PDA

View Full Version : If Few Were Gone

bostonzagfan
03-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Without MF, there is a chance GU would get worse and there is a chance GU would get better. It is a matter of opinion on what the percentages are for each and a matter of preference on if the risk would be worth it.

Zags11
03-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Wouldnt want few gone in a sense. Great guy and great for the program and community. We won't know for certain, just like when Monson left. People thought we were done.

deathchina
03-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Few stays as he should, he has earned himself at least a half dozen more early upsets in Tourney before questions should be asked.

Ekrub
03-23-2013, 11:33 PM
He has won 8/10 games he has coached. Is it even a discussion?

bostonzagfan
03-23-2013, 11:55 PM
He has won 8/10 games he has coached. Is it even a discussion?

would you take 7/10 if it meant missing the tourney every so often but going further every so often? would you take 6/10 with those stipulations? its a discussion.

72Prep
03-24-2013, 12:21 AM
would you take 7/10 if it meant missing the tourney every so often but going further every so often? would you take 6/10 with those stipulations? its a discussion.

your "IF" scenarios are not based on anything but fantasies and guesses.

Reality is 8 out 10. I'll take reality any day.

CodeCobalt
03-24-2013, 12:45 AM
You all are absolutely crazy and rather typical fans for thinking we'd do better without Mark Few. Lets be honest, without Few Gonzaga probably wouldn't (and have been) the franchise that we have been. Maybe we could use a better assistant coach to pick-up where Few's weaknesses begin, but Few is a very large reason why we have become the winning team we have.

IMO Our biggest problem is that we don't, and haven't had the size needed to really take control of a game vs more physical opponents. Maybe Few does play too conservative in the conference, but he has done Gonzaga and Spokane GREAT. It's hard recruiting 5 star players to a small jesuit school in Spokane. Lets be real, there's not much in Spokane to attract star players. Few has gotten great recruits here, and on top of that he milks every last drop out of the recruits we get. I hope and expect next seasons schedule to be the toughest we've faced yet.

All of the gonzaga hate is absolutely disgusting. they are an amazing team and are full of very heartful, strong players.

I'm heartbroken that gonzaga lost, but I'm even more heartbroken and disgusted by the hatred coming from this site.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-24-2013, 01:59 AM
I'm embarrassed that this thread exists.

zag67
03-24-2013, 08:43 AM
You are crazy

Birddog
03-24-2013, 08:59 AM
This thread smacks of something one might find in the Bleacher Report.

Spike94
03-24-2013, 09:03 AM
End this stupid thread now. Not even a question.

Gonzagasaur
03-24-2013, 09:08 AM
I have to agree with the majority here... Mark Few is a remarkable coach who swept the conference and nearly the preason as well. We all talked about how WSU was a team that was a nightmare matchup before the game, and now, after we lose by a couple points, its time to start new? Oh he** no!

On a separate note.... Kelly.... Please don't go pro just yet!!!!!!!!!

gonwick
03-24-2013, 09:24 AM
If this is the worst "fire few" thread out there, we have the most reasonable fan base ever. The op is constructed as a hypothetical. Basically a thought exercise rather than a screed. My take on it anyway.

TacomaZAG
03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
I decided to put this comment here as opposed to starting a new thread because this "fire Few" stuff is insane. The perceived shortcomings of the program have nothing to do with Few. The reason we are even having this discussion is totally due to Few and the coaches before him, and what they have built in Spokane.

Reality Check: Spokane is NEVER going to be a hotbed for college basketball recruits. GU recruits very well regionally (minus Seattle proper except for GBJ) and internationally, but that's pretty much it. There are a few exceptions like Pargo and Daye, but they are rare exceptions. We are never going to consistently get the mid-west and east coast guys due to the schools in those guy's back yards.

Take a look at the run that started in '99. It was fueled by local/regional talent like Casey Calvary from Bellermine in Tacoma, Matt Santangelo from Portland, Blake Stepp from Oregon, etc. Add to that list Morrison from Mead in Spokane, Olynyk and Sacre from Western Canada, and KP from Eastern Canada. Sprinkle in occasional good overseas recruits like Ronny Turiaf, JP Batista (JC transfer who panned out), and Elias and that's the recruiting reach for GU. Heck, even John Stockton grew up only 5 blocks from the campus.

