PDA

View Full Version : Some tweets....some just stupid. Some more balanced.

MDABE80
03-25-2013, 06:47 PM
"Gonzaga is the third No. 1 seed to lose in the round of 32 in the last 4 years (2010 Kansas, 2011 Pittsburgh)"............from these tweeters....quoting ESPN article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1579342-gonzaga-basketball-what-bulldogs-must-do-in-2014-to-redeem-tournament-failure#/articles/1579199-twitter-reacts-as-wichita-state-knocks-no-1-seed-gonzaga-out-of-tournament

It's not just us. Nor were the other teams losing in the round of32 members of the WCC. It just happens.......Bring Kelly back..and we'll be a no 1-5 again. No matter what BCS lovers say.

SOMEBODY FIX "BALANCED" in the title!!!! lol

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
How many #1 seeds could win after they lost their starting 2-guard AND have 14 three pointers against them IN THE SAME GAME!

We improved this year in almost every way but tournament wins. The power league pundits can bite me.

Kelly has unfinished business.

ezcure17
03-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Finally, I have found 2 very smart posters!! lol. Everyone is making this out to be the WORST thing ever. It happens, the best team DON'T always win. Give us a HEALTHY GBJ for the 2nd half (actually for the whole game since he got hurt in the Southern game) and it would have been different. The 3's that they hit, MANY of them were contested, they just hit them, it happens. I know we are used to seeing whomever we play have a career night, but this year, unlike last year, we defended much better, look at the stats for the whole year. You can NOT lose your best lockdown defender and pretend that nothing happened, you just can't.

And like you said, a few other VERY GOOD, if not great #1 seeds have lost just as early as we did. Did they disappear? NO, they regrouped the next year and so on, and were very successful. That is what WE are going to do as well. Only 1 team wins this thing, all the rest lose. Would you have rather watched us get down when they were up by 13 and just give up and lose by 25, or do what we did, and come back as great as we did. The guys didn't give up for you, so don't give up on them!! We WILL be back next year, and if Kelly somehow decideds to stay, what a year we will have!! I can't wait til next year, and I know the team feels the same way!!

You can't blame the WCC for what happened. We played a good OOC schedule and kicked ass for most of it!!! Look what we did to St. Mary's for 3 games, and BYU as well. WE were the physical ones in most of our games. Did Kansas blame the Big 12? no...It was just something that happened.

I know we could have defended the 3 better against both Southern and Wichita St, but it didn't happen, and GBJ in there would have made the difference, I just know it.

I know we all are upset, but what a year we had, you can't overlook it just because we lost to a very good WSt team, give the guys and coaches a little credit

Zags11
03-25-2013, 09:21 PM
"Gonzaga is the third No. 1 seed to lose in the round of 32 in the last 4 years (2010 Kansas, 2011 Pittsburgh)"............from these tweeters....quoting ESPN article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1579342-gonzaga-basketball-what-bulldogs-must-do-in-2014-to-redeem-tournament-failure#/articles/1579199-twitter-reacts-as-wichita-state-knocks-no-1-seed-gonzaga-out-of-tournament

It's not just us. Nor were the other teams losing in the round of32 members of the WCC. It just happens.......Bring Kelly back..and we'll be a no 1-5 again. No matter what BCS lovers say.

SOMEBODY FIX "BALANCED" in the title!!!! lol

#1s do get upset. AP #1s dont. Gonzags is just the 4th AP #1 since 1985 to lose in rd of 32.

MDABE80
03-25-2013, 09:51 PM
#1s do get upset. AP #1s dont. Gonzags is just the 4th AP #1 since 1985 to lose in rd of 32.

So what's your point 11? What do you hope to achieve with your most recent post here??

Zags11
03-25-2013, 10:14 PM
The truth. Your spinning what you wanna say. Just like all the other "Its ok group". It isnt. #1s do lose....(your correct) AP #1s which (ZAGS WERE) have only lost 4 times in 28 yrs in RD of 32.

Sorry Thats disgusting. Wait, am I anti-Few or anti-zag now?
:starwars:

MDABE80
03-25-2013, 10:44 PM
The truth. Your spinning what you wanna say. Just like all the other "Its ok group". It isnt. #1s do lose....(your correct) AP #1s which (ZAGS WERE) have only lost 4 times in 28 yrs in RD of 32.

