PDA

View Full Version : When/How are GAS tickets available?

tyra
08-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I've never been to the GAS but we are going this year. Does anyone know when and how tickets are available? I think it would be a shame to fly to Anchorage and not be able to actually go the games :) Thnx.

Akzag
08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
This is last year's info, but it looks like a good place to start ... the bottom grid. And just below is the UAA info # and email.

goseaswolves.com (http://www.goseawolves.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13400&KEY=&SPID=6647&SPSID=61150)

Your friendly Ticketmaster prevails even up here.

I have no knowledge of what kind of tickets or packages would / might / or are not available via GU. So that might be your first best bet.

And after corporate and local booster seats ... who knows.

I think that the UW - Alabama championship game a few years ago sold out, but other than that, tickets have not been a problem as of late. (Of course, this is a better overall field as well as the 30th incarnation).

Also note, that the entire tournament package (last year at least) covers 8 sessions, so I am thinking that cost must also cover the women's tournament.
Once the bracket is revealed (hopefully, by this weekend) you might be able to get a better deal via individual session passes (more althoughs - single session tickets were not available for purchase until mid-November - eeks)

So there, no answers, just a link with some approximates. We should know some facts soon.

tyra
08-14-2007, 06:23 PM
thanks for the help.

BTW, my family is from Texas. I'm the first one in the family born outside Texas in more than 160 years. When they get uppity, I like to tell them that if Alaska was divided in half, that would make Texas the third largest state in the union.:)

lawzag
08-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Tyra, are you a Bulldog club member?

Letters went out to Bulldog club members day before yesterday explaining how to get tickets for the GAS & other out-of-town matchups through the University (& thereby you would save the exhorbitant fees that Ticketmaster adds to their tickets). As far as I know though, the offer is only available to Bulldog club members.

PM me if you have further questions.:)

Butler Guy
08-15-2007, 07:25 AM
now confirmed as the team that will replace Liberty, what do you all see the seedings looking like?

Akzag
08-15-2007, 01:11 PM
...what do you all see the seedings looking like?

I still maintain that the GAS isn't a straight 1-8 ranked tournament. ESPN will help decide the pairings to get the best matchups that their schedule (also still unknown) allows them to televise. It's all about ratings.

But for fun ... I'll rank them thusly ...
8. UAA
7. EWU
6. Michigan
5. W. Kentucky
4. Texas Tech
3. Virginia Tech
2. Gonzaga
1. Butler

However, my prediction for matchups ...

Wed .
UAA
Texas Tech

Butler
EWU

Thurs.
Va. Tech
W. Kent.

Gonz.
Michigan

Fri. semis match the two winners from each day ( TT v. Butler) ...

I may very well be wrong, but that is how I would arrange it. Allowing for the east coast team to play the early game on Thanksgiving, after whatever football game is planned (ratings). Thinking again that UAA would want to play against Bobby Knight, and not necessarily Texas Tech for their lone televised game of the year (and also keeping the viewers from the Maui championship around - ratings). But still have the "7th ranked" team play UAA on the second day (barring an opening round upset) for a possible home town victory and guaranteeing an at-worst, 6th place finish.

We'll know soon enough. But how would you, ButlerGuy (or others), pair the field?

lothar98zag
08-15-2007, 01:36 PM
The only thing I would like to see w/ the GAS bracket is GU playing on the 1st day (and therefore getting a day off during the tourney)

sittingon50
08-15-2007, 04:37 PM
I agree Lothar. Think that was the reason Dickau & the Zags lost to Wade & Marquette; Marguette had the extra day rest (hope my memory serves me).

lothar98zag
08-15-2007, 04:59 PM
I agree Lothar. Think that was the reason Dickau & the Zags lost to Wade & Marquette; Marguette had the extra day rest (hope my memory serves me).
correct!

(btw, that tourney was the 1st time I saw Wade play and it was obvious to me at the time he was special)

Butler Guy
08-15-2007, 05:00 PM
that doesn't reside in some mutual fund, I couldn't care less how marketable a given first round match-up is (or is not), I would try to find a seeding methodology that is as unbiased as can be. My first thought was to use one of the various pre-season rankings, but which to choose? Collegehoopsnet? ESPN? FOX Sports? Nah, they all are littered my their little biases (can you believe Katz has Davidson in his Top 25? LOL)

No, the "cleanest" method I can imagine is using the 2007 Sagarin Ratings as the determinate of seed, knowing full-well that with roster turnover many (if not all) of the teams are changed from where they were in April.

That being said, here is the 2007 final Sagarin Ratings for the GAS teams:

1. Butler # 15
8. AK-Anchorage N/R
4. Michigan #56
5. Texas Tech #68

3. Gonzaga #53
6. Western Kentucky #110
2. Virginia Tech #36
7. Eastern Washington #191

-----------------------------------
Are there problems with it? Sure (Va Tech sucks), but at least it's fair. Also, Gonzaga is pretty much guaranteed a run at the title with that draw!!! LOL

I think Butler will beat UofM or TT by 10, so it looks like a Preseason NIT rematch.

------------------------------------

Side Note: Whoever gets AK-Anchorage gets the advantage of avoiding the RPI drain from their first round opponent.

BBskorer
08-15-2007, 11:00 PM
iirc, of the 4 first-round games, only 2 are televised (1 Wed, 1 Thu, with UAA getting the Wed. game). After last year's slate (the first 2 TV games were LMU/UAA & Marshall/Cal), I think they've gotta come back strong this time and put the most appealing teams on the tele. imo, it's GU, Butler, & Texas Tech. GU & Butler because they're the best teams, and Texas Tech because Bob Knight is, well, Bob Knight. Michigan would be the other candidate, but Wolverine fans at that time of the year are either still high from a football W over Ohio State, or still in the dumps after an L. Either way, they aren't much into basketball that week, and probably won't be staying up 'til 2am for hoops.

So I've got UAA, Gonzaga, Butler, and T.Tech to fill the 4 1st-rd TV spots. And since I can't pair GU & Butler in the opener, I'm gonna go with Butler/UAA & GU/T.Tech (ignoring overall bracket-balance with the latter). I think a known matchup involving a very popular GU team & a very "visible" Tech coach would be a solid draw that ESPN could pub throughout the first few days of "Feast Week", when you've got all those tourneys running together.

Wed----> Butler/UAA & EWU/VT
Thu-----> GU/TTU & WKU/Mich

Okay, that's all for the, ahem, "logic". It's actually my ideal setup so that we can beat:

TTU - a GU win & a Bob Knight loss.......at the same time? Too much fun!
Michigan - I know, don't sleep on the 'toppers. But I'd rather take down the Wolverines. Maybe one Michigan resident (an '09 recruit?) will be watching.
Butler - for obvious reasons!