PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Should Slipper Still Fits change it's name?

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2013, 05:58 AM
Since we haven't made a Sweet Sixteen in several years, the name SlipperStillFits seems kind of silly and inaccurate. Should it be changed and if so, to what? Perhaps : Out in Two.

What say you?

jazzdelmar
03-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Since we haven't made a Sweet Sixteen in several years, the name SlipperStillFits seems kind of silly and inaccurate. Should it be changed and if so, to what? Perhaps : Out in Two.

What say you?

Agree. It's antiquated big time, has been for years. Maybe First Weekend Wonders, Two and Through, Top 32 For Sure, Predictable as an Old Slipper.....How about: "Few, as in 32"

Bocco
03-28-2013, 06:12 AM
The slipper fit when I had season tickets and there was no one sitting around me, and I the program falls from its lofty perch and has a few losing seasons and I again have season tickets and no one sitting around me slipper will still fit.

When you actually fall in love, that person (team) will always be your Cinderella, as to being America's Cinderella, I could care less what America or anyone else thinks..

Zagcity
03-28-2013, 06:14 AM
We are still America's Cinderella or one of. Until we win the NC, I believe the Zags still fit the bill. Maybe we will always be...:)

kclubfounder
03-28-2013, 06:15 AM
Of course we aren't considered a Cinderella anymore.

However, the clock has obviously not struck midnight. The chariot is not a pumpkin, and the slipper still fits.

Maybe some of you should reread the fairy tale.

ZagLawGrad
03-28-2013, 07:20 AM
I don't think there's any question that on a national level the program is viewed as having dropped a notch or two after Salt Lake City.

Lot's of citicism out there. Lots.

bartruff1
03-28-2013, 07:27 AM
After a historical run of 15 years, you are not Cinderella .... you are the real deal...so your poll offers a false choice...typical...

TexasZagFan
03-28-2013, 07:33 AM
After a historical run of 15 years, you are not Cinderella .... you are the real deal...so your poll offers a false choice...typical...

+1

FGCU is the new Cinderella.

We're simply a top-20 program.

bartruff1
03-28-2013, 07:51 AM
I don't think there's any question that on a national level the program is viewed as having dropped a notch or two after Salt Lake City.

Most of the criticism is warranted, we were ranked way to high... it is ironic that many of the same people who ranked them so high are now making much of the criticism...They should start out their criticism, with " I was wrong ." Same with some in here.

The team didn't vote themselves #1. Few always said that they were one of a dozen or more teams that could advance...and they should of...but they didn't and that is disappointing, not cause for panic. .

The reality is that Gonzaga is consistantly a top 20-30 program and is playing way above their "ceiling "....if you are expecting more, you are going to continue to be disappointed...

I don't lose sight of what they accomplished this year...I doubt we will ever match the regular season again.. IMHO as always.

webspinnre
03-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Whether or not we're still "cinderella", the slipper still fits doesn't just reference us being a cinderella, it's a specific reference to a point in our program's history, made memorable by a specific moment in time with that phrase. Keep the name.

BroncoZAG615
03-28-2013, 08:45 AM
No. And my vote carries a disproportionate amount of weight :)

The name isn't about Gonzaga being a Cinderella. As webspinnre says above, it is more about a celebration of the biggest moment in Gonzaga basketball to date. It is about the Zags breaking through and not only capturing lightning in a bottle as a mid-major, but sustaining it and becoming a power program.

In all honesty, if the Zags win several national titles in the coming years, the name will still remain because that moment was the reason for all of it.

UKWildcatsFan
03-28-2013, 09:02 AM

The name isn't about Gonzaga being a Cinderella. As webspinnre says above, it is more about a celebration of the biggest moment in Gonzaga basketball to date. It is about the Zags breaking through and not only capturing lightning in a bottle as a mid-major, but sustaining it and becoming a power program.

In all honesty, if the Zags win several national titles in the coming years, the name will still remain because that moment was the reason for all of it.

I dig this.

Zag 77
03-28-2013, 09:46 AM
There should be a 3rd category:

Who Cares?

I have not looked at SSF for months. Anything newsworthy is posted here anyway. Some of their comments are sophomoric. At least some of the worst gets weeded out here.

