PDA

View Full Version : Pic worth 1000 words

Zag 77
03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/picture-stories/gonzaga-vs-wichita-state-march-23/#6528

The last photo in this sequence says much about the relationship of Few and his players.

Mantua
03-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Thank you for posting that link.

Reflecting.

Zag 77
03-24-2013, 10:09 PM
I don't get how Few gets criticism for being too aloof. A lot of our recruits are sold on coming to GU because they feel a "family" feel here.

Oregonzagnut
03-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Truly awesome family photo. Few is a teacher and mentor as well as a friend to all his players.

I have not heard the word aloof used to describe Few. In fact after speaking with him several times and hearing him speak at banquets, he is the opposite of aloof. At least when I have been in his presence.

Zagcity
03-25-2013, 06:25 AM
Few is the Kinda coach any parent would welcome coaching their child. He is the opposite of the Frank Martins of the world. I would say that picture is worth a million not only a 1000 words. :)

rijman
03-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the pics. Few with Harris and Kelly after the game with Hart trailing was my favorite along with Few holding Kelly's shoe.

TexasZag
03-25-2013, 06:57 AM
This conversation hits a bit of a nerve with me. I think the negative connotations are partly due to the coach's generally quiet demeanor. Being someone with a personality type similar to Coach Few (at least, from what I can tell from a distance, anyway), I, too, am sometimes mischaracterized or misunderstood. My wife often tells me that I am who I choose to be, and that if I wanted to I could be more "personable and outgoing." For the most part, that's a croc, to be sure. Some people are comfortable being the center of attention and the initiator, while others are not. And what we see from Coach in public might be tempered somewhat by the environment. He obviously has a very good relationship with his players, which speaks volumes about how he handles himself away from public view.

vandalzag
03-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Great post. Few's public persona is opposite of how he is with his players. Proof is how many stay involved in the program and the community. Maybe that takes away from a win at all costs type program.
I think it is his goal (stemming from the why not at Gonzaga Mantra) to show that he can win, doing it his way, with his kids. The majority of Zag fans want to see it accomplished that way. The bumps in the road, like last weekend, will only make achieving the goal that much better. It is the community feel that makes it special. Unlike Kentucky fans with the one and done players, there is no investment in the player who stays for 4 or 5 years, improving every year making himself better and helping the program evolve. Imagine a Mike Hart or Scott Bankhead walking on at Kentucky, they most likely would never exist.

scott257
03-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the link. The pictures are great. Mark truly cares about all of his players and it was in evidence in this picture and also in the post game interview. I think the link to that was already posted, but during the players questioning period, you could see Mark frequently reach over and put his hand on the back of the player (either Kelly or Elias - I don't remember now).

I have seen several posts from people that were unhappy with him following this loss. Gonzaga would be a poorer place without him. He has coached great season after season and most importantly he has made our world much better by the lessons he provides the players, and his charity work for Coaches V Cancer. It isn't without reason that so many of the former players return to Spokane.