The '99 run was "lightning in a bottle", the Morrison years were based on a single individual who exploded onto the scene for one to two years and had a capable supporting cast, and this year was based on a once in a generation junior year redshirt who lead the team, again with a capable supporting cast.

Other than that, the biggest thing working against GU is the conference we are in. The WCC will never prepare the guys (or the coaching staff) for the wars in March, and there is nowhere for us to go. Look at the past few years in the WCC, with St. Mary's as the only real competition (they are softer than we are) and the fact that they will fall back to mediocrity now that their Australian line ends with Delly's graduation and the upcoming sanctions. BYU is a short term conference addition, as they will be gone as soon as their football team finds a home.

The #1 ranking and #1 seed are, likely, once in a lifetime acheivements for the program, and heights reached by very few programs, BCS or otherwise. Appreciate the consistency, the yearly trip to the dance, and the occasional second weekend game. We aren't one of the Big Boys for all the above stated reasons, and that's the reality of GU basketball. Wishing it was different does not make it so...................and trying to renovate the house by burning it down rarely works out as planned.

I, for one, love GU basketball exactly as it is. Appreciate the incremental improvements, the overall consistency of the program, and the quality of the young men we cheer for every year. Here's a basketball stat for you - during the Few era, every GU basketball player who has used up his eligibility, save one, has graduated. Compare that to ANY program in the country that has accomplished what Few has.

The program isn't perfect (none are), but we are still the instruction manual for how to do it as a non-BCS basketball program.

With regard to all this "Fire Few" talk, be careful what you wish for..........

Go ZAGS

exclusivelee
03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Without MF, there is a chance GU would get worse and there is a chance GU would get better. It is a matter of opinion on what the percentages are for each and a matter of preference on if the risk would be worth it.

:argh: I can't believe you have the audacity to create such a thread.

Without Mark Few, the the Gonzaga basketball program goes to complete garbage.

Do you actually have any good coach in mind that would want to come to Spokane to coach at a small school and replicate what Mark Few has done for our program?

Gonzaga isn't even in a good basketball conference, so attaining a good replacement for Mark Few would be unthinkable.

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Without Mark Few, the the Gonzaga basketball program goes to complete garbage.Do you actually have any good coach in mind that would want to come to Spokane to coach at a small school and replicate what Mark Few has done for our program?

Gonzaga isn't even in a good basketball conference, so attaining a good replacement for Mark Few would be unthinkable.

Other than emotion what do you base that on? We've been to one Elight Eight. Newsflash : mark Few was not the head coach of that team.

He's a great coach, but he's not a god.

vandalzag
03-24-2013, 10:11 AM
If you want an example of what the loss of a good coach does to a program, look at the fiasco down in Pullman after Tony B left. That is all you have to know. Few is not perfect but anybody who thinks the program would have been here without him at the helm the last 14 years is ignorant.
People in the know understand that the 99 run, that while Monson was the face of the program, Few was his equal in all aspects of coaching the team that year.

As was said in another thread, the only positive to him leaving would be opportunity to purchase tickets for a game 10 minutes prior to tip off.

MickMick
I'm wondering if this last game will seriously affect Mark Few's perception of GU.

Perhaps he wants to be in a position to pull in top US talent after giving it a great shot.

Most BCS fans of middlin programs would jump for joy if he took over.

kclubfounder
The old adage that you don't know much you love something until it is gone will ring loud and clear throughout Zag nation for years and years to come.

jigga5
03-24-2013, 10:13 AM
I decided to put this comment here as opposed to starting a new thread because this "fire Few" stuff is insane. The perceived shortcomings of the program have nothing to do with Few. The reason we are even having this discussion is totally due to Few and the coaches before him, and what they have built in Spokane.

Reality Check: Spokane is NEVER going to be a hotbed for college basketball recruits. GU recruits very well regionally (minus Seattle proper except for GBJ) and internationally, but that's pretty much it. There are a few exceptions like Pargo and Daye, but they are rare exceptions. We are never going to consistently get the mid-west and east coast guys due to the schools in those guy's back yards.

