PDA

View Full Version : My hope as we go forward

Reborn
03-25-2013, 09:48 AM
As we go forward and begin to prepare for next year, my greatest hope is that Kelly Olynyk comes back to GU to play basketball. I know that it makes more sense to most people that he goes on now and tries to make it in the NBA. I am not one who believes that. I think Kelly will be a better NBA player if he comes back to Gonzaga and plays one more year. I am hoping that he has the kind of bitter taste in his mouth that I have, and that he will not want to leave his collegiate experience with that kind of taste in his mouth.

I also think Kelly loves Gonzaga and his fellow team mates, and I feel it would do him best to come back and play the one year that he has left. My personal belief is that when he does leave and go to play in the NBA that he will feel better inside if he finishes his collegiate career at Gonzaga. The money will be there for Kelly if he waits one more year. And there may even be more of it if he is patient and waits.

Can you imagine going into next season with Kelly, PK, and Sam as our front court? IMO Kelly would be a better 4 than Elias, and I am hoping that PK will be a very very good player next year. And who knows about Sam. It will be up to Sam in the off season to decide how good he wants to be next year.

Could a team with Kelly, Sam, PK, Kevin and Gary, and G Coleman be a #1 team in the polls and a #1 Seed next year? I would say yes. Coleman at the 3 next year will be the key to the Zags going further next year. The Zags were playing 4 on 5 all year on offense this year. Next year, with Coleman, the Zags will be a better offensive team. Is Gerald Coleman a better player than David Stockton, Kyle Dranginis? I think yes. Gerald Coleman is a tested player who has had success in one of the toughest conferences in America. I like our chances with him in the starting lineup. And Bell and Pangos will be juniors, and as good as they have been they will be better next year.

Bench play is so very important to a team's success. As good as our bench was at times this year, I believe they didn't score a single point in our defeat to Wichita St. So, with so many guys returning next year who will be bench players next year, and the addition of Angel Nunez I am sure the bench will be better too.

So let's hope that Kelly comes back next year. Let's hope he announces it soon. He can revive the hope and faith immediately if he does that. The best IS yet to come. I hope Kelly ignites the flame of faith and hope by announcing this soon. I hope he can see the kind of team Gonzaga could have next year if he returns.

thickman1
03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
If KO comes back he should really look at playing KO at the 4 and PK at the 5 with Sam Dower coming off the bench.

cjm720
03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Using the words of Russell Wilson, we need to have a "championship off-season."

Work hard fellas...the cupboard is full. COMPETE, COMPETE, AND COMPETE SOME MORE.

Will miss ya Elias, Mike, and likely Kelly.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 10:32 AM
If KO comes back he should really look at playing KO at the 4 and PK at the 5 with Sam Dower coming off the bench.

We're in trouble with Karno and Dower being the other bigs.

Maybe find a J. P. Bastista somewhere who can step in.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-25-2013, 10:43 AM
I have pondered this team with and without KO next year. If Kelly comes back, I think the team could be a tremendous offensive team. EH and Mike Hart did so much of the unsung work that often does not show up on the scoreboard, but leads to scores and prevents scoring.

KO, Sam, and PK would be a daunting front line. There would be 30 minutes for KO and 25 minutes of playing time for PK and SD. For league play I see Nunez coming in to play as the 4th in the rotation.

Coleman, Dranginis could play the 2 and 3 while Drew would play the 3. Coleman (and Dranginis with confidence) are slashers that could break down opposing Defenses for easy dishes to the bigs and open kicks to GBJ or KP. It is that slashing, penetrating guard that I think was missing on this years edition of the Zags.

If KO leaves, I see a more guard focused team with KO, GBJ, GC, KD, and DB taking many more shots. Depth may be lacking at the 4, and 5 until Nunez becomes eligible.

I hope Edwards is given the opportunity to RS and if KO comes back, that will make that possible.

If KO does come back, I think the Zags sweep the WCC again. If not, I think the Zags lose at USD, BYU, and another stinker somewhere. Despite a great record, the Zags will be a 3 seed at best due to this year's early out.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
.. KO, Sam, and PK would be a daunting front line. ...

Respectfully disagree VZF. Karno too slow, Dower cannot play D and fouls incessantly.

