat off of Kevin. If he averaged 13 per contest in the Big East, I would hope that he can get it in the WCC.

LynetteG
03-29-2013, 08:40 PM
I have read that Michigain made Kevin and Trey Burke a first come offer and Kevin decided on Gonzaga... I do not know if that is true but I read it on the internet and so it must be...that was our lucky day ...

Michigan was all over Pangos. At that time Burke had committed to Penn St. After KP chose GU Burke decommitted from PSU and Michigan scooped him up.

bartruff1
03-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Michigan was all over Pangos. At that time Burke had committed to Penn St. After KP chose GU Burke decommitted from PSU and Michigan scooped him up.

Has he ever said why he came to Gonzaga ?....I imagine his parents would have loved to have seen him play at Michigan.

I can't believe we can get kids like him and Spangler to sign up so far from home with so many opportunities to play at BCS schools in their back yard.

Yes...I know .... Spangler went back home...damn...

TheGonzagaFactor
03-29-2013, 09:55 PM

F*** Delly overrated never beat a good team without McConnell, and that was one time.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-29-2013, 10:03 PM
see him getting better and better - just fill in the pieces around him and we can make another run next year

MJ777
03-29-2013, 10:42 PM
F*** Delly overrated never beat a good team without McConnell, and that was one time.

I think if Delly had bigs as skilled as Kelly and EH he would have been a lot better. We have KP for two more years and I am excited about that.

Zagsker
03-29-2013, 11:02 PM
There aren't many players with Craft's defensive ability...sorry to say, Pangos will never be on his level and that's no knock on Pangos but complete props to Craft.

because Craft WANTS to be a defensive stopper (not saying that KP does not want to play good D, just wishing Few would make the D side a priority)...the thing with defense it is generally about complete attitude/effort to stop someone and that does not have to take away from your offensive side of the ball

I wish Few would make defensive pressure a MAJOR part of the GU program going forward..there are going to be nights where the ball does not drop for you but you can make sure their ball has just a difficult time going in by applying tremendous effort and chaos on D

LynetteG
03-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Has he ever said why he came to Gonzaga ?....I imagine his parents would have loved to have seen him play at Michigan.

I can't believe we can get kids like him and Spangler to sign up so far from home with so many opportunities to play at BCS schools in their back yard.

I think what I remember KP said (reportedly) is GU is known as Guard U and that was one of the reasons for coming. Also the staff probably had a lot to do with it. Certainly Michigan is a heck of a lot closer to Ontario than GU is. I really don't know, but would love to find out!

bartruff1
03-30-2013, 07:13 AM
I think what I remember KP said (reportedly) is GU is known as Guard U and that was one of the reasons for coming. Also the staff probably had a lot to do with it. Certainly Michigan is a heck of a lot closer to Ontario than GU is. I really don't know, but would love to find out!

Maybe he will tell us someday....I just hope he doesn't get homesick or regret his choice...

LynetteG
03-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Maybe he will tell us someday....I just hope he doesn't get homesick or regret his choice...

He seems happy here, so I think it's all good.

cdools
03-30-2013, 07:31 AM

Let me put in my thoughts on why KP decided on Gonzaga. Yes he loved the fact that Gonzaga has such a long history of great guards, yes he loved Tommy and Coach Few's approach to the game, yes he loved the support he was given for his pursuit of Canadian National team involvement, yes the family loved that the fact that with jet flight to all games he would miss less school... but I think it is simpler than all that...I have known the Pangos family for almost 30 years and watched Kevin rise through the ranks of Canadian age-group basketball to become one of the best point guards of his age in the world...I wrote a piece on GUboards earlier this year called Zag For LIfe that tried to capture why I think Spokane and Gonzaga are such special places and why it was such a perfect fit for a talent like Kevin... The Pangos' are a very close-knit family who just happen to all be involved in basketball...The family values they exude are lived and breathed at Gonzaga and that is why he chose to be a Zag and why Patty and Bill were so happy with his decision....In watching Kevin play and thrive over his first two years it is obvious he made a wise choice, as did Gonzaga in going after him... Yes Michigan and Syracuse and others are closer to Newmarket Ontario on a map, but Gonzaga is better than that...It is Home

bigblahla
03-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Let me put in my thoughts on why KP decided on Gonzaga. Yes he loved the fact that Gonzaga has such a long history of great guards, yes he loved Tommy and Coach Few's approach to the game, yes he loved the support he was given for his pursuit of Canadian National team involvement, yes the family loved that the fact that with jet flight to all games he would miss less school... but I think it is simpler than all that...I have known the Pangos family for almost 30 years and watched Kevin rise through the ranks of Canadian age-group basketball to become one of the best point guards of his age in the world...I wrote a piece on GUboards earlier this year called Zag For LIfe that tried to capture why I think Spokane and Gonzaga are such special places and why it was such a perfect fit for a talent like Kevin... The Pangos' are a very close-knit family who just happen to all be involved in basketball...The family values they exude are lived and breathed at Gonzaga and that is why he chose to be a Zag and why Patty and Bill were so happy with his decision....In watching Kevin play and thrive over his first two years it is obvious he made a wise choice, as did Gonzaga in going after him... Yes Michigan and Syracuse and others are closer to Newmarket Ontario on a map, but Gonzaga is better than that...It is Home

