PDA

View Full Version : --- Kyle Dranginis ---

raise the zag
03-24-2013, 04:58 AM
You know it when you see "it".

The kid has it; he's a baller.

KD looked great out there last night: calm, cool, collected. A smart player.

Understand what needs to be done and executes. He made a few mistakes throughout the season, yet it was due to over-thinking on occassion.

The moment his confidence clicks with his skills, and he is given the proverbial "green light"...watch out, folks.

My only hope is we manage him correctly, meaning we don't let him go. Obviously Gerard Coleman and him will be competing for the 3rd guard spot and also competing against Stockton for back-up PG role as well.

Again, I hope Coach Few gives him a chance going forward -- he has the highest ceiling of any guard, imho. Brings more to the table than most. 6'5", good length, great handles, can shoot, put it on the floor, capable defender, list goes on...

I would be devastated if he pulls a Spangler and decides the depth chart is too deep at his position. Of course Coleman is going to get some run, Stockton will continue to be Few's failsafe in crunch time, and not to mention our current starters.

I must admit, I'm concerned we overlook Dranginis. That said, he deserves a shot and hope he gets one next season.

DixieZag
03-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Agreed about KD's potential.

He needs PT to develop.

KD's development will almost certainly have to come at the expense of DS but the future of the program depends upon him getting it. There may be some growing pains early but it has to happen.

I hope that when the post season meetings take place, Few looks at how he is going to maximize the talent that is on that bench - - he may have to play 4 guard rotations next year and KD with his length would be perfect to do it with.

bartruff1
03-24-2013, 05:38 AM
I hope he stays...

NEC26
03-24-2013, 06:42 AM
I hope he stays...

Huh?

ZagHouse
03-24-2013, 06:57 AM
This is the oddest bit of speculation I think I've read. Why would he leave? So he can sit out another year? He's a freshman, who looked overwhelmed in a bunch of games, but who I am sure enjoyed the ride with his teammates. Kyle knows he has work to do, and just because you would consider leaving if you were him, only makes it your fantasy not his.

bartruff1
03-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Huh? He might see a better opportunity to play somewhere else...they only have a handful of years to play college basketball...

jazzdelmar
03-24-2013, 07:01 AM
other than lewis and clark and a handful of other moments i saw nothing that supports the belief he will be a major contributor. more deer in the headlights than hungry bear, he always seemed to want to get rid of the ball the moment he got it. passed on as many shots per minute as hart. sorry, i dont see anything there and agree he may prosper elsewhere. cant see him taking minutes from coleman or the security blanket next yr.

zagco
03-24-2013, 07:37 AM
He did not play nearly enough for Zagco to evaluate. Zagco eschews evaluating players that are not allowed to play very much. Plenty of players need time to establish flows and rhythm.

NEC26
03-24-2013, 07:41 AM
He did seem hesitant but I have no doubt he can improve and get past that with more playing time. I highly highly doubt he leaves this team.

john montana
03-24-2013, 09:07 AM
He can play. Taking him out of the game last night was likely the single biggest coaching mistake of few's career. He may not be the second coming but he was the best option we had last night.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2013, 09:09 AM
He can play. Taking him out of the game last night was likely the single biggest coaching mistake of few's career. He may not be the second coming but he was the best option we had last night.

wow, thats saying a lot....:) the list is long....

SteeleMan
03-24-2013, 09:13 AM
He did seem hesitant but I have no doubt he can improve and get past that with more playing time. I highly highly doubt he leaves this team.

The entire team seemed hesitant.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-24-2013, 09:14 AM
You know it when you see "it".

The kid has it; he's a baller.

KD looked great out there last night: calm, cool, collected. A smart player.

Understand what needs to be done and executes. He made a few mistakes throughout the season, yet it was due to over-thinking on occassion.

The moment his confidence clicks with his skills, and he is given the proverbial "green light"...watch out, folks.

My only hope is we manage him correctly, meaning we don't let him go. Obviously Gerard Coleman and him will be competing for the 3rd guard spot and also competing against Stockton for back-up PG role as well.

Again, I hope Coach Few gives him a chance going forward -- he has the highest ceiling of any guard, imho. Brings more to the table than most. 6'5", good length, great handles, can shoot, put it on the floor, capable defender, list goes on...

I would be devastated if he pulls a Spangler and decides the depth chart is too deep at his position. Of course Coleman is going to get some run, Stockton will continue to be Few's failsafe in crunch time, and not to mention our current starters.

I must admit, I'm concerned we overlook Dranginis. That said, he deserves a shot and hope he gets one next season.

don't know what you are seeing ...but KD looks scared and out of sorts, unsure .....and from what I've seen ..he does not have D1 ball handling for a guard ...he really needs to develop those skills. More playing time and more confidence ..but now we are talking the "chicken or the egg" thing

spike_jr
03-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Jazz - I think half the problem with KD is that he knew he had a very short leash. We have all seen it before. He plays with one eye on the court and the other one looking at the bench. One mistake gets you sent to the end of the bench for the rest if the game if not longer. I personally think he has a great upside and three more years to prove it. And I do know when he played last night, a seven point deficit turned in to a seven point advantage.....

Hoopaholic
03-24-2013, 09:19 AM
I see a great potential upside for draino....some quality court time some extra time in weight room and watchout

Mr Vulture
03-24-2013, 09:20 AM
There is no reason for him to leave. Next year I would expect him to get a solid 15-20 minutes per game and even more the following year. He has some of he most upside on the team and I wouldn't be shocked if he jumps DS on the depth chart next year.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2013, 09:26 AM
There is no reason for him to leave. Next year I would expect him to get a solid 15-20 minutes per game and even more the following year. He has some of he most upside on the team and I wouldn't be shocked if he jumps DS on the depth chart next year.

