PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk got fouled--they call that we win

AzZag
03-23-2013, 07:55 PM
At the 4:30 mark is when the game changed. Olynyk gets fouled bad. No call.
Even that rat fink Gottlieb said it was clearly a foul. He is a Zags hater and for him to state that was a foul then it clearly was.

We were getting mugged all night long.
refs love the underdog.

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Don't blame the refs. It makes us look petty and like sore losers. WSU played great.

Robemcdo
03-23-2013, 08:05 PM
For a number one seed, GU was getting no calls. That no-call was huge...game changed right after that.

A hand in the face in some of the three point shooters might not have been a bad idea either.

ZaginLaw
03-23-2013, 08:05 PM
We make bunnies and free throws and no turnovers...

zagco
03-23-2013, 08:07 PM
It was a bad foul and then an obvious travel. Those calls were obvious yet missed refs must have been sleeping for about 10 seconds there.

AzZag
03-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Get bent.
We were getting hacked, held and mugged all night.
That's their style. They are dirty and their coach encourages it.
You take your PC approach I'll ##### about the refs.
In the end every non-Zag and pundit around the country is saying "told you so"
I hardly would say the shockers played great.

coolhandzag
03-23-2013, 08:11 PM
The missed foul call in travel were horrendous, but it was the torrent of three-pointers that killed us.

mihalevich
03-23-2013, 08:14 PM
At the 4:30 mark is when the game changed. Olynyk gets fouled bad. No call.
Even that rat fink Gottlieb said it was clearly a foul. He is a Zags hater and for him to state that was a foul then it clearly was.

We were getting mugged all night long.
refs love the underdog.

give me a break...we were getting calls in 1st half....the game turned on them making unbelievable shots and we rushed things and lost poise in last 3 minutes

WallaWallaZag
03-23-2013, 08:15 PM
this game wasn't won or lost because of the refs...zags missed a lot of bunnies and didn't defend the 3 point line. wichita state also shot a lot better than they normally do from distance, though the zags defense definitely could have been better.

kclubfounder
03-23-2013, 08:21 PM
The refs aren't the reason we are sad and frustrated.

But if it makes you feel better, go for it.

TM27
03-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Get bent.
We were getting hacked, held and mugged all night.
That's their style. They are dirty and their coach encourages it.
You take your PC approach I'll ##### about the refs.
In the end every non-Zag and pundit around the country is saying "told you so"
I hardly would say the shockers played great.

Huh? GU didnt win because they didn't execute. Saying that WSU was dirty is nuts. Im hoping this gets deleted because you are making the Zags in general look like crap.

timgozags
03-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Losing Bell Jr is causing the game, not because of that no call foul. The Zags couldn't execute, they couldn't hit free throw, couldn't defend 3 points and couldn't make 3 point shots by end of the game. Bad turn over by David, and WSU is getting hot at the right time. Zags are skilled but not dominate or intimidate any team in this tournament.

lothar98zag
03-23-2013, 09:27 PM
It doesn't have to be either/or. Pretty sure its possible for the zags and the refs to have both screwed up down the stretch.

Zag79
03-25-2013, 12:50 AM
The refs aren't the reason we are sad and frustrated.

But if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Agree, the refs aren't the reason we can't defend the three.

ZagMania
03-25-2013, 05:28 AM
This seemed like a pretty egregious no-call live. I've been searching to see if I could find a clip anywhere in any highlights and haven't been able to find anything. Anyone have a link?

bigblahla
03-25-2013, 05:53 AM
Checked the rule book. Nowhere does it talk about playing through contact.

The game is not officiated by the rule book but called by three guys who don't follow it, always.

Why? To help bad offensive teams compete with good offensive teams and for the flow of TV.

How can you play a game when the way it's called changes every 10 minutes or so.

The state of college basketball officials and the way the game is called is a travesty and national joke.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

webspinnre
03-25-2013, 07:27 AM
The most frustrating part was that they called those fouls for the first 4 or 5 minutes of the 2nd half, and then stopped calling them. That being said, while I'm willing to put some games on the refs, I'm putting this one on our execution. Down the stretch, we didn't execute on offense, didn't execute on defense, and we lost.

zag944
03-25-2013, 07:33 AM
That sequence killed us. Hard foul not called, WSU travels in the corner but doesnt get whistled, then hits a three. 5 point swing in 15 seconds, when we needed it the least.

That said, everyone I was watching with was screaming at the referees throughout the Southern game. Not the case this time. Moreso screaming at our players to stop sagging off three point shooters. I thought the referees did a decent job on Saturday. This one is on us, and I am generally not above blaming the refs.

scott257
03-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Who knows how it would have turned out if calls had gone the other way? I do believe this was a critical point in the game and there is a possibility that things would have gone the other way if one of the two calls had been made. I know that even my wife (who barely watches basketball), caught the traveling that was not called - I expect everyone watching did. So, it is a matter of what if's.

