CaliforniaZaggin'
03-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Unfinished business.

awberke
03-23-2013, 07:22 PM
He shouldn't but maybe he will.

mendiant
03-23-2013, 07:24 PM
It would nice to see him again next year...
...with short hair.
:)

love,
mendiant

U Zig, I Zag
03-23-2013, 07:25 PM
I would like to see him back. Doubt it though.

bigblahla
03-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Few and Bigfoot have a better chance of getting together. He has 1,700,000 reasons not to come back.

Thanks KO you carried us to historic heights.

Go!! Zags!!!

Goshzagit
strike why the iron is hot.

it will never burn brighter for him.

he's a lottery pick or close enough.

he will go; not a chance he stays.

GorgeZag
Hart was the team.

Upward
Unfinished business.

+1
It will be interesting to see where his draft stock falls. It doesn't help that he has graduated already IMO.

Hoopaholic
03-23-2013, 07:34 PM
I support whatever the great young mans decision ends up being....will always be a part of the zag family...but would love to have him back

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
He shouldn't but maybe he will.

Regretfully, he really shouldn't stay. But I really really hope he does.

zagamatic
03-23-2013, 07:47 PM
I am really hoping that my feeling is right and that he'll test the waters WITHOUT AN AGENT. No guaranteed money and I think he'll be back with an agenda

Kiddwell
03-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Regretfully, he really shouldn't stay. But I really really hope he does.

Maybe a shot next year at NCAA National POY will entice him to postpone his millions till the following season. (Here's hoping.)

:]

allnet59
03-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Kelly isn't ready yet for the NBA. Seriously lacking a half court hook shot. Please come back and perfect it and you too can make the YouTube trick shot video. Money is the root of all evils too. Especially when it comes with lots of zeros behind it.

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Kelly isn't ready yet for the NBA. Seriously lacking a half court hook shot. Please come back and perfect it and you too can make the YouTube trick shot video. Money is the root of all evils too. Especially when it comes with lots of zeros behind it.

Thank you... first good chuckle I've had since the loss.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2013, 07:59 PM
kelly is no lottery pick ...... late first

MJ777
03-23-2013, 08:12 PM

:cheers::roll:

zagco
03-23-2013, 08:16 PM
If he is not high first round, it might not be a bad decision to come back since you have experienced guards to deliver the rock. He could really pad his numbers. Is he taking MBA classes now?

coolhandzag
03-23-2013, 08:21 PM

NBA teams draft on potential. More or less. Where Kelly will fall is difficult to say, but I do not believe he will be lottery pick. Whatever he selects to do I wish him the best.

zagdad
03-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Thank you Kelly for working so hard in your redshirt year and giving us so many great games this year. You need to do what is right for you, but I'd love to see you come back next year. I see Sacre, Pargo, Daye, and Ronny not getting many minutes of playing time on their teams. That can't be fun just sitting and watching your team play. That's why I hope you come back because you'd get plenty of playing time again next year and have a chance to continue to work on your skills and game. You'd also get to continue playing with a great group of teammates whom you consider family.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Thank you Kelly for working so hard in your redshirt year and giving us so many great games this year. You need to do what is right for you, but I'd love to see you come back next year. I see Sacre, Pargo, Daye, and Ronny not getting many minutes of playing time on their teams. That can't be fun just sitting and watching your team play. That's why I hope you come back because you'd get plenty of playing time again next year and have a chance to continue to work on your skills and game. You'd also get to continue playing with a great group of teammates whom you consider family.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talks, or sits as the case may be. kelly is a bright, cool, kind, spirited guy. he wont find much to be comfortable with in the NBA but he will have bank.

tarzanello
03-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Jimmer came back, and look what it did for him (not talking about his pro career, referring to his senior year). KO should come back.

Vanzagger
03-23-2013, 09:12 PM
It's Dower's and Karno's turn. Work hard big fellas.

gonwick
03-23-2013, 09:19 PM
If kelly doesnt come back, this team is in big big trouble. Sam is sam, and will likely not change. Karnowski has tremendous upside but I fear he will play backup center for Poland, which will stunt his growth/conditioning. Edwards is a redshirt waiting to happen, and unless there is a super secret juco or transfer with immediate availability we are in deep doodoo.

VinnyZag
03-23-2013, 09:19 PM
The 2014 draft class is much stronger than the 2013 class. Olynyk could go from late first rounder this year to second rounder next. He should go. Hope I'm wrong.

bostonzagfan
03-23-2013, 09:26 PM
if ko is satisfied with 8-22 and a loss in the round of 32, then i want him to go.

thickman1
03-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Dear Ronny,
Please call Kelly and advise him of the benefits of staying for his Senior year. It worked out pretty well for you.

