PDA

View Full Version : Giacoletti favorite for drake job

Ekrub
03-26-2013, 08:05 AM
Per SSF and Jeff goodman

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2013/3/26/4148924/ray-giacoletti-drake-gonzaga-head-coach

Cruddy

MDABE80
03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Good place. He might take this one. Midwest guy. Nice place to live and it's in the Missouri Valley Conference. MVC will suffer plenty with Creighton gone but it'll be a solid conference. Ray's a solid character and I'd hate to see him go.

Hoopaholic
03-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Agree Doc.....MVC is ripe for the picking with Creightons departure and building a program could lead to long term success

Reborn
03-26-2013, 10:45 AM
There might be an opening for Ben Howland. Good news.

webspinnre
03-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Good for Ray, not so good for us.

BobZag
03-26-2013, 10:52 AM
I'll bet Ray goes. Just a feeling.

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Drake will get a good catch if he goes there.

CDC84
03-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think this job is all that great. Creighton departing the MVC is going to hurt their status as a league. But RayG wants to be a head coach again, and these are the kinds of jobs that are being offered to him. Personally, I think he deserves better. Perhaps he could use Drake as a stepping stone.

Reborn
03-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Congrats to Ray. Change is good, for everyone. I hope he gets the job. Wasn't he the defence coach?

VinnyZag
03-26-2013, 12:18 PM
I know there's a lot of sentiment to bring in an "elite-level" assistant if Giac or Daniels leaves. But what about the grad assistants, both of whom are Zags? At some point, doesn't one of them deserve to get a full-time gig?

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Surely the Zags will open applications to members of the GUB.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Hire Hart

Zag 77
03-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Going to the state with the highest amount of pig manure exports sounds like a winner to me !!

Seriously though, Ray G would likely be taking a pay cut to go there. And this is on top of losing his shorts to the pyramid schemer who committed suicide a few years ago. Whatever millions he got from the Utah job is long gone.

Maybe he figures he needs to have some success as a head coach again before he can get a better paying high profile job.

Oregonzagnut
03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Congrats to Ray. Change is good, for everyone. I hope he gets the job. Wasn't he the defence coach?

I want all Zags to succeed, but I actually don't want him to go anywhere. If we lose Daniels and Giacoletti both at once, that will hurt more than the 2nd round loss.

If we use the logic of some doomsayers, the loss will be so damaging that recruits will not choose GU. Then why do schools want our staff that orchestrated such a bad loss?

Our program improved a lot this year. We got 4-5 more wins than normal, a #1 ranking and a #1 seed. In fact we did so well, we might just lose our staff because we did so well.

jazzdelmar
03-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Fwiw, Drake is located in a terrible area of Des Moines. Home of the famed Drake Relays, last time I was there barbed wire surrounded the stadium.

DrakeBulldog
03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Fwiw, Drake is located in a terrible area of Des Moines. Home of the famed Drake Relays, last time I was there barbed wire surrounded the stadium.

LOL....that's a good one. Never seen barbed wire anywhere in Des Moines, other than by the Polk County Jail, back when it was in the city. You sound like a UNI fan (University of Northern Iowa).

What can you guys tell me about Coach Giacoletti? Obviously, he's been an assistant at GU, so it's probably hard to say what his coaching philosophy is.

If he gets the job, I think he'll really like Des Moines, which is consistently rated among the top 10 cities for young adults, and for doing business. Not a whole lot of pig manure in Des Moines.

For whoever said he'd be taking a pay cut; are you really paying your assistants $500,000 per year?

KStyles
03-26-2013, 06:11 PM
For whoever said he'd be taking a pay cut; are you really paying your assistants $500,000 per year?

Not sure how accurate/complete Gonzaga's Equity in Athletics numbers (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/) are (reporting methods vary from school to school), but the salary figures GU submitted for 2011-2012 show they paid 8.5 full-time and 2 part-time men's team assistant coaches (2 FT Baseball, 3 FT Basketball, 1 FT Rowing, 2 FT Soccer, 0.5 FT Track/XC, 1 PT baseball & 1 PT Tennis) a total of $706,662. It doesn't outline how it's split among those 11 coaches, but if that figure is accurate/complete, Giacoletti isn't getting anywhere near 500k/yr.

Side note: The same figures show the 6.5 head coaches of men's teams (Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Rowing, Soccer, Tennis, 0.5 XC/Track) recieved total salaries of $1,453,032.

jazzdelmar
03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
so your saying Drake is in a decent neighborhood? must be lots of urban renewal bucks coming off the ethanol subsidies.....