Yep seems so. nice going.

caduceus
03-25-2013, 11:48 PM

Twenty-seven of the last 31 AP #1's have lost in the tournament. Twenty #1 seeds have lost before reaching the S16. WHAT IS your point? How does this positively add to the conversation here? You've littered half a dozen threads with Zag and Few criticism like a broken record. Clearly you're so confident in your theories here -- how about you go knock on Coach Few's door with a few of your ideas about 3-point defense. I'm sure you can get us to a Final Four next year by pointing out flaws that Mark surely must not have picked up on. Hey, you can make the winningest active coach in Division I basketball even more winningest-er!

If you want a perennial Final Four/NC team, go find one, please. It's clear that our little school is not suited to your liking. You seem to think it's so easy to win tourney games. It took Krzyzewski 10 seasons before he even won a single game. It took Bob Knight, JT III, Huggins, Howland, Valvano all 8 seasons before they even won one game. Hell, it took Greg McDermott and Pete Newell 11, and Mike Montgomery 17 freaking seasons just for a W.

A true fan's character comes out not in how they handle victories, but how they handle themselves in defeat.

primal23
03-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Twenty-seven of the last 31 AP #1's have lost in the tournament. Twenty #1 seeds have lost before reaching the S16. WHAT IS your point? How does this positively add to the conversation here? You've littered half a dozen threads with Zag and Few criticism like a broken record. Clearly you're so confident in your theories here -- how about you go knock on Coach Few's door with a few of your ideas about 3-point defense. I'm sure you can get us to a Final Four next year by pointing out flaws that Mark surely must not have picked up on. Hey, you can make the winningest active coach in Division I basketball even more winningest-er!

If you want a perennial Final Four/NC team, go find one, please. It's clear that our little school is not suited to your liking. You seem to think it's so easy to win tourney games. It took Krzyzewski 10 seasons before he even won a single game. It took Bob Knight, JT III, Huggins, Howland, Valvano all 8 seasons before they even won one game. Hell, it took Greg McDermott and Pete Newell 11, and Mike Montgomery 17 freaking seasons just for a W.

A true fan's character comes out not in how they handle victories, but how they handle themselves in defeat.

So if you aren't full of praise and say, "Well boy that was a great season!" no matter what, you aren't a fan?

We had a great season, yes.
Did we have a great season when it matters most, no.

Has Few done a great job at GU, hell yes!
Is is frustrating that we can't get even to the SS with a 1 seed, YES!

It's frustrating that if you aren't an apologist on this board, you are not a fan. God forbid someone think they are a GU fan, and have a dissenting view of how the season went or ended.

Course I doubt many will see this, since I probably am on ignore lists galore.:p

Zags11
03-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Talking to a few of you, is like talking to a brick wall. Close minded, stubborn, Anti-any other thought then theres.

I SAID #1S LOSE. AP #1S rarely if ever do in 2nd rd. ZAGS ARE just the 4th AP #1 team since 85 to lose in 2nd rd.

Caud for a number cruncher, a stat freak...you sure leave out alot of numbers that dont match your points well....ahem...your facts.

Bet just as big of a fan as you, if not more. Sorry, your way of dealing with losses is denial, and throwing "YOU ARENT A FAN!".

Grow up

Zags11
03-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Yep seems so. nice going.

Again, I just want facts. I dont care for half facts,etc

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2013, 11:48 AM
We're lucky to have Mark Few.

Id.

maynard g krebs
03-26-2013, 12:09 PM

Here are some.

1)The 3 pt shot is overvalued in college basketball
2)A mediocre shooting team made 7 in a row
3)GU's best perimeter defender was out. He has also been GU's best 3pt shooter the last month, and over his career. His absence seriously hurt GU's ability to spread the floor, even though he didn't score.

On the critical side, the team did seem to play tight (that falls under the opinion category though, so I probably shouldn't mention it in a "facts" post) as suggested by numerous missed bunnies, and the fact that KO and KP took twice the usual number of shots and everybody else collectively took half of the usual number of attempts.

I think the spotlight, 1 ranking, seed, controversy took a toll on the collective psyche, and my one criticism of Few is that he lacks the personality to keep them loose.

But in the end, the only thing that makes for justified criticism is lack of effort. Rebounding is a key indicator here, and the rebound numbers against a big, athletic, physical team show the team played as hard as they could. And that's really all you can ask.