Take a look at the run that started in '99. It was fueled by local/regional talent like Casey Calvary from Bellermine in Tacoma, Matt Santangelo from Portland, Blake Stepp from Oregon, etc. Add to that list Morrison from Mead in Spokane, Olynyk and Sacre from Western Canada, and KP from Eastern Canada. Sprinkle in occasional good overseas recruits like Ronny Turiaf, JP Batista (JC transfer who panned out), and Elias and that's the recruiting reach for GU. Heck, even John Stockton grew up only 5 blocks from the campus.

The '99 run was "lightning in a bottle", the Morrison years were based on a single individual who exploded onto the scene for one to two years and had a capable supporting cast, and this year was based on a once in a generation junior year redshirt who lead the team, again with a capable supporting cast.

Other than that, the biggest thing working against GU is the conference we are in. The WCC will never prepare the guys (or the coaching staff) for the wars in March, and there is nowhere for us to go. Look at the past few years in the WCC, with St. Mary's as the only real competition (they are softer than we are) and the fact that they will fall back to mediocrity now that their Australian line ends with Delly's graduation and the upcoming sanctions. BYU is a short term conference addition, as they will be gone as soon as their football team finds a home.

The #1 ranking and #1 seed are, likely, once in a lifetime acheivements for the program, and heights reached by very few programs, BCS or otherwise. Appreciate the consistency, the yearly trip to the dance, and the occasional second weekend game. We aren't one of the Big Boys for all the above stated reasons, and that's the reality of GU basketball. Wishing it was different does not make it so...................and trying to renovate the house by burning it down rarely works out as planned.

I, for one, love GU basketball exactly as it is. Appreciate the incremental improvements, the overall consistency of the program, and the quality of the young men we cheer for every year. Here's a basketball stat for you - during the Few era, every GU basketball player who has used up his eligibility, save one, has graduated. Compare that to ANY program in the country that has accomplished what Few has.

The program isn't perfect (none are), but we are still the instruction manual for how to do it as a non-BCS basketball program.

Go ZAGS

This is the best post I have seen in regards to these issues. After this post season I have realized to not get my hopes up and just appreciate getting to the dance. Our conference and our recruiting will prevent us from ever competing with the big boys. Maybe every 20 years gonzaga has an elite 8 run like 1999 but our cap seems to be round of 16 or 32

zag944
03-24-2013, 10:19 AM
I think if Mark Few were gone his coach in waiting Tommy Lloyd would do a capable job replacing him. He has done everything he's been asked to for this program wonderfully.

I kind of doubt it would be the doom and gloom scenario the biggest Few enthusiasts think it would be.

I also kind of doubt it would be the massive shift in management and philosophy that the Few doubters seem to want.

spike_jr
03-24-2013, 10:23 AM
The old adage that you don't know much you love something until it is gone will ring loud and clear throughout Zag nation for years and years to come.

Chances are this is true, but this type of opinion is nothing more than speculation. This isn't the same $150k/yr job that Monson left after the 1999 season. Few is making at least $1.5 million and the team flies around in private jets. Do you think Bone is compensated any where near Few or has the support that Few does? How do you know that Izzo doesn't want a more laid back lifestyle or that he doesn't like the weather better here? Maybe he wants to hang out with Jud? The point is nobody knows.

Personally, I am not the biggest MF fan, but I am an advocate for him staying. I am pretty sure we could do better but I KNOW that we could do a whole lot worse. I think we need to do what a lot of Football teams do - new blood on the bench. I would like to see Giacoletti move on and bring in an assistant with a focus on defense.

Bocco
03-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Go ZAGS

TacomaZag great post, I agree completely with everything you posted.

Every time the "Fire Few" talk arises I keep remembering a conversation I had in '99 with someone connected to the Husky coaching staff. I was bemoaning the fact that GU had finally got on the national stage and Monson split for richer pastures. His comment was it isn't Monson leaving you have to worry about, it's Mark Few.

TacomaZag great post, I agree completely with everything you posted.

Throughout this run GU has had over the last 15 years I keep remembering this conversation and thinking how insightful his observation on the importance of Mark Few to the Gonzaga basketball program was.

Post most often, insightful, reasonable, and well thought out posts are always welcome amidst the drivel tossed out by so many.

Vanzagger
03-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Way to think big Tacoma.

The smartest thing Mark ever did was not leave. And good for him. Coaches are hired to be fired in this business

I can see Tommy being the next Dean Smith here or at UCLA.

