PDA

View Full Version : Greg Crawford's Solution: Fire Few, Hire Howland

CDC84
03-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Seriously......

http://www.csnnw.com/blog/crawfords-court/few-far-postseason-success-yes-its-time-change

Since my advice always comes at a great price, FREE, here is a little suggestion for Gonzaga AD Mike Roth. Bring in Ben Howland, who is being let go at UCLA unfairly. Howland does know how to win in postseason, having taken the Bruins to three straight Final Fours, 2006-08.

And do I dare keep going. Mark Few would make a great coach at Seattle University, where the Redhawks have had horrible success under Cameron Dollar.

Yes, there is a reason employees need to adapt to change, it is big part of life and so is change necessary when a coach continually fails in the postseason, after a constant sterling performance during the regular season. Gonzaga, please "adapt to change."

Zag79
03-26-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm not a fan of calling someone stupid or acting like they don't know what they're talking about, but that is a terrible idea. I would be all for Howland joining the staff, who wouldn't? But don't fix it if it ain't broken regardless of March applies here. Thanks but no thanks.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm not a fan of calling someone stupid or acting like they don't know what they're talking about, but that is a terrible idea. I would be all for Howland joining the staff, who wouldn't? But don't fix it if it ain't broken regardless of March applies here. Thanks but no thanks.

agree

Reborn
03-26-2013, 01:28 PM
The unprofessionalism of journalists never ceases to amaze me. This kind of an article is so unprofessional. Why don't journalists do their work. If they did they would know that if Few ever left that Tommy Floyd would get the head coaching job. So let's STOP the nonsense, please. Misleading trash just doesn't belong on this board. Why try to start a conversation when the idea you present is completely irrational?

Cush
03-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Greg Crawford of CSN NW says Mark Few should be fired & replaced with Ben Howland. I say Crawford should be fired and replaced with a lemur. - Seth Davis via Twitter

BobZag
03-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Forgive me, but honestly, I have never heard of a Craig Crawford. Maybe he's the smartest, most insightful analyst in the country, but fwiw I have no idea who he is.

cjm720
03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Howland might be a good coach but the UCLA name is bringing in those recruits.

webspinnre
03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Greg Crawford of CSN NW says Mark Few should be fired & replaced with Ben Howland. I say Crawford should be fired and replaced with a lemur. - Seth Davis via Twitter

:clap: :roll:

UberZagFan
03-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Ok that is a hilarious comment by Seth Davis.

And here's Dave Boling's response to articles such as this one:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/03/26/2530348/zags-may-have-fallen-flat-at-ncaas.html

jazzdelmar
03-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Why not a Kekich-Peterson switcheroo?

Birddog
03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
What an idiot. How did UCLA do this year? One of the problems with UCLA and the job is that The Wasserman Media Group apparently provides some comfort to the program. Not enough has been discovered to get UCLA into bigtime NCAA trouble just yet, but there is a smell of rotten cheese. Google them up for some bedtime reading. Don't put too much into the fact that Wasserman is an agent for sports figures.

hegotit!
03-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Maybe if it was for Tom Izzo, but thats just a dream!!

We just need a good defensive assistant if Ray G or Donnie D leaves.

Mantua
03-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Forgive me, but honestly, I have never heard of a Craig Crawford. Maybe he's the smartest, most insightful analyst in the country, but fwiw I have no idea who he is.

Craig Crawford is a political analyst. The article in question was written by Greg Crawford.

All of these guys need to just stop writing and talking about GU as they go down these rabbit holes.

JPtheBeasta
03-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Early exits from single-elimination tournaments seems to bring out the crazy in people. I used to think March Madness referred to the actual games...

maynard g krebs
03-26-2013, 04:22 PM
A burrito has the distinct advantage of being larger that a taco. Plus, it is an American food, having been invented in Los Angeles, where Ben Howland last worked.

Just trying to bring some relevance to the thread.

rennis
03-26-2013, 05:16 PM
a burrito has the distinct advantage of being larger that a taco. Plus, it is an american food, having been invented in los angeles, where ben howland last worked.

Just trying to bring some relevance to the thread.

lol

rijman
03-26-2013, 07:12 PM
he's not just a tool, he's the entire box
Ha ha! In our house we use the term "tool box" for someone who is more than a tool.

I think hiring Ben Howland as the head coach is a great idea, for someone else. Just look what he did for UCLA in recent years. If you can't put together a decent team at UCLA you sure as heck have no business coming to GU.

vandalzag
03-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Ha ha! In our house we use the term "tool box" for someone who is more than a tool.

I think hiring Ben Howland as the head coach is a great idea, for someone else. Just look what he did for UCLA in recent years. If you can't put together a decent team at UCLA you sure as heck have no business coming to GU.

Greg Dohrmann from SI.Com had a great write up regarding Howland and how it started going wrong good read (real journalism using things like facts and research). Kind of shows what goes wrong when change what made you successful.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130325/ucla-ben-howland/index.html

Birddog
03-27-2013, 04:13 AM
I had to laugh at this quote from the SI article, a good read BTW.

It led several AAU coaches to conclude that Howland couldn't be trusted, and they began advising their best players not to consider UCLA.

Irony

TexasZagFan
03-27-2013, 04:50 AM
he's not just a tool, he's the entire box

He's a few beers short of a six pack.

Zageist
03-27-2013, 09:01 AM
not gonna happen.

hooter73
03-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Continual Early exits from single-elimination tournaments seems to bring out the crazy in people. I used to think March Madness referred to the actual games...

Fixed it.

GoZags
03-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Hooter. Do you realize that Gonzaga has underperformed to its seed 4 out of 16 times and once in the last 5 years? While nobody is happy about this year's early exit I take issue with folks that think it is a continual thing.

McZag
03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Wow. We have come to this.

Ok folks, who thinks Mark Few is overpaid? If you do, get ready to pay $3-4M for Ben Howland. Why? Because you will need to beg him to come to the WCC.

You see, in the then, Gonzaga is nothing more than the WCC. And it is impossible to take a WCC team to the Final Four. WCC teams have no business having Final Four expectations. So says the likes of basketball minds outside of the Pac. time zone.

So pay Ben triple what you are paying now and expect to continue to exit in the second round or even end up for a few years in the NIT.

titopoet
03-27-2013, 12:09 PM
So fire Few, who got the most out recruits and maximize their talents, and hire Howland who with the influence and power of UCLA could not get his NBA first rounders to win on a consistent basis. What does this prove. Those that can, rather than teach, write loaded articles to excite fans.