Hoopaholic
03-26-2013, 12:12 PM
spot on.....and I might add the first time EVER that the program was not only the nationwide HUNTED by was being HUNTED with a HUGE spotlight and no matter how you slice that piece of bread it is a tough one to deal with for your first go round.......

MDABE80
03-26-2013, 12:15 PM

I and Caduceus have given you the facts for days but you persist in talking out of your a**! I 'd like to know why! We've been gone from the tournament for days.. You saw it. BUT you continue be a snark. Enough already. Few's a hugely successful coach. So is the program. If you don't like us or the program, you have a choice. BUT stop with the nonsense! PLEASE!

Zags11
03-26-2013, 12:36 PM
I and Caduceus have given you the facts for days but you persist in talking out of your a**! I 'd like to know why! We've been gone from the tournament for days.. You saw it. BUT you continue be a snark. Enough already. Few's a hugely successful coach. So is the program. If you don't like us or the program, you have a choice. BUT stop with the nonsense! PLEASE!

Wow, I was gonna agree with Bell out. I was going to say yea thanks for those facts.
Here Abe-
FACTS-
1. Zags only 4th AP #1 in last 28 years to lose 2nd RD. 1 every 7 yrs isnt normal.
2. Few's 3point defense strategy is garbage. In all of march madness, teams shoot 32% from 3.
3. Fews 3pt defense in Tournament losses is 48%.
4. Fews tournament 3pt defense in wins is 38%.
5. Fews 3pt defense win or lose is worse then the average.
6. Few is great guy an great for this community, but isnt beyond critique.
7. Caud asked for top coaches, I gave it to him.
8. Few in march for winning 80% of his games is worse then most in march madness for top coaches.

Those are facts. You TWO choose your facts and either A) Dont Know or b)Know and think others wont look it up, and if do call them ANTI-FEW or ANTI-Zags.

So, continue with your BS of me. Guess what? I reply in these threads. Stuck up for DS, Stuck up for Few in Butler loss. I praise Few through the yrs on here.

I see same old people say Few won 80%, Your non fan,etc in every thread.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 12:37 PM
spot on.....and I might add the first time EVER that the program was not only the nationwide HUNTED by was being HUNTED with a HUGE spotlight and no matter how you slice that piece of bread it is a tough one to deal with for your first go round.......

Yes that is tough too. I agree.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I want Few to win multiple titles here. If not, then oh well thats life.

Love few as coach an great guy. He isnt beyond neg talk if producing factual evidence.

MDABE80
03-26-2013, 12:50 PM
11...give some links to us. I'd like to verify your facts. That said though why continue to pound the Coach and the team? Seriously...what's in it for you to continue as if we don't know shortcomings? I do. Been close or in the program for over 40 years.

So why the incessant pounding?? DO you seriously think your words will somehow make the Zags no1 ? Win a title? Uh huh.......neither has happened and won't this year either. Some things are self evident...like this year is over. So what's the story?? Oh and those facts do need some links.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Abe, look at other threads I posted in. Go to Kenpom.com. Look at other threads that posted win 3pt % or losses 3pt %.

Its basketball forum.

Pointless to argue. Both bummed we lost. Agree to disagree

caduceus
03-26-2013, 01:56 PM
So if you aren't full of praise and say, "Well boy that was a great season!" no matter what, you aren't a fan?

We had a great season, yes.
Did we have a great season when it matters most, no.

Has Few done a great job at GU, hell yes!
Is is frustrating that we can't get even to the SS with a 1 seed, YES!

It's frustrating that if you aren't an apologist on this board, you are not a fan. God forbid someone think they are a GU fan, and have a dissenting view of how the season went or ended.

Course I doubt many will see this, since I probably am on ignore lists galore.:p

Primal, I didn't say that if you weren't full of praise that you weren't a fan. I never once called out anyone not being a fan. I talked about character. In fact I agree with everything else you've posted above. I think we are all frustrated in some way over how the season ended, myself included. What I take issue with is the littering of most of the active threads repeatedly with the snippy, juvenile, unsubstantiated critical comments about the program and coaching.