Mantua
03-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Lol! The knives are coming out now!

I was mulling over the idea of Few being gone just as a fantasy exercise right before I saw this thread, imagining who would be interested in coming to a smaller gym in the WCC in our remote region for less pay. Or would we become a stepping stone for coaches? (That would last for maybe two coaches.) I was also trying to envision how Tommy Lloyd's personality would impact the program if he were head coach. It's fun to think about, but seriously...

bostonzagfan
03-24-2013, 11:38 AM

read that again. it is undeniable that there is a chance gu would get worse and a chance gu would get better, even if you put it at .00000000001%.it is a matter of opinion what you place those percentages at. there is no proven % chance of would gu get worse if few left.

what's embarrassing? that i pointed out that every person has a different opinion on what would happen if the program lost few?

You are crazy

not a single thing in my original post implies that i am crazy. i stated facts. i didn't even state my own opinion. "OMG! Your opinion MIGHT be that GU would be better off without Few! YOU ARE CRAZY". I think thats an over reaction, but I understand as emotions were running high last night.

What about my op was opinionated?

End this stupid thread now. Not even a question.

What is not even a question? My op did not pose a question.

If this is the worst "fire few" thread out there, we have the most reasonable fan base ever. The op is constructed as a hypothetical. Basically a thought exercise rather than a screed. My take on it anyway.

Exactly. I was not saying FIRE FEW! I was not saying WITHOUT FEW WE WILL FALL OF A CLIFF! I was saying that without few, there is a chance for each that is up to opinion.

Without Mark Few, the the Gonzaga basketball program goes to complete garbage.

Do you actually have any good coach in mind that would want to come to Spokane to coach at a small school and replicate what Mark Few has done for our program?

"how dare you have the audacity to suggest that gu has some chance of getting better without few that is a matter of personal opinion?!?! it's 0% and i'm right my opinion is right!"

Chances are this is true, but this type of opinion is nothing more than speculation. This isn't the same $150k/yr job that Monson left after the 1999 season. Few is making at least $1.5 million and the team flies around in private jets. Do you think Bone is compensated any where near Few or has the support that Few does? How do you know that Izzo doesn't want a more laid back lifestyle or that he doesn't like the weather better here? Maybe he wants to hang out with Jud? The point is nobody knows.

Personally, I am not the biggest MF fan, but I am an advocate for him staying. I am pretty sure we could do better but I KNOW that we could do a whole lot worse. I think we need to do what a lot of Football teams do - new blood on the bench. I would like to see Giacoletti move on and bring in an assistant with a focus on defense.

wow someone who responded to the actual post. spikejr recognizes there is a chance we do better and a chance we do worse if few weren't here, and his preference is to not take the risk. an articulate response.

jim77
03-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Fire Few? Serious? The guy has done an outstanding job. The fact that we are even talking about our exit form the tourney is enough....at least we make the tourney....every year. A lot of teams wish they had what we have.....don't screw with success.

Bocco
03-24-2013, 12:08 PM

you forgot one possible outcome - things could stay the same

as for my 2 cents they would get worse, or at best stay the same

MJ777
03-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Hire Mike Hart as a defensive specialist coach, couldn't hurt.

Zags11
03-24-2013, 01:05 PM

So true

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2013, 01:08 PM

He'd be a great GA hire to eventually be groomed as an hc like 'Zona did with Pastner and Puke did with Collins and Wojo.

bartruff1
03-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Mark will be here as long as he wants...after this year he will likely get a bonus and a raise and a contract extention..

TheGonzagaFactor
03-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Reality is 8 out 10. I'll take reality any day.

I would take 7 out of 10 if we were playing better teams and improving throughout the season rather than playing these community college teams in the WCC.

Bogozags
03-24-2013, 01:31 PM

Go ZAGS

TZ well said...GREAT POST!

I am always amazed at how people criticize a coach or manager for losing the last game of a tournament or playoff.

I watched the game intently last evening and I didn't see Coach Few make one bad pass or take a bad shot either! He decisions didn't lose the game but rather our inability to execute...the players made critical mistakes on both ends of the court down the stretch that proved to be the cause for this loss THAT and the incredible shooting by WSU.

