PDA

View Full Version : How would the Marquette board have looked if Davidson didn't spontaneously combust?

kclubfounder
03-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Instead, it appears they are headed to the Elite 8.

Hmmm.

kclubfounder
03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Oh, and I probably should have also mentioned that in addition to having the 14 seed Davidson spontaneously combust after having the game against 3 seed Marquette totally and completely in hand, Marquette then got arguably very lucky against Butler in the round of 32, and won by 2.

Now, as Marquette advances to the Elite 8, they will be heralded as an incredibly "clutch" team.

Please give me an F'ing break. Please. I'm begging you.

gbnyba17
03-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Dont get what youre trying to say here.. the zags lost, marquette hasnt... the zags were a 1 seed, marquette isnt. Zags havent made a deep run in the tourney lately, marquette has (not just including this year). While i think i get what ur trying to suggest here, the two really arent comparable..

Go zags!

jazzdelmar
03-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Survive and advance the short answer. Valvano champ team just beat Pepperdine in first round, OT maybe. Or maybe it's Marquette DNA. Miami a fraud all year, IMO.

thickman1
03-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Pretty sure the thought behind these posts is that Marquette has no business being in the Elite 8. They were DONE versus Davidson and pulled off a miracle thanks to a mini-meltdown by the Wildcats.

229SintoZag
03-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Actually winning the games in the tournament actually matters. Winning pretty is not necessary. Winning ugly is still winning.

I for one want to win more games in the tournament. And I am not interested in purchasing a T-Shirt "commemorating" our now irrelevant #1 ranking. I think the fact that such shirts were even printed is a black mark on our program and our fanbase. When's the last time Duke, UCLA, Indiana, etc., did something like that? Never. I'd bet St. Joe's didnt do it either in 2004. It's embarrassing.

And when people charge Mark Few with under-performing in the tournament and getting hung up in the first weekend, it is not a defense to that charge to start talking about what a great father you are or how much fun the season was for five months before the letdown in the tournament. In fact, to say such things instead of addressing the topic at hand is an evasion.

Do I want Mark Few gone? No. Not a chance. Anyone who does is insane.

Can and should Mark Few do some soul searching, with a desire to do even better in the future, and find ways to get over the hump? You bet.

But it is not helpful to us to point out that we were close a few times, that our opponent shot out of their minds, or that other schools who are still playing were lucky more than they were good. It is always better to be lucky than good, we can so stipulate. Water is also wet.

But just because other teams may be lucky does not mean our team cannot improve and play better. We can exert some control over how good we are, even if we cannot always control how lucky we are. (Though I am reminded of Samuel Goldwin's dry observation that "the harder I work, the luckier I get.")

Give Ammo all the crap you want, but the reason he cried was because he cared so much and wanted to win so bad. I wish some of this year's players would leave it on the floor like that. Instead, we have players saying that this year's successes were not wiped out by one tournament loss, or words to that effect. While that may be true. it should not have been said, in my opinion. The only proper response after a loss like Wichita is crestfallen frustration and a reiteration of the goal to win a title.

In short, Marquette's luck is not a proper rejoinder to those of us disappointed in our poor play against Wichita.

Oregonzagnut
03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
All I know everyone thought Miami or Georgetown should have had our #1 seed. So now all I want is FGC to win and for any other #1 seed to lose in this round.

I hope for an Elite 8 of: FGC, Arizona, WSU, Marqette, Michigan St, Michigan, Syracuse and Oregon

McZag
03-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Luck is part of the equation. Marquette needed it against Davidson, they did not against Miami.

Which is why it is impossible to judge an entire season on these games alone, judge fairly that is.

bartruff1
03-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Luck is part of the equation. Marquette needed it against Davidson, they did not against Miami.

Which is why it is impossible to judge an entire season on these games alone, judge fairly that is.I am quite proud of my tee .... they earned it and it was/is a remarkable achievement...

ZagLawGrad
03-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Nice post, Sinto.

kclubfounder
03-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Dont get what youre trying to say here.. the zags lost, marquette hasnt... the zags were a 1 seed, marquette isnt. Zags havent made a deep run in the tourney lately, marquette has (not just including this year). While i think i get what ur trying to suggest here, the two really arent comparable..