LongIslandZagFan
03-28-2013, 09:54 AM

And here as well.

LongIslandZagFan
03-28-2013, 09:56 AM
We're simply a top-20 program.

And this is a bad thing?

Also I refuse to answer this poll since it only offers two very negative sounding choices.

jake
03-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Whether or not we're still "cinderella", the slipper still fits doesn't just reference us being a cinderella, it's a specific reference to a point in our program's history, made memorable by a specific moment in time with that phrase. Keep the name.

Exactly. It's a reference to a great moment in history and in some sense the start of our rise to a national level program. Keep the name.

zag944
03-28-2013, 10:23 AM
While the Cinderella term is usually applied to the double digit seed making a deep run in the tourney, I think a WCC team crashing the March Madness party for 15 years (and only failing to win a game in three of those years) is still pretty Cinderella-ish.

Also, its just a good name.

Hoopaholic
03-28-2013, 10:49 AM
I agree with LIZ

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Why is "More Cowbell" not an option?

maynard g krebs
03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
If a tree falls in the forest, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Inane.

primal23
03-28-2013, 11:40 AM

And piss poor play in March hurts us in the long run. Telling a recruit, "Hey come here you can play good OOC teams, most likely win the WCC and play a game, if you are lucky maybe 2 in the NCAA!" doesn't fly.

ZagaZags
03-28-2013, 11:41 AM

1999 was the biggest moment in Zags history. 2013 GU vs WSU was the worst in Zags history.

primal23
03-28-2013, 11:42 AM
1999 was the biggest moment in Zags history. 2013 GU vs WSU was the worst in Zags history.

At least we, barely, avoided history and won the first game.....

Bocco
03-28-2013, 12:20 PM

Last Saturday was not a great moment in Zag history, but the worst moment for me is the UCLA game, closely followed by the Texas Tech game.

ZagsGoZags
03-28-2013, 12:38 PM
IMHO there are two things that deserve the title "elite" when it comes to GU basketball.

John Stockton's career and the 1999 run to the Elite 8.

LongIslandZagFan
03-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Can we have a poll that doesn't sound like you are asking "do you still beat your wife? yes or no only"?

former1dog
03-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Not even close.

My sophomore year, Gonzaga won a grand total of 8 games. I'm not sure those were all against Division 1 teams, either.

Some perspective, please.

LongIslandZagFan
03-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Not even close.

My sophomore year, Gonzaga won a grand total of 8 games. I'm not sure those were all against Division 1 teams, either.

Yep... Believe it or not there was a time where winning was not a given. Yes, I get that some people on the board have seen such a thing. But nothing is built over night. Ask Coach K, Caloun, Boeheim and others how great it was building up to where they are or were.

It takes time and it is a progression.

Oregonzagnut
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM

What say you?

Even when Cinderella went from pauper to princess, her foot size didn't change because she herself stayed the same person. The "Slipper Still Fits" appropriately reminds us of our roots and the fact that we have a coach who has been at Gonzaga for 24 years. Our mission, our roots and our philosophy has not changed significantly since Fitz was hired back in 1978.

The point is that even though we may be "rich" on the outside, we have not sold out our true identity and the Slipper STILL fits.

Mantua
03-28-2013, 02:18 PM
A Cinderella team is a team that has unexpected success and is often seen as a team that is not expected to continue achieving similar success. I continue to wince at the title since Gonzaga has been frequently ranked during the last fourteen years.

Oregonzagnut
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
A Cinderella team is a team that has unexpected success and is often seen as a team that is not expected to continue achieving similar success. I continue to wince at the title since Gonzaga has been frequently ranked during the last fourteen years.

I don't see your definition that there is a decline after the unexpected success, even if that is what usually happens. Where is the decline or discontinued success in the Cinderella story? I never attached an end to the success in the Cinderella story. Do you think that Cinderella was only Princess for a year and the prince divorced he and sent her back to the cruel stepmother? No.

I have been told "They lived happily ever after."

kitzbuel
03-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Not even close.

But none of those losses were bad losses. Every team we played had a higher RPI than we did.