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2013, 10:04 PM

I'll make a username bet. If he's a lottery pick, you have to change your handle to the name of my choice. If he's not, I'll change my name to your liking. Deal?

zagballer6
03-24-2013, 07:35 AM
if ko is satisfied with 8-22 and a loss in the round of 32, then i want him to go.

Yes, because that is the only consideration here. Obviously if he leaves it is because he was satisfied with the way the season ended...

cjm720
03-24-2013, 07:39 AM
He should with Pangos and Bell back.

Exactly!

zagco
03-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Look at what happened to USC's quarterback who returned, Barkley. The only hesitation Zagco has to leaving is if you do have support returning. You can improve your numbers. In that case, you could make money. It depends, of course, on how high you would be drafted. There is a way to analyze it, although sports is not a sure thing.

GUDan07
03-24-2013, 07:46 AM
As much as i would love to see him back next year, he need look no further than Harris to see why he should go. Harris was in the lottery discussion, now he's an early second rounder. That decision cost him millions.

NEC26
03-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Kelly is most likely gone but good for him and this program for getting to were he is today. I do think we should keep in mind that Few and company have done quite well developing less highly regarded recruits.
Good luck to Kelly in his future endeavors you were absolutely fantastic this year.

NEC26
03-24-2013, 07:54 AM
As much as i would love to see him back next year, he need look no further than Harris to see why he should go. Harris was in the lottery discussion, now he's an early second rounder. That decision cost him millions.

Harris would never have been a lottery pick hence why he came back.

GUDan07
03-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Harris would never have been a lottery pick hence why he came back.

Never said he would be, I said he was in the discussion. He was at worst a mid first rounder.

deathchina
03-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Kelly had a lot of trouble finishing at the rim in this game. And he also looked very uncomfortable defending in space. Those will be his biggest issues at the pro level. Well, that and jumping with the better athletes for rebounds.

Jedster
03-24-2013, 08:18 AM
If kelly doesnt come back, this team is in big big trouble. Sam is sam, and will likely not change. Karnowski has tremendous upside but I fear he will play backup center for Poland, which will stunt his growth/conditioning. Edwards is a redshirt waiting to happen, and unless there is a super secret juco or transfer with immediate availability we are in deep doodoo.

This is my thought as well. I really worry about our bigs next year. For as good as Dower is offensively, I worry about having to rely on him in the middle next year. He's got to improve his focus, defense and decision making a lot the next six months. PK has a ton of upside, but he still has a long ways to go. As good as Pangos was this year (and Bell for a chunk of it) they are going to have to carry this team next year. It will help if Coleman, Nunez, and KD have a big impact next year as well.

deathchina
03-24-2013, 08:23 AM
The main thing PK needs to fix is being stronger with the ball. How often does he get his paws on a rebound or post entry pass, only to have a guard come from behind and knock it away? He also needs to strengthen his base and get better at sealing his man off and presenting a good target for the post entry pass. A counter move would be nice as well. Defending GU's bigs is going to be pretty easy next year if all the opposing coach has to say is "DON'T LET THEM GET TO THEIR RIGHT SHOULDER" over and over again.

Ezag
03-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Kelly is good as gone. PK need some serious work....he is the rawest big man Zag I have ever seen

GUDan07
03-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Kelly is good as gone. PK need some serious work....he is the rawest big man Zag I have ever seen

Mamery Diallo, Callum Mcleod, Will Foster... I can go on.

The509sfinest
03-24-2013, 09:10 AM

PK has a wayyyyy bigger ceiling than all of them though. Has potential to be the best big in college basketball

Mr Vulture
03-24-2013, 09:26 AM

So are saying Kelly is bailing on the Zags if he chooses to do what is best for him? That he is happy with how the season ended or that he owes us? Why don't you lose the emotion of the loss and get into reality. Ridiculous!

Zag@LMU
03-24-2013, 09:54 AM
PK has a wayyyyy bigger ceiling than all of them though. Has potential to be the best big in college basketball
I disagree.

The509sfinest
03-24-2013, 10:08 AM
I disagree.

With which part, PK have a higher ceiling or has the potential to be the best big in cbb? Or both?

The509sfinest
03-24-2013, 10:10 AM
And im not trying to argue with you haha just asking, sometimes words don't come out right on the Internet haha

Mr Vulture
03-24-2013, 10:25 AM
I agree to a point on Karnowski, in that he has more upside than any true Center we have had. He will definantly have to work hard, but I think he will reach his potential. I tend to think that the biggest leap in development for post and point guards is typically between their Freshman and Sophomore years. I fully expect a legitimate inside threat next year in PK and who knows where he will be as a junior..