Go zags!

Really? You don't "get" what I'm trying to say? Wow.

Cavebear33
03-28-2013, 07:49 PM
How would the Marquette board have looked if Davidson didn't spontaneously combust?

That, and a horrible missed call on Marquette who inbounded in the final phases of the game without taking the ball out of bounds. Some really great officiating this year.

gbnyba17
03-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Really? You don't "get" what I'm trying to say? Wow.

I'm assuming you're trying to make a comparison between them and us, and all im saying is i think the two teams (and their situations) are completely different... no need to get smart or sarcastic.

cbbfanatic
03-28-2013, 08:08 PM
And if calvary gets called for over the back, GU has zero elite 8s and who knows what else happens from there...

Way too many what its for me, I prefer actual results

MJ777
03-28-2013, 08:13 PM
How do we suppose the Indiana boards are doing tonight?

caduceus
03-28-2013, 08:53 PM
How do we suppose the Indiana boards are doing tonight?

http://i.imgur.com/ZawoLnD.gif

gbnyba17
03-28-2013, 10:22 PM
And if calvary gets called for over the back, GU has zero elite 8s and who knows what else happens from there...

Amen

bartruff1
03-29-2013, 03:28 AM

You are not supposed to say that...I think that may be the first time I have read that...not prudent...

That blows the whole " Few Can't...." narrative.

mnzag24
03-29-2013, 04:45 AM
My post was apparently deleted last night so I'll try again. I agree with Sinto in that the #1 ranking will now be largely irrelevant. It was/is a nice accomplishment for the program, but think about it this way; because of our early exit, we will now have to REMIND recruits of that fact, other than them recalling it on their own. No one is thinking that we ended the year #1 ranked team in both polls. Instead, they see a tight group that barely got by the 16 seed and got beat by a 9 seed. I don't care if Wichita St. played its best game and injuries hurt us. Both are true, but it doesn't matter. Fact is, we lost early, and that is what people will remember.

deathchina
03-29-2013, 06:52 AM
We will continue to lament the loss to WSU (as we should), but personally I'm more concerned about our inability to beat very very good to great teams (#1-4 seeds) in the NCAA's. I think we all want GU to be the type of program that can go on a run and make a final four or even more, but in order to do that you have to be able to beat a couple highly seeded teams in a row.....and over the last 13 years we've lost every time we've faced a 1-4 seed.

2012 - OSU
2011- BYU
2010 - Syracuse
2009 - UNC
2006 - UCLA
2003 - Arizona
2001 - Michigan State

This makes me think we aren't as "close" as we might hope.

McZag
03-29-2013, 06:58 AM
You are not supposed to say that...I think that may be the first time I have read that...not prudent...

That blows the whole " Few Can't...." narrative.

:lmao::lmao:

zag944
03-29-2013, 07:42 AM
As many games as there are in March Madness there will always be teams we can point to an say "well, look at that loss". But to me that just seems a little bit silly because we are a very unique case.

Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, and we will include Marquette (even though they, you know, didnt lose) can absorb these types of losses. The 2-15 and 3-14 types. They have big conference affiliations and championship banner(s) and Final Fours. No one was going to debate Duke being overseeded this year because they lost pretty catastrophically last year.

Lots of teams take bad losses in the tourney every year. Ours, unfortunately, get taken more as a sign of what we are capable of, rather than just a little bit of March Madness. It sucks.

TacomaZAG
03-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Indiana faithful, please select as many as necessary from the following options:

1. Fire Tom Crean and hire Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart
2. Change defensive philosophy, what we're doing now isn't working
3. Recruit better athletes, our guys aren't "elite" enough
4. Hire better assistant coaches, our current guys aren't getting it done
5. Get players to care more and try harder, if they did we wouldn't lose
6. Change conferences, ours doesn't prepare us for March
7. Schedule better in the OOC, cupcake OOC doesn't get us ready for March.

I mean, really, Indiana hasn't been to the E8 since 2002, so a massive overhaul is required. They better get on it quick, I hear UCLA is after Stevens.

Go ZAGS