Mantua
03-28-2013, 04:46 PM
I don't see your definition that there is a decline after the unexpected success, even if that is what usually happens. Where is the decline or discontinued success in the Cinderella story? I never attached an end to the success in the Cinderella story. Do you think that Cinderella was only Princess for a year and the prince divorced he and sent her back to the cruel stepmother? No.

I have been told "They lived happily ever after."

Cinderella success can also be interpreted as a fluke. The 1979 Sonics team was labeled a Cinderella team and I don't recall anyone thinking that was a compliment. Gonzaga's success has continued for over a decade. Cinderella's future as a princess or household drudge is irrelevant. The Cinderella phenomenon refers only to initial success. Taking the analogy further just seems awkward.

Oregonzagnut
03-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Cinderella success can also be interpreted as a fluke. The 1979 Sonics team was labeled a Cinderella team and I don't recall anyone thinking that was a compliment. Gonzaga's success has continued for over a decade. Cinderella's future as a princess or household drudge is irrelevant. The Cinderella phenomenon refers only to initial success. Taking the analogy further just seems awkward.

I agree it really only refers to the initial success and the change from pauper to princess. And I would even add that it is referred only to the NCAA tournament, not any other tourney or sport.

But I still don't want to change the name of "The Slipper Still Fits" because that was the statement that the nation heard when we beat Florida.

It is a quote seconds after our greatest post season victory and that can never be taken away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXeWvucvH8

Gus Johnson:
"And its over! Gonzaga! The Slipper Still Fits!"

Why change it? It is part of our history and it doesn't have to include any negative connotations of being poor or mid-major.

It is a quote about a particular event in our history and I love it because it keeps me grounded to our roots.

McZag
03-28-2013, 06:09 PM
And piss poor play in March hurts us in the long run. Telling a recruit, "Hey come here you can play good OOC teams, most likely win the WCC and play a game, if you are lucky maybe 2 in the NCAA!" doesn't fly.

And oh I forgot. There will be 17 NBA scouts in LA when we play LMU....

McZag
03-28-2013, 06:15 PM
1 seeds are not cinderella's. Time for a change. Slipper doesn't fit anymore.

Oregonzagnut
03-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by primal23

And oh I forgot. There will be 17 NBA scouts in LA when we play LMU....

and...... that they will be on national TV almost every week, be a part of a streak of 15+ straight tournaments, they will be in a basketball only town and school in a basketball conference, there has been continued growth and improvement in the players, staff and the facilities around you. The staff will NEVER be involved in scandals or cheating to hinder your education and reputation and Gonzaga had developed 2 All-Americans and 1 NBA Hall of Famer and they follow through with what they say.

ZagaZags
03-28-2013, 07:14 PM
1 seeds are not cinderella's. Time for a change. Slipper doesn't fit anymore.

But I will go with Gonzaga vs WSU as the worst. #1 team for the first time and #1 seed for the first time.

Our season turned into a pumpkin last week.
The pumpkin still fits?

Bocco
03-28-2013, 07:19 PM

It's better than telling a recruit "hey come to our school and watch Gonzaga go to the tourney."

kclubfounder
03-28-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't like our fan base as much as I thought I did.

Adversity has a way of exposing ugliness.

RenoZag
03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Why should anyone care what name a blog site calls itself ?

bartruff1
03-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Why should anyone care what name a blog site calls itself ?

No one...it was just another way to insult and mock the players and the coaches.

I'm with Founder.

ZagaZags
03-28-2013, 08:19 PM
No one...it was just another way to insult and mock the players and the coaches.

I'm with Founder.

This team will come back next season pissing fire because of how this fantastic season ended.

UberZagFan
03-28-2013, 09:29 PM

Would love to see that hypothesis tested!

The 1979 Sonics team was labeled a Cinderella team and I don't recall anyone thinking that was a compliment.

Uh, the '79 Sonics that won the championship one year after losing in the finals 4-3 to the Bullets were labeled a Cinderella? That's curious.

LongIslandZagFan
03-29-2013, 03:24 AM
i don't like our fan base as much as i thought i did.

Adversity has a way of exposing ugliness.

+1,000,000