For my 2000th post I wanted to do something clever maybe address all the needless whining and wailing but after reading your post I think giving you a big BRAVO, WELL SAID means more. Thank you.

Some live in the past others look to the future but if you can't appreciate the here and now for what it is life passes you by.

Appreciate and cherish what we have Zaggies for it is all gone to quickly.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

gonwick
03-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Because burke committed before Kevin could take an official visit.

http://seattletimes.com/html/gonzaga/2017770838_zagnotes17.html

Reborn
03-30-2013, 09:53 AM
I really like Kevin alot. He's had two great years at GU, and for him the best is really yet to come. I was really impressed with his play in the NCAA tournament this year. He is the one guy as we move forward that we can count on to be a very good 3 pt shooter, and honestly that is what Gonzaga needs as much as they need better defense. Burke and Craft are my two favorite guards (outside of Kevin), and I like Burke more than Craft. It's cool to hear about the history between Burke and Pangos.

MickMick
03-30-2013, 10:07 AM
I really like Kevin alot. He's had two great years at GU, and for him the best is really yet to come. I was really impressed with his play in the NCAA tournament this year. He is the one guy as we move forward that we can count on to be a very good 3 pt shooter, and honestly that is what Gonzaga needs as much as they need better defense. Burke and Craft are my two favorite guards (outside of Kevin), and I like Burke more than Craft. It's cool to hear about the history between Burke and Pangos.

I would take Larkin over either, but that is just personal preference. They are all very good.

bartruff1
03-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Larkin...Delly....Smart...Trey....Williams...

Pangos made the 20 list...

jim77
03-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Kevin is in to score.....to keep up that 3 threat that the Zags always have. Hes also a pretty good playmaker and to me his decision making is getting better. Just a solid player. Hes another guy like KO who would benefit form another half step in quickness...his ability to get to the hoop has improved and I suspect will continue to improve. Hes just the type who will continue to get better.

ZAGGED OUT
03-30-2013, 10:46 AM
I would take Larkin over either, but that is just personal preference. They are all very good.

What? Why? Larkin is undersized and not nearly as strong as either. Did you see Burke against Kansas? How can you not see that Burke is CLEARLY the best PG in the nation?

MickMick
03-30-2013, 11:06 AM
What? Why? Larkin is undersized and not nearly as strong as either. Did you see Burke against Kansas? How can you not see that Burke is CLEARLY the best PG in the nation?

I have watched both players a few times.

Burke can drive to the hoop, shoot from long range, get his teammates involved, and defend.

So can Larkin.

Burke had better players around him and it took some of the pressure off. Burke could have a down game and Michigan could still win.

In my mind, Larkin was Miami. There were good complimentary players but not the same level as at Michigan. Larkin's consistency led to a league title and a conference tournament win. I think Larkin consistently made outstanding decisions with the ball.

If I had a pick up game going and was choosing players, I would take Larkin.

Reborn
03-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Larkin...Delly....Smart...Trey....Williams...

Pangos made the 20 list...

I'm really surprised that Smith from Louisville is not on the top 5.

GeorgiaZagFan
04-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Shane Larkin? Would NOT want him at all. I put him right up there with Carlino as one of the poorest PG's when it comes to making the right decision. dumb, dumb player ..you can have him.

roundup
04-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Haha pretty outlandish statement. Not to knock Pangos, but this season I'm pretty sure any coach in the country would have started Delly over KP at the point. Delly beat plenty of teams without McConnell, including the Zags (hoping you count them as a good team, because they are every year). Delly is not an elite athlete or true scorer (a la McDermott or Jimmer), so he could be limited when an entire team dedicated its defense solely to denying him like Memphis and the Zags in Vegas. I think this speaks more to the rest of the team being unable to take any pressure off him this season than to Delly being overrated.

He was working with Waldow and Young who each have about a 50/50 chance of making a two foot bunny off a perfect dime. Give him a KO and Harris combo, he'd probably only average six points but 10+ assists per game and he'd be fine with that. KP would slide over to the two, Stockton would ride the pine, and there's a good chance you'd still be dancing. You could use a 6'4 guard. BTW, none of this is to say KP won't be better than Delly. He is a great player with a high ceiling.