PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, GU Boards

RenoZag
03-24-2013, 08:43 AM
The basketball season is over. Yes, there are still games to be played, brackets to follow, a championship to be decided, but for fans of Gonzagaís menís basketball team the final buzzer has sounded and the final box score of the season has been registered.

The latest chapter in Gonzagaís basketball journey ended in Salt Lake City at the hands of the Wichita State Shockers, a hungry team from the Missouri Valley Conference who was out to erase the sting of their 2012 first round defeat as a five seed at the hands of 12 seed Virginia Commonwealth.

Following the Zags through the pre-season hype and hopes of anticipation through the start of practice, the out of conference schedule, league games, and the not-to-be-taken-for-granted NCAA tournament is my last vestige of youthful exuberance.

Now, in my mid 50ís, lifeís realities, adjustments, and enthusiasms have altered my view of the sporting world landscape. Thereís not as much time to devote to fan hood and at times it feels a trivial pursuit when compared to the obligations of family, work, and health. These competing interests demand a chosen pass time that gives the greatest return on time invested and why I happily follow my alma mater's basketball team.

I want to thank the members of the GUB for sharing their passion for Gonzaga basketball in this forum. Your insights, observations, and opinions shape this fanís view of a wonderful game played by young men who represent the name on the front of the jersey with distinction. Following the Zags and sharing your passion for Gonzaga basketball is more worthwhile because of this community. I look forward to doing so for many seasons to come.

Regards,

Reno

Pargo the Destroyer
03-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Here here.

gamagin
03-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Well said.

Thanks and best regards.

75Zag
03-24-2013, 08:52 AM
For better or worse, perspective seems to come with old(er) age. I celebrated my 18th birthday as a freshman at GU just before the start of the GU 1971-72 BB season and have rooted for GU ever since. Like all of you I am extremely frustrated that the rosy predictions for GU in this NCAA Tournament turned out to be smoke and mirrors. But hopefully life will go on and we can all meet back here again in September or October to talk about this stuff.

Have a great summer everyone. I am going to teach my grandson to fly fish this summer. A lot less stressful than watching GU in the NCAAs.

Signing off until September.

Go Bulldogs!

HRZag
03-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Thank you Reno for an articulate post that rises above the smoke and chaos elsewhere on the board.

It was a (another) crushing, discouraging ending to our fine season, not how any of us expected it to end.

I know how bad I felt last night and even this morning. I cannot imagine how Few or Kelly or Elias or David feel this morning.

Surprisingly, the sun has come up this morning and I look forward to getting out on my bike.

We all need something to look forward to.

This board, the team we follow and the school we love are something I still look forward to.

Thanks again, Reno, and 75 and GoZags and all our brethren, even Jazz.

Go Zags.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2013, 09:03 AM
alas, something we can all agree on. well said. thx, HR :)

TheBeast
03-24-2013, 09:05 AM
That right there is why RenoZag is my spirit animal.

McZag
03-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Excellent Reno.

Thank you Mod's for providing a clean, thoughtful vehicle for managing the high and low emotions produced by college basketball.

Your hours of dedication are well noted and very appreciated.

My Donegal tweed cap is off to you for all you do. Thanks again for a splendid season of posting excellence.

Zag79
03-25-2013, 01:26 AM
Great post Reno, cheers!

Bocco
03-25-2013, 05:37 AM
thanks Reno, great post....and thanks for the job you and all the other mods do