PDA

View Full Version : Few mentions "knuckleheads."

Zag 77
03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
I wonder if Few is finally starting to look at blogs and twitter comments. On the Mark Few Show Monday at noon (repeated at 5:00 on KGA 1510) he mentioned talking to the players about getting away from basketball for a bit. He also said he would keep a closer eye that usual on his players in the next several days. Reason being comments from "knuckleheads" that are out of line (as opposed to people whose opinions he respects).

jazzdelmar
03-25-2013, 01:42 PM
I wonder if Few is finally starting to look at blogs and twitter comments. On the Mark Few Show Monday at noon (repeated at 5:00 on KGA 1510) he mentioned talking to the players about getting away from basketball for a bit. He also said he would keep a closer eye that usual on his players in the next several days. Reason being comments from "knuckleheads" that are out of line (as opposed to people whose opinions he respects).

big surprise. does he mean seth greenberg who said he was outcoached in the wsu game?

BobZag
03-25-2013, 01:47 PM
You ever read some of the junk people post on Twitter, or on blogs? Knuckleheads is putting it mildly.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2013, 01:48 PM
You ever read some of the junk people post on Twitter, or on blogs? Knuckleheads is putting it mildly.

fair enough, Beezer.....i defer to your wisdom.....

gamagin
03-25-2013, 01:50 PM
big surprise. does he mean seth greenberg who said he was outcoached in the wsu game?

that is just out of line. It only gets worse when guys like you seem energized to pile on. If it's any consolation, you are not alone.

But, to this latest cheap shot, a story involving the coach's concern about how our Zags are taking things -- and likely g etting roundly criticized -- after a big loss, is yet another opportunity to kick him in the nuts ?

w.t.f. are you thinking ?

disgusting.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2013, 01:52 PM
that is just out of line. It only gets worse when guys like you seem energized to pile on. If it's any consolation, you are not alone.

But, to this latest cheap shot, a story involving the coach's concern about how our Zags are taking things -- and likely g etting roundly criticized -- after a big loss, is yet another opportunity to kick him in the nuts ?

w.t.f. are you thinking ?

disgusting.

$1,500.000.00 plus a year. comes with the job.

and FWIW, i have not criticized a single Zag player after the loss. not stocks, not harris, not a one.

vandalzag
03-25-2013, 01:59 PM
$1,500.000.00 plus a year. comes with the job.

and FWIW, i have not criticized a single Zag player after the loss.

You act like you are writing the check. And sorry but you have criticized both Stockton (your pet nickname), Bell, and KD... only ones that I can recall. At least have the sack to stand up to your comments. Irony is that you have no problem pointing out the shortcomings in others, but when people call your own garbage you get your panties in a twist.

Vanzagger
03-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Most athletes step away after the grind

Knuckle heads....go get'em coach. Show them the fire

jazzdelmar
03-25-2013, 02:01 PM
You act like you are writing the check. And sorry but you have criticized both Stockton (your pet nickname), Bell, and KD... only ones that I can recall. At least have the sack to stand up to your comments. Irony is that you have no problem pointing out the shortcomings in others, but when people call your own garbage you get your panties in a twist.

figured you would come out from under your rock. i have criticized every player at some point. i am talking about w respect to the wretched loss to wich st. KD and Bell played too little to make any comment. i think the world of DS as a kid and feel terrible for the play. you will recall i led the board shoring him up after the Butler boo-boo. my pet nickname for him is reflective of Few's POV, not DS, a great kid.

now go back under your rock.

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 02:03 PM
I am glad Few is recognizing what the increased media coverage, the increased expectations and the highest point on top has people trying to take you down from being King of the Hill.

but even after the dethroning, the power school biased media and fair weather fans who feel vindicated will say "I told you so" even louder and more forceful.

Our program made huge improvements beyond what anyone expected including those same pundits. Few and Co handles the slow gradual rise to #1 with care and sympathy as a father would and recruiting still will still improve.