Hope so but don't count on anyone jumping the Security Blanket next yr.

Mr Vulture
03-24-2013, 09:31 AM
I know, that's a fear of mine as well.

gonwick
03-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Where do his minutes come from? That's what worries me. The inverted schedule has also stymied his development.

Unless few gives him stockton's minutes, I don't know where he gets time given Gary, Coleman, and Kevin.

As others noted above while I slowly typed on my phone.

vandalzag
03-24-2013, 09:41 AM
other than lewis and clark and a handful of other moments i saw nothing that supports the belief he will be a major contributor. more deer in the headlights than hungry bear, he always seemed to want to get rid of the ball the moment he got it. passed on as many shots per minute as hart. sorry, i dont see anything there and agree he may prosper elsewhere. cant see him taking minutes from coleman or the security blanket next yr.

Writing a kid off after 1 year. Good thing you never saw your favorite players (Bankhead and Dickau) play their first year of college ball. You would have written both off completely. Nostrajazzmus is alive and well.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Writing a kid off after 1 year. Good thing you never saw your favorite players (Bankhead and Dickau) play their first year of college ball. You would have written both off completely. Nostrajazzmus is alive and well.

I think you meant Cassandra-jazz. Get your insults right.

vandalzag
03-24-2013, 10:26 AM
I think you meant Cassandra-jazz. Get your insults right.

No Cassandra could actually predict things, Nostradamus is more fitting.

scott257
03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
I must have missed something. Did he score? Did he force any turnovers? How many assists did he have?

I really hope with time that he develops into the player you think you saw.

spike_jr
03-24-2013, 10:52 AM
I must have missed something. Did he score? Did he force any turnovers? How many assists did he have?

I really hope with time that he develops into the player you think you saw.

I saw the kid come into the game when we were losing and he left when we had our largest lead. Coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe he did things that don't show up in the box score.

scott257
03-24-2013, 11:02 AM
I will answer my own question. He didn't take a shot - not one. He had one rebound, and one assist. This was all in 8 minutes of playing time. He was statistically insignificant.

Hoopaholic
03-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Take yesterday for example:
8 minutes he handled the ball against the press with no turnovers
He attacked the gaps causing defense to collapse thus opening up two ball reversal open looks for a shooter..pango in this example
Had a rebound and had an assist

Defense had to honor his shooting ability and was no longer sagging off as they did with others

His downfall was he did not pull the trigger when open but I firmly put that in the "role" that he was asked to fill all year and very difficult iN a heat of moment to turn that role off

His upside is his court vision, his relative length his ball handling skills and his shooting ability

I fully expect to see him push for solid 15-18 minutes next year to provide solid backup for relief to pango and bell.....

His two downfalls in my book....strength upper body wise to routinely battle for rebounding and lack of consistent playing time. Both can change with hard work over the summer

The unknown......can he consistently shoot off the pass from deep

Hoopaholic
03-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Statistically insignificant? First there is more to the game than pure stats... But getting a rebound and assist is not meaningless in a tough game such as we saw

FuManShoes
03-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Jesus Christ. Give the kid a chance. He showed some good things in spot minutes and also showed he has a long ways to go with his handling, decision making, etc. He's nowhere near as bad as you make him out to be, nor as polished as some others on this thread suggest, but at least they are giving him the benefit of the doubt. You, are being ... you. And while that may be fine in most cases, being a sour #### bent on throwing a freshman under the bus is just poor form. Maybe allow for some evidence to present itself before you decide he's a bust who should transfer.

scott257
03-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Statistically insignificant? First there is more to the game than pure stats... But getting a rebound and assist is not meaningless in a tough game such as we saw

One rebound, one assist and one foul. Too tentative to take an open shot when he had it. I was trying to be nice, really he failed to contribute in a positive way.

I hope he gets it together and contributes in a significant and meaningful way. If that is all you expect for eight minutes, it is a wonder we weren't really blown out last night. We shouldn't be patting a guy on the back when the best you can say is he didn't turn the ball over. These guys need to be productive in a positive way and for his time last night he was not productive. You can make up all of the pithy statements you want about there being more to the game than the stat sheet, but in all honesty, that is bull. Teams don't win games when they have players that aren't putting numbers on the board.

Hoopaholic
03-24-2013, 11:38 AM
I think we can agree to disagree

spike_jr
03-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Scott - he played 8 minutes. He came in when we were down 4 and we were up 4 when he left. I believe WSU made one 3 pt shot when he was in there. Would you rather have KD or DS out there guarding the 3 pt line? He was as effective as stockton on offense and probably more effective on D. Just my 2 cents.....

Vanzagger
03-24-2013, 11:51 AM
On the flip side David prob got some assists but we were -25 or more when he played.

bostonzagfan
03-24-2013, 11:59 AM
kd should have been given more time during the year to develop.

bartruff1
03-24-2013, 01:25 PM
The best players in that situation play...it is calculus...not addition or subtraction..

Hogan
03-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Kyle brings some nice skills to the table but but with the type of player/athlete he is he has to be a very good shooter to be an effective player at this level. He just hasn't shown that. I watch him in pre-game warm ups and he is much closer to Stockton and Edi as a shooter than he is Pangos,Bell or Barhnam.While perhaps he just isn't comfortable yet I subscribe to the Bill Parcells theory that "we are what our record says we are." Kyle shot 29% from 3 this year and 50% from the foul line(12 for 24). ( To be fair he did shoot49% from 2 pouint range.)