MickMick
03-24-2013, 10:46 AM

Rob Sacre wins this hands down unless we talk about Will Foster. Then you have opened up a big can of players.

vandalzag
03-24-2013, 10:47 AM
At this point nobody knows where he will land, since nobody knows how has declared for the draft. His dad has contacts in the NBA so he will have a great feel for his spot and he will look incredible during individual workouts.

If he does come back it would make for another fun season. If not it was a fun ride and he (like Harris, EDI, and Hart) are what this program and school are all about.

Ezag
03-24-2013, 11:44 AM

Yes but they all had someone in front of them that could play including Olynyk this year. Next year, PK will be the man and I am just saying he is far from ready to step in and make that move.

FuManShoes
03-24-2013, 12:04 PM
I don't really expect to Kelly to come back. But perhaps the biggest contribution he could give at this point would be to convince Karno to forgo playing summer ball for Poland and stick around Spokane to work with the strength trainer to shed pounds, add strength and coordination, and drill, drill, drill so he starts next year as a productive big who commands double teams and defends the hoop well enough that our guards don't need to sag.

Vanzagger
03-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Was scoring 20 in his sleep when he first got here. He is refining his game. He will get back to that.

Yeah I know it was against lesser competition Einstein

MDABE80
03-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Well, if you all remember, KO's Dad said they'd have to look hard at a top 14 pick.....less so as a 1st rounder will less money involved. I honestly think he might come back if he's a late 1st rounder (he doesn't look like a lotto kid to me). I do think he'd sit on a bench in the NBA. He's need some more time here. I don't know where his ceiling is but he might do himself lots of good if he stays.
If he could solidify his game, he might stay SOmething tells me we'r ein for a surprise. 2 years as an AA AND a better player might be good for him. One thing is certain, he'll do what he and his Dad think is best for him.

How we replace Elias is glaring as well. We kinda got used to Elias as a weapon with his 15-8 effort. I know Few has some good kids thinking......we'll see. Kelly returning would solidy us as a top 5 beginning next despite us losing in the round of 32.
THe medias having some fun with us right now but if we keep winning with this core of players, we'll be fine. Depends a lot of what other teams have coming back. One thing is obvious,........you cannot discount a team because they keep winning.

Bogozags
03-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Well, if you all remember, KO's Dad said they'd have to look hard at a top 14 pick.....less so as a 1st rounder will less money involved. I honestly think he might come back if he's a late 1st rounder (he doesn't look like a lotto kid to me). I do think he'd sit on a bench in the NBA. He's need some more time here. I don't know where his ceiling is but he might do himself lots of good if he stays.
If he could solidify his game, he might stay SOmething tells me we'r ein for a surprise. 2 years as an AA AND a better player might be good for him. One thing is certain, he'll do what he and his Dad think is best for him.

How we replace Elias is glaring as well. We kinda got used to Elias as a weapon with his 15-8 effort. I know Few has some good kids thinking......we'll see. Kelly returning would solidy us as a top 5 beginning next despite us losing in the round of 32.
THe medias having some fun with us right now but if we keep winning with this core of players, we'll be fine. Depends a lot of what other teams have coming back. One thing is obvious,........you cannot discount a team because they keep winning.

EH is going to be tough to replace too! Not sure if we have anyone on campus or in the works that can fill his shoes BUT I said the same for RS after last season, so who knows what the "big guy" has in store for us.

I believe KO IS NOT a Top 14 lotto nor even a 1st rounder at this point, for a 7 footer he was stopped many times from scoring. There might have been contact BUT that is what he will have to play through at the next level and I think the NBA scouts saw the same things I saw BUT with a more critical eye. KO was checked by the WSU players and they are nothing compared to what he will see in the NBA or D-League for that fact.

I am not saying he doesn't have skills BUT he did not dominate offensively and at this time, his defense is not strong enough to hold 4's or 5's in the NBA either.

IMO he needs to finish his RS senior year and work more on his offensive game and also his defense. He would be better served to also work on his shot from behind the arc. He has much potential and just needs to refine those skills a bit more.

I hope he doesn't make the same mistake AD made by leaving "early" for the money...Ronnie did stay and he improved his lot and Griffin stated very plainly, that he should of remained at OU for his senior year.