Time will tell, but we're going backwards next year on the front line, IMO.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
ZLG,

You may be right. I just think PK will really improve this off-season now that he knows what he needs to work on. I also think Sam will step up and take ownership as well. The guy has the potential and if he works on his D this summer, he could be great at 20-25 minutes a game. If no KO, this may be our weakest front court since?

Also, Tommy may have something on the Euro track that we have not heard about as well. Who knows.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 10:54 AM
ZLG,

You may be right. I just think PK will really improve this off-season now that he knows what he needs to work on. I also think Sam will step up and take ownership as well. The guy has the potential and if he works on his D this summer, he could be great at 20-25 minutes a game. If no KO, this may be our weakest front court since?

Also, Tommy may have something on the Euro track that we have not heard about as well. Who knows.

I like that Euro talk :)

GU69
03-25-2013, 02:09 PM
As we go forward and begin to prepare for next year, my greatest hope is that Kelly Olynyk comes back to GU to play basketball. I know that it makes more sense to most people that he goes on now and tries to make it in the NBA. I am not one who believes that. I think Kelly will be a better NBA player if he comes back to Gonzaga and plays one more year.

Reborn, I am with you on this. I know that Kelly has already received a BA and could go to the NBA. However, I am convinced that most kids are better off staying in college as long as they can. Professional sports is a tough life, and I believe that the extra year of learning and maturity that can take place in a college program is worth the wait.

jwalk
03-25-2013, 08:02 PM
I was commenting to my father the other day that Kelly does not play above the rim as much as he should, especially when he receives the ball low in the post. His post moves are great but most of his shots were lay-ins this year with the occasional dunk. All these shots will be blocked by the more athletic big guys in the NBA. His mid range game is far above most in the NCAA and some in the NBA. He should test the NBA waters without an agent, see what he needs to work on and concentrate on that during the off season.

PK and SD need to buy into the same workout that Kelly did during his red shirt year. PK needs to turn some of his weight into muscle and use the agility training that KO went through to help his foot work. He already has the shooting skills and IQ of a potential great big. He rarely lowers the ball when he gets a rebound and goes right back up with it. Strength and weight loss will allow him to get off the ground quicker and more powerful. He needs to dunk the ball every time he gets a rebound. He needs to spend every day shooting 500 free throws. His shooting form is near perfect, his confidence in his ability at the line is what needs improving. It will come with more practice. He also needs to shoot more 4ft to 10ft shots during the summer. When BYU or anyone else played zone, the 8 to 10ft shot was always open and would be a great addition to his game.

SD needs to spend fall training camp with the Seahawks and become the aggressor and learn how to work through all the contact. He has improved in this aspect over the years, but not like KO did between his sophomore and junior year. His mid range game is a thing of beauty, he also has a sweet shot out to the 3pt line but tends to get the ball stripped when double teamed down low. He would also benefit from going through the same agility training that KO went through. He tends to get called for traveling quite a bit, the agility training would help with his footwork.

The incoming freshmen will more than likely red shirt given the back log at their positions. I could be proven wrong by one of them becoming Shaq or the next KO but i wouldn't bet on it. They both need to buy into the training program that Kelly went through, get them keeping stats during the game while on the bench and really learn the game from a coach's perspective. I think this in it's self is what allowed Kelly to be so offensively efficient.

Watching the Wichita State game proved something i have been saying for a long time. We build players to be strong and physical but not to be high flying like WSU and Southern was. Watching the Florida Gulf Coast team really reminds me a lot of the early Zags teams that liked to get up and dunk on everyone. I miss the days of Pargo's posterizing dunks on the other teams defenders or Casey and Cory just flat out getting up for a dunk. Nothing like taking the wind out the other teams sails by a thunderous dunk. I agree that being big and strong is great, but does it come at a cost in leaping ability?? Don't know!!!

Our Bigs can be really good next year with or without Kelly, it just really depends on keeping PK at GU during the summer and both of them working really hard to become the best they can be.

GrizZAG
03-25-2013, 09:14 PM
JWalk, I would buy into this recipe quicker than One Minute Rice. Great overview and spot on. Especially on how KO should gauge his next moves.

ZagaZags
03-26-2013, 02:43 AM

If he is not a starter next season.

