PDA

View Full Version : Have we calmed down yet?

Mr Vulture
03-24-2013, 09:16 AM
I came here last night expecting to hear disappointment, which I was disappointed as well, and congratulations for an entertaining year. Instead I found a plethora of fire Coach Few and what a terrible he coach he is threads. I always thought we were gracious in defeat, but instead I feel bad for those who turn disappointment and anger into attacks. We had a great year, there will be great ones in the future. Coach Few is very good and we are lucky to have him.

In the end, the NCAA tournament will always be about luck as well as talent. The injury to GBJ hurt more than many realize. We ran into a team that couldn't miss down the stretch and they weren't all wide open looks either. I would just like to congratulate Wichita State for a great win and also want to thank the Zags for a great year!

As always, we will be back and it only takes a little luck to advance. With Pangos/GBJ heading into their third years, Coleman/Nunez being eligible next year, returning guys like Barham/Stockton/Dower, and the improvement I anticipate from Karnowski/Dranginis I think we could make another run. If by some minor miracle we get Olynyk back, it would extremely interesting.

In the end, we have a lot to be thankful for and GO ZAGS!

sylean
03-24-2013, 09:22 AM
I think KO should come back...his stock has dropped and he needs to build it back up.... he was not dominant or even much of a threat last night.....another year will make him stronger and solidify his game.....next year could turn out to be "the" year in reality....

Mr Vulture
03-24-2013, 09:30 AM
I must have watched a different game as I saw the same Olynyk and doubt highly his "stock dropped" at all. However, I just hope the negativity can rally us all behind our team moving forward. I think it's obvious emotion is trumping judgement for many.

LongIslandZagFan
03-24-2013, 09:35 AM
I must have watched a different game as I saw the same Olynyk and doubt highly his "stock dropped" at all. However, I just hope the negativity can rally us all behind our team moving forward. I think it's obvious emotion is trumping judgement for many.

Ya' think?

Birddog
03-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Respectfully disagree. His inability to make contested bunnies and lay ins had to hurt. He looked out of sorts in the hack attack and those guys from WSU were not NBA'ers either. I'm guessing he dropped a couple spots at the least. OTOH, that dunk off DS's pass against Southern might still be on scouts mind.

MDABE80
03-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Numbers were good 27 pt=9 boards but the mechanics of how he got those numbers were not terrific. 8-22 shooting can't be good.
Meanwhile. I don't think Few was beat up in these blog. A bit too conservative too early but ....we just lost. So, we move on.........

Mr Vulture
03-24-2013, 09:53 AM
There were two fire Coach Few threads on here last night that carried over into today. Also, one less than great game is not going to change the perception of a scout on a player. His 2nd half was much better than the first.

ezcure17
03-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Great post!! I was going to write something very similar as your post. The NCAA is a crapshoot. The best teams don't always win. Just think about what the team has done this year. 32 wins, a # 1 ranking, a # 1 seed, 16-0 in league, all very impressive numbers don't you think.

REMEMBER THIS!!! GBJ is our best defensive stopper. Just look at what he did against other teams best players, so you KNOW that this game would have been different down the stretch if he didn't get hurt, PLUS he is probably our purest shooter, that didn't help either. And you act as if ALL of their 3 pointers were uncontested, THEY WEREN'T!! Just like Southern...so many lucky shots!!! So if you honestly think that this didn't factor in our loss, then you don't know basketball and shouldn't be critical about this loss OR of the season. AND, if we WOULD have won this game, do you really think we would have done anything WITHOUT BELL??? Hardly, we are good, but as a team, you need ALL of your best players.

We ALL are hurt and upset, but some of you posters AND your comments...you are the ones that even if we would have WON the title this year, would be #####ing about NOT winning it the NEXT year as well. We have a great program and team, you act as if we are the only ones who LOSE in the tournament. Look at Michigan, their first sweet 16 since the 1990's, Gtown losing to double digit seeds. Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce the way we want it to. The best teams don't always win it. You have to be injury free, have a little luck, and all of the other things. Only 1 team wins the title, 67 teams are going to lose!!

