PDA

View Full Version : What About A Game on Saturday before Selection Sunday?

BobZag
03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
To keep the team in "game mode" since the team looked lethargic and rusty overall in SLC and previous years.

It could be any nearby Big Sky school, from EWU to MSU to PSU. Or Idaho. No, it wouldn't be elite competition that would actually test the Zags, but it would keep the guys in "game mode" during all those days between WCC Tourney and NCAA Tourney.

Thoughts?

Angelo Roncalli
03-27-2013, 09:59 AM
That Saturday is the day of the finals of the Big Sky basketball tournament.

ZagLawGrad
03-27-2013, 10:03 AM
How about the Huskies to help then get ready for the NIT?

rijman
03-27-2013, 10:04 AM
This makes good sense, the Zags have done similar in recent years, until this season, playing a game after the end of conference play before the start of the WCC tourney.

I was surprised to see USF play a game after the WCC tourney this season.

I'm guessing scheduling is a challenge because the Zags will have to play one less game during the season to accomodate the later game and with 2 more conference games next season they lose another 2 games there, so they would schedule 3 less OOC games prior to the end of the WCC tourney. But if playing a game after the WCC tourney can help, why not?

cjm720
03-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Yes would be great. BUT a dangerous game for both us and the opponent if on the bubble.

I'd prefer scheduling two or three games during conference play vs. high level opponents. BUT that creates a scheduling nightmare for all parties.

Tough situation...WCC helps and hurts us at the same time.

BobZag
03-27-2013, 10:13 AM
That Saturday is the day of the finals of the Big Sky basketball tournament.

It would be a team that perhaps only made the quarterfinals, or missed completely like EWU did. It could be scheduled late.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
It would be a team that perhaps only made the quarterfinals, or missed completely like EWU did. It could be scheduled late.

Sounds great in theory. In practice, this board would completely melt down if one of our starters went down with a serious injury in such a meaningless game.

zag944
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
I think this years slow start was a matter of nerves over the 1 seed and the expectation that comes with it.

Last couple of seasons before this one we played that first game like we were shot out of a cannon. Staying fresh over the delay hasnt been a problem in my mind. And, we've only lost in the first game 3 times over this tourney run (one of those times as a lower seed, one of those times playing a very underseeded Davidson)

Malastein
03-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Why not an even stronger opponent where the bragging rights might mean something?

MDABE80
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Why not an even stronger opponent where the bragging rights might mean something?

Montana ? Montana St? Something like that? We surely need a few games prior to the NCAA tourney. Such rust. AND it always happens.

hegotit!
03-27-2013, 11:18 AM
An injury this late in the game could be devasting. Rather push the conferance tourny a weekend later.

KStyles
03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
An injury this late in the game could be devasting. Rather push the conferance tourny a weekend later.

Wouldn't that still result in risk of injury the weekend of Selection Sunday (and in potentially 3 games instead of 1)?

Malastein
03-27-2013, 11:36 AM

There's always a risk to injury, and you don't ever play in fear of it. That's called being soft. I'm thinking a Memphis or a Butler, and then getting the conference to schedule 3-4 conference games in December. I'd have at least one strong nonconference opponent per month.

rennis
03-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Are there rules against closed-gym scrimmages late in the season? If they can scrimmage Texas in the pre-season, why not someone else late?

We would never get a BCS team to play us that Saturday, but what about a "power" team from another mid-major? Fly two teams to a neutral court, bring in some schizophrenic referees, and let them go at it for 40 minutes.

Creighton would be the perfect match.

KStyles
03-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Are there rules against closed-gym scrimmages late in the season? If they can scrimmage Texas in the pre-season, why not someone else late?

No rule against holding the scrimmage that late in the year, but they only get a total of two exhibitions and practice scrimmages combined per year, so either the preseason scrimmage or preseason exhibition would have to be cut out in order to hold a scrimmage at the end of the year.

cjm720
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM

We would never get a BCS team to play us that Saturday, but what about a "power" team from another mid-major? Fly two teams to a neutral court, bring in some schizophrenic referees, and let them go at it for 40 minutes.