LOL....that's a good one. Never seen barbed wire anywhere in Des Moines, other than by the Polk County Jail, back when it was in the city. You sound like a UNI fan (University of Northern Iowa).

What can you guys tell me about Coach Giacoletti? Obviously, he's been an assistant at GU, so it's probably hard to say what his coaching philosophy is.

If he gets the job, I think he'll really like Des Moines, which is consistently rated among the top 10 cities for young adults, and for doing business. Not a whole lot of pig manure in Des Moines.

DrakeBulldog
03-26-2013, 06:18 PM
so your saying Drake is in a decent neighborhood? must be lots of urban renewal bucks coming off the ethanol subsidies.....

Yeah, Drake is in a decent neighborhood. The neighborhood east of Drake is a little sketchy. There is certainly no barbed wire around Drake Stadium (or anywhere else at Drake) as you suggested earlier.

But, I'm a Chicago guy, so my definition of decent neighborhood might be different than yours. I've spent many an evening in the Drake neighborhood, and never felt uncomfortable at all.

So, anyway, what are your guys' thought about Coach Giacoletti?

GoZags
03-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Not sure how accurate/complete Gonzaga's Equity in Athletics numbers (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/) are (reporting methods vary from school to school), but the salary figures GU submitted for 2011-2012 show they paid 8.5 full-time and 2 part-time men's team assistant coaches (2 FT Baseball, 3 FT Basketball, 1 FT Rowing, 2 FT Soccer, 0.5 FT Track/XC, 1 PT baseball & 1 PT Tennis) a total of $706,662. It doesn't outline how it's split among those 11 coaches, but if that figure is accurate/complete, Giacoletti isn't getting anywhere near 500k/yr.

Side note: The same figures show the 6.5 head coaches of men's teams (Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Rowing, Soccer, Tennis, 0.5 XC/Track) recieved total salaries of $1,453,032.

Any numbers coming from Gonzaga would not include money from outside sources I.e. The Mark Few Show, camps, etc.

Ekrub
03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Giacoletti is responsible for some of our best recruits, if I'm not mistaken. He will be missed.

jazzdelmar
03-26-2013, 06:41 PM
ok, good to hear. im from brooklyn, btw, so im sure we see eye to eye. wife is from grinnell and we went to a h.s. grad at drake maybe 8-10 yrs ago and im certain the area and stadium were beyond sketchy. thx.

Yeah, Drake is in a decent neighborhood. The neighborhood east of Drake is a little sketchy. There is certainly no barbed wire around Drake Stadium (or anywhere else at Drake) as you suggested earlier.

But, I'm a Chicago guy, so my definition of decent neighborhood might be different than yours. I've spent many an evening in the Drake neighborhood, and never felt uncomfortable at all.

kitzbuel
03-26-2013, 06:48 PM

You won't like him, he's horrible. Go hire Tubby Smith and get off of our grass!

DrakeBulldog
03-26-2013, 06:58 PM
You won't like him, he's horrible. Go hire Tubby Smith and get off of our grass!

LOL.

Rumors getting much stronger in DSM that he's the guy.

jazzdelmar
03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
LOL.

Rumors getting much stronger in DSM that he's the guy.

snow much today? :)

BobZag
03-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Keep us informed, DB. Thanks.

sylean
03-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Drake is in the middle of nowhere....Des Moynes Iowa.....one would think going from Gonzaga to Des Moynes is a bit of a step down...

KStyles
03-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Here’s what I can tell you, as of Tuesday evening:

Indiana State coach Greg Lansing talked to Drake about the job, which would have provided a bump financially, but decided to stay in Terre Haute. He didn’t feel comfortable accepting a different job in the same conference. Lansing, a Harlan native who wanted the Drake job when it was open in 2008 but was not interviewed, was making $219,000 at last report. Drake paid former coach Mark Phelps $291,000 in 2011, the last year for which tax records are available. But apparently the Bulldogs are willing to move north of that figure this time.

– Gonzaga assistant Ray Giacoletti has emerged as, at a minimum, a finalist for the position. The 49-year-old Peoria native has been on Mark Few’s staff since 2007, when he was fired after three years at the helm at Utah. Giacoletti had a telephone interview with Drake on Sunday and was said to be flying to Des Moines tonight for an on-campus interview tomorrow.