It isn't an easy decision for him to make but really believe he will be best served working his game one more year...as another stated, if he makes the club, he most likely will be a bench player just like Rob is this year....just MHO.

Jedster
03-24-2013, 03:37 PM
I too think KO is gone, but, he has shown that he will look further down the road than the immediate payoff if it will benefit him in the long run. Not many would take the RS year last year, but I think KO knew in the long run that would be best for him.

In some ways, staying an extra year in college to work on parts of his game could help pay bigger dividends down the road for him. Yes, if drafted it will be 100% basketball, but depending on the situation, he could see a lot of bench time. I think the argument could be made that staying at this level to refine things would help him transition better after next year. Lots of risk to stay though as well, that's why I think he's gone.

basketballzag
03-24-2013, 03:54 PM
I think KO comes back. Lottery pick in 2014. If he leaves now he is a late 1st rounder.

Chicken Ball
03-24-2013, 04:06 PM
I think KO comes back. Lottery pick in 2014. If he leaves now he is a late 1st rounder.
bbz, you've had great info in the past. I really want to believe this, but you just said a short time ago that KO's a top-10 pick ang would be gone. Has something changed?

UberZagFan
03-24-2013, 04:11 PM
As has been pointed out several times on this board, a player of KO's age/year that is projected first round rarely if ever improves his draft status by staying his senior year. And KO's senior year is a redshirt to boot.

Goodbye Kelly and thank you for giving everything you had to GU.

p.s. where did Griffin say he should have stayed for his senior year? Didn't he leave after his Soph year?

El Zag
03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
didnít get hurt too bad.

RenoZag
03-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Griffin did play two years @ OU. . .

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Griffin)

Birddog
03-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Griffen was raw after his Freshman year but would have been drafted. He elected to stay and try to improve and it worked. I've never heard him say he should have stayed for senior year but he has said staying the extra year was a good decision.

sylean
03-24-2013, 04:39 PM
just saying that his draft status is up in the air...nobody knows....but we do know that to get drafted is one thing.....to ACTUALLY PLAY and DO WELL is quite another.....playing and doing well pays off a lot better than a quick draft and no chance to stay on a nba team....just saying...

Virginia Zags Fan
03-25-2013, 10:14 AM

I think there will be a lot of talented 1 and 2 and dones coming out of Kentucky and other places next year.

Regardless, thank you to Kelly for your leadership and dedication to the program for the past 4 years. This last year was a sweet ride. I will be thrilled if the young man comes back for more. If he and his family decide going pro is right for him, then I wish him every success and lots of playing time!

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Makes sense to leave. Good luck if you do. Thanks for the pleasure of watching you play. Feel free to stay, though.

hegotit!
03-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Hope Kelly stays, but don't blame him for leaving for the big bucks! I think his decision will greatly determine the team's success next year. If he leaves those are mighty big shoes to fill!

Saxon_zag
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
If you pay attention at all to NBA draft classes this is the year for Kelly to go. No he's probably not quite a lottery talent but if there was ever a draft he could sneak into the late lottery like A. Daye, it's this one.

Saxon_zag
03-25-2013, 12:19 PM

Nope. Nearly 0 chance of him going higher in the 2014 class because of how much stronger it is than this coming one. Maybe if he came out and averaged 30 and 12

mgadfly
03-25-2013, 01:18 PM
I think the entire first round of the 2014 draft is reserved for Kentucky players.

gamagin
03-25-2013, 01:31 PM
it's up to him which direction he should go next. that would mean what he really needs to improve in his game and which venue would help most in that regard. My guess is training for the pros involves a lot more specialized time, analysis, direction and attention. There's a pro prep school for everything.

His age (22) has already been declared a liability a few reports I've read or seen. I don't know if that's how the pros look at it. But it might matter.

If I were his father, I'd be getting all kinds of analysis about whether he has completely matured physically yet.

I think he still needs more leg strength & better foot speed, even though that has improved dramatically. Around the rim, he remains vulnerable, whether it's just the bad habit of playing off the glass or just in need of more hops (I vote both).

His flexibility I think is world class. I've seen him do stetching and he seems as pliable as Gumby, or a five year old at gym class. He is excellent in that category. the best I've seen for a big, certainly at GU. I believe it has kept him healthy, too.

His dad will likely get a big vote, being his mentor and coach as well. He doesn't need more education. He will walk with a major and a master's.

conclusion: I think the reasons to go outweigh the reasons to stay. I want him to stay because I think as a senior he'd return and help GU really light up the world of college basketball. Of course, that has already happened if anyone has that on their bucket list.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
didnít get hurt too bad.

