PDA

View Full Version : A Great Season Overall

Virginia Zags Fan
03-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Very proud of our guys. They brought home the 1st number 1 ranking and seed and first 30 win season.

It was a lot of fun I really enjoyed. Thanks guys!

Zaglaw
03-23-2013, 07:21 PM
+1

Zags11
03-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Not really. Pretty much a joke. Bombed in 2nd rd.

katman50
03-23-2013, 07:32 PM

Agree. Nevertheless, thanks for an enjoyable season. Sorry we had to flame out like this. Thought we had it in the bag, the second half.

worldzag
03-23-2013, 07:33 PM

+1

If we are the program we believed ourselves to be then winning in the tournament is proof. We don't have that proof.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Have a beer.

Cavebear33
03-23-2013, 07:46 PM
It was a great season. Didn't end where we wanted it to, but number one rankings in the national polls and a number one seed in the NCAA tournament are historic marks for any school, much less one of Gonzaga's size. Tonight's game was a disappointment, those freaky shooting percentages on threes that every opponent seems to come up with, our missed free throws, inconsistent officiating - which is almost every game now it seems. How they missed that travel before one of the threes that turned the game around is beyond me, but it is what it is. I know it's probably not going to happen, but I'd love to see Kelly come back to finish the task next year. Can you imagine what the team would be like with him still in the lineup? Great job guys - I wish it could have gone on for a few games more.

jayray
03-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Great season, but didn't live up to our expectations and you know it didn't live up to the expectations of the team. Where was Harris the last two games? It seemed like he was wearing cement shoes. We needed him to show up, that was the difference in my opinion.

zagapotomus
03-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Great season, but didn't live up to our expectations and you know it didn't live up to the expectations of the team. Where was Harris the last two games? It seemed like he was wearing cement shoes. We needed him to show up, that was the difference in my opinion.

Harris got used to ALL THE AND-1's, every damn WCC game. Come tourney time, those either weren't called or they weren't fouls. He's money from the line (great!) but against big athletic teams that can get up, he's somewhat neutralized

jaydee77
03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Hey. Great season. Proud of the basketball team and our school. I wish every poster could actually have a sense of what it means to go to school and graduate from G.U. Truly a unique experience. We lost. So what. Zag basketball is not a brand or a franchise. It is part of the University. I could not be more proud. Go Zags. See you in Maui.

FuManShoes
03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Agree it was a great (regular) season and was especially thrilled by the emergence of Mike Hart and Kelly's transformation. Hardest part, well besides the grand missed opportunity to venture deep in the Dance when things were aligned our way, was Elias Harris' ignominious Dance. He had his moments tonight but overall was just not the same player he's been at GU these past four years. I wish him well, and all of Zag Nation.

bartruff1
03-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Very proud of our guys. They brought home the 1st number 1 ranking and seed and first 30 win season.

It was a lot of fun I really enjoyed. Thanks guys!

A great year...those are the high water marks for me...thanks guys..

Can't wait till next season..

GU69
03-23-2013, 08:10 PM
It was a great season.

It's a little hard to take right now, but eventually this will be one of my favorite seasons. Hart, Harris, Olynyk . . . Pangos, Bell, Stockton . . . Great memories and a great year.

Zags11
03-23-2013, 08:11 PM
It was a wonderful regular season. Mountains were climbed. Post season has a ceiling.

Mantua
03-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Thank you Zags for a great season!

I'm always and forever a fan of Team 2012-13!

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-23-2013, 08:15 PM
I can't say I'm not disappointed.
This team has nothing to be ashamed of.
I hope they get 'em next year.

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2013, 08:17 PM
I can't say I'm not disappointed.
This team has nothing to be ashamed of.
I hope they get 'em next year.

Oh but they do... just ask Zags11.

Zags11
03-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Oh but they do... just ask Zags11.

LOL......Your funny. The kids were excellent.

Once and Future Zag
03-23-2013, 08:19 PM

You sound pretty happy about that.

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2013, 08:20 PM
LOL......Your funny. The kids were excellent.

Get that site up soon. Otherwise quit #####ing.

lothar98zag
03-23-2013, 08:22 PM
First #1 ranking, first 30+ win season, first 18-0 WCC season, first #1 seed. A realife Rudy (that actually played), a Top 5 all time 4 yr Zag, & an out of nowhere All-American.