32-3.......

We had our best season ever and that will be clear and attractive to any athletes and parents. Especially when kids will want to be the ones to push us into final fours.

Honest people will see how successful Gonzaga really is. Those who talk just to be heard will talk about something else by next week, just to be heard.

hooter73
03-25-2013, 02:05 PM
nm

jazzdelmar
03-25-2013, 02:06 PM
nm

good idea, hoot

gamagin
03-25-2013, 02:23 PM
does not give you, or anyone, unlimited rights to say stupid, hurtful, wrong, crap, as far as I can tell. It's not about money.

What pleasure it gives some guy sitting on his fat a$$ to throw molotov cocktails into the burning building, is what this is about. And my getting up off my fat a$$ to challenge it.

It is hardly lending enlightenment to the OP which was about the protection & concern of the Zag players by the Zags coach, to tear into the coach after he expresses a valid concern totally unrelated to his income.

My mistake was thinking you understand the difference between what is fundamentally right and wrong here. I apologize for that.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2013, 02:25 PM
does not give you, or anyone, unlimited rights to say stupid, hurtful, wrong, crap, as far as I can tell. It's not about money.

What pleasure it gives some guy sitting on his fat a$$ to throw molotov cocktails into the burning building, is what this is about. And my getting up off my fat a$$ to challenge it.

It is hardly lending enlightenment to the OP which was about the protection & concern of the Zag players by the Zags coach, to tear into the coach after he expresses a valid concern totally unrelated to his income.

My mistake was thinking you understand the difference between what is fundamentally right and wrong here. I apologize for that.

apology accepted. sorry about your fat a$$. :)

ps: why would anyone throw Molotov cocktails INTO a burning building?

CDC84
03-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Some of the media criticism that the Zags have endured the last couple of weeks has been out of control and severely lacking in professionalism. A couple of these guys like Myron Medcalf just hate the program. They have taken a level of criticism that no program should have to endure at their level. Their AP #1 ranking and number one seed was treated by some folks as if it was a black mark on college basketball.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Some of the media criticism that the Zags have endured the last couple of weeks has been out of control and severely lacking in professionalism. A couple of these guys like Myron Medcalf just hate the program. They have taken a level of criticism that no program should have to endure at their level. Their AP #1 ranking and number one seed was treated by some folks as if it was a black mark on college basketball.

absolutely agree, C, and his column today continues the barrage. i was very vocal about all that in the run up to the NCAA. and i dont believe the Zags deserve that level of vitriol even now, despite the quick & disappointing exit. Gottlieb was the poster boy, IMO.

realtydog
03-25-2013, 02:36 PM
I believe Coach Few has kept out little program relevant for well over a decade now--and I support him and his staff 100%-----but if others want to be critical about his coaching or his players---as long as it's not personal---you have my support--

life is not all about roses and bunnies---

Zageist
03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
surprised he didn't mention "cotton headed ninnypickens."

gamagin
03-25-2013, 02:38 PM

re that second question. A. EXACTLY. So WHY would you . . . ?

former1dog
I believe Coach Few has kept out little program relavent for well over a decade now--and I support him and his staff 100%-----but if others want to be critical about his coaching or his players---as long as it's not personal---you have my support--

+1

Fair, non personal criticism is A-OK in my book.

deathchina
I think people just resent the amount of attention and accolades we get...They think it disproportionate to the amount of "real" success we have (and to these people going undefeated in the WCC every year would mean almost nothing)....They all get to step on us now that we lost and have been "proven" as frauds.

Same people will come out of the woodwork next time our ranking starts to climb. They'll probably never stop with the attacks until we make a F4 or two.

BobZag
03-25-2013, 02:39 PM

bunnies or missed bunnies? ;)

former1dog
03-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Same people will come out of the woodwork next time our ranking starts to climb. They'll probably never stop with the attacks until we make a F4 or two.