I feel miserable about the outcome of the game and KNOW beyond a shadow of doubt, that he, the staff and players feel horrible, absolutely horrible losing that game.

GU fans on this board (many of whom have no real idea/clue on what it takes to prepare for and play in a game of this magnitude) seem to be fickle regarding Coach Few. Coach Monson started the string of NCAA appearances BUT he left for greener pastures and COACH FEW took the job and has done remarkably well by all accounts. GU's mens program is an extremely respected by all and this was brought about by Coach Few and his staff!

Coach Few does an excellent job and prepares GU for their opponents as well as any I have seen; however, he cannot shoot nor defend and has to rely upon the players to again, execute the game plan. We came back from 13 down and lead by 8 and then a shooting display I have not seen before began. It just wasn't meant to be...

cggonzaga
03-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Few isn't going anywhere and that is fine for now. But for those that don't realize what we have in Tommy Lloyd are out of their minds. If Mark were to retire I see the program not skipping a beat with Tommy at the helm. If Mark was to retire after Lloyd took a job somewhere else then we'd be in trouble. In some ways I see Lloyd leaving hurting us more than Few.

webspinnre
03-24-2013, 02:18 PM

No kidding. Not so much the initial post, I think that's reasonable. (and I think the answer is something like 2% chance of getting better, 28% chance of staying the same, 70% chance of getting worse).

The point is, where do you propose we get this better coach from? Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart aren't coming here, and obviously not the big BCS coaches. After that, what, you hope you get lucky and get the right guy?

cggonzaga
03-24-2013, 03:12 PM
The next brad Stevens/Shaka Smart is already on staff.

gonwick
03-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Just curious: Whom does Few get input from? I imagine he gets nothing but positive reinforcement from the university. We know that the local press doesn't do much if any questioning. He gets some minimal scrutiny nationally that will probably increase after this season. Even the board lionizes him. This thread has 2 or three what ifs and dozens of people saying we shouldn't criticize. How does someone in his position get realistic feedback? If he is doing something wrong, who tells him? For example, let's posit that he has a bad defensive strategy for the tournament. What would it take for him to change?

His situation strikes me a bit as a tenured professor. Someone who has good lesson plans but doesn't really need to change them. If he gets a couple big OOC wins and wins the WCC or the WCC tourney, he keeps up the streak and everyone is happy enough.

I don't doubt that he works hard, but he's not the kind of person who's at work all the time. In Spokane, people appreciate the balance or say they do because they are glad to have him. In other places, they would expect their coach to live for the job. He would have to spend more time gladhanding and answering aggressive local reporters who actually critique him. He would have to learn to use the internet. He would have to spend more time recruiting. GU is as good for him as he is for it.

I think he is great for the community, and he is a good person. I think he could improve as a coach, as we all could improve at our jobs. Hopefully he continues to do so.

spike_jr
03-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Gonwick - throw in $1,500,000+ and you have the reason why he will never leave!

jazzdelmar
03-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Few to a BCS school is 2003 thinking, a ship that's sailed.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Just curious: Whom does Few get input from? I imagine he gets nothing but positive reinforcement from the university. We know that the local press doesn't do much if any questioning. He gets some minimal scrutiny nationally that will probably increase after this season. Even the board lionizes him. This thread has 2 or three what ifs and dozens of people saying we shouldn't criticize. How does someone in his position get realistic feedback? If he is doing something wrong, who tells him? For example, let's posit that he has a bad defensive strategy for the tournament. What would it take for him to change?

His situation strikes me a bit as a tenured professor. Someone who has good lesson plans but doesn't really need to change them. If he gets a couple big OOC wins and wins the WCC or the WCC tourney, he keeps up the streak and everyone is happy enough.

I don't doubt that he works hard, but he's not the kind of person who's at work all the time. In Spokane, people appreciate the balance or say they do because they are glad to have him. In other places, they would expect their coach to live for the job. He would have to spend more time gladhanding and answering aggressive local reporters who actually critique him. He would have to learn to use the internet. He would have to spend more time recruiting. GU is as good for him as he is for it.

I think he is great for the community, and he is a good person. I think he could improve as a coach, as we all could improve at our jobs. Hopefully he continues to do so.