It's easy for some armchair quarterbacks to throw stones, particularly in an anonymous bulletin board. I'm pretty sure that our guys and coaching staff wanted to win as much or more than any fan of the team. I don't doubt that every single player left everything they had on that court. I think it's bogus that anyone says we "played not to lose" because what the hell does that mean? That's a made up argument in the media that can't be measured in any way whatsoever. Unless they've got a means to read minds, anyone who says someone didn't want it enough or didn't give it their all is pulling that argument straight out of their behind.

People throwing around numbers about our 3-point shooting in wins and losses this season or the tournaments doesn't tell you very much. Small sample sizes make it essentially statistically insignificant, and doesn't account for a zillion other variables. It's like saying, "I checked the numbers, and wow, the other team scored more points than we did in every single one of our losses - 100%!" I guarantee you that if you look at our 2-point shooting defense, you'll find some interesting surprises.

I understand the frustration. I wanted to see a final four just as much as the next fan. But the sense of entitlement among some who expect Gonzaga to perform year-in-and-out like the blue blood teams with top recruits, enormous budgets, advantages in scheduling, and all-to-often shady practices makes my head spin.

It's bad enough that we have to deal with the ridiculous arguments coming from the media. Even worse when we are eating our own.

cjm720
03-26-2013, 02:03 PM

Sorry that's disgusting? Yea, being ranked #1 is shameful. Find another team.

cjm720
03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Here are some.

1)The 3 pt shot is overvalued in college basketball
2)A mediocre shooting team made 7 in a row
3)GU's best perimeter defender was out. He has also been GU's best 3pt shooter the last month, and over his career. His absence seriously hurt GU's ability to spread the floor, even though he didn't score.

On the critical side, the team did seem to play tight (that falls under the opinion category though, so I probably shouldn't mention it in a "facts" post) as suggested by numerous missed bunnies, and the fact that KO and KP took twice the usual number of shots and everybody else collectively took half of the usual number of attempts.

I think the spotlight, 1 ranking, seed, controversy took a toll on the collective psyche, and my one criticism of Few is that he lacks the personality to keep them loose.

But in the end, the only thing that makes for justified criticism is lack of effort. Rebounding is a key indicator here, and the rebound numbers against a big, athletic, physical team show the team played as hard as they could. And that's really all you can ask.

Agree with everything here Maynard except your number 1 point, which I bolded for emphasis. Did you mean to say "undervalued"? The 3 point is the great equalizer in college hoops today and is a big reason why there's parity in the game today.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Sorry that's disgusting? Yea, being ranked #1 is shameful. Find another team.

Disgusted we lost in 2nd rd? Yes. Its disgusting. Proud of what we all witnessed through the year? Yes Proud.

Find another team...LOL the internet boards sure show the mental capacity of some.

Zag79
03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Primal, I didn't say that if you weren't full of praise that you weren't a fan. I never once called out anyone not being a fan. I talked about character. In fact I agree with everything else you've posted above. I think we are all frustrated in some way over how the season ended, myself included. What I take issue with is the littering of most of the active threads repeatedly with the snippy, juvenile, unsubstantiated critical comments about the program and coaching.

It's easy for some armchair quarterbacks to throw stones, particularly in an anonymous bulletin board. I'm pretty sure that our guys and coaching staff wanted to win as much or more than any fan of the team. I don't doubt that every single player left everything they had on that court. I think it's bogus that anyone says we "played not to lose" because what the hell does that mean? That's a made up argument in the media that can't be measured in any way whatsoever. Unless they've got a means to read minds, anyone who says someone didn't want it enough or didn't give it their all is pulling that argument straight out of their behind.

People throwing around numbers about our 3-point shooting in wins and losses this season or the tournaments doesn't tell you very much. Small sample sizes make it essentially statistically insignificant, and doesn't account for a zillion other variables. It's like saying, "I checked the numbers, and wow, the other team scored more points than we did in every single one of our losses - 100%!" I guarantee you that if you look at our 2-point shooting defense, you'll find some interesting surprises.

I understand the frustration. I wanted to see a final four just as much as the next fan. But the sense of entitlement among some who expect Gonzaga to perform year-in-and-out like the blue blood teams with top recruits, enormous budgets, advantages in scheduling, and all-to-often shady practices makes my head spin.

It's bad enough that we have to deal with the ridiculous arguments coming from the media. Even worse when we are eating our own.

Slowing it up, being overly conservative, not attacking as you were, running clock too early with the lead... All real examples of "playing not to lose". It's a very legit term, and you can physically see when teams are playing not lose. Happens all the time, in every sport.