If we're going to get #1 seeds, being criticized for NOT making the Final 4 is somewhat justified. After all, getting a #1 seed is supposed to give a team the easiest path.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 02:41 PM
...Same people will come out of the woodwork next time our ranking starts to climb. They'll probably never stop with the attacks until we make a F4 or two.

That is a fact.

And, it is more people than one might think.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2013, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=gamagin;901110]re that second question. A. EXACTLY. So WHY would you . . . ?[/

Thou hath said it, not I. Happy Easter Gam, lay off the pecan pie.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
If we're going to get #1 seeds, being criticized for NOT making the Final 4 is somewhat justified. After all, getting a #1 seed is supposed to give a team the easiest path.

It's not even the Final Four piece as much as it was an exit by the Zags in the Round of 32. That is what set off the pundits. And that will haunt the Zags for a long time.

BTW---your current home SLC was fricken COLD! But had some great meals.

former1dog
03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
It's not even the Final Four piece as much as it was an exit by the Zags in the Round of 32. That is what set off the pundits. And that will haunt the Zags for a long time.

BTW---your current home SLC was fricken COLD! But had some great meals.

Unseasonably chilly, really. Glad you liked the food.

Where did you eat?

NEC26
03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Gamagin have you ever thought about the fact that your attacks on many board members here is far more vicious and personal than the perceived slights on GU and the coaching staff and players?
Take a step back and look at your own posts. Yes there are some knucklehead posts here and there on this board and maybe some younger or less informed posters but I wonder why you take on such a combative attitude(and this is by no means a rare occurrence).
I also agree with Jazz that any man being paid that kind of money is not above criticism. Not all of it may be fair or even true but it comes with the territory.

zagzilla
03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Actually today life is about the bunnies. If we hadn't missed so damned many, we'd be in the sweet 16.

The rest of the stuff in this thread is keyboard agro.

ZZ

maynard g krebs
03-25-2013, 02:52 PM

To make it burn faster?

vandalzag
03-25-2013, 02:53 PM
figured you would come out from under your rock. i have criticized every player at some point. i am talking about w respect to the wretched loss to wich st. KD and Bell played too little to make any comment. i think the world of DS as a kid and feel terrible for the play. you will recall i led the board shoring him up after the Butler boo-boo. my pet nickname for him is reflective of Few's POV, not DS, a great kid.

now go back under your rock.

Sorry Jazz your response to me and Gamagin proves my point, as soon as somebody calls you out on your crap you get all whiny and defensive.
So you when you are saying KD will not pan out and Bell is a disappointment based on his High School hype the day following a loss is not related to the loss, even you are not the delusional(I hope but I fear you have that off). Being critical is one thing, taking shots at kids while hiding behind a username on the internet is cowardice.
You say the Zags do not deserve the level of vitriol but you will call out kid as not being good enough and suggest he go elsewhere. All of this is not new, the troubling part is the joy you appear to take in such actions.

gamagin
03-25-2013, 02:55 PM
To make it burn faster?

+1

CDC84
03-25-2013, 02:59 PM
I also think that some of these people put way, way too much importance on the NCAA Tournament, and I question how many of them are really fans of the game itself. Yes, the tournament is very important, but winning 11 straight conference titles means a great deal to me as a fan. Going 32-18 against BCS teams since 2007 with 41 of the games taking place on road or neutral floors means a great deal to me as fan. Maybe I value these things more because Gonzaga isn't a blue blood program.

I know the argument is made in sports that you are ultimately judged by what you do in the postseason, but is that totally fair when it comes to a college team playing in a sudden death basketball tournament? In most other sports (example: NBA) you are allowed the freedom to lose a game or two as a part of a series. In this thing, you win or you go home after a 30 game regular season. The problem with the tournament is while I feel the ultimate champion is generally college basketball's best and most talented team, the countless games that take place leading up to that point really don't prove a great deal about who the best teams are.

