PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few

Vanzagger
03-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Had his best year as a head coach. I saw him taking steps in several areas. Keep growing and building.

Although I don't like how we lost tonight(and how we won Thurs)this was going to be hard to take down anyway. Lots of quality teams banging on each other.

MJ777
03-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Coach Few Thanks for a great season. Now learn how to survive and advance better....okay? Start with the 3 pt defense; it apparently is a problem.

Oregonzagnut
03-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Coach Few Thanks for a great season. Now learn how to survive and advance better....okay? Start with the 3 pt defense; it apparently is a problem.

IMO, he needs to be a motivator and stop thinking if we just improve this or that on the last game. Any deficiencies are permanent at this point and we have to play to our strengths like Hart did. Hart played out of his head!

few needs to stop micro-managing, trust that our players probably could coach themselves after 34 games, and learn to put it all together by motivating the team to go ALL OUT! Few must avoid any hint of conservativeness or "just hold on" staus quo.

Few has to elevate his game in the post season. He forgot all about nastiness and physicality and reverted our entire team back to cautious self preservation. I could see it in their demeanor. Their eyes had that stare.

MJ777
03-23-2013, 10:02 PM
IMO, he needs to be a motivator and stop thinking if we just improve this or that on the last game. Any deficiencies are permanent at this point and we have to play to our strengths like Hart did. Hart played out of his head!

few needs to stop micro-managing, trust that our players probably could coach themselves after 34 games, and learn to put it all together by motivating the team to go ALL OUT! Few must avoid any hint of conservativeness or "just hold on" staus quo.

Few has to elevate his game in the post season. He forgot all about nastiness and physicality and reverted our entire team back to cautious self preservation. I could see it in their demeanor. Their eyes had that stare.

Good points.

Zags11
03-23-2013, 10:02 PM
IN March tournament teams shoot 32% from 3. This yr zags allowed 24-51. I belive 47%.

hoopaddict
03-23-2013, 10:09 PM
IN March tournament teams shoot 32% from 3. This yr zags allowed 24-51. I believe 47%.

Cha ching. IMO we need longer guards.

Zag79
03-25-2013, 01:07 AM
The proof is in the pudding, it's become evident the coaching is affecting our ability to make runs in March. This team was more than capable of winning the title, let alone losing before the second weekend. Players come and go but the ceiling remains the same it seems. Few needs to get more out of Giacoletti or make some adjustments if we want to win more games in the dance.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Saddest and most enduring image was Few having Stockton walk the ball up the court desperately trying to nurse a four or five point lead with five or so minutes left. Contrast that with the styles of all the winners in the Round of 32.

Birddog
03-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Saddest and most enduring image was Few having Stockton walk the ball up the court desperately trying to nurse a four or five point lead with five or so minutes left. Contrast that with the styles of all the winners in the Round of 32.
Like most fans, I hate the slow down offense in BB. I understand "milking the clock" but why not bring it up just like always, swing the ball around, make the opponent play some defense, wear them down and make them doubt themselves, use the clock and if there is a breakdown exploit it before the clock expires. Just go old school and run some flex and stop with the pounding the ball routine. It's predictable and it usually leaves your offense with but one opportunity to score.

Chicken Ball
03-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Cha ching. IMO we need longer guards.
Longer, or quicker. Two ways to prevent shooters shooting: close out with length and bother their release up high, or close out with quickness and jam their release from the torso. We need either taller or quicker guards. Instead, we have short, slow guards. Those guys do lots of things very well and I'm glad they're on our side, but they aren't going to chase shooters off the three point line.

kitzbuel
03-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Longer, or quicker. Two ways to prevent shooters shooting: close out with length and bother their release up high, or close out with quickness and jam their release from the torso. We need either taller or quicker guards. Instead, we have short, slow guards. Those guys do lots of things very well and I'm glad they're on our side, but they aren't going to chase shooters off the three point line.

Obviously that will not hurt, but that is not what cost us the game. I think OZN hit it. Few reverted back to the shell that we thought he had discarded this year; the 'play not to lose' style that was pleasantly absent this year until now.

IMO that put a ton of extra pressure on the players to HAVE to make baskets, added pressure that was not necessary. Run the offense that they know instead.