As for the three point numbers, small or not they're too consistent to be denied. I once said it seems as if every loss we endure is at the hands of one player going off, or a team lighting it up from three. I was challenged on that by a couple posters who act as if our coaching staff could never be at fault, but after much research I was right.

Hell, I could have told you the only way Wichita St beats us is if we let them go off from three. It happened. Small samples or not, consistently coming up short in the round of 32 and doing so in the same manner has become all too common for us. The reason is obvious, regardless of sample size.

I agree that beating a dead horse, the fire Few comments, or blaming players is uncalled for. But discussing why we lost and what we could do differently is all part of a hoops message board. Not to mention many of the people who question the game plan and repeated failures ARE in fact basketball players and x's and o's enthusiasts themselves.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Small sample? In our losses its 48% from 3, and in our wins in march its 38%. KenPom posted that 32% is average for a team in march from 3. Too me, an too alot, its more then bad luck or small samples.

Caud, I will agree that our 2 point difference is good, and if we didnt stuff the lane and guarded the 3 more...our 2pt fg defense % would suffer.
Most people on here should be able to talk pro or con on hoops without snide remarks on being a non fan, or anti-whoever, juvenile,etc.

Im sure most woul get mad if they were called nut huggers, mindless losers, follow the crowd bums,etc.

Keep name calling,etc to a minimal. Make hoop talk easier.

cjm720
03-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Disgusted we lost in 2nd rd? Yes. Its disgusting. Proud of what we all witnessed through the year? Yes Proud.

Find another team...LOL the internet boards sure show the mental capacity of some.

I feel sorry for you if you think our performance was disgusting. No credit to the other team, parity in basketball, bells injury, target on the back, etc. Seemingly to you it's win, all or nothing.

MDABE80
03-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Disgusting means YOU are disgusted. YOU might think of lessening the burden on yourself. Those were close, highly contested games. We won one and lost one. Tough games. As I said before, what are you trying to prove 11? That you're disgusted by the tourney outcome>??? I think we know. Youv'e been whining for days now in multiple posts and threads. When do you think you might heal from the traumatic event that happens frequently to us?????

Get better .

Birddog
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Ain't that the truth.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Disgusting means YOU are disgusted. YOU might think of lessening the burden on yourself. Those were close, highly contested games. We won one and lost one. Tough games. As I said before, what are you trying to prove 11? That you're disgusted by the tourney outcome>??? I think we know. Youv'e been whining for days now in multiple posts and threads. When do you think you might heal from the traumatic event that happens frequently to us?????

Get better .

Take your heart pill. Dont want u to keel over from too much excitement.

Disgusted we lost. Get a grip. Nada that few or gu disgusts me.

primal23
03-26-2013, 03:20 PM

Fair enough! Peace!

Zags11
03-26-2013, 03:22 PM
I feel sorry for you if you think our performance was disgusting. No credit to the other team, parity in basketball, bells injury, target on the back, etc. Seemingly to you it's win, all or nothing.

Did i say performance or us losing? There is a difference. Grow a set. You guys keep being snotty lil girls, i will retort that way.

caduceus
03-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Small sample? In our losses its 48% from 3, and in our wins in march its 38%. KenPom posted that 32% is average for a team in march from 3. Too me, an too alot, its more then bad luck or small samples.

Do you know what a sample size is and how it relates to statistical significance? The degree of difference you state has little to do with it. In fact, a smaller sample size likely would make the difference bigger, and makes it more likely to be related to chance. Best not to throw out KenPom if you don't understand the numbers.

"Too me, an too alot" ... "Anti-any other thought then theres." Now I'm beginning to understand. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon3.gif I'll dispense with the dysphemistic epithets now that I have a clearer picture.

Caud, I will agree...
Who??

Mantua
03-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Do you know what a sample size is and how it relates to statistical significance? The degree of difference you state has little to do with it. In fact, a smaller sample size likely would make the difference bigger, and makes it more likely to be related to chance. Best not to throw out KenPom if you don't understand the numbers.

Now I'm beginning to understand. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon3.gif I'll dispense with the dysphemistic epithets now that I have a clearer picture.

Who??

Oh Cod!

Zags11
03-26-2013, 03:51 PM

Now I'm beginning to understand. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon3.gif I'll dispense with the dysphemistic epithets now that I have a clearer picture.