Creighton would be the perfect match.

Good idea...I'd prefer to have the measuring stick leading into the tourney than in November.

spike_jr
03-27-2013, 12:27 PM
I just think getting a quality D-1 opponent (whether it be an exhibition or actual game) would be very challenging at that point in the season. Too much conflict with tournaments, travel, etc. God knows the huskies would be available, but then again, I would prefer good competition that does not drag our RPI down ;).

SteelCityZag
03-27-2013, 12:27 PM

I agree with the idea behind pushing the conference tourney to a week later, but remember...with BYU in the WCC, our conference championship finals are now on a Monday. We can't have our conference finals after Selection Sunday--just won't work. Best to schedule a game Thurs-Sat before Selection Sunday.

mgadfly
03-27-2013, 01:32 PM
We could try to get the Missouri Valley Conference to agree to play the WCC the Friday before selection Sunday.

Tournament Winner vs Tournament Winner
#2 vs #2
#3 vs #3
#4 vs #4
#5 vs #5
#6 vs #6
#7 vs #7
#8 vs #8
#9 vs #9
#10 vs #10

Rotate locations or something.

coolhandzag
03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
How about a flag football game between WSU or Idaho? Those guys have plenty of time. Note to the Zags.....leave the Honda in Spokane.

CDC84
03-27-2013, 03:11 PM
It has to be a team whose conference tournament finishes early, so you're probably not going to get a BCS team. Here's list of the conference tournaments that took place this year:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-12-24/2013-division-i-mens-basketball-championship-central

A Missouri Valley opponent would be best. Their tourney ends before the WCC's.

kclubfounder
03-27-2013, 03:13 PM
We could try to get the Missouri Valley Conference to agree to play the WCC the Friday before selection Sunday.

Tournament Winner vs Tournament Winner
#2 vs #2
#3 vs #3
#4 vs #4
#5 vs #5
#6 vs #6
#7 vs #7
#8 vs #8
#9 vs #9
#10 vs #10

Rotate locations or something.

Awesome idea. Both conferences have a LONG wait between their tournament and the Big Dance.

Who plays who would take some strong consideration, because seeds could get hurt - and the possibility of somebody getting left out of the tournament exists. Of course, seeds can be improved and a "bubble" team may earn their way in.

I suspect the way you lay it out is the best way. I would love it to happen.

Angelo Roncalli
03-27-2013, 03:49 PM
The most workable option would be to bring in a team from the Ivy League. They don't have a conference tournament and their last regular season game is the Saturday of the WCC tournament. Harvard or Princeton would offer a reasonable quality foe that wouldn't be an RPI killer. Put one of the guarantee games at the end of the season.

vandalzag
03-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Play a collection of Alumni, winners get Steak and losers get beans. All proceeds go to CVC. This could go backfire if the Alumni come motivated and with plenty of subs.

That being said I would agree with the game being a good idea, since the layoff is a killer, Ivy league or another league that ends Monday or Tuesday would be the best bet.

McZag
03-27-2013, 05:36 PM
How about the Huskies to help then get ready for the NIT?

Ha! Perfect!

Zags11
03-27-2013, 05:37 PM
If possible, i love it.

VinnyZag
03-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Schedule Harvard now. They sound like a sure thing Ivy champion next year.

RenoZag
03-27-2013, 06:13 PM
To keep the team in "game mode" since the team looked lethargic and rusty overall in SLC and previous years.

Thoughts?

Thoughts ?

It's the job of the coaching staff to keep the team in game mode, avoid the rust, etc.. If they think that's what's needed, go for it.

I didn't think they looked rusty or lethargic as much as they looked tight, BZ.

I'm just a casual observer with a TV point of view. The "experts" on this board and elsewhere have all thrown out notions as to what might help the Zags do better in March. . .