PDA

View Full Version : What is gonzaga's long term goal?

gonwick
03-24-2013, 10:03 AM
GU has entered awkward adolscence. The teenage years of its ncaa appearances. Is this the goal, namely win the wcc, make the tournament, win one or two every year, maybe some day make a run but not expect it. Does it want to try to grow? If so, how? New conference? We are not good enough to compete with the big boys day in and day out for recruits, for resources, and in the tournament at this stage. We are geographically isolated. We get some recruits, we win some games, but gu is now being judged against majors, fairly or unfairly. It is easier to root for an overachiever than an underachiever, and gu is fast becoming the latter in the eyes of the country (and potential recruits). It is a very interesting stage in gu's development, and I don't know what I'd advocate for if I were running the zoo, which I'm not.

doug2
03-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Staying put or making moves to get better, that's the choice before Zag administrators. There are risks and rewards to each choice.

The elite status choice will require some difficult choices with loyal coaches and a commitment to more spending. The competition level in conference play will have to be looked at, too. Hard to improve if you aren't challenged night in, night out.

Deciding for the status quo is not all bad. Lots of wins and conference championships. This is the comfortable choice. The problem is if you're not getting better, you're likely already in decline. The decline accelerates when top recruits sense this, too, and look elsewhere. The bloom comes off, donors put up their checkbooks and the decline picks up more speed.

Making the Sweet 16 only twice in the last 12 years seems to suggest the program has reached its ceiling. Do we try to hang on or shake things up?

Easier by far to debate the situation than make the decisions.

Hoopaholic
03-25-2013, 08:20 PM
What is elite status? And where would one know when you are elite in college basketball?

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
The goal of the Jesuits and administration is to educate human beings. This is ultimately the same goal for Mark Krause and Few. If basketball can help kids get the best jobs and make them better human beings, then that is the goal. Gonzaga has been so successful at the basketball gig, that our brand of basketball has also helped the entire university reach some of its financial goals, but the goal is still the same.

Oh yeah...... and win an NCAA Div1 National Championship at basketball.

UKWildcatsFan
03-25-2013, 08:38 PM
What is elite status? And where would one know when you are elite in college basketball?

I think you probably have to get a Final Four to even be thought of to be in consideration for elite status.

HOOTER
03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Is this the goal, namely win the wcc, make the tournament, win one or two every year, maybe some day make a run but not expect it.

I'd say probably. Most folks in this little Gonzaga bubble are comfortable with this goal I think. If they can maintain the status quo for the foreseeable future (I don't see any reason why they can't), that should keep people around here content. If they can beat a few decent teams early in the season, do well in conference, get a ticket to the big dance and maybe win one, that will probably suffice.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. There's a ton of teams in div 1 basketball that would kill for this type of consistency. I just don't see any reason to think things will change either way any time soon.

And heck, maybe some year down the road the stars will align, luck will be on their side and they'll get a shot at another elite 8. The odds are this has gotta happen someday, right?

primal23
03-26-2013, 08:59 AM
I'd say probably. Most folks in this little Gonzaga bubble are comfortable with this goal I think. If they can maintain the status quo for the foreseeable future (I don't see any reason why they can't), that should keep people around here content. If they can beat a few decent teams early in the season, do well in conference, get a ticket to the big dance and maybe win one, that will probably suffice.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. There's a ton of teams in div 1 basketball that would kill for this type of consistency. I just don't see any reason to think things will change either way any time soon.

And heck, maybe some year down the road the stars will align, luck will be on their side and they'll get a shot at another elite 8. The odds are this has gotta happen someday, right?

Treading water doesn't get you anywhere. Regular season excellence, but post season disappointments over and over just isn't good enough.

I love Gonzaga, will always love Gonzaga. Loved it as a kid going to games. Loved it when I was going to school there. Love the teams we put forth, the classy, well spoken, educated young men we put on the court. But I can't be ok with how bad this team has played in the post season since the last of 3 in a row SS.