Dwayne Wade left after his junior year having played only two full seasons of college ball. If he had left after his sophomore year, he actually might have been drafted higher than he was, instead of competing against LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony for the first spot in the draft.

Some guys improve their draft stock by staying around for an extra year or two. Others don't. In Olynyk's case, I suspect that his draft stock will never be higher than it is at the moment. He might improve as a player with another year of play, but he might not. His performance could suffer for not having a great second big man on the roster next to him when Elias isn't there. Even worse, he could suffer an injury. Even a minor nagging injury that limits his production without sidelining him could be very harmful to his draft stock.

In my mind, the one possible advantage to staying is letting him play a year at the four spot while Karno and Dower hold down the 5. I think that the 4 is his natural position in the NBA. If he really believes he has something left to show the scouts, that extra year might help.

cjm720
03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
So much more in life than money,but it's impossible to convince that to 95% of the world let alone a 21 y/o kid who's life long dream is to make the league.

I wish you the best of luck, KO.

Hoopaholic
03-25-2013, 02:39 PM
I suspect he tests the water without an agent unless they find he is a top 14 pick (which I dont believe he is at this stage)

former1dog
03-25-2013, 02:42 PM
So much more in life than money,but it's impossible to convince that to 95% of the world let alone a 21 y/o kid who's life long dream is to make the league.

I wish you the best of luck, KO.

I agree. From all accounts, though, Mr. Olynyk has gotten as much from 4 years of college as anyone. 2 degrees, lots of success and life time friendships.

If he can now take advantage of his college experience to get filthy rich, well, that's kind of the point of why you go to college. At least one of the reasons.

john montana
03-25-2013, 02:57 PM
His only reason to come back...team success and individual accolades/limelight. He would be the poster child for next year's college basketball season, on the cover of magazines, video games etc. but he isn't going to change any scouts minds. He is what he is...a very skilled big man, but he is not going to blow anyone away athletically. In the league, he'll be effective if he lands on a team with a major athlete down low, where he can play the high post, etc. If he has to be a 5 in the NBA, he'll struggle. He had a tough time scoring efficiently against WSU, try on Tyson Chandler or Noah. Let's face it, he isn't going to be taking 20 shots a game in the NBA...he'll need to score efficiently to play. I love the kid, have since his freshman year and really hope he comes back to take the college basketball world by storm. My assumption though...he's gone.

vandalzag
03-25-2013, 03:10 PM
His only reason to come back...team success and individual accolades/limelight. He would be the poster child for next year's college basketball season, on the cover of magazines, video games etc. but he isn't going to change any scouts minds. He is what he is...a very skilled big man, but he is not going to blow anyone away athletically. In the league, he'll be effective if he lands on a team with a major athlete down low, where he can play the high post, etc. If he has to be a 5 in the NBA, he'll struggle. He had a tough time scoring efficiently against WSU, try on Tyson Chandler or Noah. Let's face it, he isn't going to be taking 20 shots a game in the NBA...he'll need to score efficiently to play. I love the kid, have since his freshman year and really hope he comes back to take the college basketball world by storm. My assumption though...he's gone.

Unless he has an epiphany on taking the ball hard to the basket and he will be a pick and pop type big ( and a good one). The fear is that he will be asked to be something that he is not (similar to the Bobcats asking Morrison to be a spot up shooter). I just think the skill set will be too hard to ignore. If Zeller is lottery pick than so is KO.

Zagpower
03-25-2013, 03:11 PM
The Pros would argue that Kelly would improve his skill level quicker by practicing daily against other NBA caliber players on his own team than what he gets practicing against second team Zags and playing against WCC talent at his position. I believe he is restricted in the number of hours he can practice with a college team and work with coaches during the season and non-season. Those restrictions would be removed. The NBA is not drafting finished products in most cases. Skills don't stop improving once you leave college. Lots of 7 footers have added midrange jumpers after arriving in the league. KO aready has one. I think he will blow away the scouts when he gets to show off his individual skills. I suspect he'll be a 4.

I would love to see him stay. My guess he'll leave and be a fine pro. He improved in one year more than any other player I have ever seen and provided quite the memorable year. I'd like to see that mid-career red shirt used by others but don't suppose that will ever be the norm.

Has there ever been a First Team All American with less preseason buzz than KO? I recall reading more than a couple preseason previews of GU that touted our backcourt as our strength followed by Harris and Dower. If mentioned at all it was generally after the guards, Harris, Dower, and even Karno. One of the Draft sites had Karno as a mid-first round pick after next season. KO was not listed in any of their mocks. This was all before the season started. What a year!