PDA

View Full Version : How far can Wichita State go?

MickMick
03-25-2013, 07:37 AM
It really boils down to consistency.

I'm betting against them hitting every shot down the stretch again. They played the game of their lives against GU.

They go back to normal against Ohio State. Elite eight isn't a bad showing for a 9 seed.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 07:38 AM
It really boils down to consistency.

I'm betting against them hitting every shot down the stretch again. They played the game of their lives against GU.

They go back to normal against Ohio State. Elite eight isn't a bad showing for a 9 seed.

They won't hit the 3's like they did against the Zags, but thuggery will work if the refs have any say.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-25-2013, 07:46 AM
They are good enough to beat anybody in the country if they shoot like they did against us. They also match up well with Ohio State. As wide open as the West is, they might be the team with the best shot at the Final Four.

Arneson
03-25-2013, 08:06 AM
My prediction is they do what BYU did, keep shooting 3's but fail against someone other than GU in knocking them down because for some reason whether it be a curse, trend, or small guards, everyone shoots lights out 3's against us in the NCAA's.

BYU: 14-28 against us in 2011. Next game: 10-37 against Florida.

They have a shot in the next game, especially since they will probably rebound better than against Gonzaga, but I don't think they have a shot at the Final Four. (Though it'd be nice, and would make us look better)

siliconzag
03-25-2013, 08:23 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9096018/tim-tebow-new-york-jets-greets-wichita-state-shockers-impromptu-pep-talk

No stoppin them now! :vomit-smiley-007:

cbbfanatic
03-25-2013, 08:28 AM
50/50 to beat LaSalle

30/70 against zona/osu

former1dog
03-25-2013, 09:13 AM
They'll play OSU in the elite 8 and get beaten.

thickman1
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
If WSU comes out in their game against LaSalle and cannot hit 3's I'll probably be sick...

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
If WSU comes out in their game against LaSalle and cannot hit 3's I'll probably be sick...

Bank on it.

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 10:39 AM

I'm still sick and will be sick for 7 more months. WSU won't even hit 5 threes against LaSalle but they will still win.

I still can't believe how paved our road was to the elite 8. the easiest path in the tournament.

FGZagDad
03-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Live by the three die by the three, Lasalle is better, they lose in a close one.

siliconzag
03-25-2013, 10:55 AM
To underestimate Wichita, whether we are talking about the team or the fans. They are mean, and they are good. They will beat LaSalle. Their defense and their rebounding will be the difference. The reason they took so many threes against Gonzaga is because we packed the middle, meaning we encouraged it. We didn't adapt at halftime so the onslaught continued. Wichita did not live by the three except for a single game. They are a good shooting team, but their strength is offensive rebounding (put backs) and scoring in transition after forcing turnovers with stalwart defensive pressure and interrupting passing lanes. Wichita is truly built for the tournament. They play a lot like a Tom Izzo team. I would be very surprised if LaSalle beats them.

One more thing. Minimizing Wichita is a double edged sword. How do you feel about getting beaten by a mediocre team, fellow Zag fans? They may not be a lovable team, but they sure are good. I hope they go a long ways, if for no other reason than we can say we got beaten by a really good team. Alas, I am no Wichita State fan. But if I had my way they would be meeing Florida Gulf Coast in the finals, and the Eagles would beat them.

Sili

gamagin
03-25-2013, 11:12 AM
To underestimate Wichita, whether we are talking about the team or the fans. They are mean, and they are good. They will beat LaSalle. Their defense and their rebounding will be the difference. The reason they took so many threes against Gonzaga is because we packed the middle, meaning we encouraged it. We didn't adapt at halftime so the onslaught continued. Wichita did not live by the three except for a single game. They are a good shooting team, but their strength is offensive rebounding (put backs) and scoring in transition after forcing turnovers with stalwart defensive pressure and interrupting passing lanes. Wichita is truly built for the tournament. They play a lot like a Tom Izzo team. I would be very surprised if LaSalle beats them.

One more thing. Minimizing Wichita is a double edged sword. How do you feel about getting beaten by a mediocre team, fellow Zag fans? They may not be a lovable team, but they sure are good. I hope they go a long ways, if for no other reason than we can say we got beaten by a really good team. Alas, I am no Wichita State fan. But if I had my way they would be meeing Florida Gulf Coast in the finals, and the Eagles would beat them.

Sili

Sun. and was cheering for your other team. Sorry they lost.

siliconzag
03-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Sun. and was cheering for your other team. Sorry they lost.

I wasn't broken hearted. The Zag lost hurt more, and not because I loved the Jays less, as you undoubtedly know.

The Creighton Duke game started out great with a GG's dunk. What Coach K did was amazing, and also, Coach McDermott had a great game plan too. If you told me before the game that Mason Plumlee and Kelly would combine for only 11 points, I would have predicted a victory for the Bluejays. However, true to their mascot's name, they were Blue Demons, and the main Blue Demon was Coach K. He knew that there were four potentially dangerous 3 point shooters on the team, McDermott, Wragge, Dingman and Manigat. So the defense covered those guys really well and Chatman chucked them up instead. He is a streaky shooter at best, and a Freshman, and gets rattled, and Coach K knew that. The other thing I noticed about Duke is that they had an X factor, Rasheed Sulalmon, who had his best game of the year. Creighton lost in a game much closer than the score. It got away at the end, but, they were in it most of the way. Who would have ever guessed that it would be their offense that let them down. OTH, Duke's defense was what held them down. I don't much like Coach K, because he routinely thrashes my favorite teams, but he is good, and there is no doubt about it. They may beat out Louisville.

One last thing, Coach McDermott deserves a lot of credit. Holding Duke's main scorers down to 28 points was an incredible accomplishment. I think their future is bright. Doug will stick around another year, I am almost certain of it. They will miss Grant and Gregory however. Avery Dingman and Will Artino are very capable however. Go Jays in the new Fish Eaters League.

Sili

maynard g krebs
03-25-2013, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't sell LaSalle short. Their top 4 scorers are Philly kids, and having grown up on Palestra double headers 40some years ago, I know there is a magic to Philly basketball, especially regarding guard play.

They beat two teams that have defeated Florida in this tourney. They are channeling the spirits of Tom Gola and Ken Durrett and Larry Cannon and Bernie Williams and Fatty Taylor. They have the look of a team on a mission. I learned not to bet against Philly guards a long time ago.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Who cares? They are trash and will get beat by 30 when all their 3s don't fall. Oh wait, they have a 13 seed coming up next, SMH.

Zagcity
03-26-2013, 06:50 AM
If they play like they did against Pitt they lose and if they play like they did against the Zags they win its as simple as that. That you can bank on. My bet is they will play like they did against Pitt. :explode: