PDA

View Full Version : The beat goes on: Pacific head coach search

StocktonZag
03-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Coach G. mentioned in the Stockton Record as a candidate for UOP's next head coach, a search that will 'begin in earnest' this week. Anyone have any idea if he (or Tommy) are going to pursue this opportunity?

Spike94
03-24-2013, 09:02 AM
I think it would be a good job. Good arena, not great. Good area to recruit. Can't wait to get my season tickets for next year. WCC basketball 35 miles from my house will be awesome.

Birddog
03-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Ben Howland is available.

vandalzag
03-24-2013, 09:43 AM
If not you would think that Ray would be strong candidate.

spike_jr
03-24-2013, 09:48 AM
I would like to encourage Giacoletti to pursue this job. To me, it would be a win-win (although he might have to take a pay cut).

Birddog
03-24-2013, 10:17 AM
On the average, assistants don't like to take jobs with another school in their former boss's conference. There are exceptions of course like Grier, but it is not that common. The Pacific job would be perfect for Howland to rehab.

vandalzag
03-24-2013, 10:41 AM
On the average, assistants don't like to take jobs with another school in their former boss's conference. There are exceptions of course like Grier, but it is not that common. The Pacific job would be perfect for Howland to rehab.

That would be a huge step down for an ego guy like Howland. I see him looking for another BCS job or doing the TV thing for a year, especially since the Fox network will be looking for ex coaches to fill the airwaves.

RenoZag
03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Howland's getting a huge buyout. . .perhaps he takes a year away to recharge his batteries. Hard to see him moving promptly to another slot, which he would need to do for recruiting, continuity, etc.

The UCLA meat grinder spits out another sausage.

StocktonZag
03-24-2013, 01:55 PM
The new (within last 2 years) UOP AD, Ted Leland, was AD for years at Stanford, and was instrumental in moving UOP into WCC. He is looking for up and coming coach with 'private' school experience. Why not Tommy Lloyd?

MJ777
03-24-2013, 01:57 PM
The new (within last 2 years) UOP AD, Ted Leland, was AD for years at Stanford, and was instrumental in moving UOP into WCC. He is looking for up and coming coach with 'private' school experience. Why not Tommy Lloyd?

No...No..No.

Stay TL. I hope no other GU assistant will take a WCC job unless GU is leaving the WCC which I doubt will happen.

Tetonka Test
03-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Did LMU ever get a new coach?

gonwick
03-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Tommy has been designated as heir apparent to Few, I doubt he would go. But then, Grier was and did.

DixieZag
03-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Howland's getting a huge buyout. . .perhaps he takes a year away to recharge his batteries. Hard to see him moving promptly to another slot, which he would need to do for recruiting, continuity, etc.

The UCLA meat grinder spits out another sausage.

good point.

If he took a job, it would seem likely that he would only take the type that would be a special circumstance and not likely to be available in the next couple of years.

Interesting post about coach G (though I do hope that Bone is kept at WSU, I don't think he is the problem), it seems to me that he hit Utah at just the wrong time period, he deserves another shot at a mid-major or low BCS type position.

thickman1
03-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Tommy has been designated as heir apparent to Few, I doubt he would go. But then, Grier was and did.

So did Leon.

DixieZag
03-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Speaking of Leon.

If he were smart (and he is), he would be getting BSU to re-sign his contract right now b/c I would think that he might get some interest for elevating that program.

MDABE80
03-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Boise State's growing. Good football.....now Leon's moving the bball program. I think he's in a pretty good spot.

StocktonZag
03-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Stockton Record reports this AM that the new coach will be announced at a press conference this afternoon. The 'search' went as far as the office next door to Coach Thomason, to assistant coach Ron Verlin. They liked his recruiting class etc., etc.
Interesting side note, Verlin's twin brother is? Don Verlin, University of Idaho's head coach.

BMAN
03-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Coach G named as candidate for Drake job

Birddog
03-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Coach G named as candidate for Drake job
That would be close to his roots.