PDA

View Full Version : Kendal Yancy-Harris / BYU Recruits

Arneson
03-28-2013, 01:05 PM
I haven't seen a thread about these, so I apologize if I missed it. I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about which schools Kendal is considering? I see 18 schools that have offers to him on ESPN, with only Texas showing a visit on 3/28. Seeing as he's from there he may likely go to the longhorns.

I noticed BYU has 2 top 100's. A 30 recruit and a 45 recruit. They could very well take the WCC title next year, especially should we lose Olynyk.

cjm720
03-28-2013, 01:20 PM
I believe those BYU recruits are going on a two year mission...so they'll likely be 20 y/o freshman starting in the 2015 season.

Not sure about Yancy-Harris...

former1dog
03-28-2013, 01:26 PM
I believe those BYU recruits are going on a two year mission...so they'll likely be 20 y/o freshman starting in the 2015 season.

yep

jpwils
03-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I think Emery- the left-handed guard- is heading for a mission.

But the taller, more of a power forward type guy is coming in for a season, then taking his mission, I think.

BobZag
03-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Kendal is going to Texas.

NorCalCoug
03-28-2013, 02:10 PM

Not sure about Yancy-Harris...

It's been reported that Emery will definitely go on a mission prior to enrolling at BYU. I'm not sure what Mika's plans are. Now that the LDS church allows young men to serve at 18 (instead of 19 previously) I suspect we'll see more and more BYU athletes choose to serve right out of high school rather than enrolling for a year.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-28-2013, 02:49 PM
It's been reported that Emery will definitely go on a mission prior to enrolling at BYU. I'm not sure what Mika's plans are. Now that the LDS church allows young men to serve at 18 (instead of 19 previously) I suspect we'll see more and more BYU athletes choose to serve right out of high school rather than enrolling for a year.

NorCal -

Do those guys count against your scholarship numbers? If not, that is a pretty sweet deal for your program. You can lock up your desired prospects, then let them mature physically and emotionally for a year or two, then bring them back with four full years of remaining eligibility. I realize that they'll be rusty for taking the time off, but I'll bet they get up to speed fairly quickly.

How optimistic is your fan base about these guys?

Mantua
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM

Does the same deal apply to guys serving jail time?

NorCalCoug
03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
NorCal -

Do those guys count against your scholarship numbers? If not, that is a pretty sweet deal for your program. You can lock up your desired prospects, then let them mature physically and emotionally for a year or two, then bring them back with four full years of remaining eligibility. I realize that they'll be rusty for taking the time off, but I'll bet they get up to speed fairly quickly.

How optimistic is your fan base about these guys?

No, players on missions don't count against BYU's scholarship limit.

The BYU fanbase gets pretty optimistic about ANY semi-decent recruits in basketball. By all indications last year's class was a doozy as far as BYU classes go - rated #15 in the country by ESPN. The only downside is it will take longer to see the results. The 2014 class looks VERY promising as well with one Top50 ESPN commit (TJ Haws - teammate of Mika/Emery and Tyler Haw's little brother) and a very good shot at another in Payton Dastrup. If it all plays out the way it looks on paper then the future of BYU bball is pretty bright. Look out for 2020!!! ;)

There are advantages and disadvantages to the mission thing. It's definitely more of an advantage for football - linemen specifically. I've been following BYU sports for a LONG time and it seems to be much more of a negative in basketball for whatever reason. There have been many return missionaries that the BYU fanbase was pretty excited about that just never got their legs back after their missions or were plagued by injuries. Chris Collingsworth is the most recent example that comes to mind. Some do just fine too, i.e. Tyler Haws. When you look at BYU sports the more well-known athletes more often than not haven't served LDS missions - Danny Ainge, Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Jimmer Fredette, etc. There are some exceptions to that rule too.

NorCalCoug
03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Does the same deal apply to guys serving jail time?

Not sure... never saw a BYU athlete survive the Honor Code when jail time was in his future. :)

ldszagfan
03-28-2013, 11:47 PM
I think Emery- the left-handed guard- is heading for a mission.

But the taller, more of a power forward type guy is coming in for a season, then taking his mission, I think.

Correct. I hang out with Mika's sister occasionally and she said that he is NOT going on a Mormon mission (or is at least holding off for a year).