PDA

View Full Version : So how good was that 99 team?

MickMick
03-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Played eventual champ UConn to the final couple possessions.

Looking like by far, the best GU team ever.

krozman
03-23-2013, 07:14 PM
The '99 team is the only one that exceeded expectations instead of falling far short, so ya, it reigns supreme.

zagco
03-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Monson instilled a much different vibe. Play to win. Be a hunter.

JAGzag
03-23-2013, 07:16 PM
They were hungry. Been awhile since we've seen that desire.

katman50
03-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks men for the great season. Naturally I"m very disappointed. Their 3's were hitting, we were careless. Very disappointing. Thanks Kelly for the great year, and Kevin, looking forward to seeing you a couple more years. I'm bummed out. A tough loss. Not much else to say. Oh well, can quit drinking my wine for a bit, get out and do yard work, etc. Frankly, I"m not interested in the Dance anymore this season. My one and only team lost. Very sad. Thanks for all of you guys who streamed the games for all of us without cable. Bummer! Going to bed.

TM27
03-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Monson got the most out of those kids. Really good coach

bartruff1
03-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Monson instilled a much different vibe. Play to win. Be a hunter. How has he done since 99 ???

jazzdelmar
03-23-2013, 07:19 PM
they had 5 Harts with talent.....this year just one, maybe two....

BJZags
03-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Best "team" ever to wear a Zag uniform. No question.

zagco
03-23-2013, 07:22 PM
We play like a team that expects to win, gets rattled by athletes, and is terrified to lose.

maynard g krebs

Agree. Great a coach as Few is, the team doesn't play loose and free in the tourney like Monson's team did.

Everybody knows the team is gonna force it inside at all costs. Need more balance.

That said, I think it's a different result if GB doesn't go down.

MJ777
Best "team" ever to wear a Zag uniform. No question.

But were they athletes or students of the game?

Radbooks
03-23-2013, 07:23 PM
They could play loose, like the true underdogs we see now - Southern and Florida Gulf Coast, etc. When you have nothing to lose you can just go out loose and relaxed.

WallaWallaZag
03-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Agree. Great a coach as Few is, the team doesn't play loose and free in the tourney like Monson's team did.

agree with this...while few is a good coach, he's also wound super tight and a team is usually a reflection of its coach. a lot of zag players are hesitant to make plays...

BJZags
03-23-2013, 07:32 PM
But were they athletes or students of the game?

Maybe not athletes, but perhaps the best students of the game. I remember watching that run and marveling at how every play seem to build on each other to a positive result. For whatever reason it just clicked during those two weeks.

MJ777
03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Maybe not athletes, but perhaps the best students of the game. I remember watching that run and marveling at how every play seem to build on each other to a positive result. For whatever reason it just clicked during those two weeks.

I would classify Santagelo, Hall and Calvary as athletes. I agree about how the team clicked and played with confidence. I don't remember, but was their 3 point defense better than the Zags 3 pt D tonight?

Virginia Zags Fan
03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
They were really, really, good. Agree that they peaked at just the right time. During the chat with Matt S., I asked if this team or the '99 team would win a game. He thought the '99 team 7 out of 10 times.

Upward
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
They played free, There was no pressure or expectations on them.

Larrylegend
03-23-2013, 10:57 PM
If one judges by what happens in March, the '99 team is the gold standard of Gonzaga basketball.

deathchina
03-23-2013, 11:10 PM
A lot of postseason success boils down to luck. We all worship the 99 team and deservedly so, but what if the calvary tip in hits back iron and bounces out? What if they don't luck into a matchup with a Minnesota team that lost 4 players right before the game because of academic violations?

What if we don't melt down against UCLA in the final minute? Probably still lose to Memphis but add another elite 8.

What if Goodson doesn't go coast to coast in 2009? Would we still think of that team was the one that "got unlucky to run into the buzzsaw that was UNC".

The 99 team was good AND lucky. The Gonzaga's of the world need both to survive and advance.

2wiceright
03-23-2013, 11:33 PM
One big thing people are forgetting is this team, as good as they were, were playing with that "best team in the land" weight on their backs. I saw Casey Calvary talking about that the other night saying, "we didn't care what seed we were, we were just thrilled to make it to the dance!"

Not making excuses, just MHO, but we had two sophmore guards out there, until Bell got hurt and missed most of the second half, along with a freshman in Draginis (2nd half) and they did look like they were carrying the expectations of all of the Zagnation on their backs! Because they were....

Until we have 3 All-americans on our team, I'll take a 3 or 4 seed any day (without the ratings) and play the part of the underdogs any day of the month!It's too bad though, had we pulled this off IT SEEMS we would have had an easier time winning the sweet 16 game. (Of course, being #1 team in the country by rank, whomever we played would have shot daggers like Ammo for the first time in their season, LOL)....

I will always be proud of these guys and Coaches for what they did accomplish this year....

hoopaddict
03-23-2013, 11:53 PM
How has he done since 99 ???