Not trying to create excuses for this year's team. The tournament is important, and they severely underachieved given their seed and draw. Few and Co. need to re-examine some things as they move ahead, although they continue to be on the right path.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-25-2013, 03:26 PM
I am glad Few is recognizing what the increased media coverage, the increased expectations and the highest point on top has people trying to take you down from being King of the Hill.

but even after the dethroning, the power school biased media and fair weather fans who feel vindicated will say "I told you so" even louder and more forceful.

Our program made huge improvements beyond what anyone expected including those same pundits. Few and Co handles the slow gradual rise to #1 with care and sympathy as a father would and recruiting still will still improve.

32-3.......

We had our best season ever and that will be clear and attractive to any athletes and parents. Especially when kids will want to be the ones to push us into final fours.

Honest people will see how successful Gonzaga really is. Those who talk just to be heard will talk about something else by next week, just to be heard.

Recruiting will improve? Just keep telling yourself that.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-25-2013, 03:29 PM
I also think that some of these people put way, way too much importance on the NCAA Tournament, and I question how many of them are really fans of the game itself. Yes, the tournament is very important, but winning 11 straight conference titles means a great deal to me as a fan. Going 32-18 against BCS teams since 2007 with 41 of the games taking place on road or neutral floors means a great deal to me as fan.

So in other words, we play well in December and not in March. It's become an obvious theme. The WCC schedule makes us worse while other teams improve. We may have been #1 in Dec/early January, but we fall in the round of 32 EVERY YEAR.

MDABE80
03-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Metcale did it again this morning. What's going on is that some of these influential writers are make GU's ranking and seeding an institution of sorts.........so THIS MUST NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!...like some Nazis pretending to protest the game. GU's easy to pick on since we cannot defend ourselves and have only small influences. Serious, I do notice Georgetown got no notice when they got mugged by a no 16.
It's a bit curious as why GU's being singled out since a no 1 seed doesn't get past the round of 32 in 2/3 rds of the years.

Being singled out is one thing but these jeroffs have taken a very malignant tone.....
It's getting worse . I though tit would just go away..... Not sure what's going on but if I were Few, I'd be on the phone to a few of his media friends and find out before GU's name is mud for an awful long time. Worse...these guys quote each other so they can stay in the club they have.
Unwarranted and unjustified............
As an aside, I haven't seen Jazz maligning much this year. Not the coach and not the players. Ease up friends. In prior years yes.....but sure not this year just concluded.

U Zig, I Zag
03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
I am not so sure that our recruiting will improve as in 'and today Gonzaga landed 5-star player so and so' but I think our ability to get more out of the kids we got, to land that golden Euro kid now and again, to bring on some talent from the JUCO arena will continue to improve.

Love Hart. Love that Stockton has some swagger. But I can't help think what we would have been like Coleman would have been available or Kyle would have been more ready.

Next year, with or w/o KO looks good. But I will say this: we are sunk unless two things happen:

Dower needs to turn a corner, get harder, meaner, tougher - take the reigns as a senior.

Pangos needs to take over leadership of this team on the floor (both sides) and from the bench when he is sitting. Pargo became a good leader (it seemed to me). I think Pangos has a better Bball IQ and would make an even better in-game coach.

Regarding the OP. The world is full of knuckleheads. No matter what though, the guys are still local heroes and the lost sucks awfully bad, but it wasn't the end of the world. Keep at it and we'll be back in the tourney again.

I am good with any seed other than a 1 or a 16.

MJ777
03-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I listened to Scott Van Pelt and Resillo today on ESPN radio and they did not hammer the Zags. They even mentioned what seeds they had been beaten by in recent tourneys (1, 3, 2, etc.) and they emphasized WSU hitting so many straight 3s down the stretch to get the win.

Now Georgetown they hammered. GT has lost five straight years to double digit seeds. I think JTIII's father has done the radio broadcasts each year too. I am pretty sure I heard him last year and I heard him this year. That must have been awkward.

gamagin
03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Gamagin have you ever thought about the fact that your attacks on many board members here is far more vicious and personal than the perceived slights on GU and the coaching staff and players.