That will give him a chance to meet face to face not only with athletic director Sandy Hatfield Clubb, but also the Drake players. What is unknown is whether this interview is the precursor to a job offer, or if one or two more on-campus interviews will occur later.

If the latter is the case, look for Creighton assistant Darian DeVries and former Iowa Energy coach (and current Rio Grande Valley Vipers coach) Nick Nurse to be the two most likely to land interviews.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2013/03/26/up-to-the-minute-on-drake-coach-search-lansing-says-no-giacoletti-may-be-in-line/article

KStyles
03-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Drake is in the middle of nowhere....Des Moynes Iowa.....one would think going from Gonzaga to Des Moynes is a bit of a step down...

It'd seem going from an Assistant Coach to a Head Coach is a bit of a step up. http://i.imgur.com/eypSWs1.gif

Zageist
03-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Good for him, he's a great coach

1973Zag
03-27-2013, 07:39 AM
depends on your definition of nowhere. To people in Des Moines, Spokane is in the middle of nowhere!

bartruff1
03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
To the people in the West Side of the state...Spokane is no where.. the east side is Bellevue...after that...nothing...

jazzdelmar
03-27-2013, 08:49 AM
To the people in the West Side of the state...Spokane is no where.. the east side is Bellevue...after that...nothing...

Having served in the military at Lewis and Yakima and having biked clear across the state, I can say Washington is one of the most beautiful and varied states topographically in the country. One exception, the vast nuclear waste site that I unwittingly rode through. Add: It was the Hanford Nuclear Reservation.

Hoopaholic
03-27-2013, 09:16 AM
"One exception, the vast nuclear waste site that I unwittingly rode through".

Ahhhhhhh that explains alot:roll:

jazzdelmar
03-27-2013, 09:18 AM
"One exception, the vast nuclear waste site that I unwittingly rode through".

Ahhhhhhh that explains alot:roll:

i set you up perfectly for that, right? like an alley oop to kelly -- oh no! have a great easter.

Hoopaholic
03-27-2013, 09:32 AM
so the question would be.....did I slam it home one handed 9 inches above the rim or did I clank it off the back iron as the buzzer went off

Happy Easter

jazzdelmar
03-27-2013, 09:43 AM
so the question would be.....did I slam it home one handed 9 inches above the rim or did I clank it off the back iron as the buzzer went off

Happy Easter

You're a Zag so the jury's out. :D

gonwick
03-27-2013, 08:34 PM
http://seattletimes.com/html/budwithers/2020654895_withers28.html

Bud suggests michaelson may be ray's replacement if he leaves. I think he's a great guy from what little I know of him, but it seems to me that the program could use some new blood, preferably with a defensive emphasis.

Reborn
03-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Having served in the military at Lewis and Yakima and having biked clear across the state, I can say Washington is one of the most beautiful and varied states topographically in the country. One exception, the vast nuclear waste site that I unwittingly rode through. Add: It was the Hanford Nuclear Reservation.

Wow, Jazz how cool. I too biked from Spokane to Portland during Spring break my Sophomore year at Gonzaga. We biked through Yakima, my hometown, and over White Pass and the Cascades. It was one of my best times in my life. A great memory. Thanks for bringing it back to me.

KStyles
03-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Sounds like Giacoletti may have turned the job down, according to Miller and Brinson ("The No. 1 afternoon drive sports show in Des Moines"):

@MillerBrinson
Monday Greg Lansing turns down Drake, Wednesday Giacoletti says no thanks, is it time to call for a Nurse?

CDC84
03-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Drake just doesn't pay enough. I think this is an issue that keeps popping up for RayG when it comes to these jobs.

BroncoZAG615
03-28-2013, 09:13 AM
For what it is worth (and it may be nothing) but I have a few friends in that part of the world and they say that Miller & Brinson aren't exactly the most clued in guys to the inner-workings of the program. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that tweet but they have a 50/50 shot to get it right!

KStyles
03-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Yep, looks like they were wrong this time. Congrats to Coach Ray.

Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 2m

Drake expected to announce Ray Giacoletti as new head coach at 3 p.m. Central

Zag 77
03-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Seriously though, Ray G would likely be taking a pay cut to go there. And this is on top of losing his shorts to the pyramid schemer who committed suicide a few years ago. Whatever millions he got from the Utah job is long gone.

Ray has to balance the checkbook every month like the rest of us.

Late edit: Maybe Drake sweetened the ###? Promised him a freezer full of pork chops, bacon and ham every year?