You should really appreciate this year and the years to come. We have all become TOO SPOILED in my opinion. We will be fine. I am already counting down the days to the start of NEXT year.

FGZagDad
03-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Totally agree. The tourney is about both skill and luck. We had our chances and could have won. GBJ injury and a stretch of incredible shooting moved the shockers on and us home. Credit them, they put the ball in the hole when it counted. Regroup and look forward, great kids and program.

teacher56
03-24-2013, 10:09 AM
I think KO should come back...his stock has dropped and he needs to build it back up.... he was not dominant or even much of a threat last night.....another year will make him stronger and solidify his game.....next year could turn out to be "the" year in reality....

So, you think to be an nba pick a player needs to always dominate?
The nba is full of players who did'nt "dominate".
Kelly played great although some of those missed bunnies could have been due to defensive pressure.
His "stock" is plenty high and thats for sure and for certain.
Great if he comes back but he will get drafted as his pro upside is off the charts imo.

jayray
03-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Totally agree. The tourney is about both skill and luck. We had our chances and could have won. GBJ injury and a stretch of incredible shooting moved the shockers on and us home. Credit them, they put the ball in the hole when it counted. Regroup and look forward, great kids and program.

The tournament is about finding a way to win. Great teams find a way to win. At some point you have to at least listen to the argument of all the naysayers and doubters. I didn't believe them but maybe they were right all along. I think Ohio or Indiana or Duke would have beat WSU last night. This GU team might not have been as good as we all thought, they had a good season and a few good wins, give them credit for that.

Few should watch the 30 in 30 on Jimmy V. He taught his players how to believe, he actually practiced cutting down the nets. Did GU look like a team last night that believed they were going to cut down the nets in Atlanta?

combatcorpsmangulaw
03-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Without lambasting the coach, any players, or the guy who sold warm beer at halftime, I think we need more athleticism on the Team.

I watched a number of NCAA and NIT games this weekend; and saw players on a variety of teams that "get after it" like Mike Hart does for GU. I don't see the same fervor overall w/ the Zags. There are exceptions, Pangos comes to mind as a very fine player in all aspects.

I think Stockton is too small for Division 1 basketball. I'm not saying he should be dropped off the team or any other draconian steps taken against him. I just think we need bigger guards.

I hope that we address where we are truly at this off-season. I believe we need some major changes in athleticism and 'get after it' when the going gets tough.

Mr Vulture
03-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Good news...Coleman and Nunez are very good athletes that will help next season!

Marcus
03-24-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm still devastated, I love this team but can't stop thinking about this loss. What drives me personally crazy is when the people around me who have never seen a Gonzaga game other than the tournament start with the trash talk. It will take a while for the pain to go away for me.

Its going to be a long off season, this won't change anything about how I feel about the team but man its hard.

Saxon_zag
03-24-2013, 11:03 AM
At some point when you keep underachieving come tournament time, it's more than just luck is against you. Even if that makes you feel better to write come march every year.

Of course Few shouldn't be fired but he does need to take a look at how we are doing things in the tournament. Team was so tight

JAGzag
03-24-2013, 11:35 AM
The positive attitudes are great, but I think most of you are in denial about how bad this loss is. ESPN is calling this the worst loss of the program's history and I have to agree. This team set themselves up so well for a big run - the table was set and they blew it. Blame Few, blame some injury or lady luck. The truth is this loss is not just some loss, it was a blown golden opportunity to take this program to the next level.

Ezag
03-24-2013, 11:41 AM
The positive attitudes are great, but I think most of you are in denial about how bad this loss is. ESPN is calling this the worst loss of the program's history and I have to agree. This team set themselves up so well for a big run - the table was set and they blew it. Blame Few, blame some injury or lady luck. The truth is this loss is not just some loss, it was a blown golden opportunity to take this program to the next level.