I assume these are all well phrased rhetorical questions the answers to which you know full well. 😀

kclubfounder
03-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Few isn't going anywhere and that is fine for now. But for those that don't realize what we have in Tommy Lloyd are out of their minds. If Mark were to retire I see the program not skipping a beat with Tommy at the helm. If Mark was to retire after Lloyd took a job somewhere else then we'd be in trouble. In some ways I see Lloyd leaving hurting us more than Few.

I don't believe I'm "out of my mind". Yet, I think that in your mind I "don't realize what we have in Tommy Lloyd."

So, what is it? Am I out of my mind for not realizing what you think we have in Tommy Lloyd? Or was your post off the mark?

Zags11
03-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Good Grief. I want Mark Few as the coach. I want him behind the helm when we are champs someday. Few isnt beyond being talked about. Disagreed with.

Few will break through and Im sure and hope he will one day, but must be 3pt defense that is reason.

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Andy Enfield

jazzdelmar
03-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Andy Enfield

In a heartbeat

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2013, 05:21 PM
In a heartbeat

I've never understood the fatalists that say that we would be doomed if Few left. DM took us to our only EE. It was the same fearful mentality that Hoosier fans said when Knight was fired and Penn State fans said when Paterno was fired. They make a god out of a man. Few is a GREAT coach, but he is not beyond reproach.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2013, 05:25 PM
A 50 year old coach who can't get past the first weekend with pro talent, is media and scrutiny averse and has a high salary level isn't very attractive. He's here for the duration.

MJ777
03-24-2013, 05:31 PM
In a heartbeat

Pipedream. Maybe Few can hang out with him at the FF and absorb some of his basketball wisdom.

thespywhozaggedme
03-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Pipedream. Maybe Few can hang out with him at the FF and absorb some of his basketball wisdom.

Did you hear the players chanting "Andy, Andy, Andy" in the locker room after the game?

MJ777
03-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Did you hear the players chanting "Andy, Andy, Andy" in the locker room after the game?

I missed that but I did hear the talking BB heads going on and on about how he just tells his teams to go out and play loose and have fun or something to that affect.

cggonzaga
03-24-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't believe I'm "out of my mind". Yet, I think that in your mind I "don't realize what we have in Tommy Lloyd."

So, what is it? Am I out of my mind for not realizing what you think we have in Tommy Lloyd? Or was your post off the mark?

I have no clue what you're saying. My argument is against those people that think the program goes to hell without Few. It doesn't because we have a great coach in waiting. I just hope he is still here when Few is done.

kclubfounder
03-24-2013, 06:53 PM
I have no clue what you're saying. My argument is against those people that think the program goes to hell without Few. It doesn't because we have a great coach in waiting. I just hope he is still here when Few is done.

What I'm saying is that I don't think Tommy Lloyd automatically steps in and keeps the program at the same level.

Does that mean I'm out of my mind? According to your post it does.

I think you may be the one who is out of his mind.

And for the record, I LOVE Tommy Lloyd.

Maybe you should re-read your post.

cggonzaga
03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Why not KC? He's the coach in waiting or did you not realize that? He has been tutored by great coaches. It seems to me any argument suggesting Lloyd doesnt keep this thing going is an argument against Few. Also, who is our best recruiter? Lloyd! I don't worry one iota about this program after Few if Tommy is still here and I'm sure Mike Roth and Mark Few feel the same way or they never would've named him the coach in waiting.

kclubfounder
03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Why not KC? He's the coach in waiting or did you not realize that? He has been tutored by great coaches. It seems to me any argument suggesting Lloyd doesnt keep this thing going is an argument against Few. Also, who is our best recruiter? Lloyd! I don't worry one iota about this program after Few if Tommy is still here and I'm sure Mike Roth and Mark Few feel the same way or they never would've named him the coach in waiting.

I think you are out of your mind.

howdydoody
03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Some really think the program would fall apart? Dan Fitzgerald and Dan Monson
has the vision and built the program from zippo! To say, in so many words, that the program would disintegrate is.......................! And playing in the WCC is a
is somewhat of a fail/safe.

kclubfounder
03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
has the vision and built the program from zippo! To say, in so many words, that the program would disintegrate is.......................! And playing in the WCC is a

I'm guessing your age at less than 30.