Definitely a great overall season.

(last yr lost in 2nd round in a close game also, but was not a great year. If given the choice between last year & this year, I'd relive this year 100% of the time. Actually, there's probably 1 or 2 zag seasons I'd pick over this one. & fwiw, all of them have ended with a loss.)

strikezag
03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
The Zags are not an elite team. Never have been, nor will they ever be an elite team. But I'm okay with that. The Zags have surpassed every hope that I ever had for them as a program.

Hoopaholic
03-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Define elite?

HOOTER
03-23-2013, 08:49 PM
This is the now the norm. Get used to it.

Zag@LMU
03-23-2013, 08:51 PM
This season was basically like taking a class and aceing every test but sleeping through the final. You might get a 60% and pass, but in the grand scheme of things you are still below average.

Zagtana
03-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Fantastic season, what a wonderful bunch of young men, made this person very proud. Wouldn't trade them for any other team, or coaching staff for that matter. Class act all-around. Go Zags.

TexasZagFan
03-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Fantastic season, what a wonderful bunch of young men, made this person very proud. Wouldn't trade them for any other team, or coaching staff for that matter. Class act all-around. Go Zags.

Horse puckey!!! Bring back Adrian Buoncristiani. :drool:

I graduated from GU over 35 years ago...I'll take the disappointment and move on. That's life, and Easter Sunday is a mere 7 days away.

My memories of this season will always be dominated by the road trip my son and I made to Stillwater, the game, spending time with the players after the game, they were all class acts.

Shake off the disappointment and move on...

Fonebone
03-23-2013, 09:47 PM
It was a great season. I have no complaint. As coach few said, tonight does not define the season. Many will disagree with that. That's ok.

We don't live in an ideal world, where every wish comes true, and all results are perfect. Tonight has to be disappointing, what else could it be for us? But that does not mean that it was not a magical, fantastic season.

To paraphrase a very wise man who lived 2,000 years ago, let those of us who have achieved perfection in our own lives define this season as anything other than a great, spectacular success.

I think this season elevates the program, I think we will be function at an even higher level than before in many ways.

HOOTER
03-23-2013, 09:51 PM
My memories of this season will always be dominated by the road trip my son and I made to Stillwater, the game, spending time with the players after the game, they were all class acts.

Shake off the disappointment and move on...

Tell us about how you used to walk to school up hill both ways in the snow with no shoes.

I'm glad you had fun, but that doesn't change the big picture.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Yep. We handled the #1 ranking terribly and paid for it.

HOW DUMB ARE THOSE #1 SHIRTS NOW???

TheGonzagaFactor
03-23-2013, 10:27 PM
This season was basically like taking a class and aceing every test but sleeping through the final. You might get a 60% and pass, but in the grand scheme of things you are still below average.

Our best wins were against 1st round flame outs. We weren't that good. Fringe top 20 team that didn't play anyone.. fwiw I didn't want to admit it either.

Zags11
03-24-2013, 12:08 AM
fireliz.com. lol jokin

dogademic
03-24-2013, 02:00 AM
Define elite?

Maybe this has been said before, and I am not a basketball expert, but what if's are just what if's in the end. Although we haven't yet experienced watching our team go to the Final Four, I am not sure which is better: having a team that excites, entertains, and inspires year after year or having a team that makes a splash now and then. Next fall I will be just as excited to watch as I am every year. Now it's time for spring.

Zagger
03-24-2013, 03:36 AM
One heck of a thrilling season! I know my heart is good to go for at least another 10 years after the paces it has been through watching Zags games! Can't thank the Zags enough for that. What just put the icing on the cake for me for this season was being able to watch Mike Hart take two 3 point shots in one game and sink them both! I'd been hoping he'd shoot more often as the season progressed. Too bad Wichita won by the 3 in the game Mike sunk two himself.

What a year though! College basketball at its best IMHO. I wish Kelly all the best in whatever path he takes and will greatly miss Hart, Harris and Edi. This year was FUN and will be hard to beat. But, with both Kevin and Gary & gang around for 2013-2014 ... I just hope I'll be fortunate enough to see more games in person. The Zags are a great team to be a fan of - thrilling, exciting, and never ever boring! In my dang near 61 years on this planet I've never been more appreciative of a sports team than I am of the Zag programs that have come through Gonzaga University. For my final time this year....

