PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Tubby Smith fired. WOW!

thespywhozaggedme
03-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Pretty ruthless. The AD is from VCU, I guess we know who he wants.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9096499/minnesota-gophers-dismiss-tubby-smith-day-ncaa-tourney-ouster

siliconzag
03-25-2013, 01:09 PM
never fired Don Monson.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
never fired Don Monson.

Or his son Dan. ;)

siliconzag
03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Or his son Dan. ;)

Talked to the women's gymnastics coach this summer at a wedding about Dan. She was both surprised and disappointed when he was fired at UM. She said he had great integrity and passion. He was just starting to recruit the kind of athletes he felt could compete in the Big 10, and that he was a fine colleague and a gentleman. She had nothing but good things to say about him. She also extoled his ability to get kids to believe in themselves. Anyway, Dan Monson is a good guy and so is his old man.

Sili

maynard g krebs
03-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Back in the 80's a friend of mine saw Don M on the street in Eugene around the beginning of Nov and asked, "hey coach, how's the team looking this year". Don said, "so far, we're undefeated".

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Most of us know how lucky we are to have Few and have the consistent philosophy and continuity in our staff. It is the single most important thing in recruiting and proving that a program will do what they say for a kids entire college career. Second of course to winning. Gonzaga has BOTH!!

Gonzaga does not bait and switch anyone, anytime! It is kids who can't or don't live up to their part of the deal. Or at the very least, amicable mutually agreed upon separation. The effort and work takes a long time to reap the rewards. There are no shortcuts.

Hey, maybe Tubby will think about being an assistant at Gonzaga if one of ours bolt. Tubby would fit in better than Howland.

MDABE80
03-25-2013, 03:16 PM
OZAG...Howland was here as a BBall guy...grad asssitant in the 80s.. He knows us pretty well. Solid character Ben is. He done well at every stop......UCLA is a snakepit. Guererro should be fired first. Guerrero is a politician.........Dan's a grat coach.
Not sure who might take that job unless it's a Lakers type guy with some esteem in the community. UCLA is pathetic. Blaming the coach for crazy behavior on the kid's part isn't an adult decision.
IF UCLA had a spine, they'd call a meeting and ask who wants to grow up. Those who hesitate should have their transcipts sent elsewhere. I do know this Bazz is now poison to everyone.he should be. Dan Guererro is a menace to college athletics.

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 04:35 PM
OZAG...Howland was here as a BBall guy...grad asssitant in the 80s.. He knows us pretty well. Solid character Ben is. He done well at every stop......UCLA is a snakepit.

I had forgotten about his tie to Gonzaga in the 80's, but my comments are more light hearted and sarcastic. I don't think Tubby Smith or Ben Howland would be assistants at this point in their careers. Frankly, I am a little surprised Ray G is still an assistant.

I agree Howland (or any coach) shouldn't be blamed for the actions of players. but there is an element where a coach is supposed to know things and like a parent, they should get a feeling when there are problems or visible indicators, aka "failure to monitor".

MDABE, if you like Howland, then I could easily change my opinion of his time at UCLA. I just think more will surface when the bottom falls out like it is at UCLA. If UCLA is an extension of SoCals political and social environment, then the UCLA job is FUBAR'd.

Bocco
03-25-2013, 04:47 PM
I had forgotten about his tie to Gonzaga in the 80's, but my comments are more light hearted and sarcastic. I don't think Tubby Smith or Ben Howland would be assistants at this point in their careers. Frankly, I am a little surprised Ray G is still an assistant.

Well there is one thing about being an assistant most of the barbs and arrows are not aimed at you when the team loses. :)

Hoopaholic
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Barbs and arrows not aimed at assistant on forum boards...but believe me I would imagine there was "great" discussions between the boss and assistant over last few days and over the next couple months

Bocco
03-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Barbs and arrows not aimed at assistant on forum boards...but believe me I would imagine there was "great" discussions between the boss and assistant over last few days and over the next couple months
I'm sure (at least a sincerely hope) you are correct that there will be discussions between the coaches on what happened and what changes need to be implemented to avoid it from happening again.

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Well there is one thing about being an assistant most of the barbs and arrows are not aimed at you when the team loses. :)

I wasn't throwing barbs or being negative about Ray G. I was saying I was surprised he is still an assistant with his Div 1 head coaching experience. I thought he would be an assistant only until a head coaching job popped up. I am very happy with the staff Few has. And our improvements from top to bottom will translate to a final four some day.

BobZag
03-25-2013, 05:12 PM
I see Don Monson about once a week at the local bar & grill. A man of the people, he is. Good guy.

Bocco
03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
I wasn't throwing barbs or being negative about Ray G. I was saying I was surprised he is still an assistant with his Div 1 head coaching experience. I thought he would be an assistant only until a head coaching job popped up. I am very happy with the staff Few has. And our improvements from top to bottom will translate to a final four some day.

didn't mean that at all, your comment was 'I'm a little surprised that Ray G is still an assistant' and my comment in return was (tongue in cheek) was as an assistant you don't take the flack (on message boards, media, etc) when the team looses.

HillBillyZag
03-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Tubby Smith is an honest gentleman, a great role model and an excellent basketball Coach. If one the WCC teams want a man who believe that building young men is part of a coaches job description and desire a man with both the hoops knowledge and character to make their basketball program competitive, it would be the smartest thing some of them could do to hire Coach Smith.

Ekrub
03-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Just a thought here... What if we send mark few to go have an unsuccessful NBA career, and then bring him back to GU? Worked for pitino, cal, etc..

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
didn't mean that at all, your comment was 'I'm a little surprised that Ray G is still an assistant' and my comment in return was (tongue in cheek) was as an assistant you don't take the flack (on message boards, media, etc) when the team looses.

Sorry, just a little sensitive lately. Not sure why.....;)

Assistants like Ray G. are protected from blame. Ray is safe no matter what, even after dragging our staff into losing a million+ to a suicidal ponzi scheming AAU booster scam artist.

And some want to change out Mark Few after he goes 32-3, #1 ranking and a 2nd round loss? Fickle fans to say the least, and I am pretty fickle myself in many ways.

siliconzag
03-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Tubby Smith is an honest gentleman, a great role model and an excellent basketball Coach. If one the WCC teams want a man who believe that building young men is part of a coaches job description and desire a man with both the hoops knowledge and character to make their basketball program competitive, it would be the smartest thing some of them could do to hire Coach Smith.

Can he dance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX1qGr-xKbk