I believe a penchant for passing off opinions as facts is what leads to, is the very essence of, much of the alleged attacks on this board.

Bocco
03-25-2013, 04:11 PM
I believe a penchant for passing off opinions as facts is what leads to, is the very essence of, much of the alleged attacks on this board.

+1

Gam - it is very tough to have a ration discussion with those who have repeated their personal irrational fantasies and delusions so many times that in their own minds they are facts.

BTW - to those who take this comment personally, you can assume what I have said was probably all about you.

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Recruiting will improve? Just keep telling yourself that.

So you think our 32-3 record, Kelly being most improved player and NBA draft lock, going 18-0 in WCC, means nothing when kids choose a program? I am not going to even mention the #1 ranking that will be on the final AP pol for ever and our #1 seed in the tournament.

Do you think no one will remember we lost our top defender and starting guard to injury in the first half? Do you think reasonable people will not see that WSU hit 14 threes?

Yes, losing in the round of 32 is taking a step back from our gains, but IMO our program and reputation took 2 steps forward this year. We improved, our coach improved, and therefore I believe our recruiting will improve this year and especially after next year with Pango, Bell Coleman and Karnowski leading us to new heights again.

Plus after the sweet 16 is done and another 1 seed goes away, all those talking heads will turn to another sad sack to kick while they are down.

In 4-5 days Gonzaga will be out of the immediate conversation and on the next 1 seed to go down.

matty1090
03-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Gamagin have you ever thought about the fact that your attacks on many board members here is far more vicious and personal than the perceived slights on GU and the coaching staff and players?
Take a step back and look at your own posts. Yes there are some knucklehead posts here and there on this board and maybe some younger or less informed posters but I wonder why you take on such a combative attitude(and this is by no means a rare occurrence).
I also agree with Jazz that any man being paid that kind of money is not above criticism. Not all of it may be fair or even true but it comes with the territory.

That's because he has placed Mark Few on a pedestal. Thou darest not criticize the sacred words of Pope Few. I respect the fact that you go against the grain on some of your posts.

Bocco
03-25-2013, 04:41 PM
That's because he has placed Mark Few on a pedestal. Thou darest not criticize the sacred words of Pope Few. I respect the fact that you go against the grain on some of your posts.
Actually, since I actually know Gamagin and suspect you do not, I can tell you that Gamagin respects what Mark Few had done at Gonzaga, but Mark Few like all of us is not above criticism. I also can with great assure tell you that in no way does he confuse Mark Few with the Pope or think that he is the Pope.

bartruff1
03-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Mark Few is one of the most matter of fact and straight forward people I have ever met and he has skin a foot thick ....he has already moved on....and the kids are on spring break or better. There is nothing more resilient than than a young man with his life in front of him and the wind at his back.

It is some of the people in here that are so desperate to blame someone or something ...to find some kind of excuse...to imagine some sort of magical bullet .... some cause...some explanation.... some solution ...something, anything that will comfort them and give them hope...they need to get over it..

We are not going to change conferences or coaches and no one can defend the three...no one... 32-3...

bartruff1
03-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Mark Few had a much better year than the Pope.

BobZag
03-25-2013, 05:09 PM
This isn't my type of thread but did any of y'all see the in-game graphic showing what previous #1 ranked teams did in the dance? One was Kansas a few years back. Round of 32. Gottlieb went silent. I found that odd since he has something to say about everything. Nope, just silence.

Anyway, carry on. Try to be civil.

DixieZag
03-25-2013, 05:40 PM
So you think our 32-3 record, Kelly being most improved player and NBA draft lock, going 18-0 in WCC, means nothing when kids choose a program? I am not going to even mention the #1 ranking that will be on the final AP pol for ever and our #1 seed in the tournament.