MJ777
03-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Isn't that what DePaul fans said when Ray Meyer retired.

ZagLawGrad
03-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Few exiting would be a bad thing.

MJ777
03-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Few exiting would be a bad thing.

I agree. He just needs to adjust and somehow get the team to elevate it's play and play loose. Don't overthink the game. And for Pete's sake guard the 3 line when teams are heating up.

MDABE80
03-24-2013, 07:49 PM
What if, God forbid..I got a big sliver in my ass. Few would still be the coach. Lots of this post loss blather is uneccessary.
Few brought the team to new heights this year. Sure we didn't get the FF plum......but nobody would say he didn't move the program ahead.
He made some iffy choices in this past game too but that's nothing. I thought he's just completed his best coaching year.in games.

These new names that claw out of the "wherever" who spend time on unknowable things make me laugh. They're welcome but...........well.....they make me laugh. See?....lolololol...<internet guffawing.

Zerogame
03-24-2013, 08:07 PM

I knew it was to early to come back to this site because of bs like this.

cggonzaga
03-24-2013, 08:26 PM
I think you are out of your mind.

Care to explain? I don't even know what your argument is. Why in one breath would you say you love Tommy and in the next act like the program would go to hell with him at the helm?

MDABE80
03-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Hey what about my sliver!!! lolol Few's here for a while.....a good long while.

Reborn
03-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Lots of threads to read, and write but I'd like to put my thoughts into one thread. I love posting on this board and I feel I owe some kind of response to those of you who like to read my posts. I am not in a writing mood at all. I hurt pretty badly and am just not in the mood. But I will say a few things.
Gonzaga lost to a team last night that they should have won, and got outplayed and outcoached. Wichita St wanted to win worse then the Zags did, and they had the will power to do what they did, and the Zags did not have the will to stop them. There are many, many fans who extremely upset, hurt and let down. If some of you can't handle this truth, then don't read on. There are people who are very passionate fans, and gave a lot of themselves this year to believe in this team. I am one of them. We have a right to our feelings, even if anger is one of them, even if disappointed is one of them, and even if feeling let down is one of them. And just because we have these feelings doesn't make us traitors. And it certainly doesn't mean we are not Zags, nor do we love our Zags less. We are just let down.

The Zags are the only #1 seed who did not make it to the Sweet 16, and I think it's like 90% of the #1 seeds over the years have made it to the Sweet 16. I guess what hurts the most is that there were so many people, and the ESPN "talking heads" were there spokes persons, plus Doug Gotleib from CBS. In the end all the things about Gonzaga and the WCC came true. And it could take a long long time for that misrepresentation to be corrected. It's really hard to accept that the things they said about Gonzaga, our coach, our players, our program and our conference came true.

The Zags had a great year, with lots of success, and they can not be taken from them, or us. But in the end the is judged by how they do in the NCAA tournament. That may bother you, but it is the truth, and especially when a team makes it to the level that Gonzaga has made it to. This is going to be hard to say, but this team is not the best Zag team ever, and may be the 4th or 5th best. This team has let their fans down more than any of the other great teams that have gone before them. Last nights loss was the worst defeat in Gonzaga history, imo. Why? Because we finally had made it to a place where we really could have made it to the Final 4, and maybe won it. But we defininitely had a team that many of us feel should have at least made it to the Elite 8. In the end on the biggest stage, and in the biggest moments in the history of Gonzaga's program, the team couldn't get it done.
They could NOT CLOSE THE DEAL. And mostly, they did not play their best game, and as a team certainly did not give their best effort. And I guess that's what hurts the most.

Some of you will definitely not like this, but this loss is on Mark Few and his staff. The team was not ready to play in the NCAA tournament this year. They played badly in both games really. They definitely did not appear to be mentally or spiritually ready to play at the level that is needed in the NCAA tournament. Mark Few is a very good coach, there is no doubting that, but he does NOT know how to win at the highest level. He does not know how to prepare his team to play at the highest level. I'm not saying that he can't learn how to do this, but I am saying that if HE doesn't change, if he doesn't seek out advice from coaches who DO know how to win at this level I'm talking about, and then begin to set about changing certain philosophies then the team will remain where it's at. A very high level team, rated in the top 30 almost every year. If he, his staff and players with being in the top30 then no change is needed. But if anyone has higher desires and aspirations then it's obvious that change is needed.