Agreed. It's easy to throw the coach under the proverbial bus after another second (third now I guess) round exit. Maybe we should fire Few so we can go back to the years before he showed up as an assistant and then as our head coach. At least that way a bunch of these pseudo-fans that show up for games at the Kennel would quit attending and I could get back into a game again.

Zags11
03-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Agreed. It's easy to throw the coach under the proverbial bus after another second (third now I guess) round exit. Maybe we should fire Few so we can go back to the years before he showed up as an assistant and then as our head coach. At least that way a bunch of these pseudo-fans that show up for games at the Kennel would quit attending and I could get back into a game again.

lol same

ZagaZags
03-24-2013, 04:29 AM
I will see how many games Gonzaga has lost when we are the favorite. ( In March Madness )

bartruff1
03-24-2013, 04:35 AM

Agreed...fair weather fans...getting on the band wagon and they will get off just as fast when they have nothing to gain in reflected status.

Monson caught lightning that year and he hasn't done much since.

GrizZAG
03-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Did the 99 team run into a 14 tre buzzsaw in their second game out? I believe this team well could have gone at least another game or two had the chips fallen differently in a few areas. Extreme luck by WSU shooting all the threes, refs not calling ALL the fouls underneath, Bell hurt and more.

Few's success has shown all season helping this team to not fold under pressure over and over so I don't put this on him at all. We came out flat and finished flat, but were mauled too. This team was far better than a round of 32 imo.
Really agree that our opponents play loose with nothing to lose.

DixieZag
03-24-2013, 06:00 AM
The 99 team was playing at a much higher level, playing much looser than this team did and had a lot more confidence in itself. The 99 team executed at a national championship level and might have gotten to the FF if not having to face UCONN at the elite 8 point.

I am surprised at Santangelo's comment about winning 7 out of 10 games against this team, though. Perhaps, if one presumes that in all those games Santangelo's team is playing at the same level of execution they were in the tournament but I suspect he might be forgetting that his team was very late developing

Playing just straight up, I would have guessed that they split or this team would have won 6 or 7.

Rio Runner
03-24-2013, 06:51 AM
That said, I think it's a different result if GB doesn't go down.

Laughable.

Birddog
03-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Laughable.
Laughable, back atcha

Zag79
03-25-2013, 01:24 AM

Bingo. Monson was the difference, look what he is doing at long beach. He would have taken one of these teams past the round of 32, without a doubt.

vandalzag
03-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Bingo. Monson was the difference, look what he is doing at long beach. He would have taken one of these teams past the round of 32, without a doubt.

Based on what (also which teams, are you talking the same teams that Few took the round of 16 or others?). He has coached for 12 years since leaving GU 2 NCAA first round losses and 4 NIT births. One could also say that Dan has gone flat since leaving and not have Mark as co-coach(which is what he was in 99). No such thing as without a doubt.
Lets just say Monson stays and the staff stays intact. Most likely Tommy Lloyd does not come on board because Snyder is still in that roll and Leon Rice has been brought on in some capacity.IF that happens and there goes the Euro pipeline and maybe GU foray into Canada. Too many if's. This is the same as when Grier's USD team got hot and people were posting that he should be the coach not Few.

Zag79
03-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Based on what (also which teams, are you talking the same teams that Few took the round of 16 or others?). He has coached for 12 years since leaving GU 2 NCAA first round losses and 4 NIT births. One could also say that Dan has gone flat since leaving and not have Mark as co-coach(which is what he was in 99). No such thing as without a doubt.
Lets just say Monson stays and the staff stays intact. Most likely Tommy Lloyd does not come on board because Snyder is still in that roll and Leon Rice has been brought on in some capacity.IF that happens and there goes the Euro pipeline and maybe GU foray into Canada. Too many if's. This is the same as when Grier's USD team got hot and people were posting that he should be the coach not Few.

Based on what Monson did with the 99 team, I think he could have really done something with this squad. For some reason or another we lost the same way, and this team was much more capable. Few is a great head coach, and it'd be near impossible to replace him. We just need some defensive adjustments, most likely an assistant that specializes in that or a philosophy change. Get that done and we can take the next step.

maynard g krebs
03-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Laughable.

Whatever you say, genius. I suppose you didn't notice that Bell's man didn't leave him for a second, which shows Marshall's respect for his elite shooting ability. Not to mention his defensive effect.

In another thread stat guru Caduceus points out his plus/minus rating of 18, thirteenth in the nation.

I'd be embarrassed if I'd posted what I quoted here.

McZag
03-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Monson has exactly 1 sweet sixteen in his career, never had the vision Few had to create a brand at Gonzaga and has made less money than Few, which is why he left in the first place. No thanks. MF is head and shoulders above him.

Ekrub
03-25-2013, 07:48 PM
99 team is glorified. Sorry, I know that's practically sac religious around here. But look at their losses. Great team, and to be honest I have memories of memories of them playing at this point, but I'd take current GU squad 7/10 times. If they were that good they wouldn't have had those 7 or so losses (too lazy to check the real figure)

kclubfounder
03-25-2013, 07:52 PM
How has he done since 99 ???