Who??

To me, and to others. Good one, my bad on grammer. COD, CAD, CRAP.....CUAD,ETC. Grow up

Zags11
03-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Who??

I understand 48% to 32% and I UNDERSTAND even in OUR WINS we allow 6% more then the average. I UNDERSTAND when we lose there is a 16% difference.

You won GRAMMER MAN. YOUR COD AWFUL number crunching did not.

caduceus
03-26-2013, 04:22 PM
I understand 48% to 32% and I UNDERSTAND even in OUR WINS we allow 6% more then the average. I UNDERSTAND when we lose there is a 16% difference.

You won GRAMMER MAN. YOUR COD AWFUL number crunching did not.

than

grammar

This is Grammer:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjEyNjkxODM5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTU3NDE1Mg@@._ V1._SY314_CR8,0,214,314_.jpg

I'm done playing ELI5.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Lol damn it. I know how to spell grammar.

maynard g krebs
03-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Agree with everything here Maynard except your number 1 point, which I bolded for emphasis. Did you mean to say "undervalued"? The 3 point is the great equalizer in college hoops today and is a big reason why there's parity in the game today.

No, I meant to say overvalued. The shot isn't that difficult at 20'9", and it is worth 50% more than a 2 point shot. That is more than proportional value. So yes, it is the great equalizer; it allows a lesser team to beat a better team if the lesser team gets hot. And that was exactly my point. Some people are implying there's no way GU should have lost this particular game. I was just trying to point out some of the many factors involved in the game.

It also played a great role in the turn of the century Zags putting the program on the map.

MDABE80
03-26-2013, 05:28 PM
So there nothing to gain. BUT nothing we don't know either.
No gain no prestige and mostly snipply little meaningless "facts"......
All the criteria fill to define a "troll". Perfect.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 05:37 PM
So there nothing to gain. BUT nothing we don't know either.
No gain no prestige and mostly snipply little meaningless "facts"......
All the criteria fill to define a "troll". Perfect.

"Facts=Things that actually are true."

Not opinions like #1s have lost alot, but let's leave out AP #1s lose 1 every 7 yrs.

Abe? Is your last name Simpson? You fit the man perfectly...Abe is known for his long, rambling, and often inaccurate stories and general incompetence. Abe is senile.

I bet your sons name is Cad aka Homer.

Keep it going when I dropped it cuz was pointless. I should follow the show's advice.

"Due to his apparent senility, Abe is often ignored by Homer and other cast members, and is alternatively content with this, resentful of this, or completely unaware of his being ignored."

Zags11
03-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Grouchy, old, unfriendly man you are. STAY OFF MY LAWNS.

Old troll.

cjm720
03-26-2013, 08:44 PM
No, I meant to say overvalued. The shot isn't that difficult at 20'9", and it is worth 50% more than a 2 point shot. That is more than proportional value. So yes, it is the great equalizer; it allows a lesser team to beat a better team if the lesser team gets hot. And that was exactly my point. Some people are implying there's no way GU should have lost this particular game. I was just trying to point out some of the many factors involved in the game.

It also played a great role in the turn of the century Zags putting the program on the map.

Thanks for clarifying and well put, especially in comparison to us when the run was getting going.

TexasZagFan
03-27-2013, 05:14 AM
"Facts=Things that actually are true."

Not opinions like #1s have lost alot, but let's leave out AP #1s lose 1 every 7 yrs.

Abe? Is your last name Simpson? You fit the man perfectly...Abe is known for his long, rambling, and often inaccurate stories and general incompetence. Abe is senile.

I bet your sons name is Cad aka Homer.

Keep it going when I dropped it cuz was pointless. I should follow the show's advice.

"Due to his apparent senility, Abe is often ignored by Homer and other cast members, and is alternatively content with this, resentful of this, or completely unaware of his being ignored."

You're moving up in the poll "Most Likely to Be Ignored". :lmao:

MDABE80
03-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Just a mouthy teenager. no worries. ;)

sullyzag66
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Slowing it up, being overly conservative, not attacking as you were, running clock too early with the lead... All real examples of "playing not to lose". It's a very legit term, and you can physically see when teams are playing not lose. Happens all the time, in every sport.