There is a saying in basketball that I love. You have to leave it all on the court, and when you walk off that court at the end of the game you can look yourself and your team mates in they eyes and say that you left it all on the floor, then everyone is happy. But honestly, the players did NOT leave it all on the court last night. They did not give everything they have inside to get the deal done. And in the end that is what disappoints me. For some reason Wichita St had it, and they did GET IT DONE. 15 other teams had it. The biggest disappointment, and biggest upset was Gonzaga's loss in the 2nd round. The Zags had finally gotten the program to where EVERYONE had hoped for, and dreamt of. And in the end We could not prove that we really were deserving of the place.

If you don't believe that the post season is important, and that a team is judged in the end by how they do in March then none of this will make sense to you. In high school the greatest teams win state championships. A few of them are undefeated state champions. Winning at the highest level possible is the goal of every great athlete.

I will say one thing. I love Mike Hart, and none of what I have said applies to him. I will not give up the hope that I have inside for the Zags. I will not give up the dream. I will hope that Mark Few can change in how he prepares his team for March Madness. Maybe that means getting in a different conference. Maybe the truth is that the WCC does not prepare a team to play in the Div I National Championship tournament.

Zags11
03-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Reborn, I love reaing your threads. I made a topic about "Being defensive" and Few cant break through the sw16 ceiling. I got bashed, agreed, attacked, agreed through PM's. I love Few but he needs to do alot more in march.

I was let down more then any loss. I feel empty and pissed all at once. This was the shot. My parents are getting older and be nice to watch a F4 together before....ya know. Im pretty upset and bummed out.

Reborn, keep saying what you wanna say.

bostonzagfan
03-24-2013, 09:20 PM
I knew it was to early to come back to this site because of bs like this.

please tell me how saying that there is a chance gu would be better without few and the percent chance is a matter of opinion is bull####. as i stated earlier even if you think the chance is .00000001% then my original post is accurate.

also i have yet to hear responses back from californiazaggin', zag67, birddog, spike94, and exclusivelee.

reborn good post.

GrizZAG
03-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Mark Few answered that it takes some luck and good match ups to go far... prior to the tournaments.

Realize this conversation would not be happening if WSU went cold from the perimeter the last four minutes. They got "Lucky", we didn't. MF knows what he is talking about. He has top respect countrywide by other coaches.
Count your blessings and quit B******G. We are Dam* lucky

WallaWallaZag
03-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Mark Few answered that it takes some luck and good match ups to go far... prior to the tournaments.

Realize this conversation would not be happening if WSU went cold from the perimeter the last four minutes. They got "Lucky", we didn't. MF knows what he is talking about. He has top respect countrywide by other coaches.
Count your blessings and quit B******G. We are Dam* lucky

i dunno...seems as if the zags are consistently "unlucky" in march...

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Reborn----This one can't be on Few.

At the end of the day, he doesn't miss the bunnies, miss the free throws, give up silly turnovers, violate the inbounds rule, guard the opponents......etc.

And he didn't control how the Shockers played out of their mind on offense.

I was at the Energy Solutions Arena, and when DS committed the inbounds violation, you could literally feel the loss was sealed. Few did not commit that violation. And the 3 that followed seconds later took away any doubt.

As the #1 team in the nation, the Zags players---if they wanted it bad enough and were as good as hyped---should have stepped on the necks of ths Schockers when they got up by 7 in the second half. That's what top teams do. In the end, they just weren't mentally tough or good enough.

Next year, when seeding is handed out, the Selection Committee will remember the exit in the round of 32.

Back to the old fashioned way of 1999 for the Zags. Nothing wrong with that.

webspinnre
03-25-2013, 07:08 AM
I'm always leery about apportioning blame in situations like this. Some to Few, sure, but how much? The Zags hit their shots, get their stops, and it isn't an issue. As John Feinstein said this morning (talking about Butler and Brad Stevens and their poor shots at the end of the game), the coach can do everything right, but if the players don't execute it won't matter. Also, quoting Dean Smith, "the other guys give out scholarships too."

Zageist
03-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Without Few, GU would not be what it is. No way of knowing if they would maintain or get worse. But there's no reason to get rid of such a great coach.