PDA

View Full Version : Next Year. . . A new hope

DixieZag
03-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Might as well look ahead a little.

Clearly the expectations next year will be lower. Good thing, too b/c it will be a long long time before the media embraces the idea of the Zags being a serious national contender again.

So much depends upon how the transfer players work out but I think that one of the keys to next year will be decided in the next few months. Can the team keep Karno on campus all summer? Elias and Kelly can help next year's team so much by talking to the big man and telling him exactly how important it is.

Karno is a player, he really is - he has the hands and feel of a guard. He might well be ahead of where Kelly was at this point, not saying he will be better than Kelly, but he could be awefully good. But, to get close he has to stay and work with the guys all summer.

Sam needs to look at tape of the Wichita game all summer. He had no place in this game, none and he needs to see that. He too, needs to stay and press himself on defense and rebounding.

BYU will be up next year, while SMC will be down. I see nothing that shows me why SMC would be favored to be higher than 3rd or 4th next year. USD will be up. We should be in a two way race with BYU in a two bid league.

I would schedule as tough an OOC season as possible. Our "mold" is getting a little stale. Even if we risk "needing to win the conference" to get a bid, we might be well served taking some risks in the future. We have gotten into to much of a "pattern" and the only way to break through the pattern is through risk, nothing is free. In that respect, I see a new hope. Since we will be the butt of every "number one" joke, go back to our comfort zone, go back to being the true under dog that is pissed off and willing to throw a few. . . no better time than when losing 3 of 5 starters.

I think we will tie BYU for the WCC Championship with 2 losses and win the tournament and go to the tournament as a 6ish seed. . . . and win 3 games!!!!

gonwick
03-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Great point about pk needing to stick around and work out, with insight from EH. I desperately hope there is a juco or transfer big in the works. Stockton's minutes need to go to kd, asuming that kd has a future with this program. Otherwise, we will be in the same position next year, with kd uncomfortable in the rotation. If kd gets no time, it is a bad sign for the program, as it means he has not progressed or will not get the chance to. Either one is bad news. I would expect a low 20s ranking at the beginning and end of the season with an exit in the first or second round. Things change if Kelly stays. Hope Coleman meshes well. Wonder how much it will hurt to have nunez on the shelf until conference play, when we vanish off the national radar unless ranked.

Zags11
03-24-2013, 12:36 AM
With coleman tonight we win. I just try to change the outcome in my head. Doesnt seem right.

bigblahla
03-24-2013, 02:58 AM
Can't sleep at 3:46am. Wonder why?

Don't want to be a wet blanket but.....Karnowski is two years away from being what we need and could leave before he gets there. Edwards will be no help next year.

Dower will never play "D" like we need it's not his strong suit.

Our front line will be inexperienced and not very tough at all.

Coleman will be a plus but Nunez is an unknown as to ability and toughness.

Depending on our schedule I see us going backwards as any team we face with a solid front line will give us fits and our guards will still be undersized. Could easily lose 5-6 in the OOC portion maybe more depending on match-ups.

Can't see us getting through the WCC without 2-3 losses minimum.

If we play an OOC schedule similar to this year I don't think we will reach 25 wins before post season play. Predicting 22-7 before the WCC tournament.

Of course I am suffering from major depression and the anxiety of our season ending prematurely so it's quite possible I'm wrong.

Go!! Zags!!!

Oregonzagnut
03-24-2013, 03:11 AM
The fact is, Few needs to learn and change his execution in the post season. We talk about the players execution all the time, but the coach (and staff) needs to elevate in March just as much as the players do. How did they allow the team to come out so flat and un-animated against Southern? How did our staff allow that doubt to carry through to WSU? We had the skill AND athleticism. Not the confidence and faith.

Few allowed our guys to be more worried than ready. You could see it in their eyes for 80 minutes. I am pro Few 110%, but he needs to grow and learn just like he expects his players to.

bartruff1
03-24-2013, 04:28 AM
Or else what ?? Oregon, I assume you are not in a position to threaten or demand things from Mark and the Staff and are just expressing your opinion.....for what it is worth.

BJZags
03-24-2013, 07:34 AM
Next year the Zags should still be a pretty good team by WCC standards, and compete for both the regular season and conference title. Question is whether we'll have enough quality wins in OOC schedule to get an at-large bid. With growing pains at the start of the season with new and emerging players learning to play together, I can easily see 8 or 9 losses. My prediction: We are second in the conference, lose to BYU in the conference tournament, and slip into the dance as one of the First Four play-in games.