Do you think no one will remember we lost our top defender and starting guard to injury in the first half? Do you think reasonable people will not see that WSU hit 14 threes?

Yes, losing in the round of 32 is taking a step back from our gains, but IMO our program and reputation took 2 steps forward this year. We improved, our coach improved, and therefore I believe our recruiting will improve this year and especially after next year with Pango, Bell Coleman and Karnowski leading us to new heights again.

Plus after the sweet 16 is done and another 1 seed goes away, all those talking heads will turn to another sad sack to kick while they are down.

In 4-5 days Gonzaga will be out of the immediate conversation and on the next 1 seed to go down.

This is probably your best post, at least in a long time.
Edit to Add: Yes, we will be out of the immediate discussion, but the "Zags are overrated/choker" meme will play out over the years until we "play it out." That is ok too, everything is always in flux.

NEC26
03-25-2013, 05:57 PM
I just think a message board is for differing opinions some may not be well thought out and some may be wrong but over the years I have noticed that Gamagin likes to go off and attack board members in a far more personal way than most will criticize Few or the players. I am not saying I agree with Jazz or anyone else I just think you go over the top in your attacks on others here and wondered if perhaps you might see the hypocrisy in that.

jimmy b
03-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Mark Few is one of the most matter of fact and straight forward people I have ever met and he has skin a foot thick ....he has already moved on...

May I dare to suggest that the tourney holds a different level of importance to different people....some have "already moved on" and consider the season a great success, while for others an early exit makes the season a failure. Obviously, only one team ends the year on a positive note (ignoring NIT, CBI...).

For me, I haven't already moved on...I'm bitter..after spending nearly 20 years with the zags as my main hobby and feeling this was the year, I'm sick....my family is bummed (we were anticipating being at games in LA this weekend).

Not to say that life doesn't go on, or to critique the 5 months where the kids had more fun than any team in the country (I'm paraphrasing Few), but from my perspective gauging success isn't mostly about the season, it is very much about the tourney too. Maybe that is warped, or unfortunate, but I think that is how it is, and in my view, I'd much rather have Butler's back to back NCAA title games than a decade of WCC dominance. Not even close.

I view the regular season as a body of work similar to work in a classroom. The zags aced everything all year long but I think in many peoples view choked the final exam calling into question all the good scores, ranking and seeding

gonwick
03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
I would suggest that there is something to learn from the season. I dont understand why some people think there isn't. I'm sure every other mid major who will be denied a one seed and dropped in seed lines would appreciate it if gu and few would try not to do this again. It's good for few's peace of mind that it doesn't phase him, apparently, although it is not good for the program.

gonwick
03-25-2013, 06:12 PM
As for recruiting, i fear the number one ranking and seed were two steps forward and two steps back. Even prior to the tourney it was a constant media wail about how gu didn't deserve it. Once gu proved it didn't, that number one will sit there in the offseason as a reminder of how gu has become a national punchline for bcs schools. It's not just the recruits, it is their friends. Gary talked about how his friends questioned his decision. I don't think the number one ranking means anything now that gu is home with the rest of the country watching the media harp on the lunacy of giving them a one seed (deserved or not).

FGZagDad
03-25-2013, 06:27 PM
I agree with some of whats been stated here. Few makes good money and for anyone in life that does, everyone gets a shot at you, comes with the dough. However, some here are making absolutely crazy comments. Folks have got to get above what happened last weekend and realize that GU has something special. Gonzaga is a great University first, it's students and athletes are outstanding people and they happen to play some pretty good basketball (men and women). Few has remained committed to GU and it's great that he is, those starting the "what if he were gone" thread are delusional crazy. Heartbreaking end to the season, yes. Turn the page and move on....

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 06:34 PM
As for recruiting, i fear the number one ranking and seed were two steps forward and two steps back. Even prior to the tourney it was a constant media wail about how gu didn't deserve it. Once gu proved it didn't, that number one will sit there in the offseason as a reminder of how gu has become a national punchline for bcs schools. It's not just the recruits, it is their friends. Gary talked about how his friends questioned his decision. I don't think the number one ranking means anything now that gu is home with the rest of the country watching the media harp on the lunacy of giving them a one seed (deserved or not).