U Zig, I Zag
03-25-2013, 07:12 AM

Bingo.

All we had to do was KEEP PLAYING. Attack. It was so obvious it was disgusting.

CdAZagFan
03-25-2013, 07:17 AM
I would have loved to have seen them push the ball up more often against WSU. I thought they showed through the year that with the athletes they had on this team, they could all run the floor really well. A couple of easy baskets there late in the second half may have calmed the nerves a little bit.

Disappointing finish for sure, but great overall season...

Reborn
03-25-2013, 07:20 AM

ditto

When GU plays slow they lose. They always have. They played REAL SLOW the first half when they got so far behind. Then they began to pick up the pace. We cut the lead to 3 points before Elias Harris gave WS an offensive rebound and put back before the halftime horn blew. Then in the second half GU picks up the pace and begins to attack on offense and gets an 8 point lead. Then they slow it back down again. FOLKS This is a coaching decision.

hooter73
03-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Be happy with the ceiling. Seriously, Few's "ceiling" every year is historic and record breaking. It is what it is.

scott257
03-25-2013, 08:20 AM

I think you are wrong with respect to this point. I have listened to many of the players interviews about Coach Few, and almost universally he is respected because he is a "players coach" (Dan Dickau). In the interview with Dickau he indicated that Mark tends to let the players play through their mistakes. I do not have the link to this, but certainly I am not the only one on the board that heard this.

Vanzagger
03-25-2013, 08:31 AM
What would you say w a mike in your face?

Reborn
03-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Mark Few is a very, very good coach. There's no doubt about it. He has already achieved more than most coaches, and he's still pretty young. Gonzaga will not be able to get a better coach than Mark. That's a rediculous idea. And I think it's also true that he is not a great coach yet, and I think he will become one.

The Zags had a very, very good year, but not a great year. They achieved the kind of success that not even VCU or Butler has achieved, which is being ranked first in the polls and receiving a #1 Seed. And as Mark Few said, it was an incredible ride. It was the best ride ever through 34 games. Few and his team reached goals they had never achieved before. Like winning 30 games for the first time. I think we could say that Gonzaga had a great year, but it was not the Best year of any Zag team. The '99 team is still the standard and until the Zags either reach the Elite 8 again, or finally make it to the final 4, they will not be the Best Zag team. Many of us felt that this would be the team that surpassed the '99 team. We were wrong.

So yes, we now must move on and continue to hope and believe. Gonzaga is no longer a mid-major program. They are definitely among the Elite. They need to realize that there is a huge difference. There is a whole other mindset that they need to create. When it comes to March Madness they will be the hunted by every single mid-major team they play in the tournament. And those teams will love to beat Gonzaga, and will play their best games against us. Few will need to learn how to prepare his team, and develop a mind set, that is completely different from what they have known in the past.

I think the greatest thing about Mark Few is that he is young, and he still has a lot to learn. My hope is that he learns how to take the Zags into that highest realm in the basketball world and learn how to get comfortable being there. I think they almost reached it this year, and Im sure they will find a way to get there in the near future. The answer is not to fire Few, or even think the Zags could be better without him. The answer lies in Few's ability to continue to learn and grow as a coach. THE BEST IS YET TO COME.

former1dog
03-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Adding my voice to the chorus.

Mark Few is the best coach Gonzaga could have hoped for. I am so glad he has stuck it out and brought Gonzaga the kind of notoriety we would have never gotten with out him.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are a dozen new buildings on campus and unprecedented enrollment that can directly be attributed to Mark Few and all the success he has brought.

That said, you're kidding yourself if you don't think he could get better as a coach and that its out of bounds to recognize that or "talk" about it on this message board.

I'm sure he self evaluates and why shouldn't he. Continuing to be motivated by past failures and not satisfied with what you've accomplished is what drives excellence.

Zageist
03-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Great season, dissappointing finish. What's up next year?

hooter73
03-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Great season, dissappointing finish. What's up next year?

well we have the big recruiting class coming in that... oh wait...

sorry.

Next year is going to be back to a guard centric style of play which I think Few excels at coaching. It will look nothing like this years team.