PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Recruiting Roundup: Allen, Wright and others

CDC84
03-27-2013, 10:05 PM
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2013/3/27/4152854/a-few-wednesday-notes-grayson-allen-to-visit-gonzaga

Gonzaga is pursuing a number of guards and wings in the 2014 class, and although it seemed to some like a long shot initially, Jacksonville FL based shooting guard Grayson Allen is highly interested in Gonzaga and could visit as early as May. Allen is currently ranked at #39 with scout.com and at #32 with rivals.com. Offers range from Miami to Florida to Texas. North Carolina, Duke and Indiana are looking at him as well.

Also, according to Colorado's scout.com site, Los Angeles shooting guard Namon Wright is interested in officially visiting Gonzaga. Wright looked like a shoe in for UCLA before the recent coaching change. Namon is currently ranked at #30 with scout.com and #53 with rivals.com. Offers range from Arizona to Oklahoma State to Oregon to UW.

It was reported earlier that Aurora CO combo guard Josh Perkins will be visiting Gonzaga in the coming weeks. He might be the top priority in the 2014 class for the Zags. Perkins is currently a 5 star player, ranked at #26 with scout.com. He has already visited New Mexico and Kansas likes him a lot too.

The Zags also have some interest in these wings:

1) Malik Pope (6-8) = #7 rivals.com, Sacramento area

2) Donaven Dorsey (6-6) = #92 rivals.com, Lacey, WA

3) Kameron Chatman (6-6) = #31 scout.com, from Long Beach

4) Isaiah Bailey (6-5) = #78 scout.com, from Compton, lists GU with high interest

One last item of note.....Rivals.com recently updated their rankings, and they still list Gonzaga as one of Goodluck Okonoboh's school choices:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Goodluck-Okonoboh-116530;_ylt=AhQKStNnkrwdIazqfTgnB9nVO5B4

Gonzaga could use an athletic, shotblocking big man. I have no idea where GU really stands with him. I know that Gerard Coleman used to play for one of the AAU teams Goodluck has played on.

Reborn
03-27-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm hoping GU can find and land players who can play the game with savey, but also with toughness. I am hoping we can find players as tough as Pangos and Stockton but who are 6' 3". And, yes, CDC, I so agree that we need more toughness down low like we had with Sacre. I would like a power forward like Casey Calvary. WE need athleticism and toughness down low.

ZAGGED OUT
03-28-2013, 05:54 AM
I would love to be wrong on my thoughts of how our last game will affect our recruiting. Hope we still get these guys. Perkins, Allen, and Pope would be HUGE.

Zagcity
03-28-2013, 06:20 AM
I would love to be wrong on my thoughts of how our last game will affect our recruiting. Hope we still get these guys. Perkins, Allen, and Pope would be HUGE.

Yeah, you might be right. Kentucky's recruiting is going to be on the downhill slide also. ;)

cggonzaga
03-28-2013, 06:27 AM
If its not abundantly clear after this year's tournament that athletic guards/wings win in March then I don't know what is. We need 2 of these guys, preferably 3. Big men just don't win in March. You need 1, preferably a shot blocker, and that's it. Some of us have said this for years now. Athletes athletes athletes!

ZAGGED OUT
03-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Yeah, you might be right. Kentucky's recruiting is going to be on the downhill slide also. ;)

I guess that's a good attempt at a snide comment but it's a pretty bad comparison in reality.

CDC84
03-28-2013, 07:30 AM
If its not abundantly clear after this year's tournament that athletic guards/wings win in March then I don't know what is. We need 2 of these guys, preferably 3.

A major college basketaball analyst told me after the WSU loss that this needs to be a major focus with Gonzaga recruiting in the coming years. They simply need to get taller, longer and more athletic at off guard and small forward. It's one of the things (not the only thing) that will help with the 3 point shooting defense. He feels that Gonzaga, in some ways, really misses the days of Erroll Knight and Anthony Reason. That being said, the program is at the point where they can now recruit these kinds of players but have them with a little more offensive skill.

One would like to think that these kids could see the value of this program beyond the recent NCAA tournament loss. Gonzaga had a historic season for the program. AP #1 ranking, number one seed, etc.