:cheers:

Zags11
03-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Monson had a better team here then other teams. Could say Monson's recruiting class gave few 2 of his 4 sw 16s. After that its been 2 in 12 yrs. Huh? Funny.

:bishop_smiley:

Zags11
03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
99 team is glorified. Sorry, I know that's practically sac religious around here. But look at their losses. Great team, and to be honest I have memories of memories of them playing at this point, but I'd take current GU squad 7/10 times. If they were that good they wouldn't have had those 7 or so losses (too lazy to check the real figure)

Rest of that class, minus a cpl made two sw16s after that.

Oregonzagnut
03-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Monson had a better team here then other teams. Could say Monson's recruiting class gave few 2 of his 4 sw 16s. After that its been 2 in 12 yrs. Huh? Funny.

:bishop_smiley:

Some could say that Fitz was behind any/all the recruiting that Monson did for his 2 years. The fact is, it's been a team effort. And while Monson and Few gathered together some of the best talent around them, Fitzgerald gathered some of the most talented staff around him.

And what we are reaping today is what Dan Fitzgerald sowed in the early/mid 90's.

It still gets better EVERY year.

Reborn
03-25-2013, 10:50 PM
The '99 Zags were awesome. At least in the NCAA tournament. Those were the only games I saw them play that year. They did not look like this year's Zags in the NCAA tournament at all. They looked more like Wichita St. They looked loose and confident, and could really shoot the 3 ball. And they were having a ball, much like Coastal Florida actually.

rennis
03-26-2013, 06:59 AM
I would classify Santagelo, Hall and Calvary as athletes. I agree about how the team clicked and played with confidence. I don't remember, but was their 3 point defense better than the Zags 3 pt D tonight?

Sigh...

Santagelo, Calvary, and Richie Frahm were three of the most athletic players at their position the program has seen. Perhaps the three MOST athletic. And each one of the better shooters at that position too. The 99 team wasn't just a plucky underdog. They were athletic in the backcourt, outright nasty at the 4-spot, well rounded, and smart.

Guards win NCAA tournament games. 99 won the most games for a simple, simple reason.

:shrug:

All that said, the 2013 team is the best team GU has ever had. Dominated the WCC, the OOC, broke all kinds of records. The 99 team was built for the tourney...this one just fell a tiny bit short. such is life.

Zags11
03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Some could say that Fitz was behind any/all the recruiting that Monson did for his 2 years. The fact is, it's been a team effort. And while Monson and Few gathered together some of the best talent around them, Fitzgerald gathered some of the most talented staff around him.

And what we are reaping today is what Dan Fitzgerald sowed in the early/mid 90's.

It still gets better EVERY year.

Fair enough. Yea it has gotten better during regular season. Its just a huge letdown. Dow years happen, Struggles happen but this was a punch to the gut. When Gonzaga lost to Indiana when Josh was suspended, Few and the players did all they could do.

I thought it was wonderful try by all involved. No regrets. This yr left a very sour taste in my mouth as did many others. Plus the PM's I am getting agreeing with me besides the replies...alot do.

I respect everyone's opinion...but when you throw out ANti-Few, or Ant-Zag because your producing factual evidence that its more then "Bad Luck"....and still getting black balled.....maybe others need to ahem...chech themselves.

Reborn
03-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Not only did they finish in the Elite 8 in '99 they finished in the Sweet 16 the year after. And in '99 they were one shot away from the finals, or you could also say one loose ball that they didn't come up with. I think there are several ways of thinking about the season. First a team's success is measured by how they do in the NCAA tournament. The second way of thinking is that the OOC games and the Conference games and tournament are more important. The final way is to say that both are important measures of success. I tend to fall into the first camp. I think that every game is important, every win is important, but there are certainly some games that are more important. The way GU finished the regular season was very impressive and who will ever forget being ranked #1 in the polls and given a #1 Seed in the NCAA tournament. Great, great accomplishments. But to have lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament, imo was inexcusable. And actually to have played the way the Zags did in those two games is really hard to understand. To me they played scared, played tentatively, and for me that is not a sign of a true great team.

I remember the '99 team quite well too, and I remember how they played, loose and unafraid and HAVING FUN on the biggest of all stages. And I can say the same thing about the 2000 team that finished in the Sweet 16 and the Morrison led team which also finished in the Sweet 16. To me these are the two greatest teams in GU history. Morrison took GU to another level in recruiting I believe. He made basketball look fun, and his passion for the game is unparalleled. This years team looked nothing like them.

This year's team may have a positive impact on future recruiting because they did reach the #1 ranking in both polls and received a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Yet, on the other hand because they once again failed to (at least) reach the Sweet 16, if not higher, it could have a negative impact on how high recruits see the program now. And certainly in can not be compared to the two teams I just mentioned.