EagleFuzz
03-26-2013, 07:23 AM
With all this negative talk about the ZAGS being a one seed they didnt deserve yadda yadda..remember its not loke few and co. told the selection people, the AP hey make us a number 1. Those people made the choice based on the product they saw. With GBJ being injured it identified a weak link. That injury was adversity the ZAGS havnt had to deal with in a long time. As for recruiting....the past present and future players all play here because they want to prove something. The kids these days know nothing about the lean years. They have grown up knowing the ZAGS are the team to beat. The ZAGS will reload and be back next year. I am sure if you look back to this board dicussion last year.

Sacre is gone doom and gloom yadda yadda yadda....As fans we need to remember stay hungry. Dont let the media bias the fan base and feed into the BS. regroup reload and come back next year HUNGRY

bartruff1
03-26-2013, 07:48 AM
My hope is that we stay competitive in the WCC and keep going to the NCAA Tourney...

Mojo13
03-26-2013, 08:14 AM
It is a colossal mistake by Kelly if he comes back. He will drop 15-30 spots in the draft, possibly costing him over $3M in guaranteed money. (plus the the risk of him getting hurt).

This draft is historically weak and the next draft should be the best in a decade.

I dont think many people here understand how weak this year's draft class is. Some GMs have said there are 7-8 players in next year class that would go #1 overall this year (if in this class).

Kelly has an accounting degree, he should be able to understand opportunity cost.

TexasZagFan
03-26-2013, 08:33 AM
It is a colossal mistake by Kelly if he comes back. He will drop 15-30 spots in the draft, possibly costing him over $3M in guaranteed money. (plus the the risk of him getting hurt).

This draft is historically weak and the next draft should be the best in a decade.

I dont think many people here understand how weak this year's draft class is. Some GMs have said there are 7-8 players in next year class that would go #1 overall this year (if in this class).

Kelly has an accounting degree, he should be able to understand opportunity cost.

And 5 or 6 of those have signed on with Calipari. ;)

primal23
03-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Is that we actually do something in March... Around my work, people are saying that if Few couldn't get to a FF, or at least an EE, with this team, he never will. Sadly I'm agreeing with this statement. Some might be happy with a SS every 4 or 5 years, and mostly first weekend outs, but I know I'm not.

I know its matchups etc, but to not make a SS with a 1 seed is not good.

Reborn
03-26-2013, 09:16 AM
It's now been 4 years since the Zags have reached the Sweet 16. This year, imo, was going to be the year that Gonzaga at least made it to the Sweet 16. We seemed to have the team that could do it, and honestly Few has always made it to the Sweet 16 every 3 or 4 years. This is HIS biggest drought. Come next year, at this time of year, it will be a five year drought.

If Kelly does not return, I can not see how the Zags make it to the Sweet 16. I figured that this year the Zags would make it that far and even further, and that next year would be somewhat of a rebuilding year. If he does return, and with the addition of Coleman and Nunez, the Zags have a great chance of going further next year than they did this year. With Kelly coming back, next years team really could be the best Gonzaga team ever.

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2013, 09:17 AM
I miss Meech.....;)

Hoopaholic
03-26-2013, 09:35 AM
I guess I differ a little Reborn.....take KO out of the equation for a second

With next years group we become re-centered around guard and wing play. Karno and Dower provide for inside presence, rebounding and occaisional release valve for scoring, but the 4-5 slot will NOT be the center of the offensive wheel......

We will have a 3 year starting guard tandem....and I frimly believe the reins will be lifted on GB for him to become the prolific scorer that he can be....add two potential dynamic off the dribble wings and we have a tremendous 1-2-3 with very solid backups for those positions.....Draino will turn the corner

Our offensive flow will look much different and will be back to what has been a traditional zag offense...running, attacking gaps and guard play.....

Dower and Karno will provide solid rebounding...the concern will be finding a third body (again taking KO out of the equation) to give each of them 5-7 minutes spells and provide solid backup for foul trouble

I highly doubt we will see the high pick and roll single sets we have seen ton of this year.....sense we will migrate back to motion type guard attacking front without KO.......4 out 1 in type rotation as this bodes well with Dower ability to stretch the floor and will give angles for Nunez, Coleman and Bell to crash the glass

Defensively I see a shift as well with the guard up as we will be able to consistently cover the backside with Karno...Karno can become a shot blocking force in the paint for us ....