So all we did this year means nothing to you? Or it means nothing to anyone else? worse yet you are saying it is damaging because it is a reminder of our 2nd round loss?

#1 ranking? Nothing.
#1 seed? Zippo.
32 overall wins? Nada.
Kelly being a 1st round draft pick? Who cares, fluke.
Gonzaga going 18-0 in WCC. Meaningless. Weak conference.

I am not jumping the Zag ship.

gonwick
03-25-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm just saying that it is a wash in my opinion. Positive vibes from the ranking lasted to the round of 32 (actually not that long even). It is a hard argument to swallow that the ranking is not, dare i say it, tainted.

The more zags in the NBA, the better. The sweep of the WCC was great. But I can just imagine the spin bcs coaches will apply to the gu story this year. And i don't think a recruit, when talking to his buddy about az versus gu, whoever vs gu, won't hear something about how this year ended, although it may not sway their decision. They all watch the tourney and espn, the same people few now has to tell the players to ignore because the team and program are getting savaged. It is a bummer, but I suspect it is true.

The whole ko to the NBA storyline is very interesting, but I don't know that it is a huge selling point to new recruits, by the way. Come here after you grow a ton, redshirt, and then you'll be amazing. His story is incredible but more a testament to his own unique history and hard work ethic than it is a selling point for gu.

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm just saying that it is a wash in my opinion.

We agree to disagree. I do not think it is a wash. For me this year proves that we are still improving in every area besides tournament depth. Graduation rate matters too. The overwhelming successes and growth in the program and to individuals will last longer than the one loss. However it reflects on the ability of our staff to inspire and win the most elite and challenging of games there will still be so many more positives when parents and students look at the big picture for real. Those are the kids we want anyway and we will continue to get the elite student athlete that still does not want to go to a football school.

There still are only 30-40 schools that can compete with our proven history and the fact that we do not have a revolving door of coaches, staff and philosophies numbers even less. Gonzaga is a private Jesuit school and is not a school with a competing football team, TV time and 30 thousand other students in a state school atmosphere.

The fact is even if we got to a final four, the 5 star athletes and the McDonalds All Americans will still choose the BCS schools. There still will be even more 1 and doners or "me-first" kids who want the big school limelight no matter how deep we go in March.

Our reputation still grew overall this year despite the mediocre post season success.

kclubfounder
03-25-2013, 07:50 PM
I sure wish the growing number of Zag fanatics didn't include any fools, but that is not a reasonable wish.

GU boards, I'd like to thank you once again for the ignore option.

Zags11
03-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Here is the deal, we have "Dont talk smack or critique." And we have the "Antitalk" group.

You guys say #1 loses every yr. No. AP #1s have lost in Rd of 32 only 4 times since 1985. So not even close.

Mantua
03-25-2013, 11:39 PM
I agree with Coach that the media has been out of line in the sense that that I expect a bunch of successful grownups to behave better towards a nice group of kids who won a lot of games and a small school program that has been incredibly successful despite the odds. My fear is that college basketball is becoming too much of a media driven financial enterprise and is growing away from the game that has made it beloved by a fan base that finds it so much more soulful than the NBA. The game is getting so physical that it's becoming unclear what the rules should be. When Charles Barkley talks about the players being even tougher, does he have the best interest of college players in mind at all? Most college players will have careers in other fields, but what are they learning about the world they are stepping into when they hear the vitriol on the airwaves this year? One of the best things about Gonzaga is that it is a place where a parent can feel good about their child being treated well and somewhat protected from the diminished values and frenzy that characterize some of the blue chip programs. Gonzaga has been a safe and nurturing community that we should all take pride in.
The media should reserve it's "hammering" for pro sports. School programs have different goals and of course programs will struggle with different issues and always have room to improve, but remember the context.

bartruff1
03-26-2013, 04:14 AM
I sure wish the growing number of Zag fanatics didn't include any fools, but that is not a reasonable wish.