Go ZAGS !

ZagaZags
03-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Next year will be our year to go far in the NCAA. ( I was thinking this was the year ) But next year it is.

McZag
03-24-2013, 04:26 AM

If you folks view at the entire season in this light, you have years of despair in front of you and Gonzaga is not the right home for you.

AlwaysZagFan
03-24-2013, 06:25 AM
This team was very special to the two of us at this house. So many feel good stories - Elias with his four years of dedication and record breaking talent, Mike Hart coming from seemingly nowhere and endearing us with his heart, Edi with his continuing good-natured support of the team, and Kelly's emergence onto the national stage after a red shirt year. Others on the team grew in the game before our very eyes.

Today we'll grieve for what might have been, but we can only imagine how bad our young men and the coaches and staff who spent so many hours with them must feel. We hurt for them because we love them. The end of the season always leaves a void - after all, we have spent the winter thinking about and enjoying ZAG basketball. Perhaps, over the season, our expectations became unreasonable.

When we look back on this season, we will say it was one of the very most successful and enjoyable seasons ever. New heights were reached and that can't ever be taken away. We, and our many friends and neighbors who are ZAG fans, appreciate their many accomplishments. This team took us on an incredible journey.

We'll soon be looking forward to next season's ZAG basketball. We hope for wonderful surprises!

gonwick
03-24-2013, 06:27 AM
It's an interesting wrinkle on this season that some in season losses may have helped. No pressure of a number 1 seed. Plus, I'd love Arizona's seed this year. Oh well. Next year is probably going to be very challenging, particularly as there is not much immediate upside in next years's recruiting. We are in for a down few years or more.

HOOTER
03-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Next year will be our year to go far in the NCAA. ( I was thinking this was the year ) But next year it is.

I never get tired of seeing stuff like this year after year.

TexasZagFan
03-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Tell us about how you used to walk to school up hill both ways in the snow with no shoes.

I'm glad you had fun, but that doesn't change the big picture.

Nope...grew up in the Bay Area...no snow.

Many more mountatins to climb before we get to the promised land. Hang in there!

jim77
03-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the thrills ZAGS. The Players and staff did a great job....lot of firsts this year. Thank you seniors! Mike H.... "E"... GLE......appreciate the hard work...best of luck in whatever life brings you're way. Kelly O......best of luck in whatever you decide......Zag Nation would LOVE to see you come back!

ZagaZags
03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
I never get tired of seeing stuff like this year after year.

That was why I posted it. ( Groundhog Day )

cjm720
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Thank you Zags....my favorite season in a year of many. Work hard and stay thirsty.

HOOTER
03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
That was why I posted it. ( Groundhog Day )

Oh... gotcha. Well in that case, I agree. Definitely next year for sure.

gamagin
03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
when you post like this:

I'm thinking you have let Bert take over here. I'm thinking, too, he comes up with this parable (allegory?) because his head is made of cloth and his brain is stuffed with straw. Or perhaps shards of foam rubber. Or both. In any event, Bert is sort of likable but seldom gets things right. His Wiki bio notes he's "grumpy, boring and easily frustrated. He's taller and thinner of the two, wears a turtleneck . . . has a unibrow & a head that is narrower than it is high."

I'm glad I could sort this matter out. This post and most of Bert's lately, just make a lot of sense to me now that I can realize it's coming from Bert.

Well played.

deathchina
03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
I remember thinking a couple weeks ago that even IF we made a run to the F4, that wouldn't necessarily change the reality of Gonzaga basketball. Might put us on a couple more recruiting lists, might secure us another Austin Daye or Matt bouldin level recruit, but then again, it might not. Getting to the Final Four wasn't gonna change the location of the school, the conference affiliation, or the other barriers (those I won't get into because THAT topic would get messy quickly) to securing higher level recruits. A Final Four wasn't going to get us a new basketball arena, a new television contract..I could go on.

What a Final Four WOULD have done was win this program a little grudging respect from the naysayers, and there are PLENTY of them out there. And that's what saddens me....I still feel great about the integrity of our program, and am optimistic about future success...but we really did our program's perception a disservice.

But then we shouldn't care what they're saying ANYWAYS right?