As for the three point numbers, small or not they're too consistent to be denied. I once said it seems as if every loss we endure is at the hands of one player going off, or a team lighting it up from three. I was challenged on that by a couple posters who act as if our coaching staff could never be at fault, but after much research I was right.

Hell, I could have told you the only way Wichita St beats us is if we let them go off from three. It happened. Small samples or not, consistently coming up short in the round of 32 and doing so in the same manner has become all too common for us. The reason is obvious, regardless of sample size.

I agree that beating a dead horse, the fire Few comments, or blaming players is uncalled for. But discussing why we lost and what we could do differently is all part of a hoops message board. Not to mention many of the people who question the game plan and repeated failures ARE in fact basketball players and x's and o's enthusiasts themselves.
Frank Deford had an interesting commentary on NPR this morning. In part:

Alas, the average team score is well down into the 60s, reminiscent more of the paleolithic pre-jump-shot era. Basketball at its best is an artful game of grace, played with abandon by perhaps the finest, most complete athletes in the world, but the college sport has become too roughhouse. Officials permit defenders to deface the game's beauty blocking, chucking, forearming, grabbing. To update the old Rodney Dangerfield line: I went to a wrestling match and a college basketball game broke out.

And the it's-about-me coaches. It used to be that football coaches were the scowling, conservative types, but college football is now a more appealing, wide-open game. Meanwhile, basketball coaches have clamped down, trading creativity for control. If Woody Hayes came back, he'd surely be a basketball coach, slowing down the tempo, while Johnny Wooden would be run-and-gunning the pistol formation on the gridiron.

So, what a special delight it was this past weekend to see this unknown 15th seed playing at top speed, laughing and loose, unchained by their unknown coach who apparently hadn't heard that big-time coaches are supposed to button it down to prove their genius. The unknown team is Florida Gulf Coast, the unknown coach is Andy Enfield, and nice, stylish uniforms, too.

Zags11
03-27-2013, 04:36 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!!

No, when you get personally insulted over and over talking hoops. Then you retort personally, its same thing. Ignore me when im posting facts. Do what you must.

Abe,

You went off track and got personal. You and Cad, Im able to talk hoops without start throwing personal jabs. I did after saying stop with personal insults.

No, mouthy teenager. Im a 28yr old grown man, who doesnt need to be personally insulted by anyone. Especially on this GUBoard.

Abe,

I was little overboard but you must grow up too.

Zags11
03-27-2013, 04:38 PM

And most agree with what i stated. Through there replies or in Pm's.

Birddog
03-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Maybe we should start a Poll and see how you and some others fare in a popularity contest. I think you're the leader in repetition.

Zags11
03-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Maybe we should start a Poll and see how you and some others fare in a popularity contest. I think you're the leader in repetition.

I dont care about popularity. Are we in high school? You guys still get in groups and huddle and giggle? :mecry:

I come here for hoop talk. Strictly hoop talk and enjoy chatting with the well minded hoop chatters. We can disagree and each say valid points and I wont have a issue. With some of you, its not like that. :explode:

With repitition comes greatness. :D

Say Zags 11 you are wrong with Fews 3pt defense, Provide some intellectual feedback and stats to back that. You guys couldnt cuz win or lose, Few 3pt defense isnt good. So, instead its your a hater, go find new team and your a dick.

Time to grow up.

MDABE80
03-27-2013, 05:37 PM
I dont care about popularity. Are we in high school? You guys still get in groups and huddle and giggle? :mecry:

I come here for hoop talk. Strictly hoop talk and enjoy chatting with the well minded hoop chatters. We can disagree and each say valid points and I wont have a issue. With some of you, its not like that. :explode:

With repitition comes greatness. :D

Say Zags 11 you are wrong with Fews 3pt defense, Provide some intellectual feedback and stats to back that. You guys couldnt cuz win or lose, Few 3pt defense isnt good. So, instead its your a hater, go find new team and your a dick.

Time to grow up.

Time for ths youngster to go to the corner for 1 month. Bad name calling.....shows immaturity. Calling someone a "dick" is about the limit. Kids these days.....

Zags11
03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Time for ths youngster to go to the corner for 1 month. Bad name calling.....shows immaturity. Calling someone a "dick" is about the limit. Kids these days.....

Abe,

I was talking about what i was called. I was called "Anti Zag" & "Dick".

Unless, you just stirring the senile ###.

BobZag
03-27-2013, 06:56 PM
ok, now i see.