I agree

Zags11
03-24-2013, 11:55 AM
There were two fire Coach Few threads on here last night that carried over into today. Also, one less than great game is not going to change the perception of a scout on a player. His 2nd half was much better than the first.

I KNOW you aren't speaking on my thread. IF so, show me where i said Fire Few. I said he is stuck at sw16 and has poor 3pt defense strategy. THAT is factual. People who get too defensive on coach or players are immature one's.

Few 3pt defense strategy allowed 47% this march, and last 5 tournament losses, opponents shot 52% from 3. That is factual and factual is me stating Few is a great guy but a good coach.

You want to speak on people, quote them and make it factual and quit making assumptions.

Mr Vulture
03-24-2013, 01:17 PM
I would say the worst loss in the programs history was the UCLA game when Morrison was here.

Mr Vulture
03-24-2013, 01:23 PM
I KNOW you aren't speaking on my thread. IF so, show me where i said Fire Few. I said he is stuck at sw16 and has poor 3pt defense strategy. THAT is factual. People who get too defensive on coach or players are immature one's.

Few 3pt defense strategy allowed 47% this march, and last 5 tournament losses, opponents shot 52% from 3. That is factual and factual is me stating Few is a great guy but a good coach.

You want to speak on people, quote them and make it factual and quit making assumptions.

I suggest you chill out and quit making "assumptions" yourself because I never pointed to anyone specific. If you doubt people were saying that Few needed to go, do a search on the threads and you will see I am not making it up. Further, calling me immature because I don't agree with some opinions on Coach Few shows you to be exactly what you are calling me...immature.

In the end, I have no idea what you personally posted but you seem awful defensive about it when my statement was general in nature.

BTB
03-24-2013, 01:34 PM
At some point when you keep underachieving come tournament time, it's more than just luck is against you. Even if that makes you feel better to write come march every year.

Of course Few shouldn't be fired but he does need to take a look at how we are doing things in the tournament. Team was so tight

We don't keep underacheiving in the tournament, I don't understand why people say things like that. We consistently perform too our seed almost every year. The last time we lost to a lower seed was Davidson with Steph Curry.

Arneson
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
I feel like it's a day of mourning that reoccurs every year, although this years hype and expectations definitely added some extra weight. Olynyk returning is the only thing that would make me feel better at this point, but can't blame him for leaving should he decide to.

Zags11
03-24-2013, 01:41 PM
I suggest you chill out and quit making "assumptions" yourself because I never pointed to anyone specific. If you doubt people were saying that Few needed to go, do a search on the threads and you will see I am not making it up. Further, calling me immature because I don't agree with some opinions on Coach Few shows you to be exactly what you are calling me...immature.

In the end, I have no idea what you personally posted but you seem awful defensive about it when my statement was general in nature.

I apologize then

Saxon_zag
03-24-2013, 02:11 PM
We don't keep underacheiving in the tournament, I don't understand why people say things like that. We consistently perform too our seed almost every year. The last time we lost to a lower seed was Davidson with Steph Curry.

Eh ok well we just don't perform in the tournament then no matter the seed. CAn't make a run with the underdog role trying to kill the giant (ohio state last year) and can't win a game with an easier path to the elite 8 than anyone could have ever imagined at the start of the season

MJ777
03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Eh ok well we just don't perform in the tournament then no matter the seed. CAn't make a run with the underdog role trying to kill the giant (ohio state last year) and can't win a game with an easier path to the elite 8 than anyone could have ever imagined at the start of the season

Had we had beaten WSU somehow we probably would have been "Marshall Hendersoned" in the Sweet 16. The 3 ball is the Zags Kryptonite.

sylean
03-24-2013, 02:32 PM
if he wants to play in the nba, imo, he should stay....he'll stay, and still make plenty of money and be much more prepared.....but its his decision...good luck to him no matter what..