I see a very good chance of making a decent run once again next year

hooter73
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
The intangibles and leadership we are losing with Harris and Hart are going to really hurt. But Kelly's fire, his drive, his attitude, that is something that we havent had quite enough of and I think was a nice part of this season.

Dont know about the NBA stuff, Im never right on it, but if KO came back next year I bet he would be working on his outside shot a lot more this summer and be the 4 we need while cattle prodding Karno along to be the 5 we need. Thats my best case scenario for our bigs.

Reborn
03-26-2013, 11:25 AM
I guess I differ a little Reborn.....take KO out of the equation for a second

With next years group we become re-centered around guard and wing play. Karno and Dower provide for inside presence, rebounding and occaisional release valve for scoring, but the 4-5 slot will NOT be the center of the offensive wheel......

I see a very good chance of making a decent run once again next year

Thanks for your ideas. I enjoyed reading them, and you certainly could be right. I certainly like the idea of returning to guard play and having them be more of the focus on offense. But, honestly, I still have pretty grave concerns about a team without Kelly Olynyk. I am not a big Sam Dower fan. Although Sam certainly has a good outside shot, he still has been unable to develop an inside game. And he will be a senior next year. However, Wichita St's power forward did not have an inside game and was a heck of an outside shooter. But he was also a very good, tough defensive player, and ultimately that is my concern about Sam. I was very unimpressed with Sam's game against WSU, and in fact I was unimpressed with our whole bench accept Barham. Barham was the only bench player who scored. David Stockton did not play well at all. Of the six consecutive shots that WSU made down the stretch David was guarding the players who made 3 of them. He is just too short folks.

Zagcity
03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
if KO came back next year I bet he would be working on his outside shot a lot more this summer and be the 4 we need while cattle prodding Karno along to be the 5 we need. Thats my best case scenario for our bigs.

This would be the most optimum, lets hope it is so. :pray:

demian
03-28-2013, 07:53 AM
As we go forward and begin to prepare for next year, my greatest hope is that Kelly Olynyk comes back to GU to play basketball. I know that it makes more sense to most people that he goes on now and tries to make it in the NBA. I am not one who believes that. I think Kelly will be a better NBA player if he comes back to Gonzaga and plays one more year. I am hoping that he has the kind of bitter taste in his mouth that I have, and that he will not want to leave his collegiate experience with that kind of taste in his mouth.

I also think Kelly loves Gonzaga and his fellow team mates, and I feel it would do him best to come back and play the one year that he has left. My personal belief is that when he does leave and go to play in the NBA that he will feel better inside if he finishes his collegiate career at Gonzaga. The money will be there for Kelly if he waits one more year. And there may even be more of it if he is patient and waits.

Can you imagine going into next season with Kelly, PK, and Sam as our front court? IMO Kelly would be a better 4 than Elias, and I am hoping that PK will be a very very good player next year. And who knows about Sam. It will be up to Sam in the off season to decide how good he wants to be next year.

Could a team with Kelly, Sam, PK, Kevin and Gary, and G Coleman be a #1 team in the polls and a #1 Seed next year? I would say yes. Coleman at the 3 next year will be the key to the Zags going further next year. The Zags were playing 4 on 5 all year on offense this year. Next year, with Coleman, the Zags will be a better offensive team. Is Gerald Coleman a better player than David Stockton, Kyle Dranginis? I think yes. Gerald Coleman is a tested player who has had success in one of the toughest conferences in America. I like our chances with him in the starting lineup. And Bell and Pangos will be juniors, and as good as they have been they will be better next year.

Bench play is so very important to a team's success. As good as our bench was at times this year, I believe they didn't score a single point in our defeat to Wichita St. So, with so many guys returning next year who will be bench players next year, and the addition of Angel Nunez I am sure the bench will be better too.

So let's hope that Kelly comes back next year. Let's hope he announces it soon. He can revive the hope and faith immediately if he does that. The best IS yet to come. I hope Kelly ignites the flame of faith and hope by announcing this soon. I hope he can see the kind of team Gonzaga could have next year if he returns.

Great post reborn i agree with everything 100%