PDA

View Full Version : The WCC effect...

Zagarooskis
03-23-2013, 09:54 PM
What are the chances the Zags look to move on from the WCC? The league does nothing but hold us back year in and year out. It's a complete joke when you play a conference tournament semi-final game against a school that went 1-15 in the conference regular season. We need to play a consistently tougher schedule if this program wants to get to the next level (elite 8). It was apparent in tonight's game that the past two months of playing unathletic, slow and undersized WCC schools didn't prepare our bigs for the physical style of play down low. With the Saint Mary's sanctions coming into effect next year, the league is only bound to get worse. Is going independent an option? Catholic 7? Something has to change IMO...:mad:

MJ777
03-23-2013, 09:57 PM
What are the chances the Zags look to move on from the WCC? The league does nothing but hold us back year in and year out. It's a complete joke when you play a conference tournament semi-final game against a school that went 1-15 in the conference regular season. We need to play a consistently tougher schedule if this program wants to get to the next level (elite 8). It was apparent in tonight's game that the past two months of playing unathletic, slow and undersized WCC schools didn't prepare our bigs for the physical style of play down low. With the Saint Mary's sanctions coming into effect next year, the league is only bound to get worse. Is going independent an option? Catholic 7? Something has to change IMO...:mad:

posts will be moved to the wcc thread in 5..4...3...2...1. Check the WCC board.

Oregonzagnut
03-23-2013, 10:04 PM
It isn't the conference. It is how the team mentally prepares for their final game of the year. We played tougher and with more passion against St Marys than we did either Southern or WSU.

Few has to have a different coaching philosophy for the post season. He can't revert to managing the clock, tinkering, or playing "not to lose".

Zagarooskis
03-23-2013, 10:09 PM
I completely disagree. We didn't play a single team with the speed and athleticism of Wichita State for two straight months. You cant just sumulate that in inter squads or practice. Our bigs were noticeably affected by bigger and athletic posts (compared to the WCC). There's a reason why power conference schools consistently go deep. The WCC doesn't come close to the weekly grind of the power 6.

Hoopaholic
03-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Just what is this different coaching philosophy you keep hinting about?

TheGonzagaFactor
03-23-2013, 10:19 PM
It isn't the conference. It is how the team mentally prepares for their final game of the year. We played tougher and with more passion against St Marys than we did either Southern or WSU.

Few has to have a different coaching philosophy for the post season. He can't revert to managing the clock, tinkering, or playing "not to lose".

It's the conference. We can be as good as we want all year but when we play 18 games with the goal being to blow a team out by 30+ instead of being challenged night in and night out, this is going to keep happening. It's tough to admit you were wrong. I'm having a tough time with it as well.

We were all wrong. This was a fringe top 25 team. With a good conference they are top 5, but we stupidly stayed in the WCC. Keep thinking the WCC is improving, it's a joke. Terrible. Crappy teams, crappy players. That includes Delly (show me a good performance against a good team, he didn't have any, period.), Haws, and Ireland. We just lost to a terrible team. What a waste of a season. Sure, the refs were bad, but still. Wichita is bad and shouldn't have stayed within 10 of us.

This game was a potential program killer. I can't wait to see us beat some BCS teams and then lose to another bad team in the round of 32 again next season.

deathchina
03-23-2013, 10:30 PM
I think this is why people get so worked up when we don't step on the throats of the WCC bottom feeders. Any time you aren't giving it 100 percent, you're just throwing away potential opportunity for improvement. Unfortunately, we can win ball games with way less than our best effort in conference play, and still feel good about ourselves because we won.

I think our team was shaken by WSU's defensive intensity....Olynyk and Harris were unable to finish inside...they seemed genuinely surprised that people were aggressively contesting their shot...And our ball handling on the perimeter and entry passses were WAAAY too lackadaisical...We get away with that stuff in the WCC but not against a quality defensive team.

gonwick
03-23-2013, 10:41 PM
I agree the WCC is terrible and bad in some respects for gu. However, gu's ability to dominate the conference sets us up to get into the tourney. But also sets us up for an early exit since we aren't used to very athletic teams. vicious cycle. Kevin young and keion bell were clearly high major talents who once played in the wcc, but their talent is too rare. I dunno what happened to e in this tourney. I used to think he was a great athletic jumper, but against these teams he looked terrible. He dominated az years ago in seattle, so I do believe he has great talent. Maybe he's hurt and we didn't know (phantom unknown injuries, the panacea of gu boards).

I don't think we fully understand how much this loss could impact gu. We may not know for years (seeding, recruiting, etc). As I said in other threads, Few and gu better pray another 1 falls tomorrow.

It's the conference. We can be as good as we want all year but when we play 18 games with the goal being to blow a team out by 30+ instead of being challenged night in and night out, this is going to keep happening. It's tough to admit you were wrong. I'm having a tough time with it as well.

We were all wrong. This was a fringe top 25 team. With a good conference they are top 5, but we stupidly stayed in the WCC. Keep thinking the WCC is improving, it's a joke. Terrible. Crappy teams, crappy players. That includes Delly (show me a good performance against a good team, he didn't have any, period.), Haws, and Ireland. We just lost to a terrible team. What a waste of a season. Sure, the refs were bad, but still. Wichita is bad and shouldn't have stayed within 10 of us.

This game was a potential program killer. I can't wait to see us beat some BCS teams and then lose to another bad team in the round of 32 again next season.