• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spike94
    Kennel Club
    • Feb 2007

How on earth?

Does WSU have 7 fouls with 12 minutes left, then have only 9 at the end of the game. The momentum swing came on a missed foul call called on Olynyk followed by a missed traveling call, followed my a 3 pointer. 5 point swing to bring it to a 1 point game. Great season though. Can't wait for next year.
  • JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Spike94 View Post
    Does WSU have 7 fouls with 12 minutes left, then have only 9 at the end of the game. The momentum swing came on a missed foul call called on Olynyk followed by a missed traveling call, followed my a 3 pointer. 5 point swing to bring it to a 1 point game. Great season though. Can't wait for next year.
    Huge swing. And they were making threes all night. One game does not a bad team make. Good season.

Comment

• mihalevich
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Spike94 View Post
      You don't think WSU can do the same thing and look back at some bad calls against them. (which there were)...the momentum swung on WSU 3 pt bombs

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2011

When Bell went out, our perimeter D just dropped off horribly. They went .500 from 3. Wichita st shot lights out from 3 and we let them. AGAIN.
        “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• Spike94
          Kennel Club
          • Feb 2007

Not saying a bad season. I loved every moment. Except tonight of course. Nor am I blaming the refs. But that one set of mistakes was huge and it turned the game. And the fact they swallowed their whistles didn't help.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
            • Mar 2008

Incorrect oregonzag....we had a 7 minute exceptional defensive run to go from 5 down to 8 up.....it was the last 7 minutes defense lagged in rotation and aggresiveness
            The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Why do people think that there is a "system" or "way" to absolutely "defend" the three? - - There isn't. All you can do is make the shot harder and in the end - especially the ones near the end of the shot clock, WSU was simply launching them up and they hit nothing but net.

That team hadn't hit over 9 3s in a game. They HAD to shot 3s against us b/c they weren't getting their normal inside shots and O rebounds. They just happened to catch fire this game - - period.

I was ready to foreswear this team forever after they got way down in the first half - - they really played like a bunch of over matched dogs in the first, but they came back out and played as well as they have all year, and continued to do so until Kelly got a screwy no call, Bell got hurt, and WSU suddenly was ripping the net with PRAYERS. After seeing THAT - - there is nothing for a mature adult to do but laugh at life! Laugh at it! There is NO rhyme or reason that this team should have lost playing the way they did in the second half but it happens. Let's deal with it in a way that we'll be proud of in the middle of the summer.

Elias Harris and Mike Hart deserve a tiny bit more respect.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• MJ777
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                Why do people think that there is a "system" or "way" to absolutely "defend" the three? - - There isn't. All you can do is make the shot harder and in the end - especially the ones near the end of the shot clock, WSU was simply launching them up and they hit nothing but net.

That team hadn't hit over 9 3s in a game. They HAD to shot 3s against us b/c they weren't getting their normal inside shots and O rebounds. They just happened to catch fire this game - - period.

I was ready to foreswear this team forever after they got way down in the first half - - they really played like a bunch of over matched dogs in the first, but they came back out and played as well as they have all year, and continued to do so until Kelly got a screwy no call, Bell got hurt, and WSU suddenly was ripping the net with PRAYERS. After seeing THAT - - there is nothing for a mature adult to do but laugh at life! Laugh at it! There is NO rhyme or reason that this team should have lost playing the way they did in the second half but it happens. Let's deal with it in a way that we'll be proud of in the middle of the summer.

Elias Harris and Mike Hart deserve a tiny bit more respect.
                +++ 1

Comment

• TM27
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
                  When Bell went out, our perimeter D just dropped off horribly. They went .500 from 3. Wichita st shot lights out from 3 and we let them. AGAIN.
                  It seemed to me the change was after Few went "small" with his guards to counter the full court press. This was after the 8 min TO
                  TM

Comment

• zagco
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2007

We need more athletes to defend the college three. Or they should move the line to international distance and get rid of the riff-raff. But either way we need more athletes.

Comment

• zagapotomus
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by zagco View Post
                      We need more athletes to defend the college three. Or they should move the line to international distance and get rid of the riff-raff. But either way we need more athletes.
                      More so in this year's tourney than before, it's clear we need more above the rim players.

Comment

• madness
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TM27 View Post
                        It seemed to me the change was after Few went "small" with his guards to counter the full court press. This was after the 8 min TO
                        This, in that situation Pangos and Stocks should never be on the floor at the same time. Coaching staff really fell asleep in the most important part of the game. Too bad.
                        You're Scotch man! Time to get pissed.
                        http://twitter.com/smmclean/zags

Comment

• zagco
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Feb 2007

Well, Bell was injured. Manny Arop and Rotnei Clarke left for playing time we give to DS. Draino hardly played this year. Few made this bed.

Comment

• Monroe St. Zag
                            Redshirt
                            • Jan 2012

Leadership

I rarely post here and the extent of my basketball experience is winning the GU IM D-League Championship in '96. So take what follows with a grain of salt.

What I saw today reminded me of what I saw against TCU in '05, UCLA in '06, and (to a lesser extent) WKU in '09. GU would get an okay lead but then slow the tempo and, for lack of a better phrase, "play not to lose." In the WSU game it seemed to me that GU lost its momentum when it leisurely walked the ball up the court and ran down the clock from about the 12min to 6min mark of the second half. An argument could be made that the "play not to lose" mentality may translated to a few of WSU's open 3s. (To me it seems hard to be passive on the offensive end but active on the defensive side, one should fuel the other.). To me that approach seems coaching, as opposed to player, driven. Hopefully the coaching leadership relooks that approach and adopts something more aggressive going forward.

Comment

• zagco
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2007

Yep. Few has us running drills in these games.

Comment

Working...
                              X