PDA

View Full Version : Huffington: A Diamond in the Rough: The Rise of Kelly Olynyk

Ezag
03-27-2013, 01:29 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/misha-hyman/a-diamond-in-the-rough-th_1_b_2957873.html

Reborn
03-27-2013, 02:12 PM
This is a great article on Kelly, and his potential in the NBA. I also like the Huffington Post. IMO it's a credible magazine. One of my favorites when it comes to politics. I trust it's sports department is equally accountable.

The one part of the article that I especially like is when the author talks about Kelly's patience. Yes, it has been a great attribute of Kelly. And hopefully he will be patient and wait one more year before heading for the NBA.

Many, many great NBA players did not enter the NBA until they finished their collegiate careers. To me, there is way too much talk and paranoia of a players chance of getting hurt in his last year of college. History does not support that argument. Even Roney Turiof came back for his senior year. And he's still playing in the NBA. John Stockton also played his senior year, and he had a great NBA career. For me there is a lot of time to play in the NBA. LOTS. You only have a few years to play in college. The collegiate life style is so special and unique, and it's my opinion that spending one more year in college, at GU which is a special place, would not hurt Kelly's career in the NBA at all. If he comes back to Gonzaga he could be one of the greatest heros that GU has ever had.

Birddog
03-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Decent article but the short terse style, choppy sentences, and repetitive nature of the article kept making me think "Bleacher Report", Sure enough, this guy is maybe just a step above. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/misha-hyman/
It's always a good thing to get favorable press though.

Mojo13
03-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Be careful with the Huffington Post my friend.

It was orginally started as a liberal/left commentary outlet, sort of the left's answer to the Drudge Report. Arianna Huffington is very left wing - Nothing wrong with that, but you need to understand their reports and commentary are often seen as liberally biased and quite slanted to the left.

It has moderated over time after it was sold to AOL (in 2011), but Arianna is still edititor in chief. It probably should not be relied on for unbiased reporting or is known for journalisitc integreity (what is nowadays though?). At least it is not as blatantly biased as Fox News (a pathetic excuse for journalism).

Plus any writer calling Marcus Smart "always consitant" has no idea what they are writing about. His major critique is too often disappearing in games ala 2nd round vs Oregon.