U Zig, I Zag
03-24-2013, 07:45 AM
We lost the WSU game because when things started going our way (getting to the hoop, getting foul calls and then pulling ahead on the scoreboard) Mark Few insisted that we slow the game down.

I narrated what was going to happen to my buddies that I was watching with and it went down just like that.

Mark knows how to win, certainly. But the killer edge he needed last night to push our players to stomp their necks wasn't there.

Next year will be different, maybe we have more length and play from the outside in. Barring a total absence from the tourney, any tourney action will be better than this ####.

deathchina
03-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Next year we win the WCC based on the strength of strong guard play.

We're gonna have to play some smaller lineups but who in the WCC is going to punish us for that?

I don't care if we drop 2-3 WCC games, just want to see the team peaking at the right time, playing loose and confident in the NCAA tourney, and improving during the WCC season.

And a little more emphasis on defending the 3 point line please.

BJZags
03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
I don't care if we drop 2-3 WCC games, just want to see the team peaking at the right time,

The biggest problem with playing in the WCC-type conferences as many have stated, is the reality of an inverted schedule. It is impossible to be "peaking" by the NCAA tournament when the best teams on our schedule are played in December. I argue that this is one reason why we look tight/nervous/ etc. come tournament play.

MickMick
03-24-2013, 10:52 AM
A one seed will never happen again from the WCC.

Conference brethren will hate GU forever because of it.

Every team in this conference will take the most difficult path from this point forward.

MickMick
03-24-2013, 10:53 AM
The biggest problem with playing in the WCC-type conferences as many have stated, is the reality of an inverted schedule. It is impossible to be "peaking" by the NCAA tournament when the best teams on our schedule are played in December. I argue that this is one reason why we look tight/nervous/ etc. come tournament play.

Absolutely correct. That and the long wait after the WCC tournament.

GU wins Old Spice twice and Maui once. They can win those tournaments.

GU peaking is about building resume.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Next Year. . . A new hope

When I read the title, I was hoping for a Star Wars theme. ;)

Nonetheless, well said, Dixie.

Tetonka Test
03-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Might as well look ahead a little.

Clearly the expectations next year will be lower. Good thing, too b/c it will be a long long time before the media embraces the idea of the Zags being a serious national contender again.

So much depends upon how the transfer players work out but I think that one of the keys to next year will be decided in the next few months. Can the team keep Karno on campus all summer? Elias and Kelly can help next year's team so much by talking to the big man and telling him exactly how important it is.

Karno is a player, he really is - he has the hands and feel of a guard. He might well be ahead of where Kelly was at this point, not saying he will be better than Kelly, but he could be awefully good. But, to get close he has to stay and work with the guys all summer.

Sam needs to look at tape of the Wichita game all summer. He had no place in this game, none and he needs to see that. He too, needs to stay and press himself on defense and rebounding.

BYU will be up next year, while SMC will be down. I see nothing that shows me why SMC would be favored to be higher than 3rd or 4th next year. USD will be up. We should be in a two way race with BYU in a two bid league.

I would schedule as tough an OOC season as possible. Our "mold" is getting a little stale. Even if we risk "needing to win the conference" to get a bid, we might be well served taking some risks in the future. We have gotten into to much of a "pattern" and the only way to break through the pattern is through risk, nothing is free. In that respect, I see a new hope. Since we will be the butt of every "number one" joke, go back to our comfort zone, go back to being the true under dog that is pissed off and willing to throw a few. . . no better time than when losing 3 of 5 starters.

I think we will tie BYU for the WCC Championship with 2 losses and win the tournament and go to the tournament as a 6ish seed. . . . and win 3 games!!!!

I think both BYU and SAINT MARY's are worse next season.

BYU loses Davies to graduation, and Saint Mary's loses Delly. I'm not sure either school has good recruits lined up as replacements.

MJ777
03-24-2013, 02:35 PM
I think both BYU and SAINT MARY's are worse next season.

BYU loses Davies to graduation, and Saint Mary's loses Delly. I'm not sure either school has good recruits lined up as replacements.

Are you saying that the WCC will be even more mediocre next year........Oh boy.