PDA

View Full Version : Support from SVP & Russillo

hegotit!
03-25-2013, 11:48 AM
They opened up talking about the team and stated some good facts on why we are not a fraud. I was fully expecting them just like the others to rip on the Zags. They mentioned in last few years we have always lost to a 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed.

They did say that Georgetown is the fraud losing to double digit seeded teams the last 5 years.

Nice to have a little support from some of the talking heads. They also said they still like Gonzaga.

Go Zags!

FuManShoes
03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Even the KJR Klowns said much the same thing this morning: GU laid an egg in the Dance but that doesn't mean they didn't earn that 1 seed or that they were "frauds." And it's a good reminder that the one-and-done nature of the Dance makes for great drama and the elevation of hot teams into the national consciousness, but is not the be-all, end-all determiner of "greatness."

The trouble is, it's hard to evaluate how good the Zags were since they played so few games against top competition. We'll never know. The team was great at winning games it was "supposed to" and playing tough on the road and on neutral sites, right up until March. But this team never got its shot to take on another of the leading contenders. It sucks. We can say until the cows come home that this was the best GU Team ever but they didn't prove it when they had the chance, or even really get the chance. Can we please have a do-over?

SanDiegoZag
03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/sports/apps/live-updating-mens-ncaa-basketball-bracket/bracket/2013/

Here is an easy to use bracket tracker that dates back to 1985.

Yeah, it looks like Georgetown has made the tournament 5 of the last 6 years. In those 5 years, they have never advanced to the Sweet 16. Their seeding in those 5 tourneys were two #2 seeds, two #3 seeds, and a #6 seed. Each ltime they have lost, they have been bounced by a double digit seed.

Of course, if you go back one year further into the analysis...the Hoyas made it to the Final Four.

Overall, though, a bit of a suggestion that past results don't necessarily influence the tourney committee's seeding assignments the following year. Although, Georgetown does reside in the Big East...or the league formerly known as the Big East.

hegotit!
03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
I was really looking forward as I am sure a lot of other fans for the rematch with Ohio State. Guess I was counting chickens before they hatched!

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 12:24 PM
If that's what they said, those two talking heads are the exceptions.

Zagpower
03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
If that's what they said, those two talking heads are the exceptions.

On my way home from Salt Lake, I heard Mike Lupica say his rec league team will receive a #1 seed before the Zags ever will again.

:horse:

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 12:38 PM
On my way home from Salt Lake, I heard Mike Lupica say his rec league team will receive a #1 seed before the Zags ever will again.

:horse:

The Zags won't sniff a #1 seed for a long time absent a historic performance.

Selection committee not stupid---stove burns once, don't touch it twice.

SanDiegoZag
03-25-2013, 01:01 PM
I was really looking forward as I am sure a lot of other fans for the rematch with Ohio State. Guess I was counting chickens before they hatched!

I made the mistake of buying tickets to Staples Center before the bracket was even announced. I knew I wouldn't want to go if the Zags were knocked out in the first or second round. Now, I am giving the tix to Thursday's game away and will go up for Saturday's game...I guess.

I'm sure it will be Ohio State in a laugher over LaSalle...after Wichita State shoots 18% from 3 on Thursday and loses their next game. Awesome.

GUDan07
03-25-2013, 01:08 PM
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/sports/apps/live-updating-mens-ncaa-basketball-bracket/bracket/2013/

Here is an easy to use bracket tracker that dates back to 1985.

This is awesome. Thanks for posting.

229SintoZag
03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
I made the mistake of buying tickets to Staples Center before the bracket was even announced. I knew I wouldn't want to go if the Zags were knocked out in the first or second round. Now, I am giving the tix to Thursday's game away and will go up for Saturday's game...I guess.

I'm sure it will be Ohio State in a laugher over LaSalle...after Wichita State shoots 18% from 3 on Thursday and loses their next game. Awesome.

Funniest post I've read here in a while.

What's not funny is that this is EXACTLY. WHAT. WILL. HAPPEN.