I know everyone here can except that the foul on Kelly wasn't called. I really have a hard time excusing that the traveling was not. It is water under the bridge, but I personally hope that someone in the officials food chain has done a review of this and that they are at least made aware that they blew this call. These aren't middle school refs and missing that call was bush league on their part.

vandalzag
03-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Not on the refs, the foul and travel hurt but not game ending. KO expecting to get the call and not finishing strong caused the damage (on more than one occasion).
Lots of things went wrong, but how about WS made shots and won the game. Is it that hard to say that the other team won, as opposed to GU lost. Lets not treat the Shockers like they are a JC team.

cjm720
03-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Don't blame the refs. It makes us look petty and like sore losers. WSU played great.

+1.

JPtheBeasta
03-25-2013, 09:27 AM
That sequence killed us. Hard foul not called, WSU travels in the corner but doesnt get whistled, then hits a three. 5 point swing in 15 seconds, when we needed it the least.

That said, everyone I was watching with was screaming at the referees throughout the Southern game. Not the case this time. Moreso screaming at our players to stop sagging off three point shooters. I thought the referees did a decent job on Saturday. This one is on us, and I am generally not above blaming the refs.

+1

Every close game probably has a moment like that no-call/missed travel where one could point to a momentum changer or turning point in the game. If that doesn't happen we probaby (my opinion) would have been able to play through the crazy 3-point shooting. We outrebounded them, won the turnover battle, and dominated them in the paint. The refs can't call everything, but we did get to the line a lot (and missed a lot of free throws). This was our game to win, and we let it slip through our fingers.

We cannot blame the officiating, but we can point to moments in a game when momentum changes, and officials can have everything to do with that.

zagco
03-25-2013, 09:37 AM
The reason this non-call is such a big deal to Gonzaga people is that it happened to be a very obvious foul. If it is called, KO goes to the line and hits 1 or 2 shots, and obviously the next possession for WIZZU is from an inbounds play instead of transition. Who knows what happens, but it does present a different scenario, maybe akin to having an extra pawn in a game of chess.

Often, you can argue about fouls on inside shots, but this one was real bad and clear to everyone. So, the mystery is what was going on inside the heads of the officials, who simply had to see the same thing???

JPtheBeasta
03-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Who knows what happens, but it does present a different scenario, maybe akin to having an extra pawn in a game of chess.

I think that is a perfect analogy. Against a weaker opponent it doesn't matter, but against an equal opponent that extra pawn makes all of the difference at the end of the game.

Zageist
03-25-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm glad nobody's overthinking this thing.

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
The reason this non-call is such a big deal to Gonzaga people is that it happened to be a very obvious foul. If it is called, KO goes to the line and hits 1 or 2 shots, and obviously the next possession for WIZZU is from an inbounds play instead of transition. Who knows what happens, but it does present a different scenario, maybe akin to having an extra pawn in a game of chess.

Often, you can argue about fouls on inside shots, but this one was real bad and clear to everyone. So, the mystery is what was going on inside the heads of the officials, who simply had to see the same thing???

All the issues we worried about ad nauseum on this forum came true. Missed bunnies, sloppy turn overs, no perimeter defense and mental errors. Throw in the reffing and the fact they MADE 14 threes and we have what we have.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I'll say it again. That inbounds violation was the dagger. Other factors came into play in the loss, but the falling grace was that play.

gamagin
03-25-2013, 11:20 AM
I'll say it again. That inbounds violation was the dagger. Other factors came into play in the loss, but the falling grace was that play.

over and over on our miscues, and us not taking advantage of their misses, miscues and on and on, that sent us home. The inbounds was one of them, of course.

you can't shoot in the high 30 percentile while your opponent is in the mid 50's from the three, plus mostly making their clutch f.t.'s and basically never giving up. The miscommunication between EH and DS was another, maybe even final, symptom, but not not the cause, imo.

cjm720
03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
A microscope under any play could be the difference, but they play 40 minutes. Not boxing out, not hitting the first end of a 1-1, a turnover...so many possibilities, I just see them all as a collective game. Can't dissect just one aspect of a game and expect a different outcome.

Reborn
03-25-2013, 12:57 PM

My opinion too. And they made a 3 pointer right after that turnover for a 5 point play counting the 2 FT's right before the bonehead in bounds pass, ec.

They not only missed the foul on Kelly, but also missed the travel by Early on the next play. And again, after the missed travel call they hit a 3 pointer.

Why we lost? The Zags never covered the 3 point shots by WS. And that bonehead out of bounds play.