GU boards, I'd like to thank you once again for the ignore option.

It is just the penut gallery.

Just like any crowd of fans there are a few loud mouth know it all's that keep shouting for the entire game under the delusion that they know and care more than the coaches and players about how to win the game...

At least in here, you can shut them up and make them sit down by using the ignore feature.

primal23
03-26-2013, 08:45 AM

32-3.......

Yes, did succeed a lot this year, but sadly not when it counted. I would take more losses to actually see past the first weekend, or God forbid playing in April. Seems to be some complacency, or maybe out coaching going on.

CDC84
03-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Speaking of "knuckleheads".....

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24544438&nid=272&s_cid=rss-extlink&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

U Zig, I Zag
03-26-2013, 09:11 AM

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24544438&nid=272&s_cid=rss-extlink&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

What an odd argument. Basically saying that since GU lost early - and BYU can beat the Zags - the WCC is weak and BYU would be better off someplace else where they have a chance to... to... lose other better teams? Not quite sure where he is trying to take the argument.

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2013, 09:13 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to discount some points being made in that article. It's a bit on the wild side, but nonetheless there are some points that have an element of truth, IMO.

There's enough of this kind of talk out there about the WCC and GU's early exit at a national level that the old saw, "where there's smoke there's fire", arguably applies to some extent.

Again, we can circle the wagons against the rest of the basketball world and go into complete denial, but there is some truth to some of the things being said. IMO the Zags (and WCC) will feel some ramifications down the road from the round of 32 failure.

GoZags
03-26-2013, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to discount some points being made in that article. It's a bit on the wild side, but nonetheless there are some points that have an element of truth, IMO.

There's enough of this kind of talk out there about the WCC and GU's early exit at a national level that the old saw, "where there's smoke there's fire", arguably applies to some extent.

Again, we can circle the wagons against the rest of the basketball world and go into complete denial, but there is some truth to some of the things being said. IMO the Zags (and WCC) will feel some ramifications down the road from the round of 32 failure.

Good point. Members of the Pac 10 were leaving in droves after 1 seed Stanford (who occupied the AP #1 spot for much of the season) lost as a 1 seed in the 8/9 game in '04. Same with members of the Big 12 leaving in droves because 1 seed Kansas lost the 8/9 game in '10 to Northern Iowa.

Just think what would have happened if Blake Stepp's runner at the end of the 2nd overtime had fallen in SLC in '03 for the 9 seed Zags against #1 Arizona? How shocking !!!

The fact of the matter is GU lost earlier than we'd hoped (or been slotted to). Certainly not the end of the world (just the end of the season).

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
GoZags, agree, not the end of any world.

But after reflection, I've changed my mind about the WCC. I was absolutely against a move in recent times from the WCC because the Zags dominate it and have an easy path to the Dance every year.

But now, I see merit to a number of arguments out there about the WCC and the ultimate strength of the Zags this year.

Bottom line for me----Are the Zags better off in a stronger conference if there is an option available to move?

Absolutely, 100 %, no doubt.

GoZags
03-26-2013, 10:35 AM
GoZags, agree, not the end of any world.

But after reflection, I've changed my mind about the WCC. I was absolutely against a move in recent times from the WCC because the Zags dominate it and have an easy path to the Dance every year.

But now, I see merit to a number of arguments out there about the WCC and the ultimate strength of the Zags this year.

Bottom line for me----Are the Zags better off in a stronger conference if there is an option available to move?

Absolutely, 100 %, no doubt.

Number of viable options open to Gonzaga? = Zero.

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Number of viable options open to Gonzaga? = Zero.

That's too bad. But, sometimes things change. I hope the powers to be have the vision to seize the moment if it presents itself.