• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

UNM Lobo Editor Melts Down

It is amazing to me how so many fans simply cannot control their emotions, no matter how hard they may try. They forget the regular season success (conference and nonconference), they forget the conference tourney success, they only focus on what happens in a few games in March. And when their team loses, they can't handle their own emotions. Fans go viral on Twitter or Facebook. Fans go insane on radio sports talk shows. In Europe, fans throw knives on soccer pitches, or worse, run onto the field to attack a player. These people must have nothing else going in their lives, no balance. It is just sports, it is a game some guy invented. It's not your health, finances, mortgage, insurance, job, wife, children, parents, etc. It's sports. Clearly, this fella has bought into the "Only March Matters" line that the media keeps hammering everyone with. I thought New Mexico had a terrific year. If I were a Lobo fan, I'd be feeling great. One subpar game in March doesn't change a thing. Grow up, get a life and for gawd's sake get a grip on your emotions.

March 22, 2013

Dennis Latta
    Loboland.com Editor

I really thought that the University of New Mexico finally had a men's basketball team that earned the loyalty of their fans.

I was wrong.

I've been around Lobo basketball for 33 seasons. For 32 of those seasons, I knew that UNM had a team that could fold and lose to anyone at any time. I never got my expectations too high because a collapse was possible anytime they walked out on that floor.

I thought this team was different. I was convinced that this Lobo team was for real. It had experience, a good front line and a good backcourt and good chemistry and was smart.

I was wrong.

The main difference between these Lobos and the others who fell flat was that the 2012-13 team played defense. New Mexico forced opponents to take bad shots and actually guarded. This team had real potential.

I was wrong.

This was a team that had the MWC Player of the Year in Kendall Williams and the MWC Tournament MVP in Tony Snell and two big men who had been outstanding at times and a point guard who had developed quickly. I never expected the Player of the Year to be absolutely invisible when he was needed most or that the tournament MVP couldn't hit a 3-pointer on a bet.

I was wrong.

I thought this team had accomplished something by winning the Mountain West Conference during the regular season and in the tournament. A win over UNLV on its home floor was impressive. Beating San Diego State and Colorado State and Boise State was the sign of success because the conference and these teams were so good.

I was wrong.

Now, the mighty MWC is 1-3 in the NCAA, and has not lost to any team seeded above a 13. It's not like they lost to Indiana or Louisville or even Georgetown or Michigan State. No, the losses were to the traditional powerhouses of LaSalle, California and Harvard. The league I thought was so good turns out to be so bad.

I was wrong.

I was disappointed when New Mexico was seeded a lowly third. I truly believed UNM would prove the committee wrong and thought that going to the Final Four was a realistic possibility. This was going to be the Year of the Lobo. New Mexico was finally going to get the credit, the respect and the attention it deserved.

I was wrong.

I thought that coach Steve Alford and athletic director Paul Krebbs were smart to announce a new 10-year contract the day before the Lobos started their march through the NCAA. No one would complain about the big dollars because UNM was on the road to glory.

I was wrong.

But I won't be wrong again. It was a lot easier to take when expectations were lower. Losing was acceptable because UNM had almost always lost when it really counted. You didn't have visions of greatness, only to have them dashed. After the pitiful performance UNM put up against a team that doesn't even offer scholarships, I've given up. Having all five starters back next season means nothing on a team that can just disappear like that. I'd be back to wondering when it would collapse, have a terrible game and lose to an inferior team again.

No, I've had it. I've been to my last Lobo basketball game after covering the team for much of the last 33 years.

Good-bye Lobo basketball.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • Hoopaholic
    • Mar 2008

any zag season ticket holders that want to get in line and take the same position as this ....(deleted the word because I dont want to call people names) editor by stating wont go to anymore games.......

PLEASE EMAIL ME IMMEDIATELY SO I CAN PURCHASE YOUR SEASON TICKETS
    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2008

Heard he was pretty much a "has been" or "never was" as a writer.

I visited with a number of Lobos fans in SLC, and they are rabid to say the least. And what else is there in NM besides basketball?
      "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• Hoopaholic
        • Mar 2008

Aliens and Area 51......FLETC and Air Marshal Academy (can cause a person to drink excessively after 2 weeks knowing you still have 12 more weeks in Artesia)
        The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

If you look at how poor they were on offense, UNM had an amazing year. Their wins came through effort and defensive intensity. Fans should appreciate that.

Comment

• cjm720
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

What a loser...
            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• rennis
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

If ever the RPI was proven pointless, this was the year. Scrap it.
              Originally posted by Coach Few
              We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• vandalzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                It is amazing to me how so many fans simply cannot control their emotions, no matter how hard they may try. They forget the regular season success (conference and nonconference), they forget the conference tourney success, they only focus on what happens in a few games in March. And when their team loses, they can't handle their own emotions. Fans go viral on Twitter or Facebook. Fans go insane on radio sports talk shows. In Europe, fans throw knives on soccer pitches, or worse, run onto the field to attack a player. These people must have nothing else going in their lives, no balance. It is just sports, it is a game some guy invented. It's not your health, finances, mortgage, insurance, job, wife, children, parents, etc. It's sports. Clearly, this fella has bought into the "Only March Matters" line that the media keeps hammering everyone with. I thought New Mexico had a terrific year. If I were a Lobo fan, I'd be feeling great. One subpar game in March doesn't change a thing. Grow up, get a life and for gawd's sake get a grip on your emotions.
                Thank goodness we do not have any of that on this site. I am just upset Lobo Editor forgot to blame David Stockton for the Lobos losing.

Comment

• cbbfanatic
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
                  And what else is there in NM besides basketball?
                  The Sandias, Taos, Santa Fe, Balloon Fiesta, and GREAT food. NM isnt the greatest place, but its really not that bad either - much better than perceived.

Comment

• Zaglaw
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vandalzag View Post
                    Thank goodness we do not have any of that on this site. I am just upset Lobo Editor forgot to blame David Stockton for the Lobos losing.

Comment

• GoZags
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I'm up for giving the guy a "mulligan" or a "do-over" in a week or so.
                      sigpic
                      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                      ——-
                      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• zagzilla
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

After 31 years, a good excuse to support his likely already-made decision to retire. He probably would have done the same ting if they had won it all.

Just ensured some extra hits to his story on his way out the door.

ZZ

Comment

• BobZag
                          Dark Lord of the Zag
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by vandalzag View Post
                          Part of the plan, sir.
                          The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• CDC84
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

This idiot ought to consider that the Lobos are a young team. Everyone is returning, and they are adding pieces, including Alford's son, who is an elite scorer (as you might imagine).......

Comment

• siliconzag
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

The value of tantrums

are that the evil spirits are expunged. Kids frequently have these tantrums, and smart parents just sit by and watch and act like they are somebody else's kid, and let them kick and scream. Then magically, as if the demons that previously possessed them are dispatched from their little bodies. Most of the time their very next emotion is sweetness and joy.

I suspect that basketball fans are a bit like children. Some feel a need to vent, and then they think they feel better. This year, I am disappointed and sad a lot, and only mad a little bit. I am trying to keep myself from acting overly sad or depressed, and not at all mad. Last night I even left my state of mourning to go out with friends and enjoy some nice wine and good food. It was better than a tantrum, and by now, the tantrum evoking event, is but another in a string of rotten memories, dating back to 1958 when Elgin Baylor's team failed to defeat the evil Adolph Rupp. Losing is no fun. And tantrums are probably as overrated as the Zags and Lobos were. The Lobo fan will not start rooting for UNLV or NMSU all of a sudden.

Comment

Working...
                              X